PDA

View Full Version : Club or Country?

mypost
06/10/2005, 4:58 PM
I think it's a sad state of affairs when at a crucial time in the NL, that there are so many NL club's fans choosing to travel out to Cyprus to watch a bunch of failures play, than watch their club scrapping for vital league points at home?

We play at Drogheda this weekend, and the head of our supporters club is, instead of co-ordinating the bus trip going to Drogheda, travelling to Cyprus to watch Ireland go out of the World Cup the next day. The Drogheda game is vital to our hopes of staying up, yet he and many other fans of the club are off to Cyprus to watch Ireland, something they can do again at home the following week, at a fraction of the cost, and inconvenience. October is a crunch time in the league, with clubs chasing championships/promotion, and others trying to beat the drop. With 7 games left, this should be a time when attendances at NL games increase, yet because Ireland play in Cyprus the same weekend, it looks like this week's attendances will be even lower than normal. :( This is not a Rovers issue either. It appears that the NL's fan base are deserting the league in droves this weekend.

I'm sure not many other countries bring 15,000 fans to away games. Is it because they prefer to watch their local club's games rather than shell out €700 to watch their national side implode??

EnDai
06/10/2005, 4:59 PM
At least its only Drogheda and you can get the train!

Tis a strange one though! Club over country for me anyday.

mypost
06/10/2005, 5:03 PM
At least its only Drogheda and you can get the train!

There's no return train service after the game! :o

Schumi
06/10/2005, 5:03 PM
Some of us have our games called off due to international call-ups so it doesn't arise. :D

Vitruvian Man
06/10/2005, 5:25 PM
Some of us have our games called off due to international call-ups so it doesn't arise. :D

Agreed.
Rovers are minnows. Even their own fans would rather get out of the country than watch them. :p

eirebhoy
06/10/2005, 5:32 PM
I think it's a sad state of affairs when at a crucial time in the NL, that there are so many NL club's fans choosing to travel out to Cyprus to watch a bunch of failures play, than watch their club scrapping for vital league points at home?
Its your country ffs.

Dodge
06/10/2005, 5:39 PM
FFS lads we've had numerous debates on this before. Lets just leave each other to whatever makes them happy

BohDiddley
06/10/2005, 6:20 PM
Spoilsport.
I was just going to mention that this condition probably afflicts hoops more, seeing as they have adopted the mantle of the big green patriots' club. :D

The Stars
06/10/2005, 6:29 PM
Club all the way.I know the atmosphere in the Showgrounds isnt great but it seems better than any Ireland matches,espically at home.Few hundred gobshiners singing alleigence to Keano and shouting Ireland,Ireland,Ireland....

hoopy
06/10/2005, 6:47 PM
Spoilsport.
I was just going to mention that this condition probably afflicts hoops more, seeing as they have adopted the mantle of the big green patriots' club. :D

Just make sure you can afford a proper sized bus for you're next away game:o Getting back to the topic, if I had to make a choice I'd rather Rovers won than Ireland. The decision is made even easier with Keane and Kerr in the Irish set up.

Cosmo
06/10/2005, 6:54 PM
There's no return train service after the game! :o

www.matthewscoach.com will get ye home for a fiver

Conor H
06/10/2005, 8:02 PM
Club all the way.I know the atmosphere in the Showgrounds isnt great but it seems better than any Ireland matches,espically at home.Few hundred gobshiners singing alleigence to Keano and shouting Ireland,Ireland,Ireland....
Friendlies yes.But the atmosphere at the France game was unreal.

Drumcondra Red
06/10/2005, 8:12 PM
I was thinking about this earlier on today, I think club just edges it, but then again I've had many a rant about Keano choosing Man Ure over Ireland, does that make me a hypocrite???

TonyD
06/10/2005, 8:58 PM
The decision is made even easier with Keane and Kerr in the Irish set up.

Hey, leave Brian alone. He's a legend in this league. I'm sick of the flack he's been getting lately. League of Ireland supporters should know better.

