PDA

View Full Version : Kerr turned his back on his own!

A face
03/10/2005, 11:27 PM
What do people think ..... Did Kerr turn his back on the people that got him where he is ??

sligoman
04/10/2005, 12:08 AM
To put it simply, eh, no;)

tricky_colour
04/10/2005, 12:57 AM

“There’s nobody there who’s eligible to play for us who we haven’t delved into the possibilities to find out firstly if they were eligible, secondly if they were committed and thirdly if they were good enough,” Kerr said. “And I’m very strong on that, I can assure you.

“Are people proposing that we go back to a situation of having six or seven or eight non-Irish players playing on the team ahead of players who have come right through the system and there may not be much difference between them in terms of ability?” “Yes,” would be the answer, if they were honest, of many fans who always felt the ends justified the means when it came to joining the world’s greatest party.

END QUOTE

I am not sure what you mean by "to get where he is" he has not actually got
anywhere yet, well not as far as Germany anyway.

Interesting how he refers to "non-Irish" playing in the team because of course
they are Irish or at least partly Irish or of mixed Nationality. Are such people
to be excluded from International competition? If that was the case then
most International teams would have their squads halved at a stroke.
Is Patrick Viera (Paddy lol :D ) French or Senegalese?
How about Claud Makelele? French or Congoan? I could go on....
Why should the Irish team have to stick to standards of Nationality that other
teams do not adhere to?

I guess we will have to dig up St Patrick as he is a true Irishman isn't he ? ;)
Have to be careful he doesn't opt for England or Scotland though:rolleyes:

Oh yes and I will go on, Zidane is an Algerian so he shouldn't be playing for
France either, Henry is Martiniquan, so his goal should be ruled out.......
Infact if you know of any of the French players whose ancestors rubbed
shoulders with Asterix the Gaul I would be delighted to know!!!

Cosmo
04/10/2005, 7:20 AM
What do people think ..... Did Kerr turn his back on the people that got him where he is ??

No - why do some stupid Eircom League supporters go on about this :confused:

If ever there was a man that would give EL players a chance if they were good enough, it is him.

Bottom line is theres nobody in the EL that deserves to get into the ireland squad at the moment. Thought doyle deserved it when he was with cork but thankfully he's now got his chance seen as were missing a few players (unfortunately hes with reading now).

As for a small minority of people getting their knickers in a twist over the transfer fee re: doyle, read keers comments again. He actually has a point on the fee as how many irish players do make it in england despite how good they do at underage level, Eircom league, etc? Very few. And if EL clubs want to demand higher money for players theres going to have to be more than one to be a success (and lets not forget doyle has only played a couple of games over there so he can hardly be called a success over there now - but he will be eventually no doubt)

Reading did get a bragain though, but under the circumstances cork could hardly demand more (though who knows how high reading wouldve bidded if it wasnt for the clause cork put in his contract themselves).

So bottom line is, Kerr has a job to do and to say he has turned his back on the EL is very unfair imo (sure i even saw him at a dublin city match last season with very few people at it :rolleyes: )

Macy
04/10/2005, 7:30 AM
No, he goes and watches matches in the eL, and know's the players. If he doesn't think any are good enough, then so be it. The problem with McCarthy and Charlton was they wrote off the league without ever bloody watching it - christ the FAI couldn't even get them to turn up to the bloody Cup Final.

More Cork Bollóxology over their summation that Doyle wouldn't have been picked if still at Cork and was only called up because he's now at reading - we simply don't know. However, that view point certainly ignores the fact that the squad is seriously weakened this time, and the fact that other eL players have made the squad in similar circumstances.

tiktok
04/10/2005, 7:52 AM
More Cork Bollóxology over their summation that Doyle wouldn't have been picked if still at Cork and was only called up because he's now at reading - we simply don't know. However, that view point certainly ignores the fact that the squad is seriously weakened this time, and the fact that other eL players have made the squad in similar circumstances.

Doyle wouldn't have been picked for the Irish squad if he'd been at CCFC Macy, it just wouldn't have happened.

The squad isn't seriously weakened either. We're missing one striker for the Cyprus game, and Kerr has brought in two by re-calling Connolly and bringing in Doyle.

The only other EL player to have made a squad under Kerr is Jason Byrne, and depending on who you talk to, that may not even have been a footballing decision.

