PDA

View Full Version : If you were Marketing Director at your club, what would you do to raise its profile?

Pages : [1] 2

Block G Raptor
07/10/2005, 1:36 PM
If You were Marketing Director at your club what would you do to raise its profile/league profile. Im sure im not alone in this...myself and me mates always start this discussion after a few beers down the local or after the game. some of the suggestions are b*****x but we always come up with one or two gems
so come on lads lets put the league to rights ..................:D

NY Hoop
07/10/2005, 1:39 PM
If You were Marketing Director at your club what would you do to raise its profile/league profile. Im sure im not alone in this...myself and me mates always start this discussion after a few beers down the local or after the game. some of the suggestions are b*****x but we always come up with one or two gems
so come on lads lets put the league to rights ..................:D

Take down your stupid signature and I'll give you a few good ideas.

KOH

Block G Raptor
07/10/2005, 1:42 PM
Fair enuff ny hoop
shoot..............

Drumcondra Red
07/10/2005, 1:48 PM
Ironic that you'd moan about a sig, with shyte like that in yours KOH!!!

What did it say Block G??

Block G Raptor
07/10/2005, 1:51 PM
it said how much is that house up in milltown...............oh i do hope that house is for sale

Well drums red have u any ideas how u would raise th eprofile of shels to get bums on seats

NY Hoop
07/10/2005, 2:02 PM
Nothing revolutionary really.

Give the kids free flags or posters and they'll come back for more. Bottom line everybody likes getting free stuff. Have each home game sponsored by a certain company like the yanks do e.g. first 100 in get a free whatever. McNamara tried this in the RDS.

What you lot missed out on was marketing the absolute **** out of Crowe when he got capped. You could have had him go around the schools as an Irish international handing out all kinds of club info. Priceless publicity.

Players and managers going around the local schools. Club getting more involved locally with the junior clubs. This has already started for us in Tallaght.

Remember years ago Saatchi & Saatchi were hired by the nuclear physicists that run our league?? It was laughable. They had a one minute radio slot telling people that tickets were still available for the upcoming league fixtures!!

Do it better get your manager, who even the barstoolers would know, and have a huge ad done up with him on it. Supersize it with a catchy slogan about coming to games.

Dont know how many times a foreigner has enquired about the league here. At the airport and bus stations at that console thingy have an updated fixtures and results service for upcoming games as well as a proper, detailed mode of transport to the venue.

What the league needs though is a dedicated league website. Check out www.irishpremierleague.com

Cant think of anymore now!

KOH

NY Hoop
07/10/2005, 2:03 PM
Ironic that you'd moan about a sig, with shyte like that in yours KOH!!!

What did it say Block G??

Nothing wrong or offensive about my signature. Truth pal

KOH

Drumcondra Red
07/10/2005, 2:14 PM
Well drums red have u any ideas how u would raise th eprofile of shels to get bums on seats

Create awareness get into the local schools and colleges, carry on like that!

Terry
07/10/2005, 2:15 PM
Simple! Hello, my name is Nick Leeson

Block G Raptor
07/10/2005, 2:17 PM
Good ideas ny hoop particularly the airport/busstation idea as foreigners do ask a lot about it.
Bohs do th ewhole schools thing thats how they distribute the kids go free vouchers. hit the nail on the head with GC and his cap

I think eircom should be required to pitch in through there sponsorship
they could use their advertisement's to include eircom league,like the daft busstop posters showing the national team with stand up for the boys in green in the eircom font
this should be a requirement for the renewal of the sponsorship contract and all subsequent sponsorship contracts

also the free stuff is so obvious i dont know how its been missed.
I suppose the clubs are badly enough off without spending a couple of grand on free flags/posters get local business to pitch in stick their logo's on the flags/posters and u might get somewhere

NY Hoop
07/10/2005, 2:18 PM
Simple! Hello, my name is Nick Leeson

LOL! Well he's saved a certain GUISA lotto selling member foot mileage anyway:D

KOH

EnDai
07/10/2005, 2:22 PM
Like some clubs in the UK do, kids for a quid (maybe free crisps and a drink or somethign witht that - parents would have to spend next to nothing to bring the kids). Guaranteed more people through the stiles.

Hand out free tickets in local schools etc.

"Well designed" posters in town and around the areas.

