PDA

View Full Version : Don Givens (tout)

thejollyrodger
08/10/2005, 9:12 PM
can someone explain how the phrase tout was given to givens. I know about his antics at underage level and his complete lack of ability but I dont figure out how givens can be called any of the following definitions

5 entries found for tout.
tout Audio pronunciation of "tout" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (tout)
v. tout·ed, tout·ing, touts
v. intr.

1. To solicit customers, votes, or patronage, especially in a brazen way.
2. To obtain and deal in information on racehorses.

v. tr.

1. To solicit or importune: street vendors who were touting pedestrians.
2. Chiefly British. To obtain or sell information on (a racehorse or stable) for the guidance of bettors.
3. To promote or praise energetically; publicize: “For every study touting the benefits of hormone therapy, another warns of the risks” (Yanick Rice Lamb).

n.

1. Chiefly British. One who obtains information on racehorses and their prospects and sells it to bettors.
2. One who solicits customers brazenly or persistently: “The administration of the nation's literary affairs falls naturally into the hands of touts and thieves” (Lewis H. Lapham).
3. Chiefly Scots and Irish Slang. One who informs against others; an informer.

pete
09/10/2005, 5:55 PM
Some people are not happy with the way he hes said eL u21 players should be going back to england.

thejollyrodger
09/10/2005, 5:57 PM
I know, but how does that make him a tout? :S

pete
09/10/2005, 6:02 PM
By this:

To solicit customers, votes, or patronage, especially in a brazen way.

thejollyrodger
09/10/2005, 6:07 PM
doh. ok Pete. thanks for clearing that up for me.

A face
11/10/2005, 12:41 AM
Taken from another board ...

I thought it strange that Ward was getting his game for the U-21s for two games in a row, but then it struck me.

Promising young Irish player who is out of contract at his Irish club at the end of the season...Don Givens is the Manager...how could I have been so nieve