PDA

View Full Version : Shocking revelations in tonight's Evening Echo!

joe
27/04/2002, 7:58 PM
Tonight’s Evening Echo reveals that nine City players are out of contract this weekend, that Alan Reynolds has agreed terms and that City may try to sign Billy Woods. In an article titled ‘Woods in City paper chase’ (can someone please explain that one to me?) Noel Spillane also gives the rundown on the players on Cork City’s books as:

MICHAEL DEVINE
Signed by ex-Everton and Aston Villa defender Derek Mountfield just 18 months ago for a then record transfer fee. Still has a year and a half to go on his existing contract. Just back from a holiday in USA and heads off to Lanzarote next.

NOEL MOONEY
Out of contract but wants to play first team football again. Self-employed now having just started a new business. Linked with a possible part-time move to Waterford United.

ALAN CAREY
Working for AIB in their Patrick Street branch for the last two years. He has one-year to run on his contract and is anxious to sign an extension to it.

DECLAN DALY
The club skipper is out of contract and about to have talks with Liam Murphy. Wants to play on next season and would be happy with a new one-year deal.

DEREK COUGHLAN
Out of contract in early August after coming back from a trial at Luton Town. The ex-Brighton player is now in his seventh year at Cork and hopes to extend his stay with a new two-year deal.

STEPHEN NAPIER
Out of contract – but happy to sign a new one or two-year deal and sees his long-term future at the club.

DAMIEN O’ROURKE
One year to run on his existing deal and trains every day with the academy boys at Colaiste Stiofain Naofa on the Tramore Road.

NEAL HORGAN
Out of contract and moving to Dublin IT to do a one-year course in Legal Studies. Wants to continue playing for Cork and hopes to get a one or two-year deal though he may have to commute next season.

ALAN BENNETT
A student at Cork CIT, Alan still has one-year to go on his existing contract with the Turners Cross side.

GREG O’HALLORAN
Out of contract on August 1 and back from a loan spell at Longford. He is seeking a new two-year deal and is determined to make an impression next season.

ANTHONY BUCKLEY
Out of contract – looking for a change of club and has been linked with both Waterford United and Bray Wanderers.

CONOR O’GRADY
Signed from Sligo Rovers and still has a year to go at Cork. Keen to extend his contract and go full-time next season, depending on the offer.

COLIN T. O’BRIEN
Has been offered new terms but has yet to sign. He is a target for Waterford United too where he had a loan spell towards the end of last season.

MICHAEL MULCONROY
Former UCC and Ireland Student Games winger and a newcomer to the eircom League ranks. He still has a year to go.

PAT MORLEY
Out of contract and undecided about his immediate football future.

JAMES MULLIGAN
One year to run on existing deal when signed from Finn Harps for a then club record fee. Now in his third year with the club and has a personal goal to end up as the club’s top scorer next season.

COLIN PATRICK O’BRIEN
Teenage star who burst onto the eircom League scene last season with some smashing headed goals. He has two years to run on his current contract.

STEPHEN O’FLYNN
Returned from a three-year stint in youths and reserve football in London and still has a year to run on his current contract.

*also check out page two for a pic of our own Derek in a tux (:D) – his sister is the Cork Rose

pete
28/04/2002, 8:24 PM
IMO we will be without Mooney, Buckley & Colin T next season. Maybe they'll all be off to Waterford?

If skippy leaves too we only got 14 players left in the squad.

Have city ever offered more than a 2 year contract to anyone besides Colin P?

:eek:

Éanna
30/04/2002, 12:31 PM
That is a scandal. Talk about a shower of cowboys. I hope Lennox grabs this all by the scruff of the neck and sorts it out.

Seanie
30/04/2002, 1:43 PM
Fair play to Spillane for laying down everything as it is.

How can a club claim any sort of professionalism in its operations when it allows a sham like this to develop. When a company appoints a new CEO one of his first duties is to ensure that there is no drain of resources out of the organisation - that's exactly what Cork City FC is threatened with now.

