Don Vito
05/10/2005, 12:31 PM
Story here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/4312266.stm

tetsujin1979
05/10/2005, 12:34 PM
Confirmed on rte.ie
http://www.rte.ie/sport/2005/1005/ireland.html
No mention of a replacement, but I'd like to see Paddy McCarthy called into the squad, if only to get used to it.

finlma
05/10/2005, 12:40 PM
Great news - if he'd only announce his retirement.
We have 3 experienced centre backs in O'Brien, Cunningham and Dunne and it would be better to have one of the young lads into the squad instead of Breen to get some experience.

johnmac
05/10/2005, 12:45 PM
Great news - if he'd only announce his retirement

What a typically stupid comment after the service Breen has given.

Yes I hope McCarthy gets a call-up as replacement in Cyprus, but just suppose Cunningham gets booked, and Dunne injured in Cyprus, I know who I would rather have playing against Switzerland.

Tipp Townie
05/10/2005, 1:02 PM
[B][I]Yes I hope McCarthy gets a call-up as replacement in Cyprus, but just suppose Cunningham gets booked, and Dunne injured in Cyprus, I know who I would rather have playing against Switzerland.

Have to agree; the Swiss match in Dublin is no place for a rookie

Lionel Ritchie
05/10/2005, 1:07 PM
Great news - if he'd only announce his retirement

What a typically stupid comment after the service Breen has given.

Yes I hope McCarthy gets a call-up as replacement in Cyprus, but just suppose Cunningham gets booked, and Dunne injured in Cyprus, I know who I would rather have playing against Switzerland.

Absolutely John. Breen's the type of player who would've proved very useful for corners, set pieces etc against opposition like Cyprus who may yet show us again how suspect they are at defending set plays against any quality of opposition.

pete
05/10/2005, 1:21 PM
Breen may not be 1st choice now but hes always performed above ability for Ireland. Dispite meerly making up the numbers in the squad now he hasn't announced his retirement like some others - you have to give him credit for loyalty & commitment.

mandrake
05/10/2005, 1:30 PM
your right ..he has a presence in the box

finlma
05/10/2005, 1:47 PM
your right ..he has a presence in the box

Makes up for his lack of presence in defence.
Through the years I've been frightened when I saw his name on the team sheet and he made many mistakes in an Irish jersey.
He did always try his hardest but that doesn't cut it at international football - he just isn't or never was good enough.

pete
05/10/2005, 1:49 PM
He did always try his hardest but that doesn't cut it at international football - he just isn't or never was good enough.

We don't have 22 international class players so squad will always be made up of "next best available" type players