Women go free :)

Discount vouchers in the papers, like the ads, but get in for €7 instead of €15 with a flyer.

But unfortunately, what we all really need is television advertising.

//edit: the airport idea is fookin' genius!

Imagine being able to show highlights on them things! lol :)

Block G Raptor
07/10/2005, 2:23 PM
Trust a shels fan to come up with a schools solution do u not have enough kids at tolka, anyway most of the kids are too young to go to games on there own we need to attract more grown ups/families
I remember going to see Rovers v celtic and rovers man city in the late eighties and they had great value family tickets(about forty percent cheper than buying the individual tickets) this is what i feel needs to be done
saturday afternoon football would help here even if each club played 5 saturday games per season (in the traditionaly low crowd games perhaps ) this might intice families to go.

EnDai
07/10/2005, 2:25 PM
Schools/kids; will hopefully get a few regulars and fans from them, so its more of a long term idea.

As someone pointed out earlier, Bohs do it already.

Block G Raptor
07/10/2005, 2:26 PM
I like the women go free idea, coz i know some of my mates miss games coz they r going out with the missus this might encourage them to bring her with them on the way out

Yeah ny hoop our northern cousins website is quality
i know there is a couple of eL websites and a page on the fai site but the quality like everthing else from merrion sq is abysmal
Maybe our selves as fans can do something any ideas
p.s. Im not roman abramovich so remember to be financially realistic

NY Hoop
07/10/2005, 2:32 PM
Yeah ny hoop our northern cousins website is quality
i know there is a couple of eL websites and a page on the fai site but the quality like everthing else from merrion sq is abysmal
Maybe our selves as fans can do something any ideas
p.s. Im not roman abramovich so remember to be financially realistic

If it makes sense the league administrators wont do it. Thats why IMO the new NLSA is a good idea. We need to sit down with these people and explain to them how to do things right!

BTW the man city game was March 1991.

KOH

Block G Raptor
07/10/2005, 2:35 PM
The schools thing does work to an extent but i know of kids who get the vouchers in the local school (Blanch) but there parents cant be arsed to bring them coz they think the quality is c**p(oh how little the know)
we need to showcase the league as best as possible
some really bad choice games on tv this year
get all the big games on tv for 1 / 2 seasons and people will start to see what they are missing
also i think some players freeze when the camera's come to town
so this is a viscious circle

Has the NLSA been set up yet or is just another genesis pie in the sky idea
if it has how do i join

As for ny hoops match sponsorship idea
bohs do this already but basically its cash for your company name on the front of the programme and the PA announces it a couple of time's
no free stuff (another marketing opportunity missed by the people who ignored crowe's cap) although the match sponsorship thing at bohs did raise a few eyebrows when sinnfein sponsored a match in the run up to the last election. all the advertising boards around the pitch had gerry adams and mary-lou mcDonald on them and the huge tourbuswith both their faces plastered on it was parked pitchside on the connaught st side..... Bizzarre
(i think we were playing derry that night no surprise there then)

Buller
07/10/2005, 2:57 PM
A website dedicated to the eircom league is badly needed. Something like the irish league website. I tried to make one myself a few months ago... (www.eircomleague.cjb.net)
Hopefully this will give a few people some idea's....

NY Hoop
07/10/2005, 3:00 PM
Has the NLSA been set up yet or is just another genesis pie in the sky idea
if it has how do i join

www.nlsupporters.com

KOH

Block G Raptor
07/10/2005, 3:07 PM
Cheers NYhoop

Buller love the site but dont think the animation would go down too well with certan sections of our community (I loved it though and the sentiment is right if the delivery is a bit ott) fair play keep it up

Buller be careful u dont get in S**t frm Eircom and the league
u have used their name on what some idiots would claim is a racist/republican site

My mate is thinking of running a bus route frm blanch 2 dalymount for 2 quid a head reckons he'll make a packet (2 or three runs on match nights)
its difficult to get directly from certain parts of blanch direct to dalier by dublin bus 38 doesn't go near most of the estates and nearest 39 goes to is hanlons corner/cabra cross so I'd use the direct bus deffo
This might encourage more kids/teens to go to games coz again I of some kids who are not aloud go alone as the bus does'nt go direct so this would be doing his bit as well as lining his pokets in the process