Now I know we could give Lennox the benefit of the doubt cos he hasn't been in the job that long. But the simple fact is that it is too much of a risk to have players like Napier, Colin T., O'Halloran and in particular Hoggie out of contract. No matter what they state their intentions are, the situation is that they can freely leave the Cross. Just hope that no Dublin club gets word of Hoggie's situation - he is one player above all others that we can't afford to lose. Players like Hoggie, Carey, O'Rourke, Colin P. & Bennett all need to offered decent long-term contracts. They are the club's future and at least the club will have some bargaining power if any cross channel interest is raised.

joe
30/04/2002, 1:52 PM
Originally posted by Seanie
Now I know we could give Lennox the benefit of the doubt cos he hasn't been in the job that long.

i wouldn't even be that generous. people seem to be forgetting that lennox has been involved since the takeover 6 years ago, and has been vice-chairman for all/most of that time, so he has been in a position of power as we have watched each close season come and each time a glut of players seem to be out of contract

But the simple fact is that it is too much of a risk to have players like Napier, Colin T., O'Halloran and in particular Hoggie out of contract. No matter what they state their intentions are, the situation is that they can freely leave the Cross. Just hope that no Dublin club gets word of Hoggie's situation - he is one player above all others that we can't afford to lose. Players like Hoggie, Carey, O'Rourke, Colin P. & Bennett all need to offered decent long-term contracts. They are the club's future and at least the club will have some bargaining power if any cross channel interest is raised.

agreed, for a club who's only assests, apart from a few sets of gear and some footballs, is the players contracts it defies all logic to have our best players on such short-term deals

pete
30/04/2002, 2:52 PM
The Borad or Management may not have wanted to renew some of the players contracts but seems crazy to have Horgan out of contract concidering he wants to stay & 1st choice left back.

:rolleyes:

No club in the pale would allow this happen or they wouldn't have a team from season to season as they'd all be off to their rivals.

Seanie
06/05/2002, 9:55 PM
Originally posted by joe
i wouldn't even be that generous. people seem to be forgetting that lennox has been involved since the takeover 6 years ago, and has been vice-chairman for all/most of that time, so he has been in a position of power as we have watched each close season come and each time a glut of players seem to be out of contract

Lennox's appointment is now looking more like a cheap attempt to generate a bit of good publicity for the club with no worthwhile effort of reforming the club

Troy.McClure
07/05/2002, 11:41 AM
Well we'll have a better view in a few weeks, afterall people are going to be on holiday now seeing as the season starts earlier this year. But it does look like things are movinng upward again after last year, we have brought in Reynolds, hopefully Billy will be back, and we might get O'Callighan, so that would be 3 solid signings + the floodlights are in now.

Éanna
07/05/2002, 1:19 PM
Originally posted by Eanna
Don't agree. the guy has only been in charge just over a month, and he has been away on holidays for a considerable period of that period AFAIK- change takes time. So many people said, "give the man a season" about gunther, so Lennox should be afforded the same courtesy surely.

You just part of the system now. You tooo friendly with the suits!

;)

Troy.McClure
07/05/2002, 2:55 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
people said, "give the man a season" about gunther, so Lennox should be afforded the same courtesy surely.

Ya but some people just said from the outset "He's (Gunther) not the person I want for the job, we should get him out ASAP"

Lennox Out! :confused: :rolleyes: :o

Colm
07/05/2002, 3:20 PM
Originally posted by Troy.McClure
Lennox Out!

:mad: :confused: :mad:

Seanie
07/05/2002, 4:33 PM
Originally posted by Éanna

Don't agree. the guy has only been in charge just over a month, and he has been away on holidays for a considerable period of that period AFAIK- change takes time. So many people said, "give the man a season" about gunther, so Lennox should be afforded the same courtesy surely.

So we're back to the question of professionalism - does an newly appointed CEO go away on holidays a.s.a.p.?

Troy.McClure
08/05/2002, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by COLM

:mad: :confused:

Its called sarcasam (although it might be spelt differently :p )

Éanna
08/05/2002, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Seanie
So we're back to the question of professionalism - does an newly appointed CEO go away on holidays a.s.a.p.?
Ok, fair point, but the guy has to be given a chance-I'd imagine the majority of people involved in the eL who have the chance to take holidays right now are doing so, with thwe new seasdon starting so soon.

Éanna
08/05/2002, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Troy.McClure
Ya but some people just said from the outset "He's (Gunther) not the person I want for the job, we should get him out ASAP"

I knew someone was going to say that! But it's not what I said- I said Gunther was the wrong choice, and we'd be better off without him. I didn't go roaring gunther out the whole time in his first season, cos I figured he'd just be there that long. People are entitled to hold the same view about Lennox, thats their prerogative.