Macy
04/10/2005, 8:14 AM
Doyle wouldn't have been picked for the Irish squad if he'd been at CCFC Macy, it just wouldn't have happened.
We don't know that. It's just your collective paranoia that has you convinced of it.

Everyone was calling for Jason Byrne to be called up at the time, and when he is it's still held against him. Christ, I thought people would've have seen through Ollie's (and therefore the rest of the shels fanbase) anger at it costing the club money.

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't....

thejollyrodger
04/10/2005, 8:19 AM
kerr is good as dead if he doesnt win the next two matches and then win the play off's. Its because the players are starting to knife him in the back and the media are having a field day with all the stuff they are printing. The indo being one of the worst.

Kerr did himself no favours in his dealings with the Eircom League and especailly his cheap shot at Shelbourne.

The FAIlure will have their merry pathetic way and import another englishman to run Irish football for a mad amount of money and a lot of attempts at qualifing

Cosmo
04/10/2005, 8:21 AM
Its because the players are starting to knife him in the back

Apologies for going off topic, but which player/s have knifed him in the back :confused:

Macy
04/10/2005, 8:23 AM
Kerr did himself no favours in his dealings with the Eircom League and especailly his cheap shot at Shelbourne.
He gave one of your players a cap, I'm sure Byrne is and was delighted. Only at Shels can they be so small time to be disappointed a player got recognition....

beautifulrock
04/10/2005, 8:25 AM
I see the anti Kerr movement is gathering a pace, Hogan in the Indo today had the latest dig. It all gets on my nerves, give the man a break. I am behind him more than ever these days because of the ill informed snipers.

thejollyrodger
04/10/2005, 8:37 AM
Macy, lets be honest here.. he didnt give Byrne a cap for his own development. It was a small time act by kerr to have a go at Ollie and Shelbourne F.C !!!

I dont know which players are saying what but the media is picking up on kerr's training regime and his lack of ability.

Even with his low acts and tatical stupidity I still back Kerr. I think the Indo is a fúcking rag of late, printing anything to get Kerr out the door. The FAI are muppets and one of the most corupt organistations in this country.

I would laugh if Ireland won their next 3 matches and we made it through. It would **** all over the indo

Stuttgart88
04/10/2005, 8:41 AM
The Indo's stance has been cowardly in the extreme. Rather than advocating that Kerr's contract not be renewed they're saying "ooh, it looks increasingly like it won't be renwewed. Rumours emerge about this, whispers abpout that...". Stop the speculative tone & actually take a formal editorial stance or shut up. It's as if they're relishing the prospect of world cup failure.

Some extracts from this morning's article (the web version doesn't say who wrote it - was it the Hogan article referred to above?):

Inevitably, names like Martin O'Neill, Alex Ferguson and Bryan Robson surface habitually too, though there is no indication that any of those three would be available to take the post.

They surface because you mention them. Bryan Robson was on the dole 3 years ago - that's why he was a candidate then. There's no reason whatsoever for his name to be connected with this job now.

The question is, in a sense, bankrupt because the buck stops with the manager. It always must when he is on a fat-cat salary.

In today's economic climate Kerr is by no means on a fat cat salary. Given how hard he works & how often he has to be away from home the Euro 300k a year he earns (or whatever it is) is nowhere near a fat cat salary. Disgraceful remark.

The players commit telltale infidelities, breaking little confidences, leaking petty gossips. The media are largely hostile.

Well, the Indo certainly is hostile. The Irish Times is the other way - too protective of him in my view. And tell us - what exactly is being said about him? Cowardly remark. It may be true but if it is, say so.

So, in a sense, all that we are witnessing is the slow, incipient discrediting of Brian Kerr No, you're not witnessing it - you're causing it.

Mark Kerr's card on Thursday morning. Not now. You'd swear The Indo is actually rooting for us to lose. Column inches should be dedicated to the selection dilemmas Kerr is facing, how Cyprus & Switzerland play etc., not a characater assassination of our manager.

This type of article becomes self-fulfilling though. Personally, rightly or wrongly, I think Kerr's days are numbered.

Cosmo
04/10/2005, 8:49 AM
I dont know which players are saying what

Well then dont say it cos your talking sh!te if ye cant back it up - youre one of the clowns getting caught up in the whole media frenzy.