Buller
07/10/2005, 3:18 PM
Cheers NYhoop

Buller love the site but dont think the animation would go down too well with certan sections of our community (I loved it though and the sentiment is right if the delivery is a bit ott) fair play keep it up
Yeah i think ill be deleting that animation soon enough...:o

NY Hoop
07/10/2005, 3:19 PM
My mate is thinking of running a bus route frm blanch 2 dalymount for 2 quid a head reckons he'll make a packet (2 or three runs on match nights)
its difficult to get directly from certain parts of blanch direct to dalier by dublin bus 38 doesn't go near most of the estates and nearest 39 goes to is hanlons corner/cabra cross so I'd use the direct bus deffo

Good man. Our next game is the 28th against Bray. I meant take down the signature permanently!

KOH

Block G Raptor
07/10/2005, 3:23 PM
He's only running it on bohs home game's cant be letting you boys into our catchment area now can we
or i suppose we could run a bus frm tallaght to bohs matches and aswell and run a blanch bus for bohs and rovers home games

re: the signature BUT I LIKE IT!!!!!!!!!

BohDiddley
07/10/2005, 3:58 PM
I've said this before, but I'll say it again. Press releases. And phone calls to favoured reporters.
Dozens of them. Hundreds of them. Look at all the peripheral stories put out about GAA and rugby, never mind English football. Sheer trivia.
Most EL coverages is simply match reporting or else doing down the game by focussing on a few airhead casuals or else just knocking it out of ignorance. We should have other stories about player contracts, manager opinions and all of the stuff that you see discussed on this board and others.
Sometimes (and Bohs is one of the worst offenders here) you'd think this stuff was a state secret.
Not sure there isn't already a prize for best league reporter, but there should be. Journos and newspapers love prizes ...

Shelsman
07/10/2005, 4:38 PM
I like the women go free idea, coz i know some of my mates miss games coz they r going out with the missus this might encourage them to bring her with them on the way out

Or pay some female models to sit in the stands, jaysus we'd be back for more -wouldn't even realise the game is on!

Shelsman
07/10/2005, 4:40 PM
Also pick a fight with a director from the visiting club and maybe with their manager too!

:D

Vitruvian Man
07/10/2005, 4:52 PM
I’d gut the inside of Dalymount and turn it into a high-class brothel.
I’d import a load of really good looking women (and men) from Eastern Europe because Irish people are far too ugly. The clientele would be big-shot corporate types who would be able to put all their services onto company expense accounts under front company names I would set up like “Leonardo’s Really Cheap Resturaunt” and “The No-Frills Hotel Group.”
Then, when they were getting knobbed-off by Helga or Sven, I’d film them all using hidden cameras and use the footage to blackmail them onto organising huge sponsorship deals for Bohs.

Then I’d sit back as Ronaldhino whacks about 8 past Rovers in the next Dublin derby, all paid for by corporate mickey-money.

I’d franchise everything out to the rest of the clubs eventually so they could have their own knocking shops and I might even advertise it on the TV.

I even have the slogan all worked out.

“The Eircom league – The only place nobody f ucks with us… is on the pitch”

pete
07/10/2005, 5:59 PM
I agree with suggestion of proper website. None of this PR bull bout fai.ie relaunch as its so pathetic hard to even put into words. All thats needed is website with proper uptodate information, match previews, lists of team squad, info on players etc...

Whoever got paid to "redesign" fai.ie muct be same company running that Dept of Health payroll system. :eek:

Dump eircom as sponsor & get company that will associate themselves with the league "product" more. FFS AIB give AIL rugby (crowds in the '000s a rarity) €1m per year & have also run ads for.

Buller
07/10/2005, 6:15 PM
I agree with suggestion of proper website. None of this PR bull bout fai.ie relaunch as its so pathetic hard to even put into words. All thats needed is website with proper uptodate information, match previews, lists of team squad, info on players etc...

