PDA

View Full Version : Hutton deflects the pressure on to Cork

joeSoap
06/10/2005, 1:13 PM
Hutton deflects the pressure on to Cork
Paul O'Hehir = Irish Times

SOCCER/National League: Happy to deflect all the pressure away from his team-mates and onto his rivals, Derry City captain Peter Hutton is adamant the National League title is Cork City's to squander.

Hutton, who collected the Eircom/Soccer Writers' Association player of the month award for September yesterday, maintains Cork are primed for success but should they slip up his team will be there to capitalise.

Both sides are level on 57 points but Cork, who have a game in hand, top the standings, with seven games to play, by virtue of goal difference.

"We're in the running for all competitions and our goal is to stay in contention until the very end," says the 32-year-old who hopes to emulate his championship-winning season of 1996/97 with the Brandywell club.

"If results keep going the way they have been it could come down to the last game of the season (when Derry face Cork at Turner's Cross). It's Cork's league to lose as they're in the driving seat. We need them to slip up and if they do we'll be right there to pick up the pieces."

Hutton has been a key figure in the heart of the Derry defence and capped a wonderful month by turning in a man-of-the-match display in the League Cup final win over UCD a fortnight ago.

"Things are going well for the team but also for me personally. Last week's win over Shelbourne has given us a massive boost and I think it's testimony to our fitness that we can score late goals like that. But ultimately it's about keeping the consistency going as there's still a lot of football to be played."

drinkfeckarse
06/10/2005, 1:21 PM
Let the mind games commence....:D

Éanna
10/10/2005, 12:42 PM
"It's Cork's league to lose" It has been all season basically. He's only stating fact

Krstic
10/10/2005, 2:34 PM
Lads is there a Bar near to Turners Cross???

I'm planning on going down for the Cup game and the league game.
I need a pub very close by so as I can nip into the stadium at about the 88th minute in order to see Derry's winning goals;)

Schumi
10/10/2005, 2:37 PM
Lads is there a Bar near to Turners Cross???
The Horseshoe isn't too far away I suppose. ;)

Éanna
10/10/2005, 2:38 PM
The Horseshoe is right next door Krstic, Derry fans usually in there before and after and there's always great craic. But if you want to see Derry's winning goals, you'll need to travel back in time, which may be harder to arrange :D

razor
10/10/2005, 2:45 PM
Twould be more in his line to be off somewhere practising penalties.

Krstic
10/10/2005, 2:58 PM
Twould be more in his line to be off somewhere practising penalties.

Och sure why, we can afford to miss 2 per game and still come out on top, and down to ten men for most of the game in to the bargain:D

Boys when your names on a trophy................your names on a trophy:p

bigmac
10/10/2005, 3:55 PM
The Horseshoe is right next door Krstic, Derry fans usually in there before and after and there's always great craic. But if you want to see Derry's winning goals, you'll need to travel back in time, which may be harder to arrange :D

Why, have they already won the game? Typical Cork, throwing in the towel before the kick-off even :D

razor
10/10/2005, 10:11 PM
Boys when your names on a trophy................your names on a trophy:pYou don't believe all that clap trap do you? I believe that your name is destined for a particular trophy after you in fact win that trophy and no sooner. Do I detect a hint of arrogance creeping into the Derry camp?

dancinpants
10/10/2005, 10:19 PM
You don't believe all that clap trap do you? I believe that your name is destined for a particular trophy after you in fact win that trophy and no sooner. Do I detect a hint of arrogance creeping into the Derry camp?

Thats hilarious. Are you serious? C'mere, Cork have been nothin' but arrogant all SEASON. I wouldn't go so far as to say we're arrogant but more confident. And if nothin' else at least we left it until the final few series of matches.

razor
11/10/2005, 7:15 AM
Thats hilarious. Are you serious? C'mere, Cork have been nothin' but arrogant all SEASON. I wouldn't go so far as to say we're arrogant but more confident. And if nothin' else at least we left it until the final few series of matches.Well you've never heard any arrogance from me and one or two arrogant Cork City fans on this board do not represent the majority of us. But sure if its convenient for you to tar us all with the same brush then drive on.
While ye definitely have the momentum now I believe a couple of wins on the trot for us will swing it back our way and i'll be happy enough for it to go to the last day, as would most Derry fans I guess but would obviously prefer to have it in the bag before then.
But remember, Its in our hands.

Skunkito
11/10/2005, 7:55 AM
While ye definitely have the momentum now

Never mind the arrogance boyo. I smell fear! :p

razor
11/10/2005, 8:22 AM
Never mind the arrogance boyo. I smell fear! :pWith a handle like that I reckon tis bullsh*t. :D :D