PDA

View Full Version : Soccer Show

Gary
28/04/2002, 2:12 PM
It has been decided that The Soccer Show is to be cut from RTEs programming. The show itself is no real loss as it was getting worse and worse by the week, but at least it was something to try and promote the eL. We will now have nothing appart from Chorus sports and the god awful sunday sport (which i can rarely see due to my folks watching corrie).

:mad: :mad:

Ash
28/04/2002, 3:01 PM
I think Sky Sports are gonna be showing The Soccer Show
from next season.
Thats the rumour anyway!

pete
28/04/2002, 8:35 PM
I thought the Soccer Show was fairly ok in previous seasons but ever since they started showing to Sky they barely showed any local football.

RTE never gave the Soccer Show a good time slot - no matter how good a programme it isn't going to attract much of an audience at 11.30pm on a friday night. I think the Soccer Show was only costing RTE 150k a year which seems fairly good value for money to me.

RTE are clearly undergoing a dumping down policy of scraping virtually all home grown tv shows & next year they'll come out with the begging bowl again saying they had to cut the shows cos no money.

:rolleyes:

City Fan
29/04/2002, 12:24 PM
F***ers get a massive rise in the cost of a TV licence and still complain about lack of cash. Sunday Sport, don't get me started on that - nothing more than a promotional vehicle for the GAA.
Look forward to all those repeats and English/American shows on RTÉ though.:mad:

Murphy Out Now!!:mad:

Jaime
29/04/2002, 5:51 PM
The Soccer Show was a bit pathetic, getting home from game on a Friday night, and watching the preview to the game you have just been at. And the journalists sitting at the pub table was pathetic as well. I mean how much does a ****ing studio cost?

pete
30/04/2002, 1:26 PM
Originally posted by Jaime
The Soccer Show was a bit pathetic, getting home from game on a Friday night, and watching the preview to the game you have just been at. And the journalists sitting at the pub table was pathetic as well. I mean how much does a ****ing studio cost?

Last year they didn't preview any games or have those journos at the pub table.

:eek:

Jim Murtha
01/05/2002, 8:06 PM
Until we can show that the league will turn a profit for a sponsor or broadcaster we will be treated in this manner. And after this season any journalist involved with the league has to worry about their credability. After registrationgate we're really just a step removed from the bloody WWF all we need now is a match fixing scandal and we'll have it all.

Is there a way someone could get a grant from the goverement to do the broadcasting themselves? Here in the states their is mechanisms for what is called public access broadcasting.

Jaime
02/05/2002, 3:12 PM
>>>Last year they didn't preview any games or have those journos at the pub table.

Well its obviously been a while since I watched it! Anyway, if we could get a near-uniform kick off time day and time, then Sunday Sport could still catch on. It will be interesting to see the conclusions of the current negotiations with RTE re: coverage anyway.