PDA

View Full Version : Negativity

Kevin77
05/10/2005, 1:24 PM
There is an awful lot of negativity about at the moment regarding our chances and Brian Kerr's future. In the press and on here.

It reminds me of just before the Cameroon match in the 2002 World Cup. All the papers were predicting the Cameroonians would easily beat our supposedly destroyed team. If I remember rightly Dunphy predicted 3-0 to Cameroon.

How wrong the majority were. While we didn't set the world on fire, we performed admirably.

The problem we have is in situations like this our media and as a result our fans are becoming far too much like the English. We start Lionising the opposition and tearing apart the credentials of our manager, coach and players.

Let's be honest.

We are in a difficult position. Personally I think Kerr has made some decisions I dont agree with (when Robbie Keane got injured against the Israelis at 2-0 and bringing on a midfielder stands out). Maybe he has cost us? It could/should be argued McCarthy did the same. He got 3 and a half campaigns. Maybe Kerr should be given another campaign regardless of the outcome.

If not, because the (realistic)alternatives are unlikely to be an improvement. Only O'Neill of the semi realistic replacements mentioned is likely to be an improvement on Kerr.

I'm not sure we have to worry about Robson. He's unlikely to give up the relative comfort of West Brom for the poisoned chalice of Ireland. Thankfully.

Ferguson is a no goer. I'd love to see it, but cant see it happening. Even if he finished at Utd in the summer, he's likely to retire.

Keane - no chance.

I'm not saying it's the time to be falsely optimistic. Personally I think we've made a rod for our own back and it breaks my heart to say that I doubt we will win both matches and thus have a play off.

It's just time we all stopped being so manic and stopped following the lead of the British press and having knee jerk reactions and thinking we need to sack someone everytime things go wrong.

dr_peepee
05/10/2005, 1:37 PM
He's not being sacked!! And it's unfair to compare us with the English. I don't think anyone on this board has called for Brian Kerr's head midway through a campaign, and we acknolwedge that the time for him to be judged is at the end of the current one. I don't think 'The Sun' readers accross the water can be credited with that kind of objectivity.

Two questions have to be asked. One is that have we seen anything from BK over the last two campaigns to support that stance that he's the man to take our squad, a weaker one at that, to the next euro championships. And secondly are there better alternative out there.

The whole thing has been handled poorly by all parties, Kerr included. The comments made by Kerr last week were mistimed. He should realise that qualification for Germany '06 should be first and foremost on his mind, and that of the FAI, and not the following campaign for Euro '08. The FAI also have allot to answer for.

drummerboy
05/10/2005, 1:42 PM
When the group was drawn originally, most people would have bitten your hand off for the present scenario. However the home performance against Israel has cast a huge shadow over this team. Our first half performance against France was good, but we were very poor in the second half.

Cowboy
05/10/2005, 1:49 PM
He's not being sacked!! And it's unfair to compare us with the English. I don't think anyone on this board has called for Brian Kerr's head midway through a campaign, and we acknolwedge that the time for him to be judged is at the end of the current one.

Some have called for his dismissal previously

tetsujin1979
05/10/2005, 2:13 PM
When the group was drawn originally, most people would have bitten your hand off for the present scenario. However the home performance against Israel has cast a huge shadow over this team. Our first half performance against France was good, but we were very poor in the second half.
Agreed, given our previous record against the Swiss, the fact the France were in the group (despite being poor in the previous 2 international tournaments), and Israel's improving form in recent time, I reckoned second spot was our best chance. It's still within our grasp, and still down to what we do, win twice and we take second, doesn't matter if the Swiss stick 10 past France, or the Faroes lie down and die in front of Israel.
I'd have taken your arm and all off if I was offered that scenario going into the final 2 games.