Whoever got paid to "redesign" fai.ie muct be same company running that Dept of Health payroll system. :eek:

Dump eircom as sponsor & get company that will associate themselves with the league "product" more. FFS AIB give AIL rugby (crowds in the '000s a rarity) €1m per year & have also run ads for.
AGREED

A face
07/10/2005, 6:59 PM
Lads ... there are eircom League sites already ....

www.soccercentral.ie (http://www.soccercentral.ie/) and www.irishfootballonline.com (http://www.irishfootballonline.com/) ... two excellent sites, if anything they need more support ..... www.a2zsoccer.com (http://www.a2zsoccer.com/) is a fairly decent site too (although they have far too much foreign stuff)

All the people running these sites are eircom League fans or involved in Irish Football. We are not stuck for sites lads ..... maybe if people were will, put heads together with the guys that run these site and start a little project, i dunno a book or something. There is loads of stuff you can do !!

NY Hoop
10/10/2005, 9:49 AM
Lads ... there are eircom League sites already ....

www.soccercentral.ie (http://www.soccercentral.ie/) and www.irishfootballonline.com (http://www.irishfootballonline.com/) ... two excellent sites, if anything they need more support ..... www.a2zsoccer.com (http://www.a2zsoccer.com/) is a fairly decent site too (although they have far too much foreign stuff)

All the people running these sites are eircom League fans or involved in Irish Football. We are not stuck for sites lads ..... maybe if people were will, put heads together with the guys that run these site and start a little project, i dunno a book or something. There is loads of stuff you can do !!

What I meant was a dedicated EL site. The ones you've mentioned are not officially representing the league. They are general football sites. Check www.irishpremierleague.com if you dont get what I mean............

KOH

Terry
10/10/2005, 11:03 AM
Has that helped increase crowds ?? Will it last ??

The crowds have stayed the same as the year before (slight increase of about 150 average per game), but the question was increase in profile which went through the roof for us! The money hes bringing in the door is unreal also with all the work he is doing, long may it continue:) All we have to do now is get it right on the pitch.:o

Gareth
10/10/2005, 11:25 AM
From a website point of view, if there is to be a proper El website, it needs to actually have employees and a proper design team behind it who will run and maintain it as well as journalists to write for it and various other aspects. Having a website is all good and fun but its all about maintaining it and constantly improving it, hence why FAI site sucks!

Galwayexile
10/10/2005, 11:25 AM
if nick leason is really bringing in loads of money, where is it all going.It doesnt cost much to run Galway Utd a week, roughly 10,000 euro, saw that on this site somewhere. Maybe im wrong, if so i apologise.

What Galway need is too invest in a few quality players to complimint mixer, levine, o donavan and o reilly. A city the size of Galway size should not be languishing in the first divison.

Its all well to have the the club run superbly as Utd have but they have to get it right on the playing side of things as well.

Gareth
10/10/2005, 11:31 AM
Well firstly some clubs need a Marketing Director :). Once in place, there needs to be fully professional management structures put in place. Christ its all good marketing the league but the first thing needed to for all the teams to get their own houses in order. A football club is a business, shame some clubs forget that. Too many people in powerful positions in our clubs couldn't run water let alone clubs. More interested in bickering.

Galwayexile
10/10/2005, 11:35 AM
You referring to your own ollie byrne been the bickering chief executive :D
Any news of shels new stadium or is that on the backburner now.

NY Hoop
10/10/2005, 11:36 AM
Too many people in powerful positions in our clubs couldn't run water let alone clubs. More interested in bickering.[/QUOTE]

Prime example being Ireland's Numer 1 Hooligan: Oily.

Guarantee you get rid of this gangster and you would get increased sponsorship.

KOH

Gareth
10/10/2005, 11:54 AM
Some factors in the marketing of a club.

1) Have a ground that is at least maintained to some standard
2) Have a full time Marketing Manager who has experience in the role and is innovative and eager.
3) Have a fully professional image to the outside, which means all brochures, programmes, websites etc run to the fullest professional ability.
4) Have a constant flow of information out of the club on events, and players etc. Make sure you are easily approachable as a club and have the basics done right (phones are always answered, requests are always met with some form of response etc).
5) Run promotions and hit your local base and try and intregate with your community. Target schools, colleges and workplaces!!

