PDA

View Full Version : Turkey to join the EU?

Pages : [1] 2

holidaysong
03/10/2005, 6:09 PM
What would people think about Turkey joining the EU? Anyone know if they are going to be made to pull out of Cyprus before they can join? I think they should be and would be surprised and angered if they got away with less than a complete withdrawal..

Poor Student
03/10/2005, 7:07 PM
I'm very against expanding the EU right now. Plenty of the countries in the last acession were not up to it in my opinion and I think Turkey are far from up to standard. I'm also nervous about a large EU border lying beside Syria, Iraq and Iran.

thejollyrodger
03/10/2005, 7:08 PM
im not really in favour because I dont want the EU to become a world power

Plastic Paddy
03/10/2005, 7:18 PM
I'm all in favour and not just for the additional labour pool it will provide to drive the EU's economy when I'm an old man. Although a secular state, Turkey's population is mainly Muslim and so Turkey is in an ideal position to form a bridgehead between Christian Europe and Islamic near-Asia. That said, the Turkish authorities do have a number of issues to address; not least human rights with the Kurds and in Cyprus. That's why accession is rightly being talked about as a longer-term ambition.

:ball: PP

liam88
03/10/2005, 7:28 PM
I'm all in favour and not just for the additional labour pool it will provide to drive the EU's economy when I'm an old man.

When? :D :D :D

Sorry mate couldn't resist!

Plastic Paddy
03/10/2005, 8:04 PM
Don't you start. :( I'm 34 this Friday and starting to feel the pace. For the first time this year (and despite a potentially top night in town as an alternative) I won't be out clubbing - it's just dinner with Mrs PP and friends for me. Like the early shades of autumn, the first stages of middle-age are now starting to kick in. :eek: :)

Poor Student
03/10/2005, 8:24 PM
Although a secular state, Turkey's population is mainly Muslim and so Turkey is in an ideal position to form a bridgehead between Christian Europe and Islamic near-Asia.

I've heard this rhetoric banded about but what does it mean in practice? I can only see this actually heightening tensions between Europe and the Middle East with no buffer zone between them.

liam88
03/10/2005, 9:26 PM
Don't you start. :( I'm 34 this Friday and starting to feel the pace. For the first time this year (and despite a potentially top night in town as an alternative) I won't be out clubbing - it's just dinner with Mrs PP and friends for me. Like the early shades of autumn, the first stages of middle-age are now starting to kick in. :eek: :)

Hey mate don't worry yaself! 34!! Ya met my grandad! He's still playing hurling, soccer American football with me and my mates over the rec, partying till all hours after footie matches, all night party in Cobh on new years followed by another all nighter for my Uncle and Aunts 50th anniversary the next day, and he came to FLogging Molly and the Saw Docters! Age is what you make it.

Macy
04/10/2005, 7:08 AM
I'd be against it until they pull out of Cyprus and sort out their human rights record, prison system, juducial system etc etc.

Think the religion thing is over played by both sides of the arguement.

finlma
04/10/2005, 8:04 AM
I think there should be a waiting period of at least 5 years so that they can prove that they are dealing with all the human rights issues.

I do think that Croatia should be allowed join.

BobbySands
04/10/2005, 9:55 AM
Plenty of turkeys in the eu already. One more shouldn't make a difference.

pete
04/10/2005, 9:56 AM
I think its a good idea for Turkey to join especially with the islamic tensions. Turkey being a 99% Muslim secular state would be perfect example of how West & Islam can coexist. Seems they've improved a lot with regards removing military influence on the state as well as rights for the Kurds in recent years. I think its only fair that Turkey is given a list of items they need to do before allowed join - its unfair to force them change internal affairs with no guarantee of entry to the EU.

I don't know enough about the Cyprus issue to comment on who is right. I doubt it would be a blocking point when comes to the crunch.

Baker
04/10/2005, 10:14 AM
From todays Examiner:

"The process is expected to take at least 10 years and even then Turkey will never qualify for the generous farm payments, structural funds or even free movement of its workers enjoyed by current EU members.

