PDA

View Full Version : Bladed Studs

finlma
07/10/2005, 8:09 AM
There's an article in todays Indo about bladed studs and the damage they cause. I use the more traditional studs myself. Does anyone use blades and is there any real difference.?

http://www.unison.ie/sportsdesk/football/stories.php3?ca=12&si=1483838
(Needs Registration)

Blades put boot into Irish World Cup dream
Friday October 7th 2005

IRELAND'S World Cup dream is being threatened by a revolutionary football boot which has been branded as a dangerous fad.

The boots, which have bladed studs, have already been blamed for the injury which has ruled Roy Keane out of next Wednesday's tie with Switzerland and possibly out of the play-offs if Ireland reach them.

Now, it has emerged that Damien Duff had to have seven stitches inserted in a foot injury he sustained last Sunday while scoring for Chelsea against Liverpool.

Keane also sustained his injury against Liverpool, whose players are known to wear boots with bladed studs, and, as well as breaking the third toe on his left foot, he also sustained a gash as nasty as that inflicted on Duff last Sunday.

Manchester United boss Alex Ferguson is among the leading figures in the game calling for boots with bladed studs to be banned.

"The shot of Roy's injury shows the shape of a blade stud on his foot. The bladed studs are a danger.

"We have strong views about this, we don't allow our players to wear them as they can cause serious injuries.

"It's up to the clubs but I know a lot of them are refusing to allow players to wear them.

"We have photos

in the dressing room of some of the injuries caused by blades. Some of our academy boys had bad injuries, including some terrible facial injuries. Hopefully the fad will evaporate and they will think of something else," said Fergie.

Worryingly, Duff's injury is to the instep of his left foot and although he trained yesterday, he was forced to pull out of the shooting practice towards the end.

Clearly in pain, he hobbled to an empty dug-out where Brian Kerr came over and offered a few consoling words before making way for team surgeon John O'Byrne to remove the heavy bandaging on Duff's foot and examine the nasty looking injury.

After seeing Roy Keane, Clinton Morrison, Andy Reid and Gary Breen ruled out of the game because of suspension and injury, Ireland cannot afford to lose Duff for either of the next two games.

Kerr is hoping that Duff will produce his performance of the campaign tomorrow and ensure that Ireland will have a win-or-bust game with Switzerland in Dublin next Wednesday.

Midfielder Steven Reid is also struggling to be fit after twisting his ankle in training on Wednesday before the squad flew to Cyprus.

During the five-hour flight Reid's swollen ankle ballooned in size and he sat out yesterday's session in Limassol's Tsirion Stadium.

However, he is expected to train tonight in Nicosia when the Irish visit the GSP Stadium which will host tomorrow night's game.

Risteard
07/10/2005, 8:52 AM
I don't get it really, although everyone seems to agree with Ferguson on this i think.
Are they not blunter than yer regular studs like?

tetsujin1979
07/10/2005, 9:23 AM
I think it's more to do with traditional studs having a wider area, so the force from a kick or a tackle is spread more. With bladed studs, the contact area is much smaller, so the force from the kick or tackle is concentrated, resulting in injuries.

noby
07/10/2005, 9:27 AM
"Liverpool, whose players are known to wear boots with bladed studs"

He makes that sound very sinister, but I'm sure they're not the only players that wear them.
In fairness, with Duff's goal, himself and Alonso (I think) both slid in together, so an injury was always a possibility, no matter what type of studs.

And if some Man. United academy boys have nasty facial injuries, I don't think the type of stud would make a world of difference.

eirebhoy
07/10/2005, 12:00 PM
All I care about now is Duff better be 100% for this match.

Troy.McClure
07/10/2005, 12:01 PM
I guess they are called blades for a reason. I have bladed boots and tbh there probably isnt a huge amount of difference, although they might get a bit more slippy on soft grounds and slip more.

anto eile
07/10/2005, 12:10 PM
there sno genuine evidence to back this up.just fergusons opinion

CollegeTillIDie
08/10/2005, 7:31 AM
And we have two players from our international squad injured as a result of them...

hoops1
17/10/2005, 1:15 PM
I know its not real football but did you see the
gash Ralph Little got on his leg from warren barton wearing blades
in the Match

Clifford
17/10/2005, 4:14 PM
I know its not real football but did you see the
gash Ralph Little got on his leg from warren barton wearing blades
in the Match

It was shocking, but I'd say that was more to do with Barton being filthy not the blades, even though Little doesn't seem to think so. Hear Barton on the phone, what a pleb, "Allegedly, boys, allegedly" as they showed a clip of him stamping all over the greasy one.