On the club v country issue, if I had to choose I'd take three points at Tolka on Friday before an Irish win in Cyprus. But the beauty of football is that we don't have to make those choices, I can hope for both.

holidaysong
06/10/2005, 9:52 PM
www.matthewscoach.com will get ye home for a fiver

It is the same price from Drogheda to Dublin as it is from Dundalk to Dublin? :confused:

Anyway on the topic why can't the two be mutually exclusive?

OneRedArmy
06/10/2005, 10:30 PM
Well, Derry don't often come up against Ireland in competitive fixtures so I can happily acommodate both.......

I've no idea who'd I'd rather win something, both probably. I'm greedy like that.

Ridiculous thread, EVERY time it comes up.

Macy
07/10/2005, 7:09 AM
does that make me a hypocrite???
Yes.

Club everytime, but what was that someone said about the same few topics just being repeated in a slightly different way?

rerun
07/10/2005, 7:35 AM
I suppose if sombody has planned for a while to go to an away match and plans their summer holidays around the match, e.g. spend two weeks in Cyprus and go to the game while you're there, then thats fair enough. Like the original poster said, it does cost a lot of money and if you've shelled out for a trip it would be madness not to go just to catch a game that you had no idea would be important back when the season started.

Then again, if somebody decided to go on earlier this week, I suppose there's a case for the original posters argument.

Perhaps it's what we always get back to here. Is being a football supporter about standing in the cold in Drogheda desperately hoping for three points, and not wondering for 90 minutes how you're going to get home, or is it about going on the lash somewhere and watching some overpaid, overhyped Premiership and Championship players put on the shirt and plough through the same **** one more time. Personally, I believe it's the former.

The atmosphere might have been great at the Stade de France, but I'm sure it's great there if Les Bleus are playing Germany, Holland or England. It's funny, but I don't really see the national team as my team, it's too removed from the football that I read the paper and listen to the radio for, or read this forum for that matter (O.k. I'll own up and say that I don't exclusively read about Irish football, but I'll as happily read about Shalke as Arsenal and I'd watch the Tippeliggen or Bundesliga highlights if they were on RTE at 7 on a Saturday). Stick some eL players in there and I think my attitude might change. It's depressing to think that a lot of people who will watch/go to the match relate to the team and players via the Premiership, i.e. support Man Yoo and Ireland.

Jaime
07/10/2005, 7:58 AM
I'd take 3 points from the Cyprus game instead of 3 points for Bohs tonight if we had been playing Cork tonight. But it's a stupid choice; no-one is ever going to actually HAVE the choice, so what's the point? The two are mutually exclusive, and people moaning because the "head of their supporters club" is gone missing should grow up. Typical Rovers minnowism. "Co-ordinating" a bus to Drogheda... :D

bigmac
07/10/2005, 10:41 AM
We play at Drogheda this weekend, and the head of our supporters club is, instead of co-ordinating the bus trip going to Drogheda, travelling to Cyprus to watch Ireland go out of the World Cup the next day.

Appreciate your situation, but why are you giving sh!t to a guy who is obviously not a barstooler, but puts a lot of time and effort into the club? Would the same criteria apply if someone went to London for a weekend and took in a premiership game, at the same time missing an away Rovers game? I have no problem with people following Ireland, I feel a bit disconnected from the team but I'd never stoop to the Dunphy level of hoping they get beaten, so if someone wants to go to an away game (where it's much easier to get tickets) then good luck to them.

NY Hoop
07/10/2005, 10:52 AM
Hey, leave Brian alone. He's a legend in this league. I'm sick of the flack he's been getting lately. League of Ireland supporters should know better.

On the club v country issue, if I had to choose I'd take three points at Tolka on Friday before an Irish win in Cyprus. But the beauty of football is that we don't have to make those choices, I can hope for both.

Agree 100% there.

I've gone off the whole Ireland thing to be honest and am not too pushed if we qualify. The whole traitor thing coupled with the increase in idiots in leprechaun suits demeaning themselves and their country.

And I've been to the 3 World Cups and to Israel, Switzerland and France this time and loads of other away qualifiers but havent been to Lansdowne in a decade. Best fun are the away friendlies but even they are not happening as much anymore.