Stuttgart88
05/10/2005, 2:13 PM
Here's a more positive / upbeat view of current matters from Steven Reid:

REID REMAINS BULLISH OVER WORLD CUP HOPES
From Ian Parkes, PA Sport, Limassol

Republic of Ireland winger Steven Reid has revealed his sympathy for
under-pressure manager Brian Kerr but insists the players need no extra
motivation to qualify for the World Cup.
Speculation suggests Kerr will be out of a job if Ireland fail to clinch at
least a play-off place come the end of their remaining two Group Four qualifying
matches against Cyprus in Nicosia on Saturday, and against Switzerland at
Lansdowne Road next Wednesday.
Nothing less than six points will do for Kerr, who has faced considerable
criticism since a 1-0 defeat at home to France last month, leaving the
Republic's hopes of qualification - and his own position - on the line.
The names of possible successors are already being bandied about, leading to
suggestions of a siege mentality being adopted by Kerr, who yesterday chose not
to conduct a scheduled media briefing.
If the knives are out, the only way they will be sheathed again is if Ireland
reach next summer's finals in Germany, with the speculation hardly conducive to
harmony when it is required most.
Yet Blackburn midfielder Steven Reid concedes Kerr's future is not top of the
players' agenda, with the focus simply on winning the last two games with the
players pulling in the right direction.
``Brian has done a great job, and you feel for him at times like these,'' said
Reid.
``Things have been written about the manager, but we don't really read them.
We know if we stick together then we will pull through and get the two results.
``The lads want to win through as much for themselves. We want another taste
of a World Cup experience.
``We're going into these games with great togetherness, and if we do pull
together then there's no doubt we will get the results we need.
``Every squad I've been in, the one thing we've been good at is sticking
together and shutting out outside influences.
``We've faced unfair criticism in a couple of the games. To come off against
France and seeing how well we played, it was disappointing not to win the game.
``We were really down after that match, but we know if we win these last two
then we are in with a great shout, and the lads are really confident.
``If you look at the players we've got, without a shadow of a doubt these are
two games we can win.''
Ireland, though, face Cyprus without Manchester United captain Roy Keane after
he recently broke a bone in his left foot, while Crystal Palace striker Clinton
Morrison and Tottenham winger Andy Reid are suspended.
But failure is not an option, especially when Reid insists the squad at Kerr's
disposal are reaching their peak and are ripe for another crack at playing in a
World Cup finals.
``We will be devastated if we don't get the results,'' added Reid, who has a
chance of making his first competitive appearance for two years.
``Players of the stature we have in this squad should be qualifying for the
World Cup, with the ability and belief certainly there.
``We've players like Damien [Duff] playing for one of the best teams in Europe
in Chelsea, while Robbie [Keane] is doing well when called on for Tottenham.
``There is a whole host of good players, with a lot of them reaching a peak
next summer, so it would be good to be there to see how we compete.''
For a player who received a surprise, late call-up into the squad for the 2002
finals in Japan and South Korea, and who enjoyed two even more surprising
substitute appearances in those finals, Reid is itching for a return.
``I'm hoping it was not a once-in-a-lifetime experience because to go there
again and hopefully play a bigger part would be brilliant,'' added Reid.
``The World Cup experience was unbelievable. Not only is it about winning
matches, but you get a whole nation behind you.
``You carry the hopes of not only yourself and the team, but also the whole
country, so the hunger is there within the players.
``You only have to look at Roy [Keane] coming back into the fold. He is
desperate to play in the World Cup next summer.
``It's the highlight of a player's career. You can go on about club football
all your life, but to play in the World Cup, there's nothing better than that.
``Make no mistake, we're going into both games desperate to win for both
ourselves and the country.''

OwlsFan
05/10/2005, 2:32 PM
Normally of a pessimistic vein (comes of years of following Sheffield Wednesday), I was optimistic we could get the 6 points from our remaining two games. However, when thinking about it, we have only beaten a major competitor in Dublin once in the last 4 years (Holland 1-0 and we were blessed that day).

It's all going to come down to whether we can take our chances and then hold on and ride our luck like against Holland, that's assuming we beat Cyprus. The Swiss are no world beaters but then neither are we and it will come down to who really wants it the most. We matched France in our last game and apart from a split second of Henri magic there was nothing between the teams. We must look for something similar from Duff or Keane against the Swiss then all this talk of negativity will be forgotten (until the play offs at least ).

mypost
05/10/2005, 2:39 PM
There is an awful lot of negativity about at the moment regarding our chances and Brian Kerr's future. It's just time we all stopped being so manic and stopped following the lead of the British press and having knee jerk reactions and thinking we need to sack someone everytime things go wrong.

