PDA

View Full Version : Frei ready to serve an ace

tetsujin1979
06/10/2005, 2:50 PM
(not sure if this should be here or World Football - mods feel free to move)
from http://www.uefa.com/competitions/WorldCup/news/Kind=1/newsId=349194.html

Somewhat against the odds, Switzerland lead Group 4 entering the final week of FIFA World Cup qualifying, and they can strike a decisive blow en route to Germany 2006 by overcoming second-placed France in Berne on Saturday.

French impression
If they are to do that, there could be a starring role for striker Alexander Frei. Having top-scored in Ligue 1 with Stade Rennais FC last season, the talismanic No9 has proved he has the ability to hit French defences where it hurts.

Enviable position
Even so, the forward is surprised his side have the chance to eclipse France at this late stage of qualifying. "I always knew our team had the ability to qualify for the World Cup," he told uefa.com. "But I wouldn't have expected to be leading the standings with two matches to go."

Strong performances
A goalless draw in France on 26 March has helped keep Raymond Domenech's men at bay, but other results have been equally crucial. "We have done well against the smaller nations and that's why we are still on track for qualification," he said. "But the best will come on Saturday.

Decisive matches
"In the past we have played very well at home in 'must-win' games," he added. "We achieved automatic qualification for [UEFA] EURO 2004™ by beating the Republic of Ireland 2-0 two years ago. I'm sure we can be stronger than France, maybe not in the long run but certainly on the day."

Yakin absent
The 26-year-old remains confident of a notable Swiss success even though Hakan Yakin has not been called up. The playmaker's absence may harm the supply lines to Frei, but he insists Jakob Kuhn's side can do without the talented Yakin. "We have played without him before," he shrugged.

Swiss celebrity
However, it was always going to be Frei rather than Yakin that the French would be nervous about. Despite Rennes enduring a difficult start to their domestic campaign, Frei's goalscoring threat is well known among Domenech's squad and he is undoubtedly the most famous Swiss footballer in France.

Bigger picture
"Of course, it is nice to be respected in such a big football nation and it makes sense as I have done well there," he explained. "But Switzerland doesn't consist only of Alex Frei. Raymond Domenech is such a great coach that he is sure to be well-informed about all our players."

Modest striker
Whether the coach can neutralise Frei remains to be seen. With 22 goals in 38 internationals, he will take some stopping. The Swiss already regard him as a phenomenon, although Frei is modest about his abilities, saying only: "I know that I can play a bit of football."

'Match points'
Yet when it comes to characterising Saturday's match, another sport springs to Frei's mind. "I compare the situation to a tennis match," he said. "We have two match points now and I am sure we can qualify as the No1 team in our group."

davey
06/10/2005, 4:00 PM
I hate Frei:mad: :mad:

Stuttgart88
06/10/2005, 4:05 PM
I'd love Ireland to win & then we should allow Mark Kinsella on to the pitch to offer Frei his comiserations.

concanta
06/10/2005, 4:11 PM
part of me wants him to get suspended against france on saaturday but then if we do get to playoffs I would like him to be on the pitch when we do it

Tram_14
06/10/2005, 4:31 PM
Having top-scored in Ligue 1 with Stade Rennais FC last season, the talismanic No9 has proved he has the ability to hit French defences where it hurts.

But what Frei has failed to mention is that he has only scored once for Rennes this season & his overall recent form for the french side has been poor.

I think Frei can be dangerous, but he is slow & with his bad temper could easily pick up a second yellow against the french.... heres hoping!

Did anyone hear the swiss journalist from "La trente?" interviewed on off the ball last night, he mentioned that the feeling within the Swiss media was that two major games back to back was too hard a task for the swiss team?

I think the fact that Hakan Yakin is not playing is a great break for us.

concanta
06/10/2005, 4:36 PM
Ideal result is a victiry to france and huggel and frei getting a yellow
thats fair enought but who on our team do you thin kis in form

i would say duff(???) or Keane.....we aren't setting the world alight
I think think a good win against cyprus will give his a lot of confidence, especailly if the swiss lose, and we will ahve morrison and reid back

Lionel Ritchie
07/10/2005, 11:24 AM
Cant go along with that. Ideal result is obviously 1-0 to Switzerland followed by them losing 2-0 to us.

concanta
07/10/2005, 11:28 AM
i know what you are saying when you say for the swiss to win 1 0 but i cannot see us beating them by more than one goal thats why I say france to win as then the swiss will have to come and try and win in dublin