PDA

View Full Version : Team V Cyprus

TheJamaicanP.M.
03/10/2005, 2:25 PM
I know we've had threads on the same topic in recent weeks but on current form the following is the team that I think Brian Kerr should select against Cyprus:

1. Shay Given

2. Steve Carr 4. Richard Dunne 5. Kenny Cunningham 3. John O'Shea
(captain)

7. Steve Finnan 6. Graham Kavanagh 8. Kevin Kilbane 11. Damien Duff

9. Stephen Elliott 10. Robbie Keane

I think we all agree that the Cypriot team could provide a huge banana skin on Saturday. However, realistically Ireland should be good enough to beat them. The team I named above is comprised of 11 Premiership players. We may have some very ordinary players but I feel that Konstantinou is probably the only Cypriot player that would get into our team. The aforementioned team is one which is based on a combination of current form and experience.

Shay Given: Has been probably the most consistent Irish player so far this season.

Steve Carr: Beginning to find his form again at a club that has been less than convincing.

Richard Dunne: Despite some mistakes recently he is emerging as the the no. 1 Irish central defender. Should have the physical capabilities to mitigate the threat posed by Konstantinou.

Kenny Curringham: He might be slowing down but he will provide the leadership on Saturday. His importance is accentuated in the absence of Keane.

John O'Shea: Has played plenty of football this season, but needs a big performance in the green jersey.

Steve Finnan: Has been struggling in recent weeks but he has tended to play well alongside Carr on the right flank. Will offer additional protection to Graham Kavanagh in the centre of the midfield.

Graham Kavanagh: It is no surprise that Kav's return to action has coincided with Wigan's surge up the Premiership table. Kavanagh will relish a place at the heart of the Irish midfield on Saturday. Flawless passer of the ball, good vision and real aggression, Kav has for many years been the Nationwide League equivalent of Roy Keane. While he may be stepping into the boots of a man who is irreplaceable, Kavanagh offers additional qualities such as his set-piece delivery. Furthermore, the pace with which the Cypriots play at is tailor-made for Kav to dictate the pace of the game.

Kevin Kilbane: Like most of his Everton team-mates, Kilbane's form has been poor this season. He looks somewhat jaded after the exertions of last season. Nonetheless, Kilbane has huge international experience and has rarely let Ireland down. Even if Kilbane can run himself to exhaustion for 70 minutes, we can replace him with Steven Reid to contribute a similar high-energy game from midfield.

Damien Duff: Some may be casting doubt over the Duffer's flair but this is a game that Duff may cut loose in. Away from the public glare of Lansdowne and on a large pitch, Duff may find the space to take Cyprus to the cleaners.

Stephen Elliott: I've never been convinced by Elliott. As far as I'm concerned the jury is still out on him. Nonethelesss, I have been quite impressed with him this season. He's played more football for Sunderland than I thought he would. On Saturday evening against West Ham I thought he put in a very good performance. He worked very hard and held the ball up well. Indeed he was unlucky not to score. I also thought he provided an excellent cameo performance against Italy when he was sprung from the bench in the August friendly. Physically, I've often felt that Elliott appears to be a boy amonst men. However, the Cypriot defence tends to be quite loose-marking. Elliott could take advantage of this and run them ragged.

Robbie Keane: Hasn't played enough football this season but should be quite confident after scoring twice in recent weeks. One common denominator in all his games since the France match is his hunger and determination. Even away to Grimsby and despite the criticism he received, I felt that his mind was on football. It may be that Keane has a point to prove after the criticism he received in the aftermath of the Lillygate episode.