The way was cleared for Croatia’s membership negotiations to begin after it was confirmed that the country was cooperating with the UN chief war crimes prosecutor, Carla del Ponte."

pete
04/10/2005, 10:15 AM
The way was cleared for Croatia’s membership negotiations to begin after it was confirmed that the country was cooperating with the UN chief war crimes prosecutor, Carla del Ponte."

Don't know if Croatia should be allowed in as wasn't too long ago they fought a dirty war.

Baker
04/10/2005, 10:24 AM
Don't know if Croatia should be allowed in as wasn't too long ago they fought a dirty war.

I think the main reason talks hadnt started with them yet was because they hadnt been cooperating with the war crimes investigators. I heard there was one guy in particular (cant remember his name) who they had been hiding but that he had decided himself that he should face the music "for the good of the country."

They are expected to be members by 2010.

finlma
04/10/2005, 10:35 AM

Time to forgive and forget, they've moved on and are fully co-operating with the tribunal. Didn't Germany fight a dirty war in the recent past too.

Croatia is a fantastic country and the people are warm and friently and trying to forget the past. I think they deserve to be let into the EU. I've been to Croatia a few times and I love the place. Dubrovnik is one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

Poor Student
04/10/2005, 11:50 AM
I think the main reason talks hadnt started with them yet was because they hadnt been cooperating with the war crimes investigators. I heard there was one guy in particular (cant remember his name) who they had been hiding but that he had decided himself that he should face the music "for the good of the country."

They are expected to be members by 2010.

The lad who they are still looking for is General Ante Gotovina who is still looked upon as a hero by many there. Croatia also adopt a quite irredentism policy against Slovenia and have attempted to lock them into their small bay with no access to the sea. I don't think talks with them should begin until they sort this out. From what I've seen on Croatian TV people value Gotovina more than they do EU membership.

Macy
04/10/2005, 12:11 PM
Didn't realise Croatia were still claiming Istria (sp?). When we were there it did seem to me that the people considered themselves Istrian rather than Solvenian, Croatian or Italian....

sadloserkid
04/10/2005, 12:21 PM
I'd be against it until they pull out of Cyprus and sort out their human rights record, prison system, juducial system etc etc.

Bingo. Said it for me.

Poor Student
04/10/2005, 12:24 PM
Didn't realise Croatia were still claiming Istria (sp?). When we were there it did seem to me that the people considered themselves Istrian rather than Solvenian, Croatian or Italian....

Italy claims it, I know that for sure. Some people in Primorje (the Southern region of Slovenia) speak Italian as their native tongue and in the very South there are dual languages signs like in Ireland.

Macy
04/10/2005, 12:29 PM
Italy claims it, I know that for sure. Some people in Primorje (the Southern region of Slovenia) speak Italian as their native tongue and in the very South there are dual languages signs like in Ireland.
We were down in Portoroz, so literally 5 mins from the Croatian border. Didn't really get talking to many of the locals compared to the Alps - more commercial so didn't find the hidden away bars etc were the locals went, and more of a language barrier as well.

WeAreRovers
04/10/2005, 12:30 PM
We have to allow Turkey entry - morally, economically, for security reasons, on humanitarian grounds, etc etc. Vincent Browne wrote a very good piece in the Business Post. It's no coincidence that it's the far right in France, Austria and Germany who are against Turkish entry.

KOH

http://www.thepost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=VINCENT%20BROWNE-qqqs=commentandanalysis-qqqid=8499-qqqx=1.asp

Turkey must be allowed to enter Europe

02 October 2005 By Vincent Browne
As of now, the chances of success are slim. The consequences of failure are serious, serious for relations between the west and the Islamic world and serious for the European Union itself. The suggestion that Turkey is not really part of Europe is disingenuous. It has suited the west to regard Turkey as part of Europe until now, and it would be hypocritical to do an about face.

