PDA

View Full Version : Isn't it time to stop the negativity?

liam88
09/10/2005, 9:05 AM
As far as i'm concerned (and I never was into pessamisn) the time for analysis and negativity has been and gone. Wednesday is either going to send us through to the World Cup, put us within a wo leg game of the World Cup or be our last competitive game for pretty mcuh the next two years......forget the should have's and would haves between now and Wednesday we need to get 100% behind all the boys.....now's the chance for the fans to make the difference. Forget the past, grudges against the FAI/Brian Kerr/Roy KEane and just cheer on whoever is representing our country Wednesday night!

Jon'o
09/10/2005, 9:21 AM
though much of what you have said is right liam it removes the chance for most of us to have a go, when the groups were drawn we never gave our selfs a chance of even having a chance to finish top.

Everyone said france would win the group and it would be between us, israel and switzerland for second place. We had the chance to top the group and break free, i say the chance... three chances which we threw away.

so as expected we are playing for second place.... in the begining this was the best we were hoping for so wednesday is the chance to put things right and get into the playoffs.

Plastic Paddy
09/10/2005, 9:32 AM
Liam, do you remember an ITV news presenter by the name of Martyn Lewis? He was the one that complained that news reports did not contain enough good news. Wonder whatever became of him? :confused: :rolleyes: ;)

The fact remains that, given yesterday's performance, your optimism can be likened to an attempt at turd-polishing. We all want Ireland to win on Wednesday and will give them all our support, but can you honestly see us doing so in the light of yesterday's performance? You'd have to be some optimist to do so, that's for sure...

:ball: PP

brine3
09/10/2005, 9:34 AM
I can't see us winning, but then the greatest Irish performances have always appeared from nowhere when I'm convinced we have no chance of winning.

So you never know.

Jon'o
09/10/2005, 9:45 AM
Taken from the fai website, all is not lost, wonder who wrote this one? keep me away from the pills they are taking :D

Ireland can still win the group

Ireland can still win Group Four of the World Cup qualifying competition and go through automatically to the finals in Germany provided results fall their way in the final series of qualifying matches on Wednesday.

Israel currently lead the group with 18 points after their win over Faroe Islands but Israel have now completed their programme and must wait for Wednesday’s results to see whether they have accumulated enough points to figure.

France and Switzerland are locked in joint second position with 17 points after they drew their contest in Berne 1-1 while Ireland are fourth on 16 points after beating Cyprus 1-0.

France appear to be in the most favourable position going into the final series of matches — they play Cyprus in Paris and it would be a sensation if they were not to win.

A draw would be enough for France to be sure of second place and a play-off if the match in Dublin between Ireland and Switzerland does not prove to be conclusive.

A win for Switzerland in Dublin would see them finish first in the group and automatically through provided France do not beat Cyprus by more than four goals.

The incentive for Ireland, however, is that if they succeed in beating Switzerland then they are assured of at least second place and a play-off for a place in the finals.

And if Ireland win and France fail to beat Cyprus then Ireland will top the group.

liam88
09/10/2005, 10:01 AM
The fact remains that, given yesterday's performance, your optimism can be likened to an attempt at turd-polishing.

:D :D Classic!

I hear what your saying just as far as I see it moaning now won't do any good. Yes yesterday was dire-the team went to sleep after the 6th minute, Shay was the only one playing and a didn't see John O'Shea since the national anthem!
I just prey that they were trying not to overstretch themselves before Wednesday however unlikly that may be.
If I was Given I would have given the back four a right mouthful in the dressing room after the game! Mabye I should have gone to the Guildford/Bracknell match after all :D

But like I said the time for moaning has been and gone. It's our country-win on Wednesday and we have a chance for the World Cup, loose and we don't. As far as I can see that's end of story and it's not that hard a decision.

Junior
09/10/2005, 11:41 AM
Liam,

Euro2008 qualifiers will start in September next year!

Oh and we'll draw on Weds I fear...........

concanta
09/10/2005, 11:44 AM
i agree that it will be a very tough task and while i am not confident - if our defence kops itself on and plays for example as well it did against france - with shay behind them there is always a chance of nicking a goal...by hook or by crook

liam88
09/10/2005, 11:53 AM
Liam,

Euro2008 qualifiers will start in September next year!

Oh and we'll draw on Weds I fear...........

I still couldn't stand another tournament with the street full of England flags and no Irish team to cheer on :(

For what's it's worth I think we'll win.......you heard it here first ;)

Noelys Guitar
09/10/2005, 12:41 PM
Funnily enough we cannot EVER again play as badly as yesterday! It would be impossible. And good to see the "Greener's" self praise for Shay's save!
I mean the goalkeeper made a save from a penalty but to have a good team you have to have a good goalkeeper. Our goalkeeper is very good. We'd looked at the penalties. Cyprus have had penalties earlier in the group. We looked at the penalties in advance, the possibility of them getting a penalty.

Qwerty
09/10/2005, 4:52 PM
Mr Meticulous must not have heard Given say that Cyprus' regular penalty taker didn't take the one yesterday so Given had to guess. The more I hear from Kerr the most I feel this guy is out of his league, he can't handle the media and he doesn't seem to be able to get a 90 minute performance from top level professionals, what he doing to these these lads? I hope we win on Wednesday, but I am not expecting much. Our chances of getting to the WC are about 2 in 10 right now.