PDA

View Full Version : U-19 Squad announced

tetsujin1979
04/10/2005, 9:08 AM
Pretty strong looking side. With the top 2 to qualify from this group, I'd expect Ireland to go through. Wonder how Ipswich feel about losing Garvan?

Republic of Ireland Under 19 Squad
Billy Clarke - Ipswich Town
Owen Garvan - Ipswich Town
Darron Gibson - Manchester United
Jonathan Hayes - Reading
Mark Keane - Bohemian FC
John Paul Kelly - Bohemian FC
Shane Long - Reading
Simon Madden - Leeds United FC
Marc Mukendi Tshilumba - Derry City
Ian Morris - Leeds United
Edward Nolan - Blackburn Rovers FC
James O’Brien - Glasgow Celtic
Diarmuid O’Carroll - Glasgow Celtic
Darren O’Dea - Glasgow Celtic
Darren Randolph - Charlton Athletic FC
Darren Stapleton - Reading
Anthony Stokes - Arsenal FC
Shane Supple - Ipswich Town

Fixtures:
Sunday 16th Oct —
Italy v Moldova 2.30pm Midleton
Northern Ireland v REP OF IRELAND 7.00pm Turners Cross

Tuesday 18th Oct —
Northern Ireland v Italy 2.30pm Midleton
REP OF IRE v Moldova 7.00pm Cobh

Thursday 20th Oct —
REP OF IRE v Italy 7.00pm Turners Cross
Northern Ireland v Moldova 7.00pm Cobh

eirebhoy
04/10/2005, 9:18 AM
Wrong thread title, should be U-19's. :)

tetsujin1979
04/10/2005, 9:29 AM
Wrong thread title, should be U-19's. :)
My mistake, don't know how I missed that one, can the mods change it - I can't

cheifo
04/10/2005, 6:21 PM
Just a few questions if any one can answer.Whats the team likley to be?Who are the best prospects?Whats gibson like?How are babies made?

Thanks

eirebhoy
04/10/2005, 7:29 PM
GK:
Shane Supple (Ipswich Town)
Darren Randolph (Charlton Athletic FC)

D:
Darren Stapleton (Reading)
Darren O’Dea (Glasgow Celtic)
Eddie Nolan (Blackburn Rovers FC)
Marc Mukendi Tshilumba (Derry City) - Think he's a defender???
Simon Madden (Leeds United FC)

M:
Ian Morris (Leeds United)
John Paul Kelly (Bohemian FC)
Mark Keane (Bohemian FC)
Jonathan Hayes (Reading)
Darron Gibson (Man Utd)
Owen Garvan (Ipswich)

F:
Diarmuid O’Carroll (Glasgow Celtic)
Anthony Stokes (Arsenal FC)
Jim O’Brien (Glasgow Celtic)
Shane Long (Reading)
Billy Clarke (Ipswich)

Gibson has been a regular for Man Utd's reserves this season and is another described as the next Roy Keane. Just like Steven Ireland, he's a lot more attacking than Keane ever was though.

Jim O'Brien is basically the same as McGeady. Born in Scotland but chose Ireland. He is on fire for the U-19s this season, scoring a hattrick in his last match and has made the reserve bench a couple of times. He was originally a right winger but since he's moved up front has been scoring regularly.

I think Garvan is the youngest player in this squad and is starting all of Ipswich's games of late.

Randolph will most likely start in goal. Nolan at right back, Stapleton left back, O'Dea centre back. Gibson, Kelly and Garvan in midfield. The rest I would be just guessing.

cheifo
04/10/2005, 10:26 PM
Much obliged Eirebhoy sounds promising.

byrnie20
06/10/2005, 11:21 PM
Just a few questions if any one can answer.Whats the team likley to be?Who are the best prospects?Whats gibson like?How are babies made?

Thanks

Darren Gibson scored a cracker for Man UTD reserves tonight against Everton,he is a very good player who reminds of Alonso.
The best prospect in my opinion is Owen Garvan(CM),he has the ability to be world class.There are other players who are good prospects,Eddie Nolan(DC) is a great prospect,he is good on the ball and is a great leader,who all of the Ireland U17's looked up to,when i spoke to them.Darren O'Dea(DC/LB)is a good prospect and looks good for Celtic reserves.Johnny Hayes(LW)seems to have a habit of scoring sectacular goals for Reading reserves.Jim O'Brien(RW/WS)has been doing well for Celtic reserves/U19's recently.
I do think this a very good U19 squad,and is well worth watching if you can get the chance.

Stuttgart88
07/10/2005, 8:30 AM
Darren Gibson ...reminds me of Alonso.

I do think this a very good U19 squad,and is well worth watching if you can get the chance.

I'd pay money just to watch Alonso kick a ball against a wall, so I hope you're right about Gibson.

Would love to see these guys playing but it'll be hard from London!

Garvan has had great reviews from Joe Royle and the English print media, who, in fairness, would have no reason to single him out. I've hread Billy Clarke is good & we've all heard the talk about Stokes.

I think it was Sean McCaffrey who was quoted on 11-a-side.com that Darren Randolph is an amazing prospect in goals. Has he played yet this season? Wasn't he sent on loan to Blackpool or somewhere?

When 5 Irish are in the FA Youth Cup winning team it's got to be a good sign. A couple of them (Sinnott & Lordan) of them aren't even in this squad. Are they overage?

tetsujin1979
07/10/2005, 9:09 AM
I think it was Sean McCaffrey who was quoted on 11-a-side.com that Darren Randolph is an amazing prospect in goals. Has he played yet this season? Wasn't he sent on loan to Blackpool or somewhere?
He's at Accrington Stanley. Who're they??
Manager isn't too pleased he's going to be missing for 3 games either - http://eleven-a-side.com/acrossthewater/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=19421