Turkey became a member of the North American-European military alliance, NATO, in 1952. It has been a member of the Council of Europe since its foundation in 1949. It has been an associate member of the Western European Union since 1992. In September 1963, an agreement was signed to take Turkey into a Customs Union with the EEC (as it was then), and eventual membership of the European Community. Turkey applied for full EU membership in 1987, and the European Commission endorsed its eligibility for membership in 1989. In December 1999, in Helsinki, the EU Council voted to accord Turkey candidate status with the EU.

Since then, Turkey has jumped through countless hoops constructed by the EU to qualify it for EU membership. In September 2001, the Turkish parliament a d o p t e d 3 0 amendments to the country's constitution to meet the criteria for membership. In August 2002, it passed sweeping reforms to meet the demands on human rights fronts. In January 2004, it banned the death penalty. On 1 July last a new penal code came into effect to enable Turkey to meet further EU demands.

So any claim now that Turkey is not really eligible for EU membership because it is not European and fails to meet human rights criteria won't wash. It was sufficiently European for it to be part of a European mi l itary al l iance, sufficiently European to be a member of the Council of Europe, sufficiently European to be required to meet the quite reasonable conditions for membership of the European Union.

The objections to Turkish membership are summed up in the racist slogan: “too big, too poor, too Muslim'‘. At present, Turkey has a population of around 72 million. Within the EU, only Germany has a larger population. But by the projected accession date for Turkey, 2015, its population is projected to be 82 million, while Germany's population will be around 80 million. On the poverty front, Turkey is racing ahead economically and while it is currently by far the poorest region in what would constitute a further enlarged Europe, its per capita income by 2015 is projected to equal what will be the average per capita income of the 10 most recent accession states.

As for the religion element, the argument is that the incorporation of a huge Muslim population into ‘Christian' Europe would change the ethos of the EU profoundly. But Europe already has a significant Muslim population, the claim that modern Europe is “profoundly'‘ Christian is farfetched - and anyway, so what? Islam was a hugely civilising force in Spain when the Moors dominated a large part of Spain from the 8th century to 1492.TheMuslim influence in Spain helped enlighten Europe and rescue it from the dark ages. It was a vibrant, culturally rich and tolerant civilisation, quite unlike the barbaric Christian “civilisations'‘ that followed.

Islam is nowadays regarded as violent, intolerant, and regressive. That is the manifestation of a sectarian element of the Islamic world but not at all representative of the core of Islam. An influence of Islamic culture into the heart of Europe again might perhaps civilize the crassness of much of the new Europe (by which I do not mean the Donald Rumsfeld-approved “new Europe'‘).

But there are problems, and they primarily centre around the bigotry, intolerance and racism of much of modern Europe.

The French, Danes, Dutch and Austrians have been promised referenda on the issue of Turkish accession to the European Union. Such promises were never made previously during the accession of any other states, and are a concession to fascist elements in those states. If even one of the states votes against Turkish entry, that is that.

Although any such referenda may be years away, the drift of sentiment in Europe is such as to suggest that there is little hope that Turkey can join. At present, three-quarters of the French are against Turkish entry, 53 per cent of the Dutch are also against it, and 80 per cent of the Austrians oppose it.

The worst of all possible outcomes - and the outcome now most probable - is that negotiations will be successful, Turkey will meet all the criteria for entry, including resolution of the Cyprus problem, full compliance with human rights and democratic demands, agreement on transition arrangements for the free movement of Turks throughout the EU and all that, to be followed by rejection in one or more of the four referenda.

What message will that send to the Islamic world generally? What message will it give to the Islamic populations within the European Union already, in Britain, France, Germany a n d Au s t r i a i n particular? And do the bigots in Europe care a jot? You've guessed it.

And for the European Union itself, what will be the consequences? A major breach on the most crucial issue to come before it in its history. So tomorrow there begins perhaps the most critical phase not just in the EU's lifetime, but in modern Western Islamic relations. We have the means of realising the clash of civilisations, or the means of defusing it - and the signs, for now, are that we will ignite it.

pete
04/10/2005, 2:06 PM
If Austria is against Turkey gaining entry then we should be doing everything possible to allow them in. Germany may have rejected the far right btu Austria seems to revel in it.