Stuttgart88
03/10/2005, 2:32 PM
I think I'd go with that XI too. No sign of Holland this weekend so I reckon he's out of the running. Come on Kav - show your quality!

tetsujin1979
03/10/2005, 2:45 PM
Top post JPM, as usual. The only quibble I'd have is that with Kav, Kilbane and Duff all (hopefully) pushing forward, it does leave Finnan as the only defensively minded midfielder. Isolated on the right, it could leave a gap in front of the defence. Ok, it's Cyprus, not Brazil (althought Kilbane and Kav played well in central midfield against them!!) but it is something to be aware of.

finlma
03/10/2005, 2:49 PM
I'd put Stephen Reid in instead in Kilbane but otherwise go with what you have. Kilbane's form is woeful and his confidence seems pretty low. Reid has been impressive for Blackburn this season.

tiktok
03/10/2005, 2:57 PM
I'd like to see Stephen Reid feature as well, but I can't really fault anything TheJamaicanPM has written.

paul_oshea
03/10/2005, 3:30 PM
he said he was going on form, but yet kilbane has been terrible, and so too has oshea. so he is going on the hope that they perform for us rather than club performance this season?!?!?

Littlest Hobo
03/10/2005, 3:47 PM
Good post Jamaica.
One change to you XI. Stephen Reid in for Kilbane.

mjpcc
03/10/2005, 4:01 PM
If John O Shea, one of our three players playing regularly in the champions league, a regular for Man United this season and the 2nd highest ranged Rep of Ireland player in the Actim index (#49) is crap then I'm a Dutchman.

He was excellent for us against France - watch the game - and deserves his place.

http://www.pa-sport.com/products/actim_premiership.php.

Actim is a true indication of a premiership player's form this season to date
Duff is #6.
Gary Breen #55
Stephen Carr #81
Roy Keane #72 - Despite being injured (Will probably drop out in this weeks ratings).
Andy Reid #87

The actim gets better the longer the season goes on as tracks a player over the entire season. Now, I'm not saying it's perfect - for example: Shay Given is not in the top 100 - but it is a good indication of who is in form and who is not.

Richard Dunne was in last week and dropped out this week.

OwlsFan
03/10/2005, 4:09 PM
So if you drop Kilbane, who fights for the balls in the air from the goalie's kick out etc ? I have said before he is our only option when both Elliott and Keane are knee high to a grasshopper.

I'd go with the team except for Reid (S) for Finnan. We shouldn't need to protect the back 4 against Cyprus. If they score one, we should be good enough to score 2 etc.

Fergie's Son
03/10/2005, 5:22 PM
Nice post indeed.

I agree with all of your picks. I can't see Kerr getting adventurous and picking Reid though I do see him coming on as a substitute. Kilbane is there for graft and not for guile so I wouldn't drop him.

That team should be good for 3 points and then it's on to the Swiss!

TheJamaicanP.M.
03/10/2005, 5:39 PM
he said he was going on form, but yet kilbane has been terrible, and so too has oshea. so he is going on the hope that they perform for us rather than club performance this season?!?!?

Paul, if you weren't so selective in the way you read the post you would have read where I stated that I picked the team based on a combination of form and experience.:rolleyes:

Kilbane might not be having a great season but he has still played more football than Steven Reid who has been left on the bench some weeks. By the way I'm Reid's biggest fan. I went to see him play for Millwall before he ever got an international call-up. If he ever fulfils his undoubted potential he may well be the player of his generation. However, Steven Reid has one major flaw: he is too nervous. He has consistently under-performed with Ireland and in the Premiership as he seems to feel the pressure of the big games. He reminds me a little of Duff during his first couple of seasons with Ireland. Trust me, we can count on Kilbane next Saturday. We know what we are getting from him. As pointed out already, Kilbane offers an important outlet for Shay Given from kick-outs. He offers great energy and drive from the middle of the field and with nearly 70 international caps behind him, can we really afford to leave Kilbane on the bench? In addition, Kilbane has played in central midfield with Kavanagh before. The friendly against Brazil and the home qualifier against Cyprus spring to mind.

As for John O'Shea, I can't think of a viable alternative. He has been playing a lot of football this season with Manchester United, both in the Premiership and Champions League. We don't have many players playing at that level. The alternative is a left-back who plays in Spain's second tier, or Alan Maybury from Championship Leicester, or Clive Clarke who supposedly played well for the West Ham reserves last week. Or how about Kevin Kilbane at left-back? Sorry forgot that he's not playing well enough either!!:rolleyes:

shakermaker1982
03/10/2005, 6:58 PM
John O Shea would be my 4th name on the team sheet this weekend after Duff, Keane & Given. Good on the ball, decent pace and can read the game. What else do we need at left back? Harte is a defensive liability who is good at free kicks.

