PDA

View Full Version : Commissioner looks to the future after sorry season

Éanna
30/04/2002, 1:31 PM
el.net (http://redbrick.dcu.ie/~jw/29-4-4.htm)

Monday, April 29th, 2002
The eircom League has released the full text of commissioner Roy Dooney's speech at Saturday's AGM in Dublin.

In it, Dooney admitted that many mistakes had been made in his first season and that he had failed to reach his own standards as set out at the start of the campaign.

The full text of the speech follows below.

1. Introduction

By any standards, this has been an exceptionally difficult season for the eircom League. The many positive developments created by talented players, evenly matched teams, rapidly improving facilities and better media coverage were overshadowed by a series of disputes off the field which badly tarnished the League's reputation.

I do not propose to dwell on these matters which have already been discussed at great length within the League and elsewhere.

As a new recruit to the League I am acutely conscious that expectations for me were high. My own self-expectations were equally high and not met.

On a personal level, I take responsibility for this season's problems. I recognise that I have made mistakes but can assure you that I have learnt a great deal from them and that they most definitely will not be made again.

As is well known, my sporting background is not in football and it has been a steep and difficult learning curve to climb in the last nine months mastering both a complex and sometimes contradictory rule book, which additionally has a parallel and unwritten series of interpretations and customs built up over the years. This makes the administration of the League particularly complex for a newcomer.

In decisions I took I was entirely motivated by what I believed was the spirit of fair and sporting competition. I now recognise and am sorry for making what with the benefit of hindsight were wrong decisions for what I believed at the time were the right reasons.

I believe that we are now at the bottom of the curve and that the League has a healthy future for next season and beyond. While some subjects have got a disproportionate share of attention there are many positive elements from this season that I would like to highlight and on which we can build and go forward next season and beyond:

2. League administration

In my first report to the Management Committee last year I identified the under-resourcing of the League office as a central issue that needed to be addressed. I am pleased that in recent weeks we have appointed two new staff members, Darren Bernstein and Pat Duffy, raising our staff complement by 66 per cent.

It has not been feasible in the past, or this season, for a small office to police and enforce every rule particularly when many clubs do not seem to have the resources themselves to address issues of concern to the League and its sponsor. Communication between the League and clubs on anything other than essential matters has been weak.

In looking forward I believe that the recruitment of Darren and Pat will be of huge help in improving the marketing, development and administration of the League and its clubs.

The League's Rules Committee and I are working on revisions to the rulebook and liaising with the FAI committee doing similar work on the FAI Rule Book. I expect that we will be in a position in a few weeks time to convene an e.g.m. to consider rule changes for the League that will bring in more simplicity and clarity.

The registration system needs a complete overhaul. To ensure that a new system is set up in the most efficient and effective way possible, and to ensure that the most use is made of the FAI's recently agreed partnership with Hewlett Packard, I have spoken with the FAI about getting consultancy advice from HP as soon as possible on a new registration system that would be effective for next season. This should involve recommendations on both personnel and technology.

Such a review should be geared towards a complete fresh start for next season with a revised registration form, clarity between the FAI and League as to responsibility for professional players and contracts, standard forms for regulating loans and transfers and return mechanisms to clubs for each registration form to confirm receipt and in order status.

There has been under-investment in the League office for a number of years and a rapidly increasing workload has not been matched by the appropriate staff resources or the modern technology to do their jobs efficiently.

I believe that a case can be made to the FAI to support this in view of the handover of financial responsibility from the FAI to the League and the role the FAI will play as licensor of clubs under the UEFA club licensing programme.

The issue of the broader management and policy making structures of the League need to be urgently addressed. This is an issue on which I believe the advice and involvement of the FAI would be desirable and I know the General Secretary has had recent discussions and correspondence on this subject with club chairmen.

The definitions of responsibility and authority between executive staff and committees has to be clarified for the greater working efficiency of all. I do not believe it is possible to run the League professionally under the current arrangements. It is my intention, notwithstanding the staff constraints in the League and in many clubs to more rigorously enforce compliance with the rules from now on through tighter and more documented procedures.

This may inconvenience and aggravate clubs because it has not been the case in recent years, but I believe it is the only way forward in light of recent events.