Poor Student
04/10/2005, 2:13 PM
If Austria is against Turkey gaining entry then we should be doing everything possible to allow them in. Germany may have rejected the far right btu Austria seems to revel in it.

The Ottoman Empire laid seige to Vienna. Never underestimate the latent collective trauma caused by historical events. The two countries in the form of their empires were enemies for centuries until recently.

pete
04/10/2005, 2:16 PM
The Ottoman Empire laid seige to Vienna. Never underestimate the latent collective trauma caused by historical events. The two countries in the form of their empires were enemies for centuries until recently.

France & Germany had so many wars they probablt lost count. Now they basically best buddies as countries go. What opercentage of Austrian voted for Hader a few years ago? I've never been to Austria but they come across as old germans in hiding.

Closed Account 2
04/10/2005, 10:15 PM
No, I dont think it should be in the EU, I think in terms of geography its hard to describe Turkey as being in Europe (http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=237983&postcount=52).

crc
05/10/2005, 2:31 AM
Yes.

Subject to fulfilling the entry criteria (which is what accession negotiations are all about) there is no reason Turkey should not join. To say Turkey is not European is to have your head in the sand. What is now Turkey has been playing its part in European culture and civilisation for millenia, ever since the period of Ancient Greece, Turks have been engaged in Europe. The Ottoman Empire was one of the 'great' European empires. There are two million Turks in Germany alone.

To say that the Turks should not be allowed in to the EU because they laid siege to Vienna is farcical (particularly on the part of the Austrians and French). One of the raisons d'etre of the EU is to make friends out of historical enemies. It started with Germany and France (well Germany and everyone else, really) but it has worked as well for the UK and Ireland, Germany and Denmark, Germany and Poland, Spain and Portugal, Austria and Italy, and should be for Greece and Turkey.

Greece is in favour of Turkish membership. They still don't see eye-to-eye on some things, but both governments realise that is better for them to have amicable relations that to be in constant conflict. A word on Cyprus. In the 70s the Greek Cypriot government attempted to integrate Cyprus into not-so-democratic Greece in a coup. The Turkish government sent troops over to protect the ethnic Turks living in Cyprus from being subsumed into Greece. Now the Turks aren't completely blameless, and the invasion wasn't legal, but it was understandable on some level. In any case, to blame the Turks 100% for the Cyprus problem is wrong. I think that Cyprus shouldn't have been allowed into the EU until it sorted out its partition somehow.

Vincent Browne is on the ball on the strategic reasons for letting Turkey in, but for me the the most important reason is moral. The main reason many Europeans object to Turkey joining is not economic or political (which will be scrutinised by the accession process), but religious sectarianism, which is in essence a form of racism. If the worst case scenario plays out (i.e. Turkey makes all the reforms and successfully negotiates membership, but is denied by a plebiscite in France, Autria or wherever) it will be a dark day for Europe. If Europe is anything it is enlightened and fair, but to reject a country simply because its people are Muslim would mean Europe is no better than Syria, Iran, Zimbabwe or apartheid South Africa.

CollegeTillIDie
05/10/2005, 7:53 AM
Ok the Austrians have withdrawn their opposition to talk about membership with Turkey. Many reckon that it will be 10 years at least before the Turks join. People speak about the Ottoman Empire and historical reasons.
Well Austria started the First World War and an Austrian started the Second World War and the majority of them as a people sided with the Nazi's during the 1938-1945 period and we let them in to the EU so fair is fair.
Some people think the only good things to come out of Austria since 1945 were The Harry Lime Theme( theme music for the Movie The Third Man) and Arnold Schwarzenegger. :D I haven't forgiven them for inspiring the Sound of Music :D

crc is correct, Greece does in spite of historical difficulties with their neighbours, want Turkey inside the EU. And I also believe that all of ex-Yugoslavia should be admitted in time too. To quote a famous politician " It's better to have every one p****** inside the tent than outside it". Having all these protagonists in the EU is the best guarantee long term of peace in Europe, which is something all 400 million plus Europeans would probably want, apart from the Neo-nazis and I won't get into what should be done with them in this post! Or to put it another way, how can you go to war with someone who is in the same club as you?

