PDA

View Full Version : AC to go?

superfrank
06/10/2005, 3:42 PM
AC Milan 'could leave San Siro' (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/4315214.stm)

drinkfeckarse
06/10/2005, 3:51 PM
That would be a big shock, if ever there was a "spiritual home" for a team, it's that one.

It's funny how looking back to around Italia 90 we used to marvel at the Italian stadia but now most of them look decrepid.

holidaysong
06/10/2005, 5:41 PM
I was in the San Siro during the summer and they were doing it up for the first time since Italia '90 so the woman giving the tour said. I was a bit shocked at how small looking it was...

thejollyrodger
06/10/2005, 6:24 PM
I never thought the San Siro was that old, and I never thought the Italian stadia were old and decrept either. But just look how quick they will be in rebuilding them compared to our efforts in getting 6,000 all seater stadia around the league.

The San Siro is in a prime site, they should just knock it and rebuild it on the same spot with a bigger capacity. Im sure the two teams can ground share somewhere else in the mean time.

crc
06/10/2005, 7:29 PM
I was in the San Siro during the summer and they were doing it up for the first time since Italia '90 so the woman giving the tour said. I was a bit shocked at how small looking it was...
When I was there I thought it was immense. The San Siro is, as the guy says, one of the better stadiums in Italy. The major problem they have, like everywhere in the world, is if they don't get over 60 or 70 thousand, the atmosphere suffers. I was lucky I got to see AC playing Lazio, so the place was packed and the atmosphere electric, but if you only get 30 or so thousand (even though by most standards thats a big crowd) you might as well be at Whitehall to watch CHF and Kilkenny.

anto eile
07/10/2005, 12:05 PM
jollyroger - the san siro doesnt need a bigger capacity! its a smaller one it needs. the lack of roofs in italy and running tracks are bad though. most of the stadia might look fantastic from the inside.but on the outside most of them are just big uniform concrete bowls

Dodge
07/10/2005, 12:20 PM
jollyroger - the san siro doesnt need a bigger capacity! its a smaller one it needs. the lack of roofs in italy and running tracks are bad though. most of the stadia might look fantastic from the inside.but on the outside most of them are just big uniform concrete bowls
I wouldn't judge a stadium by how it looks out the outside. Surely whats inside is what matters (In the Nou Camp, ground level is the second tier...)

Agree with the lack of roofs (rooves?) and abundance of running tracks being a problem but when they get the stadiums as "municipal buildings" there's not much they can do. When they start building their own they can what they like...

Bluebeard
07/10/2005, 1:53 PM
The major problem they have, like everywhere in the world, is if they don't get over 60 or 70 thousand, the atmosphere suffers.
Very similar to the problem we have in the RSC. Had we crowds of 60 or 70 thousand back, the atmosphere would have meat that we'd have done much better this year;)

superfrank
07/10/2005, 3:58 PM
Very similar to the problem we have in the RSC. Had we crowds of 60 or 70 thousand back, the atmosphere would have meat that we'd have done much better this year;)
Em yeah....a similar thing is happening in Turin with the Stadio Delle Alpi. I think they only had 20,000-25,000 at the Juve-Inter match last Sunday, in what's known as the "Derby of Italy". Watching it, it was very eerie with so many empty areas.

Some clubs like Parma and Fiorentina don't have the running tracks and their stadiums are a lot smaller and compact but I don't thin it adds to the atmosphere.

thejollyrodger
07/10/2005, 4:40 PM
its whats inside that counts. I wouldnt give a rats ass what tolka looks like on the outside if you have a proper field of view.

Maybe Milan do need a smaller stadium, the days of sell out stadiums seem to be gone. The only time they need it is for a world cup or european championships which is a rarerity.

CollegeTillIDie
08/10/2005, 7:38 AM
In a lot of countries Eastern Europe and South America spring to mind, clubs have small stadia capacity up to 18,000. Then in bigger cities there would be a larger stadium... such as the National Stadium in Bucharest, or the Marancana in Rio, where the larger more attractive games are played.
To put things in an Irish context, say for example we had a 25,000 all seater stadium in Dublin, and all the clubs had their present venues. A hugely attractive game between say Bohs and Rovers or Shels and Derry which might in the future ( fingers crossed) be too large for Dalymount, or Tolka be played in the 25,000 all seater venue which could also be used for Cup Finals, Under 21 internationals held in Dublin, Inter-League games Setanta Cup and European club fixtures.

thejollyrodger
08/10/2005, 10:18 AM
Yeah, I have always been in favour of something in the region of 20,000 - 30,000 seater stadium being available to different sports in Munster. Something similar in Dublin would be also very benefical.

CollegeTillIDie
09/10/2005, 5:02 PM
Do AC Milan have an alternative venue ready to roll in Milan?

In a lot of countries Eastern Europe and South America spring to mind, clubs have small stadia capacity up to 18,000. Then in bigger cities there would be a larger stadium... such as the National Stadium in Bucharest, or the Marancana in Rio, where the larger more attractive games are played.
To put things in an Irish context, say for example we had a 25,000 all seater stadium in Dublin, and all the clubs had their present venues. A hugely attractive game between say Bohs and Rovers or Shels and Derry which might in the future ( fingers crossed) be too large for Dalymount, or Tolka be played in the 25,000 all seater venue which could also be used for Cup Finals, Under 21 internationals held in Dublin, Inter-League games Setanta Cup and European club fixtures.

superfrank
10/10/2005, 3:25 PM
Do AC Milan have an alternative venue ready to roll in Milan?
AFAIK, they don't.