3. Players

By common agreement, the standard of players in the League continues to rise rapidly as better coaching, full time training and better facilities spread wider.

The League has participated in the development of the REAP programme at DCU to help young players released by clubs in England to reintegrate to Irish society and football and the strengthening of clubs.

The heightened media profile of a few players is of great help in marketing the League and clubs can play a major role in developing the media profile of their "star turns".

A number of meetings were held during the season with the PFAI to discuss issues of mutual concern and the appointment by the PFAI of Fran Gavin as its full-time General Secretary is a welcome development which will ensure a deeper partnership between the League and its players - our greatest asset.

Éanna
30/04/2002, 1:32 PM
4. Referees

The standard of referees and match officials continues to rise in the League and the average age of officials is falling. The ascent of several officials into the FIFA ranks is welcome and Pat Kelly's appointment in the FAI with responsibility for elite referees has also been of considerable assistance to the League.

5. Facilities

This season generous Government support for capital developments at League clubs came in two parts: €1.25 million in July and €6.35 million in March.

A total of 15 League clubs have benefited and we must ensure that this money is spent wisely and well on improving facilities that the customers of our clubs will appreciate and which will enhance the attractiveness of our product.

6. Television and media

Significant progress was made in getting a dedicated highlights show for the League on Sunday nights in prime time for the season from Christmas onwards on RTÉ.

The show demonstrated the potential for the League to market itself although ratings for the show swung between excellent and poor. Discussions are now at an advanced stage on a television deal for next season which I expect will be an improvement on what has been before.

While clubs regularly criticise the media coverage the League receives I believe that in general it is consistent and good. The huge growth of coverage through new media and radio has been welcome and the media in all its formats has continued to be fair and supportive.

Clubs must play their part too and on a wider level, I believe the clubs need to be much more proactive in their media relations. One national journalist told me recently that only one club in the League sends him a weekly press release and very few clubs have dedicated media officers.

The consistent inability of clubs to agree a single main day and time for matches (as well as times that might facilitate greater media coverage) continues to inhibit coverage in some sections of the media.

The football sports media has acres of space to fill daily, a voracious appetite, and the clubs have a major opportunity to fill it themselves. A seminar will be organised by the League for club media officers before the start of the season with a number of journalists to look at ways in which clubs can improve their media profile.

We are working very closely with the FAI on the development of its new website, which is already operational, and considerable volumes of League information will be put up there in the coming weeks.

7. Sponsors and marketing

Having emerged from its own internal period of change, eircom continues to be a committed and generous sponsor to the League. It should be noted that in addition to its direct payments to the League, eircom spends a generous six figure sum in producing support marketing materials for the League.

The League will also benefit financially and materially from the FAI's agreement with Lucozade Sport and we are exploring other linkages with FAI sponsors.

It is my belief that the League should explore greater partnership opportunities with the FAI's sponsors than trying to build up a completely separate portfolio of League-only sponsors. Discussions are ongoing with the FAI about this.

Implementation of the marketing plan for the League which I prepared in February and which was approved by the Management Committee is now under way and Darren Bernstein will work closely with clubs to ensure that it is rolled out.

The critical issues to address are attracting new fans, retaining them as supporters and providing them with a quality family entertainment experience. The major challenge is to build a habit of live football going among a new audience.

8. Under-21 League

The under-21 League continued to develop with 27 teams this season and taking the administration of the League into the office was a significant additional workload.

While some problems did continue through late fixture changes by clubs and shortage of pitches the League is now firmly established and with its own new Development Officer, Pat Duffy, it has a bright future.

It is planned that a representative match for an under-21 League team against Glasgow Celtic under-21 will take place in the summer. The support of the Irish Sports Council to the League's development continues to grow and is very welcome.

9. Anti-doping

The League's Premier Division clubs are central to the FAI's anti-doping policy and tests were carried out after matches in the second half of the season.

There has been patchy compliance from clubs with the requirement to submit player declaration forms and I have had discussions with the FAI Chief Medical Officer on ways to ensure that no player inadvertently gets caught with a positive test.

It is essential that clubs and their medical officers understand the importance of players declaring in advance what medication (if any) they are on and also are aware of the huge list of banned or restricted medical substances.