I digress but mypost dont take it so seriously. Drogheda is not that far away! Put a post on the Rovers forum about a lift and I'm sure someone will sort you out.

Have to laugh about boez fans slagging us about busses. Remember 93?:D Then again you probably were just out of nappies then!!

But yeah club over country for sure........

KOH

WeAreRovers
07/10/2005, 10:56 AM
Is this topic not done to death at this stage? I'll be in Drogheda tonight and I won't even watch the Ireland game on telly. But that's my choice and I couldn't give a flying one what anyone else thinks.

But, to the Bohs lads calling us minnows, here's a stat for you - 62 Irish internationals, more than anyone else. And as for buses, we usually have at least 2 or 3. 1 bus was cancelled tonight but our SC will still be travelling. Do Bohs run buses to every game? Not as far as I'm aware.

KOH

Dodge
07/10/2005, 12:10 PM
Do Bohs run buses to every game? Not as far as I'm aware.
What do you expect when you put the windows in on every single one of them....
:p

mypost
07/10/2005, 1:06 PM
Rovers are minnows. Even their own fans would rather get out of the country than watch them. :p

I was just going to mention that this condition probably afflicts hoops more, seeing as they have adopted the mantle of the big green patriots' club

Wtf are you to take the pis out of us? Two words lads; 3-1!! :D :D

Our SC is going to Drogheda also, but my point is that this situation comes up every time club and Ireland away games clash. I don't think it's right to moan about attendances, but when there's a club/country clash, most NL "fans" will choose to go to the Ireland game, rather than their own club's league game, which is more important in the long run. The league does not attract 15,000 people to the games every week, so how can we bring that number of fans to Cyprus? :confused:

Jaime
07/10/2005, 3:46 PM
I'll be in Drogheda tonight and I won't even watch the Ireland game on telly.

What if John Byrne got enough power to get rid of Louis Kilcoyne, take away his pension, and flog him on O'Connel St? :rolleyes:

superfrank
07/10/2005, 4:13 PM
Before I would've chosen country but in recent months I feel I've lost touch with the national team. I wasn't upset when they lost to France and, being honest, I kept switching between that match and the NI-England match.

I think it's because of all the lads out there alot of them have English accents and/or ignore the EL altogether. Sure most of the current players have never played in the EL. And how can I take someone seriously when they have a completely different accent and knows feck all about our league when they are playing in the green shirt??

I'm fiercely proud toi be Irish and do love football but I just don't have any strong feelings for the Irish football team. I'd much rather spend my Firday night in the freezing Carlisle then sitting in a pub watching the Ireland match.

I know I didn't explain myself thoroughly but that's the easiest way to say it.

dancinpants
09/10/2005, 1:09 AM
I think it's because of all the lads out there alot of them have English accents and/or ignore the EL altogether. Sure most of the current players have never played in the EL.

I'm startin' to feel the same superfrank. Half assed players from half assed teams not even givin' it a lash, when theres players over here with a lot of talent (and gettin' better) that would bust their balls to get a game in the green.

bigmac
09/10/2005, 1:08 PM
I'm startin' to feel the same superfrank. Half assed players from half assed teams not even givin' it a lash, when theres players over here with a lot of talent (and gettin' better) that would bust their balls to get a game in the green.

Agree with you and superfrank. I think that's what's helping rugby's rise as well, you can support the Irish team and on a Saturday night you can get into Musgrave Park/Thomond wherever for 10 or 15 euro and see the same guys who wear the green jersey. Makes you feel a lot more connected to them really.

sfc red
10/10/2005, 8:38 AM
As eircom league fans you should be almost boycotting Ireland after Kerr's decision to pick Doyle a few weeks after leaving Cork. The man is saying that this league is not good enough for international recognition. Were Byrne, Heary, Farren, O'Flynn etc to move to Torquay tomorrow they'd stand a chance of Irish selection. Sorry for going off topic slightly but CLUB every time

mypost
10/10/2005, 1:35 PM
As eircom league fans you should be almost boycotting Ireland after Kerr's decision to pick Doyle a few weeks after leaving Cork. The man is saying that this league is not good enough for international recognition. Were Byrne, Heary, Farren, O'Flynn etc to move to Torquay tomorrow they'd stand a chance of Irish selection. Sorry for going off topic slightly but CLUB every time

It's just ignorance to our league, plain and simple.

