PDA

View Full Version : Aertel's EL focus-Genesis Report

sligoman
04/10/2005, 7:44 PM
MARK O'NEILL-CUMMINS' EIRCOM LEAGUE FOCUS
The recently published White Paper on the Strategic Development of the eircom League from Genesis made for interesting reading, but also threw up a lot of what we already knew.

There were very many valid points put forward that need addressing immediately, a lot of it covered by the UEFA Club Licensing Scheme, which itself hasn't exactly gone smoothly.

A major talking point is the suggestion that the Premier Division be cut to 10 teams with two regionalised leagues directly below it.

Certainly something needs to be done with the First Division, which is going nowhere in its present form.

Two remedies to this would be to have a regionalised First Division or to do away with the two divisions and move forward with a 22 team Premier Division, with each team playing each other home and away.

There are many towns and counties around the country with no eircom League presence but great schoolboy and junior set ups: Wexford, Mayo, Meath, Kerry, the list goes on. The sooner they come into the fold the better.

Many people are still not convinced of the merits of a 10 team Premier.

We've tried it before and it didn't work.

There were many negatives, one being the fact that everyone played each other four times, which of course is happening in the First Division this term.

If regionalisation worked and things were running smoothly in, say, five years' time, many more than 10 teams would be looking for, and deserving of, a place at the top table.

However, a 22 team Premier is an attractive option for the game as a whole as it would also greatly reduce the gap between the haves and the have-nots in the eircom League.

At the moment, several poorly supported Dublin clubs make up the bulk of the Premier, while regional clubs such as Sligo Rovers, Athlone Town and Galway United continue to boast decent crowds.

Rovers had almost 3,000 through the gate on Saturday as they took a step closer to promotion, but with regular visits from the likes of Cork City, Shels, or Derry, this figure would be common place, if not superseded.

The same would also be true in Cobh, Monaghan and Kilkenny, while the reduction in Dublin derbies, which have become less significant as a result of their regularity, would also be a good thing for the game on a national level.

Another major point of the report is the recommended merger between the League and the FAI. This is clearly the way to go and it's unbelievable that it hasn't happened yet.

It's quite clear that Genesis is suggesting that the eircom League has a lot of potential and can reach that potential if given the right guidance.

Clubs must integrate more with their local communities and present themselves to aspiring young players as an attractive alternative to English clubs.

All of that is possible, if the clubs can agree on Genesis' recommendations. That will be the hard part.

On a separate, but indirectly connected matter, wasn't it great to see Kevin Doyle get his international call-up at last? Sad though, that the record books will show that it was as a Reading player and not as a Cork City man. If only Genesis had been called in a few years earlier!

NY Hoop
05/10/2005, 9:50 AM

??? Didnt work? Miles better than the rubbish system we have at present. Then he wants a 22 team league:rolleyes:

Heaven help us. Where do rtengland get these people from?! On a previous post he said "I think referees are great":D

Muppet

KOH

Roverstillidie
05/10/2005, 10:14 AM

??? Didnt work? Miles better than the rubbish system we have at present. Then he wants a 22 team league:rolleyes:

Heaven help us. Where do rtengland get these people from?! On a previous post he said "I think referees are great":D

Muppet

KOH

bring back john byrne, far better written. :p

CollegeTillIDie
06/10/2005, 12:46 PM
Well 10 teams playing each other FOUR times did not work. Fans did not go to all of the games they picked and chose when they would go to see Rovers V Derry for example. Not going to both games but only the First one. And they certainly did not travel to both away games in any significant numbers.
Playing the same team 6-7 times a year including League Cup and F.A.I. Cup is just plain boring!

NY Hoop
06/10/2005, 12:57 PM
Well 10 teams playing each other FOUR times did not work. Fans did not go to all of the games they picked and chose when they would go to see Rovers V Derry for example. Not going to both games but only the First one. And they certainly did not travel to both away games in any significant numbers.
Playing the same team 6-7 times a year including League Cup and F.A.I. Cup is just plain boring!

Not true and no evidence to say fan numbers were down. People will always pick and choose games. Speak for yourselves on travelling to away games in numbers. I didnt notice any shortfall in away support. Far too much was made of this playing each other 4 times. For Gods sake it was just one more game! And it does not necessarily mean that you play ALL those teams in the League Cup and FAI Cup.

What is boring is this farce now. It has been proven not to work. No other league plays each other 3 times. Believe me clubs were happier having 18 home games a season. Unfortunately the majority voted like the sheep they were to go back to this failure. There are NO advantages to this present system.

KOH

thejollyrodger
06/10/2005, 1:37 PM
ten teams full time professional is enough with 3-4 teams doing the business in Europe. Thats as much as we can expect from such a small population and having so many field sports.

The Cup will take on more of an intrest for teams and the Setanta Cup can be run through the season as well. It will also give enough time for the clubs to prepare for Europe without a backload of fixtures piling up.

pete
06/10/2005, 1:45 PM
I don't know which is best system but all i can say is were very few easy games in the 10 team Premier. Even playing Home Farm was no guarantee of 3 points for top teams.

The 12 team has gone back to way where have 2 team adrift at the bottom.

Schumi
06/10/2005, 1:55 PM
I don't know which is best system but all i can say is were very few easy games in the 10 team Premier. Even playing Home Farm was no guarantee of 3 points for top teams.

The 12 team has gone back to way where have 2 team adrift at the bottom.The two teams adrift at the bottom would both be there in a ten-team division too so what's the improvement?

NY Hoop
06/10/2005, 2:03 PM
Not true. Last season only CHF were adrift at the end and the season before as you should know there were 3 teams in it til the last game of the season. The point is the 10 team league was more competitive.

Anybody arguing for the 12 team league is in the same bracket as the fools wanting to go back to the winter league:rolleyes:

KOH

CollegeTillIDie
06/10/2005, 5:16 PM
Not true and no evidence to say fan numbers were down. People will always pick and choose games. Speak for yourselves on travelling to away games in numbers. I didnt notice any shortfall in away support. Far too much was made of this playing each other 4 times. For Gods sake it was just one more game! And it does not necessarily mean that you play ALL those teams in the League Cup and FAI Cup.

What is boring is this farce now. It has been proven not to work. No other league plays each other 3 times. Believe me clubs were happier having 18 home games a season. Unfortunately the majority voted like the sheep they were to go back to this failure. There are NO advantages to this present system.

KOH

A few years ago Israel and Slovenia played 3 rounds of League matches copying us.

Battery Rover
06/10/2005, 8:50 PM
However, a 22 team Premier is an attractive option for the game as a whole as it would also greatly reduce the gap between the haves and the have-nots in the eircom League.

Bit in our local paper yesterday in an interview with Paddy McCaul he said that he wouldn't rule out a 22 team league for next season.

bigmac
07/10/2005, 10:48 AM

The 12 team has gone back to way where have 2 team adrift at the bottom.

I hate the idea of playing each team 4 times. As for 2 teams adrift at the bottom, while I agree that Waterford and Harps are in the most trouble and look the most likely candidates for the relegation spot, there's only 6 points separating Waterford from Bray. With 7 games left, I don't think that anyone below Bray can consider themselves safe from the playoff spot.