PDA

View Full Version : Scottish International team

pete
08/10/2005, 1:31 PM
Why do they always get such easy qualifying groups? They always seem to get higher seeds in poor form or on the way down the rankings...?

We will get 4th seeded teams that harder than Scotlands grouip 2nd seeds.

:rolleyes:

Plastic Paddy
08/10/2005, 1:43 PM
Feeling the pinch Pete? This qualification stuff is nervy business alright, but I'm not sure it's quite the conspiracy you imply... :(

I remain to be convinced that we'd do any better in Scotland's groups than we would in our own. Or than they would themselves for that matter.

:ball: PP

Poor Student
08/10/2005, 1:59 PM
Pete while Scotland appear to have a pretty crap group (though Belarus as a low seed is tough) if you are good enough to make a good impact in the finals your draw at qualification level wouldn't really matter.

sligoman
08/10/2005, 2:55 PM
In fairness, I think if we had their group then we would easily get the play-off, we might'nt get the automatic though, Italy would have that I'd say:o .

Plastic Paddy
08/10/2005, 3:05 PM
In fairness, I thought that with our group we'd easily make the play-off. I offer no further comment.

:ball: PP

CollegeTillIDie
09/10/2005, 10:32 AM
In the immortal words of Naf 1980's band Modern Romance... Nothing Ever goes the Way You Plan!

superfrank
09/10/2005, 12:38 PM
Why do they always get such easy qualifying groups? They always seem to get higher seeds in poor form or on the way down the rankings...?

What a load of bull****!!? When we got our group we thought we'd get through easily. Noone thought that the Israeli's were up to anything.

I'd sat Scotland are about the 4th or 5th best team in that group. Italy, Norway, Slovenia and maybe Belarus. We're about the 2nd or 3rd best team in our group. France and possibly Switzerland are better.

It's simple as this: Republic of Ireland are underachieving, Soctland have a new lease of life.

thejollyrodger
09/10/2005, 2:06 PM
the scottish national team maybe ;)

Nah, I dont agree with that theory. We have a relatively easy group, we had a chance to pick up more points away from home and at home. The players on the pitch screwed it up. Simple as that. We should have topped this group never mind second spot.

Second spot should be ours but i dont know if we can get the win.

CollegeTillIDie
09/10/2005, 4:58 PM
the scottish national team maybe ;)

Nah, I dont agree with that theory. We have a relatively easy group, we had a chance to pick up more points away from home and at home. The players on the pitch screwed it up. Simple as that. We should have topped this group never mind second spot.

Second spot should be ours but i dont know if we can get the win.

I am inclined to agree with you review of the group so far:-
Ok let's look at the situation away draws with the French and the Swiss fair enough. But the Israel results were major let downs.
The Faroe Islands games went more or less as anticipated and while the results against Cyprus were the full six points the performances were disappointing.
I don't know when we had a semi-decent performance in a competitive game other than losing to France in the past 12 months, so I am a bit fearful about Wednesday.

pete
09/10/2005, 5:07 PM
I still think Scotland get easy groups. Last time they got into playoff but got thumped by Holland. They never perform at any level in tournaments either.

davey
09/10/2005, 8:38 PM
I still think Scotland get easy groups. Last time they got into playoff but got thumped by Holland. They never perform at any level in tournaments either.

This is completely true. We could argue about the present groups but historically Scotland have always had easy groups. Scotland resurgent? :rolleyes: Give me a break.

finlma
10/10/2005, 8:13 AM

What?????

Switzerland and Russia was hardly the most difficult group and we still couldn't get out if it. I think you're looking at this through rose tinted glasses.

Dodge
10/10/2005, 9:01 AM
If you wanna talk about easy groups, surely England has had the aesiest rides ever. Apart from when they got Italy, they usually get the either the easiest top seed or easiest 2nd seed (depending on their own status)

pete
10/10/2005, 11:40 AM
England get easy groups becuase they either 1st or 2nd seed. IMO Scotland get easier groups than us as 4th seed. Norway were probably 2nd seed in their group but ar in decline whereas we get Israel a 4th seed on the up.

Schumi
10/10/2005, 1:40 PM
Soctland have a new lease of life.
Yeah, they're getting to within a goal of Belarus now. Resurgent.

superfrank
10/10/2005, 3:28 PM
Yeah, they're getting to within a goal of Belarus now. Resurgent.
Maybe not the Belarus match but 1-1 with Italy at home, better then we did, and 2-1 away to Norway is not bad.