Doyle went from a full-time team in the top division in Ireland, to a.... full-time team in a lower division in England :rolleyes: , playing against players of a weaker standard. Kerr cannot convince me that Kevin Doyle has suddenly become Pele in the space of 2 months, while playing against the likes of Burnley, Gillingham, Plymouth, and Preston, etc.

You would be forgiven for boycotting the national side, with the stomach-churning shyte that Kerr passes as football in recent games. :mad:

Éanna
10/10/2005, 2:43 PM
Agree with you and superfrank. I think that's what's helping rugby's rise as well, you can support the Irish team and on a Saturday night you can get into Musgrave Park/Thomond wherever for 10 or 15 euro and see the same guys who wear the green jersey. Makes you feel a lot more connected to them really.
spot on. Thats what its all about- the connection. There's a similar debate over on the city forum at the moment, and there's on very interesting thing to note on it- most people refer to their club as "we/us" and Ireland as "they/them"- says it all really

WeAreRovers
10/10/2005, 3:03 PM
What if John Byrne got enough power to get rid of Louis Kilcoyne, take away his pension, and flog him on O'Connel St? :rolleyes:

:)

It's not all about Louis but that would certainly do for a start.

KOH

mypost
10/10/2005, 3:22 PM
:)

It's not all about Louis but that would certainly do for a start.

The best place for sending Louis Kilcoyne is to Siberia, for heinous crimes against Irish football, like the Soviets used to do with their traitors/enemies. Instead what do we do; give the swine a FAI job, and a place on the FIFA board. Eejits!! :rolleyes:

Peadar
10/10/2005, 3:31 PM
Lets just leave each other to whatever makes them happy

Exactly! It was great to see all the eL shirts in Cyprus. If Joe Rovers fan went to Ibiza for a week of clubbing and missed a game away to Drogs nothing would be said.

By the way, there were a gang of older Rovers fans on my flights and they did themselves and the club proud. All had matching shirts, all enjoyed themselves and all were respectful to others. I think they deserved a holiday after what they've been through this season.

superfrank
10/10/2005, 3:38 PM
It's just ignorance to our league, plain and simple.

Doyle went from a full-time team in the top division in Ireland, to a.... full-time team in a lower division in England :rolleyes: , playing against players of a weaker standard. Kerr cannot convince me that Kevin Doyle has suddenly become Pele in the space of 2 months, while playing against the likes of Burnley, Gillingham, Plymouth, and Preston, etc.

You would be forgiven for boycotting the national side, with the stomach-churning shyte that Kerr passes as football in recent games. :mad:

And he was alos playing European football, none of that in the Championship.

WeAreRovers
10/10/2005, 3:47 PM
By the way, there were a gang of older Rovers fans on my flights and they did themselves and the club proud. All had matching shirts, all enjoyed themselves and all were respectful to others. I think they deserved a holiday after what they've been through this season.

"Matching shirts" :D

Where some of them ever so slightly over-weight by any chance? With at least one bearded chap with them?

KOH

Castle Barracks
10/10/2005, 4:04 PM
Why don't the powers-that-be cancel/not arrange a domestic programme whenever there is an international date?A lot of fans follow both club & country,and are gutted whenever they have to miss out on one in order to see the other!

WeAreRovers
10/10/2005, 4:29 PM
Are you taking about the hoops sc, as that description would fit?
If so you're talking ********, one man isn't needed to co-ordinate a bus trip, as the full bus would testify.

Have you ever missed a game? Or do we all need to present you with a note from our parents to get off Rovers games?

I assumed he was talking about Tallaght Hoops who, let's face it, only run buses when it suits them anyway.

KOH

Peadar
10/10/2005, 4:34 PM
Where some of them ever so slightly over-weight by any chance? With at least one bearded chap with them?

They all had white shirts with the Rovers crest and "Tallaght Hoops" on the sleeve.

