PDA

View Full Version : 32 Counties

Seanie
29/04/2002, 8:54 PM
If the Irish World Cup squad could be picked from the 32 counties, how many players from the North would Mick pick. I reckon Neil Lennon would be the only certainty. Roy Carroll should force his way in ahead of Alan Kelly, but only Aaron Hughes, Keith Gillespie and David Healy would be worthy of contention.

Éanna
30/04/2002, 1:15 PM
Lennon is the only one good enough.

Andyh
20/05/2002, 10:55 PM
:confused: I Don't know why everyone thinks lennon is such a good player. In terms of those from the northern ireland squad who would make the grade i would also include players such as lomas and magilton and big gerry taggart.

MikeW
20/05/2002, 11:36 PM
Yeah, I really don't think Neil Lennon is up to much either. However since its a squad we're talking about he'd probably make it alright as he's definitely better than Lee Carsley. Outside of one or two others who would have an outside chance of getting in the squad, but who would ultimately be left out, I don't really see any Northeners who'd make the grade. And thats not because of how good we are, realistically we're really not that good, its more of an indication of how bad the north are at the moment.

These things are cyclical though, we'll be struggling again soon and they'll produce one or two decent players again, thats the nature of small population international teams. Merge them however, and you'd get a reasonably consistent production of good players. Its the way forward as I see it, when it'll happen though is entirely a different matter.

Andyh
21/05/2002, 9:46 AM
I am from northern ireland and support them. i can take constructive criticism. But claims of no northern players making the grade are a bit far fetched. Players such as Aaron Hughes who is a brilliant defender and has played consistently for newcastle all season and would compliment any team. Also as mentioned previously lomas has come back from injury and had a good season at westham. Also Gillespie has had a good season wuth blackburn. Also Morrison is at present only a first division striker as is david healy, and at least Healy is Irish. I agree football runs in cycles as is shown by how good Northern Ireland were in the past, and how poor the republic were. No one can say how good the squad will be when players like Keane and Quinn retire.

Éanna
21/05/2002, 6:51 PM
Originally posted by Andyh
I Don't know why everyone thinks lennon is such a good player.
By my reckoning he's better than carsley (how hard is that :rolleyes: ) and holland and probably of a similar level to kinsella. taggart i would have put in a few years back, maybe not anymore and Gillespie should definitely be challenging McAteer for the right wing spot.