The only change I'd make is Reid for Kilbane. If we can't beat Cyprus then we don't deserve to go to Germany. Simple as. I was nervous enough during the Faroes so God knows what I'll be like over the 10 next days

Don Vito
04/10/2005, 12:37 PM
I agree with PM's selection, bringing in S. Reid from the start would be too big of a gamble for a game like this, although I would like to see him come into the centre at about 70mins for his drive and athleticism. I think the only real debate regarding team selection for this match will be who comes on. Personally, I think if we're still scoreless after 60mins we need to have Ian Harte on the pitch, I know he is weak defensively but at that stage its go for broke time and the man is gifted from the deadball. Would also love to see Kevin Doyle come on in the second for purely selfish reasons, its great to see a player from the Wexford League finally make a breakthrough and I think he's good enough to trouble the Cypriots (even though I've had him in my pocket anytime I played against him in Wexford underage soccer-FACT).

paul_oshea
04/10/2005, 12:43 PM
Kilbane might not be having a great season but he has still played more football than Steven Reid who has been left on the bench some weeks. By the way I'm Reid's biggest fan. I went to see him play for Millwall before he ever got an international call-up. If he ever fulfils his undoubted potential he may well be the player of his generation. However, Steven Reid has one major flaw: he is too nervous. He has consistently under-performed with Ireland and in the Premiership as he seems to feel the pressure of the big games. He reminds me a little of Duff during his first couple of seasons with Ireland. Trust me, we can count on Kilbane next Saturday. We know what we are getting from him. As pointed out already, Kilbane offers an important outlet for Shay Given from kick-outs. He offers great energy and drive from the middle of the field and with nearly 70 international caps behind him, can we really afford to leave Kilbane on the bench? In addition, Kilbane has played in central midfield with Kavanagh before. The friendly against Brazil and the home qualifier against Cyprus spring to mind.

As for John O'Shea, I can't think of a viable alternative. He has been playing a lot of football this season with Manchester United, both in the Premiership and Champions League. We don't have many players playing at that level. The alternative is a left-back who plays in Spain's second tier, or Alan Maybury from Championship Leicester, or Clive Clarke who supposedly played well for the West Ham reserves last week. Or how about Kevin Kilbane at left-back? Sorry forgot that he's not playing well enough either

great reply, i was just picking up on what you said about current form, yet you didnt keep consistent with that, as im sure you are aware ;)

you have given a good description and reason for why the others dont fit your first sentence, and i agree, as i had already but wasnt sure what you were really trying to say.

based on experience alone you do need somone like oshea in there, still unsure of kilbane though, maybe give him a half see how he goes and play finnan right wing with reid replacing him depending.

youngirish
04/10/2005, 1:06 PM
As for John O'Shea, I can't think of a viable alternative. He has been playing a lot of football this season with Manchester United, both in the Premiership and Champions League. We don't have many players playing at that level. The alternative is a left-back who plays in Spain's second tier, or Alan Maybury from Championship Leicester, or Clive Clarke who supposedly played well for the West Ham reserves last week. Or how about Kevin Kilbane at left-back? Sorry forgot that he's not playing well enough either!!:rolleyes:
Play Chris Hughton. At 142 he'd still be more solid than that donkey O'Shea.

Lionel Ritchie
04/10/2005, 2:05 PM
I'd go with JPMs selection but would like to see Connolly get a good long run in the second half.

If we take this game by the scruff of the neck -as I believe we can and should -there is no reason why Robbie shouldn't have bagged a brace by half time. Take him off then or shortly after and give Connolly 35-40 minutes and I reckon he could have a brace of his own.

Cyprus are a poor team with a half decent home record and we just need to show our class and play to our potential. Now at 'em!