There were some overweight, bearded members in the group but their husbands were all cleanly shaven. :D

WeAreRovers
10/10/2005, 4:50 PM
They all had white shirts with the Rovers crest and "Tallaght Hoops" on the sleeve.

And they were a credit to the club? Some mistake surely. ;)

KOH

Peadar
10/10/2005, 4:54 PM
And they were a credit to the club?

Well they told me that they wanted Cork City to win the league because we play the best football so I think they were a credit to their club and the league. :D

mypost
10/10/2005, 5:05 PM
Have you ever missed a game? Or do we all need to present you with a note from our parents to get off Rovers games?

Of course I have missed games, like every one else, but that's not the point. The point is that, at a crucial stage of our season, fans who whinge about poor NL attendances, go to an International game, when domestic games clash. If they were as mad about the NL as they claim, they would go to their club's game at the weekend, and wait until Wednesday to watch the national side when they play at home, and it doesn't clash with the NL.

There is a major difference between choosing not to, and being unable to go to a game. Many of the games I have missed are because I couldn't go. However, NL fans this week had a decision to make, go to Cyprus or go to their club's game, unfortunately thousands decided to travel to Cyprus instead.

OneRedArmy
10/10/2005, 7:21 PM

I'm all for bigging the EL up, but if you think the quality of players in the EL is better than the top of the Championship or whatever they call Division 2 these days, then you need your head examined.

sfc red
11/10/2005, 9:03 AM
The quality of Nantes, NEC etc is better than the championship

bigmac
11/10/2005, 9:14 AM
The quality of Nantes, NEC etc is better than the championship

Cup results don't mean anything in deciding which leagues are stronger. Look at Shels' win in Europe versus their losses in the Setanta Cup. Means very little on a season long scale. Ok so they're stronger opponents than he'll face with Reading, but all the other opponents are a lot stronger than anything Cork will play for the rest of the season.

sfc red
11/10/2005, 9:44 AM
My point is that he proved he was that capable while playing EL football. The sad fact is that players like himself and Daryl Murphy are ahead of Byrne, Farren, O'Flynn etc in the pecking order just because they moved abroad.

mypost
12/10/2005, 3:01 PM
if you think the quality of players in the EL is better than the top of the Championship or whatever they call Division 2 these days, then you need your head examined.

If you put any Championship team in Europe, with their superior players :rolleyes:, would they even win a leg, never mind a tie?? Cork progressed through two rounds of Europe this season. Others have progressed in Europe too, that shows why the NL Premier Division is of a better standard.

Passive
12/10/2005, 9:32 PM
We were in Cyprus on holiday, ffs. Most of us didn't even care about the Ireland result, we were just on the **** for a week in the sun. Everyone needs to go on holidays and one of the downsides about the summer season is that you will miss a match or two. Nothing to do with Ireland playing, most of us just decided to coincide our holidays with the game.

Oh, for the record, club over country every time.

mypost
13/10/2005, 4:28 AM
We were in Cyprus on holiday, ffs. Most of us were just on the **** for a week in the sun. Everyone needs to go on holidays and one of the downsides about the summer season is that you will miss a match or two.

It has nothing to do with the summer season. Winter-season countries play in October too. Unlike those countries, we have only a few games left in our season at that time of year, a week that may well prove crucial in deciding the league, and promotion/relegation issues here. NL fans who went to Cyprus should therefore have gone to their club's games instead, as they turned out to be more important in the long run.

Passive
13/10/2005, 10:42 AM
It has nothing to do with the summer season. Winter-season countries play in October too. Unlike those countries, we have only a few games left in our season at that time of year, a week that may well prove crucial in deciding the league, and promotion/relegation issues here. NL fans who went to Cyprus should therefore have gone to their club's games instead, as they turned out to be more important in the long run.

Are you a wind-up?

Every part of the season is crucial, so are you saying NL fans should only take winter ski breaks now? With the exception of one or two away games I missed because of work, I have gone to every Rovers game this season and I - like dozens others - have helped with off the field matters too. I miss one game because I have the cheek to take a holiday and suddenly I'm not a proper fan? Spare me mate, I'll take my punishment in the next life.