Also to add to macys post - imagine kerr didnt bother putting byrne on for those couple of minutes - i bet you'd be as p**sed off with him as much as ye are now :rolleyes:

tiktok
04/10/2005, 8:57 AM
We don't know that. It's just your collective paranoia that has you convinced of it.

It's not 'collective paranoia' Macy.

It's simply the fact that Doyle wasn't been picked by Kerr while at Cork City, the fact that while at CCFC Doyle wasn't even guarenteed a start on the U21 side by Don Givens for fcuks sake (despite being the country's second highest goalscorer ever at that level).

Doyle probably would have done at least as well this season against Ekranas, Djurgarden and Slavia as he did last season against Malmo, NEC and Nantes. Kerr didn't attend any of our six European games last year, nor did he attend any this year. Doyle's performances would have gone unnoticed by Kerr, who has been at Turner's Cross once since he took the national job (and that was on a junket). He would NOT have been in the Cyprus squad.

People love to point out how many games Kerr attends. He does all of it in Dublin, but he does it as a hobby, not to vet possible international options. You can talk all you want about his giving a cap to Jason Byrne, but in Europe last season Owen Heary, Wes Hoolahan and Kevin Doyle (to start with) proved that not only could they compete on the European stage but that they could excel on it. They weren't deemed worthy, while Lower division football players in England were not only placed in Squads, but were given full caps.

Inter-toto/UEFA/CL football prepares you better for an international squad than struggling in England's nether Divisions does.

What did Jason Byrne offer that Owen Heary didn't? He offered Kerr the chance to screw Shels out of €10k. The sad thing is that Byrne was well wortha call-up but now has to live with these rumours when he's a far far better striker than Doherty ever was.

You can talk about our 'paranoia' until you're blue in the face Macy, but Kerr paid at best scant attention to Doyle while he was at CCFC and I see no eveidence from Kerr in the meantime that it would have changed was Doyle still on our books.

Doyle would absolutely not be on the international squad if he was still st CCFC.

Where you play, not how you play is all important to Kerr.

tetsujin1979
04/10/2005, 9:06 AM
Whatever about the Indo's character assassination, I reckon there's plenty on the board here who are only too happy to help out :(

davey
04/10/2005, 9:11 AM
The Indo's stance has been cowardly in the extreme. Rather than advocating that Kerr's contract not be renewed they're saying "ooh, it looks increasingly like it won't be renwewed. Rumours emerge about this, whispers abpout that...". Stop the speculative tone & actually take a formal editorial stance or shut up. It's as if they're relishing the prospect of world cup failure.

Some extracts from this morning's article (the web version doesn't say who wrote it - was it the Hogan article referred to above?):

Inevitably, names like Martin O'Neill, Alex Ferguson and Bryan Robson surface habitually too, though there is no indication that any of those three would be available to take the post.

They surface because you mention them. Bryan Robson was on the dole 3 years ago - that's why he was a candidate then. There's no reason whatsoever for his name to be connected with this job now.

The question is, in a sense, bankrupt because the buck stops with the manager. It always must when he is on a fat-cat salary.

In today's economic climate Kerr is by no means on a fat cat salary. Given how hard he works & how often he has to be away from home the Euro 300k a year he earns (or whatever it is) is nowhere near a fat cat salary. Disgraceful remark.

The players commit telltale infidelities, breaking little confidences, leaking petty gossips. The media are largely hostile.

Well, the Indo certainly is hostile. The Irish Times is the other way - too protective of him in my view. And tell us - what exactly is being said about him? Cowardly remark. It may be true but if it is, say so.

So, in a sense, all that we are witnessing is the slow, incipient discrediting of Brian Kerr No, you're not witnessing it - you're causing it.

Mark Kerr's card on Thursday morning. Not now. You'd swear The Indo is actually rooting for us to lose. Column inches should be dedicated to the selection dilemmas Kerr is facing, how Cyprus & Switzerland play etc., not a characater assassination of our manager.

This type of article becomes self-fulfilling though. Personally, rightly or wrongly, I think Kerr's days are numbered.