It wasn't the media who threw 2 winning positions against Israel, it wasn't the media who made bad substitutions at critical times, it wasn't the media who talked up inferior opposition. It wasn't the media's fault why we approached every game against weaker opposition negatively. It wasn't the media's fault, that a player decided he won't play for Ireland while the current boss is in charge. It's not the media's fault that we have failed to beat any meaningful opposition in 3 years, while Kerr has been in charge.

The media supported Kerr's appointment, and I think they have given Kerr every chance to succeed. While it's all very well getting behind the boss, the media in this country are very fair towards our International bosses. If other countries had Kerr's record, there would be open revolt from the press. Kerr has had everything he wanted in this group, from the fixtures, to the players available, to the facilities and the preparation required. It's not the media's fault that he has failed to use that effectively. He wanted the job, and if he is not successful, he has to explain to the public, the media, and the FAI. If he doesn't want to be criticised for failure, then he's in the wrong job.

dr_peepee
05/10/2005, 3:28 PM
[QUOTE=mypost]It wasn't the media who threw 2 winning positions against Israel, it wasn't the media who made bad substitutions at critical times, it wasn't the media who talked up inferior opposition. It wasn't the media's fault why we approached every game against weaker opposition negatively. It wasn't the media's fault, that a player decided he won't play for Ireland while the current boss is in charge. It's not the media's fault that we have failed to beat any meaningful opposition in 3 years, while Kerr has been in charge.[QUOTE]

Objection, Your Honour..... Hearsay and Conjecture.

Sustained

[QUOTE=drummerboy]When the group was drawn originally, most people would have bitten your hand off for the present scenario[QUOTE]

I sincerely doubt that anyone would've aceppted a loss of four points to Isreal at the start of this campaign.

mypost
05/10/2005, 3:33 PM
Objection, Your Honour..... Hearsay and Conjecture.

Sustained

:confused:

Elaborate please.

Tram_14
05/10/2005, 3:49 PM
It wasn't the media who threw 2 winning positions against Israel, it wasn't the media who made bad substitutions at critical times, it wasn't the media who talked up inferior opposition. It wasn't the media's fault why we approached every game against weaker opposition negatively. It wasn't the media's fault, that a player decided he won't play for Ireland while the current boss is in charge. It's not the media's fault that we have failed to beat any meaningful opposition in 3 years, while Kerr has been in charge.

The media supported Kerr's appointment, and I think they have given Kerr every chance to succeed. While it's all very well getting behind the boss, the media in this country are very fair towards our International bosses. If other countries had Kerr's record, there would be open revolt from the press. Kerr has had everything he wanted in this group, from the fixtures, to the players available, to the facilities and the preparation required. It's not the media's fault that he has failed to use that effectively. He wanted the job, and if he is not successful, he has to explain to the public, the media, and the FAI. If he doesn't want to be criticised for failure, then he's in the wrong job.

But it IS the medias fault to be suggesting alternative managers & "creating" bogus stories with 2 possibly 4 games to go. IF he is not successful, then the time to explain to the public, the media, and the FAI, is when we don't qualify & NOT untill then. Don't you understand whether Kerr is right or wrong that all the negative hype at the moment is just helping to create a negative outcome.

I'll ask you a question Mypost, do you want to see Brian Kerr & this team qualify for the world cup?

eirebhoy
05/10/2005, 4:30 PM
It wasn't the media's fault, that a player decided he won't play for Ireland while the current boss is in charge.
Oh give us a break.

mypost
05/10/2005, 4:38 PM
I'll ask you a question Mypost, do you want to see Brian Kerr & this team qualify for the world cup?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The negative hype at the moment, is because the boss has screwed up big time in the campaign. We could have qualified for the last tournament and didn't, we should have qualified for this one already, and haven't, and that is because of Kerr, and his ill-advised tactics. This is the World Cup, you take your chances, not squander them, and this coach has had many direct, and indirect opportunities to take his chances in this group, and hasn't done it. For a team who were second seeds, and are 20th in the world, we should not be in 4th place in our group. It's Kerr's fault, not the media's, as to why there is negative hype around at the moment. I feel sorry for the 15,000 Irish fans who have saved up a lot of money for months to head out to Cyprus to support the side, only for it to be a futile exercise. Brian Kerr has a lot to answer to them for.