Block G Raptor
10/10/2005, 12:01 PM
gareth I agree with most of what u suggest

but on points 1 and 2
the bars in dalymount have recently been done up and the stands etc are always kept to a good standard (so bohs have that end of things sorted)
but we've gone through 7 marketing directors in the past 4!! years
I dont now if this is due to the difficulty in marketing the club or if the club have made bad recruitment choices but clearly no one stays in the job long enough to do any real longterm good
I'm thinking of applying next time the job comes up:) :) :)I've no experiance
but id be determined to make a difference

pete
10/10/2005, 12:24 PM
I wouldn't get too concerned with fulltime positions but i do think the league needs to show leadership on this. IMO the league should be coordination the flow of information from clubs & clubs should have to sign up agreement to provide team news, manager/player interviews weekly so that the league can feed to the media.

Block G Raptor
10/10/2005, 12:32 PM
Great Idea Pete
but are the newsies really that interested
while the league remains a minority supported affair(in comparison to foreign game and gaa) more info in the papers would be appreciated but would it help to sell significantly more papers?
having said that if the clubs cant be a rsed to provide this info to the media to raise the profile then they have no right to bitch about crowds being poor
:mad:

GavinZac
11/10/2005, 6:49 PM
A website dedicated to the eircom league is badly needed. Something like the irish league website. I tried to make one myself a few months ago... (www.eircomleague.cjb.net)
Hopefully this will give a few people some idea's....

ive contemplated it, but there are too many as it is. with foot.ie being the best.

chippie0001
11/10/2005, 7:00 PM
but we've gone through 7 marketing directors in the past 4!! years
I dont now if this is due to the difficulty in marketing the club or if the club have made bad recruitment choices but clearly no one stays in the job long enough to do any real longterm good
I'm thinking of applying next time the job comes up:) :) :)I've no experiance
but id be determined to make a difference

Sorry but we have only ever had one Marketing director, and certainly not 7 in 4 years, the current incumbant is there 2 years now and prior to that we did not have a designated Marketing Director. I think you are confusing yourself.

A face
12/10/2005, 12:09 AM
What I meant was a dedicated EL site. The ones you've mentioned are not officially representing the league. They are general football sites. Check www.irishpremierleague.com if you dont get what I mean

No ... i know what you mean (and i kind of agree aswell) but it think the best solution would be for the league to approach one of these sites already up and sort something out.
As Pete said ... you would need to have all the info provided by the clubs etc. and it should be the go-between for the rest of the media !!

Also .... i think that a united marketing scheme is far more important that a website. An organised collective approach to attracting punters in definitely needed. The league (all the clubs) should hire someone/a team to look after this .... it is not really being taken seriously, the noise to signal ration is very high. Pooled resources is a must imo !!

Block G Raptor
12/10/2005, 1:10 PM
The marketing job at bohs has been advertised 7 times in both the programmes and the Eviling Herald in the past four years unless the job was vacant for so long they had to re-advertise it several times

Could not agree more AFACE why cant the league/fai do somthing about it
its obvious to everyone on here what needs to be done
maybee the club's supporters clubs should put pressure on the muppets in merrion sq

bohs til i die
12/10/2005, 1:15 PM
The marketing job at bohs has been advertised 7 times in both the programmes and the Eviling Herald in the past four years unless the job was vacant for so long they had to re-advertise it several times

Could not agree more AFACE why cant the league/fai do somthing about it
its obvious to everyone on here what needs to be done
maybee the club's supporters clubs should put pressure on the muppets in merrion sq

i think your confusing marketing with commercial.

Philo
12/10/2005, 1:19 PM
What you lot missed out on was marketing the absolute **** out of Crowe when he got capped. You could have had him go around the schools as an Irish international handing out all kinds of club info. Priceless publicity.

A bit late in the day to reply to this but. Bohs did promote Glen Crowe and the league trophy around local schools a couple of years ago... until some large, patriotic gentlemen advised them that accidents happen to people who promote foreign sports to kids.

Block G Raptor
12/10/2005, 3:00 PM
Ah that could be it Bohstilidie
Still they've a similar responsibility whe it comes to raising the profile of the club one is covering public sector the other businesses neither is having much success any way

Bomb Landsdowne
13/10/2005, 4:55 PM
Didnt Bob Marley play Dalymount in the 80s. Why not let out the stadiums for major concerts.. Maybe something like the Heineken Green energy Music festival etc. The club will benefit financially and it would raise their profile

A face
13/10/2005, 10:05 PM
until some large, patriotic gentlemen advised them that accidents happen to people who promote foreign sports to kids.

Ahh ... what the fcuk is this about ??

Can you fill us in on this ??