The revised League player registration form will contain text to incorporate the players consent to and understanding of the FAI doping procedures.

10. UEFA club licensing

The UEFA club licensing programme which was parked by UEFA for much of this season is now moving rapidly again.

The FAI as the licensor of clubs will be working closely with the League to ensure that we meet UEFA's requirement to have a national licensing system in place by the end of this year, clubs licensed to compete in our 2003 season so that those successful ones can compete in UEFA competitions in 2004/2005.

The licensing system has been considerably amended by UEFA and now contains 88 criteria relating to sporting matters, infrastructure, personnel and administration, legal matters and financial matters.

Forty-seven of these criteria are recommendations and 41 are mandatory. Among other things, clubs will have to present audited financial statements, and proof that they have no overdue payables from transfer activities or to club employees.

Training by UEFA of licensing staff in the FAI / League will take place in the next two weeks and detailed briefing sessions with clubs will be held after the full structures have been put in place in the FAI.

11. Racism

There have been a small number of incidences of racist abuse at League matches this season. While the clubs at whose grounds these took place most certainly do not condone this behaviour, it is an activity that, however infrequent, all in the game must work to stamp out.

During the season the League signed up to the Governments's kNOw Racism campaign and we will be discussing with the campaign organisers ways in which we can work together to improve and promote tolerance.

12. Fans

The perception among fans of the FAI and League administration is very poor. Some of their criticism is justified and I have made continued efforts to share information and be available to respond to queries and comment through fan forums, web chat rooms, email and programme articles.

13. Safety

The continued use of flares at matches by a small number of fans from a minority of clubs is a dangerous practice which all clubs have been asked to put an end to.

As well as the obvious risks to fans using flares, there are equal risks for fans in their vicinity. For those clubs in UEFA competitions there is the likelihood of heavy fines if flares are used at UEFA matches.

14. Conclusion

In conclusion, I would like to thank the many people, too many to mention, who have helped me through this difficult first season. They include League and FAI staff, especially those who volunteer their services to us, officials in all the clubs, the media, eircom and other sponsors, and finally the many fans with whom I have regular email contact.

While I am not pleading for time, because I am conscious that time is something we do not have much of, particularly in the context of the importance of next season, I hope that any fairminded person would recognise that the accumulated problems in the League, built up over several seasons, will take more time to correct than the appointment of one person to a high profile job can achieve in nine months.

A more substantial overhaul of the entire League's administrative and regulatory structure is required and this can not be done overnight.

As I said at the outset, I admit that I have not met the targets I set for myself. However, notwithstanding this season's difficulties I remain a passionate believer in the eircom League and its huge and still largely untapped potential.

I believe that working closely with you, I and my colleagues have the abilities required to do the job that the clubs, the League and the FAI need done to restore the fortunes of the League and make summer football work

Éanna
30/04/2002, 1:33 PM
GREAT!
Now would he ever stop fcuking talking and DO something!:mad:

pete
30/04/2002, 2:24 PM
I think thats a good talk. Dooney is both accepting his share of responsibilty for last year as well as telling the clubs waht needs to change to prevent things like that happening again.

Interesting to see he saying there needs to be separation of the league & management committee - no doubt he feed up with interference by some members?

The consistent inability of clubs to agree a single main day and time for matches (as well as times that might facilitate greater media coverage) continues to inhibit coverage in some sections of the media.

I think thats going to be the hardest to achieve as most clubs not keen to change.

Éanna
01/05/2002, 11:32 AM

Thats irrelevant- look at England they play saturday, sunday and monday- sometimes tuesday and wednesday as well. There are far more important things. What he's said is very good as Pete said, but the time for talking was a long time ago.

Jim Murtha
01/05/2002, 8:02 PM
I would agree, the schedule is small time compared to the amount of influence that some club officals have on how the league is run.

If he can create a league body that is independent of the clubs and acts in the leagues not a particular clubs best interest that will the start we despartly need.

Jaime
02/05/2002, 3:25 PM
Although some people are exaggerating its imprtance, I think that simoultaneous ko times are very important. Sunday Sport do not want to show a Friday night game on a Sunday as the main match, so the effects could go deeper than just simple messiness.