CollegeTillIDie
05/10/2005, 4:53 PM
We are becoming West Brit wannabes as a nation in our reaction to things.
Slave mentality gone mad........

Tram_14
05/10/2005, 4:56 PM
I feel sorry for the 15,000 Irish fans who have saved up a lot of money for months to head out to Cyprus to support the side, only for it to be a futile exercise. Brian Kerr has a lot to answer to them for.

You have some valid points but please save your pity for the 15,000 travelling to cyprus until we have failed to qualify, as I think the majority of those fans will support the team to the end of the campaign regardless of whether the manager has screwed up or not. Is quite simple, to attack Kerr now right or wrong is detrimental to us qualifying. If you have resigned yourself to failing before it happens....Whats the point?

mjpcc
05/10/2005, 5:22 PM
Mypost: Are you a man of God?
We have Born Again Preachers here on TV who are always foretelling the future. I've always been looking for one who could predict games and/or horse races.

colster
05/10/2005, 5:24 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The negative hype at the moment, is because the boss has screwed up big time in the campaign. We could have qualified for the last tournament and didn't, we should have qualified for this one already, and haven't, and that is because of Kerr, and his ill-advised tactics. This is the World Cup, you take your chances, not squander them, and this coach has had many direct, and indirect opportunities to take his chances in this group, and hasn't done it. For a team who were second seeds, and are 20th in the world, we should not be in 4th place in our group. It's Kerr's fault, not the media's, as to why there is negative hype around at the moment. I feel sorry for the 15,000 Irish fans who have saved up a lot of money for months to head out to Cyprus to support the side, only for it to be a futile exercise. Brian Kerr has a lot to answer to them for.

Exactly where has he messed up big time. Has he played outrageous formations/tactics? Has he played players in stupid positions? Remember McCarthy played 352, Keane as a sweeper, Kennedy in a free role but he was give time.
I've heard people damning Kerr because of a sub against Israel at home, and cautious approach away + in general. That's hardly messing up big time is it?
I think you'll find that Kerr has played the strongest lineup and formations in all our games. He can't do much once the players cross the line.
I think the real problem isn't the manager but the quality of players.

Colbert Report
05/10/2005, 7:12 PM
At this level tactical errors such as the one at home to Israel are unacceptable. I know he doesn't have the players we had ten years ago but it was his mistake that has cost us qualification. I like Kerr but I think he needs to be let go.

colster
05/10/2005, 7:46 PM
At this level tactical errors such as the one at home to Israel are unacceptable. I know he doesn't have the players we had ten years ago but it was his mistake that has cost us qualification. I like Kerr but I think he needs to be let go.

What tactical error? The fact that he replaced Keane with Kavanagh? That was a marginal decision. I think it was probably a correct one.
It's easy to say that he should have brought on Elliott or another striker. Who knows if he had done that we could have lost the game.

Mayo Red
05/10/2005, 9:58 PM
A lot of people on here seem to forget that we have been punching above our weight at international level for years. That being said, I will be the optimist and say that I think we will make the play-offs at least. As regards Kerr, I think he is a good manager and deserves our support and respect, even though at times he has appeared a little conservative and tactically naive. The trouble with calling for his head is that I don't know if there is anyone out there that could do better at the moment with the present players etc. My biggest criticism of Kerr would be that he has not blooded enough potential players in otherwise meaningless friendlies, for example Aiden McGeady has not been given enough of a chance to show what he can do!

wallis
05/10/2005, 11:06 PM
Here we have a thread attempting to highlight the negativity leading up to these matches and this forum has posters who are criticising it ! Unbelievable ?!