Having Turkey inside the EU in time, will be a bridge between Europe and the Arab world( not exclusively Muslim I realise that) and the larger Islamic World. You could in time see a larger role for the EU (including Turkey) in brokering a long term Middle East peace deal for example.

It will be longer term I feel it will take until an equivalent population of mostly christians is absorbed into the EU is when it will happen something along these lines. Croatia 4-5 million, Serbia 8 million (christian population), Montenegro 1/2 million christians, Romania 20 million, Bulgaria 9 million and Ukraine 48 million will all be entering at the same time as Turkey 70 million mostly muslims.
Bosnia with a mixed Muslim Christian population ( 40% Muslim) of 4 million will probably come in as will FYR Macedonia ( 33% Muslim) of 2.5 million population, subject to the usual terms and conditions applying.

The Cyprus situation will be resolved by the Turks and Greek Cypriots prior to the Turks accession to EU membership. And as a side issue watch Cyprus go when they have access to Turkish minority soccer players as well as the Greek speaking population. They will be giant killing then on a huge scale. Remember where you read it first.

crc
05/10/2005, 3:54 PM
To quote a famous politician " It's better to have every one p****** inside the tent than outside it".
"its better to have them all inside ****ing out, than outside ****ing in";)

superfrank
05/10/2005, 4:03 PM
I think they should be allowed join. Forget all the human rights for a moment, forget the Cyprus thing.

Someone made the very good point that if we don't let them join it could lead to a bigger divide in East and West or Christianity and Islam in Europe.

crc
05/10/2005, 4:09 PM
...Forget all the human rights for a moment...
Actually, Turkey's human rights record is one reason why we should be letting them join. By offering them the carrot of membership, we can get the Turkish state to reform. And once they join the EU (in 10 or 15 years) we can monitor and control their performance in this issue (the way the EU did for Ireland's previously disasterous environmental policy). This 'soft power' is actually one of the most powerful tools at the EU's disposal, and it means we don't have to go to war to engender regime-change!

Poor Student
05/10/2005, 4:50 PM
CTID, it will be a cold day in hell before Bosnia is fit to join the EU. Even Serbia is not very likely for well over a decade.

anto1208
05/10/2005, 4:51 PM
i have to agree they have poor human rights issues at the moment but what can be done about it nothing !,but when they join the eu they can be forced to improve them , also most of the rights being ignored stem from poverty something that being in the eu will start to address , just look at our own country and how far we have come since joining , where do we start about human rights in this country with magdinline laundries , industrial schools etc etc .

allthough i wont holiday there anymore for moral reasons ,any one that is travelling there on the holidays will loose out on the DUTY FREE that used to be available !!

Poor Student
05/10/2005, 4:56 PM
The EU didn't solve Ireland's ailments. We worked within the opportunities provided by the EU. If a country does not seize the opportunity the EU will not bring the country up to standard by magic.

WeAreRovers
05/10/2005, 4:59 PM
Actually, Turkey's human rights record is one reason why we should be letting them join. By offering them the carrot of membership, we can get the Turkish state to reform. And once they join the EU (in 10 or 15 years) we can monitor and control their performance in this issue (the way the EU did for Ireland's previously disasterous environmental policy). This 'soft power' is actually one of the most powerful tools at the EU's disposal, and it means we don't have to go to war to engender regime-change!

That just about sums it up. If you want an argument in favour of Turkish membership and for the existence of the EU itself, the above post has it all.

KOH

pete
05/10/2005, 5:10 PM
Theres no doubt the Balkan states will enter eventually. IMO objections to Turkey by existing members are due to race and/or religion. Just like Poland new members don't get the subsidises of previous entrants like Ireland so isn't a huge economic reason to stop Turkey entering.

CollegeTillIDie
05/10/2005, 5:24 PM
CTID, it will be a cold day in hell before Bosnia is fit to join the EU. Even Serbia is not very likely for well over a decade.