Excellent riposte Stuttgart 88. I can't believe the Indos reporting of late. This debate about Kerrs future is shocking. Lets hope and pray he can stuff down their throats by qualifying. Like you say though, I doubt it - it looks like his days are indeed numbered

Macy
04/10/2005, 9:13 AM
How can he prove otherwise after youse sold him? He has no way of proving his innocence so he must be guilty?

The only people that started these rumours are shels themselves, and a few pats fans who picked up on it and have wound shels up about it.

The likes of Heary and Hoolahan probably have a case to be in the recogning, but no more than that. Once Kerr's watched them I'm willing to go with his choice.

I think Kav should be automatic choice in the midfield, I don't take it as anti Cardiff or Wigan that Kerr doesn't agree....

tiktok
04/10/2005, 9:24 AM
How can he prove otherwise after youse sold him? He has no way of proving his innocence so he must be guilty?

Assuming this is back to the Kevin Doyle thing and aimed at me.

I can't prove that he wouldn't have picked Doyle. That's Obvious.

But what I can do (and did do) is point to the behaviour and patterns that Brian Kerr has followed while national team coach.

He did/does not attend CCFC's European matches.
He did/does not go to matches at Turners Cross. On the one occasion he has shown up (again, while in Cork on a junket), he showed himself to be woefully ignorant of the club's upcoming European game (for someone who apparently is such a valued fan of the league).
He did/does not consider any CCFC player worth watching

Now if he doesn't watch CCFC matches, if he displays such ignorance of CCFC European matches, why would I believe that he would have been turning up to watch Doyle at Turners Cross this season when he hadn't done it while Doyle was playing at the same high standard all last season?

BobbySands
04/10/2005, 9:30 AM
Brian Kerr got to go to Turners Cross as part of a junket ????

Oh the glamour of international football.

Tram_14
04/10/2005, 10:21 AM
The Indo's stance has been cowardly in the extreme.

Stuttgart that is the absolute truth. I have decided not to read anymore of this sh!t between now & the games, its cynical, disparaging & malicious. If Hogan did write the article, maybe I should email him when we reach the playoffs with a couple of suggestions of who might take over his job, god knows a child could write it (no offense to kids). Sure, I don't agree with some of BKs management but the discrediting of Brian Kerr at this point is deliberatly destructive, nothing else, the Indo or Hogan don't give a damn whether we qualify or not.

I'm looking forward to the next two games & I'm positive, its the wrong time for Hogan's Sh!te.

colster
04/10/2005, 11:34 AM
All this Bull about Doyle not being picked while he was playing for CCFC. Could it be that he is now playing at a higher level every week. And a lot of the teams he plays contain current/past internationals?
Kerr can now see that he can perform against higher quality defenders every week rather than in one off European games for Cork.

As for the Kerr bashing. Don't get me started. I think it's a personal thing. Kerr is not as accessible to the press so they're ripping him to shreds.
It's funny how most of the writers now criticising him for conservative tactics were the very same ones that backed him for the job 18 months ago.
He played very similar tactics at underage level. The only person who flagged this was Liam Brady.

beautifulrock
04/10/2005, 11:37 AM
Yes indeed the quotes referred to are from the one and only Mr Hogan, to be fair he always puts his email at the bottom so I suppose I should get back to him directly rather than showing my ire on this board.

mandrake
04/10/2005, 11:51 AM
I think when papers start saying that managers are on their last chance the ball has already started to roll.....these indo articles,(i havent read them) are being maybe so that someone can say 'told ya so' 'heard it here first'....did the same thing happen to muck after the russia game, the media put presure on the swiss game and of course it happened...obviously there was other things but i think when media starts writing things it takes a lot to turn it round...
hopefully he can. its possible we can do it

Marked Man
04/10/2005, 12:56 PM
Just looking at the Indo article online now. It is Vincent Hogan; his name is right there at the end of the article.

Jerry The Saint
04/10/2005, 1:08 PM
The way things are going I expect this thread to form the basis of at least one Herald article over the next few days - "Ireland Fans turn their back on Kerr - Kerr turned his back on fans, fans claim" ...

Cowboy
04/10/2005, 2:28 PM
"Brian Kerr ate my hamster":)

Stuttgart88
04/10/2005, 4:51 PM
Just looking at the Indo article online now. It is Vincent Hogan; his name is right there at the end of the article.

Sorry, yeah. I don't know how I missed it.