As for those having a go about Kerrs tactics - god almighty, how do you all fit on that bandwagon without falling off ? What garbage. :mad:

'oohh wallis what about that game against Israel ?' (yawwwwn)

Yes what about it ? From what I remember wasnt that the one where we were totally dominant ? The one where the keeper played the game of his life and we had more chances than we had in any other match so far in the group ? Undone by a set piece and a handball is not because of tactics. You have 11 professional footballers on the field , tactics and formations only go so far at the end of the day it is up to your players to do the job. Not properly marking from a free kick and a ball bouncing onto your arm has nothing to do with the man in charge. BK isnt responsible for the 25 yarder that flew in away to Israel for goodness sake. :mad:

What a wonderful thing hindsight is. When we were 2-0 up to Israel everyone in the section I was sitting in was applauding the switch of Keane for Kav. "Great idea , we are 2-0 up, time to bolster the midfield". It made perfect sense , there isnt a manager in a job that wouldnt have thought the same. When we were 1-0 up in Israel it was one of our most professional performances , nice early goal and then close the game out Italian style. But in goes the dream goal and suddenly everyone knew that was going to happen and Ireland had got it wrong again. :mad:

Stop being the gullible fish the media want you to be and look at the position objectively. It is exactly how we expected it to be when we saw the fixtures - we have to beat Cyprus away and we all knew hand on hearts that it would come down to the home game with the Swiss. :mad:

...annnnnnnnnd relaxxxxxxx....

Tram_14
05/10/2005, 11:12 PM
Wallis, that all makes sense to me:) Good post

Qwerty
06/10/2005, 12:23 AM
There isn't any need to be negative, it's all up for grabs. Cyprus away and the Swiss at home is not the toughest of tasks, it's not like we have to beat a top 10 team by any means.

People have opinions and come here to vent etc and that's fine, we have the moaners and groaners and those who think the latest player to make his first team debut in the UK will be our next savior. Plus ca change.

Marked Man
06/10/2005, 1:40 AM
Fairly selective memory there Wallis. The game away to Israel was, with the exception of the goal, a pretty dire performance. Planning to close things out "Italian style" is all well and good if you have a defence that you can rely on, but we haven't had that in a while. The team created absolutely nothing in the final 80 minutes of the game, and invited Israel to come at them. And it's not as if the 25 yarder was the first scare we had in that game.

And you don't need the media in order to be concerned about Kerr's time in charge. All you need to do is be aware that we haven't beaten a good team in a competitive match in his time in charge.

geysir
06/10/2005, 2:42 AM
Undone by a set piece and a handball is not because of tactics. You have 11 professional footballers on the field , tactics and formations only go so far at the end of the day it is up to your players to do the job. Not properly marking from a free kick and a ball bouncing onto your arm has nothing to do with the man in charge.
Wallis you may not be aware, but Mypost was actually less critical than you, he once wrote
"That Israel goal was a fluke. Shay couldn't do anything about it, the likes of Schmeichel still wouldn't have saved it - even with his height."

Stuttgart88
06/10/2005, 6:55 AM
I think it's a pretty consistent theme among Irish fans that those held in high esteem are largely immune from criticism, and those less favoured seem to get all the criticism.

I'm not changing tack here: I was deeply critical of the substitution Kerr made at home to Israel & I was deeply critical of the lack of a substitution in Tel Aviv.

But how Kerr can be blamed for an overhit back pass by O'Brien, a duffed clearance by Given, a pathetic attempt at control by O'Shea, a miss from 6 yards by Duff & a miss from even closer by O'Shea is beyond me.

Stuttgart88
06/10/2005, 7:02 AM
I'll say it for the umpteenth time too:

I know the buck stops with the man in charge but I haven't once heard anyone - on this board or in the media - question the input of Chris Hughton, UEFA Super Licence coach & experienced international footballer. It's not as if we've another Taff on our hands here, this guy is supposed to know his stuff. Is he utterly blameless while Kerr is tactically naive?

bohysingreen
06/10/2005, 8:15 AM
What is going on at the moment in the press is a disgrace,
No matter what anyone thinks of Kerr everything should be put on hold & all emphasis should be about getting behind the team for the next 2 (hopefully 4)games.
Personally I feel if Ireland do not qualify then the buck stops with the manager & Kerr has a lot to answer for, particularly if we finish 3rd or indeed
4th. But until that happens all reservations should be put aside & it should be about getting behind the team, there will be plenty of time for negativity over the coming months if we don’t qualify