Yes Serbia is about 10 years off, but then it is expected the negotiations with the Turks will take that long.

CollegeTillIDie
05/10/2005, 5:25 PM
"its better to have them all inside ****ing out, than outside ****ing in";)
Thanks for putting me straight but you get the point either way:p

Poor Student
05/10/2005, 5:27 PM
Yes Serbia is about 10 years off, but then it is expected the negotiations with the Turks will take that long.

10 years off being told they have 10 years you mean? You're an optimist.;)

CollegeTillIDie
05/10/2005, 5:59 PM
10 years off being told they have 10 years you mean? You're an optimist.;)
I was there in 2001, 2002 and 2003 and the improvements even in those few years were quite something.

anto eile
05/10/2005, 7:31 PM
As for the religion element, the argument is that the incorporation of a huge Muslim population into ‘Christian' Europe would change the ethos of the EU profoundly. But Europe already has a significant Muslim population, the claim that modern Europe is “profoundly'‘ Christian is farfetched - and anyway, so what? Islam was a hugely civilising force in Spain when the Moors dominated a large part of Spain from the 8th century to 1492.TheMuslim influence in Spain helped enlighten Europe and rescue it from the dark ages. It was a vibrant, culturally rich and tolerant civilisation, quite unlike the barbaric Christian “civilisations'‘ that followed.

very interesting tv programme on bbc the other night. europes lost civilizations. documented the moor influence on southern spain. very enlightening.the moor-dominated area was very tolerant, mixed between jews arabs adn christians.of course the pope ****ed things up when he started the crusades and destroyed these tolerant societies.

the moorish influence is hugely visible today in the south of spain, and many names are of moorish origin, al andaluz/ben-al-medina etc
as i said, fascinating programme.

generally speaking, im in favor of EU expansion. but id be worried the EU is expanding to quick/too soon these days.
on a tangent i think expansion into the balkans would be great,it would really help the various states/ethnic minorities etc to move forward from the devastation of the post-Tito years-because its no coincidence that noy EU states have fought a war with each other since joining the EU.compared to the previous 1950 year period 0BC-1945

Poor Student
05/10/2005, 11:28 PM
That would be an awful idea. Bosnia has about 50% unemployment. It's an horrendus entity with a terrible structure. It's well off any sort of EU standard. Kosovo is just as bad, in an awful shape too. A lot of people in the Balkan region are also not too warm on the idea of the EU for various reasons.

finlma
06/10/2005, 7:52 AM
That would be an awful idea. Bosnia has about 50% unemployment. It's an horrendus entity with a terrible structure. It's well off any sort of EU standard. Kosovo is just as bad, in an awful shape too. A lot of people in the Balkan region are also not too warm on the idea of the EU for various reasons.

The country was riddled by war for years so what would you expect. If they put the right structures in place and prove they are working to rectify all human rights issues then they sholud be allowed in within the next decade. I've been to Bosnia and while the place is destroyed from the war they are very optimistic people and have a good cross-over of cultures and would be a good addition to the EU in my opinion

I was in Sarajevo in 2002 and its a fantastic city. Great night life and lovely ladies.

CollegeTillIDie
06/10/2005, 10:11 AM
Well to put a bit of background here. Bosnia was the centre of the ex Yugoslavia Armaments industry.... need I say more

Poor Student
06/10/2005, 10:15 AM
They don't have the right structures in place. It's an absolute mess. The whole Republika Srbska thing is just a mess. There's a lot of black market economy and a lot of corruption. In spite of whether you have had a nice place in these countries or not they have a long long way to come.

WeAreRovers
06/10/2005, 10:23 AM
They don't have the right structures in place. It's an absolute mess. The whole Republika Srbska thing is just a mess. There's a lot of black market economy and a lot of corruption. In spite of whether you have had a nice place in these countries or not they have a long long way to come.

That's the whole point of enlargement. We encourage these countries economically, politically, socially etc. to become modern democratic European states. That's also why it will take so long for Turkey and the Balkan countries to join. They're not joining tomorrow FFS.

Don't forget we were a basket case when we joined in 1973 with a government that thought the very existence of the state was under threat from the IRA.

The EU is a mess at the moment but that doesn't mean the whole project is worthless. On the contrary, it's the best way forward for a peaceful Europe, as has been proved since the end of WWII.

KOH

CollegeTillIDie
06/10/2005, 10:23 AM

Most of the problems stem from the border redrawing which took place after Tito's last Federal Constitutional Referendum. Croatia should not have it's present borders and neither should Bosnia. If both entities had been drawn in a proper manner, the civil war might never have occurred.
The 30% Serbian population in Eastern Bosnia never wanted to be ruled by the Muslim/Croat majority coalition hence the civil war.After the Dayton Accords they continued as Republica Srpska, which is being recognised by Sarajevo now as a de facto regional government. Yes they don't have propers structures yes there is a black market economy and corruption. For one thing the money purloined by the Serb militias during the campaign needed to be laundered. But as the best efforts of the Football Federation have illustrated with the passage of time and when tensions subside some kind of unity is attainable. The All Federal Bosnian First League is a case in point. And people of Serb ethnic origin have been called up by the Bosnian national team.

pete
06/10/2005, 11:06 AM
The EU has been a massive success for peace & prosperity. Its not so long ago that countries such as Spain & Greece were under military rule. The EU also uses its economic weigh on neighbouring countries that will never join such as Russia to make those economies more open & therefore more democratic.

Partizan
06/10/2005, 5:22 PM
My 2 cents worth:

Turkey - should be allowed to join in time but until they clean up their human rights record regarding their Kurdish, Armenian and Greek population and agree to a unilateral & unconditional pullout from Cyprus (in which all Greek Cypriot refugees are allowed to return to their homes or compensated for their loss of property and loved ones and illegal Anatolian Turkish settlers leave occupied Cyprus) then Turkey have to be shown the stick. However the carrot of membership of the EU should also be used to entice citizen Osman. :) Strongly in favour of Turkish membership. Personally I feel this Christian nonsense from the far right is repulsive.

Croatia - Has not apologised for the ethnic cleansing of 200,000 Serbs from Kraijina, Gotovina is a hero :rolleyes: , rampant nationalism and anti-semitism lurking, nuff said about this lot.

Bosnia - In a complete mess at the moment and the presence of thousands of NATO troops is keeping the three main sides from declaring open season on each other. Economy still hasnt recovered from the 1992-95 war. Bosnia like Kosovo is a haven for gangsterism, corruption and drug/people trafficking. The Muslim/Croat federation is racked by infighting and the Republika Sprska is an isolated parastate. Attempts by the Imperial Viceroy Paddy Ashdowne to impose a centralised state is meeting strong resistance from both Croats and Serbs.

Kosovo - Run by the KLA mafia whose ethnic cleansing policy against the remaining Serbs, Gypsies, Jews and Turks seems to be the only thing working in what is a god forsaken place. UN faliure at its most graphic.

Serbia - Fighting for its very existence. Seperatist sentiment in the Muslim dominated Novi Pazar region and Presevo Valley, ethnic Bulgarians in the east, Hungarians, Romanians, Slovaks & Croats in Vojvodina, Montenegro and Kosovo permantely lost means the Serbs gambled all their hand on one throw and lost big time. Many Serbs view the EU with mistrust at best seeing the EU's record in dismantling the old socialist Yugoslavia (fostering of Slovene, Croat and Bosniak seperatist movements) and the EU/NATO inspired land grab in Kosovo. Serbia's refusal to adopt free market economics or abandon the Titoist socialist model in the 1980s incurred the permenant wrath of the West. Need I mention that Kosovo is rich in mineral wealth and multinational companies already moving in to requisition mines and factories owned by Belgrade. To sum it up, Serbia is well and truly ****ed.

Macedonia - a mixture of Bosnia, Serbia and Kosovo.

CollegeTillIDie
07/10/2005, 11:37 AM
Partizan

Bring back Yugoslavia!