PDA

View Full Version : City V UCD

A face
02/10/2005, 11:55 PM
Thought City played really well in the first, second yellow was deserved alright but why didn't he cop on .... he might have got away with it if it wasn't so soon after the first. The lines man seriousll bottled the keeper punching Fenn incident, he clearly saw it and the crowd told him so, and he said nothing ..... it is for this reason the standards are sometimes poor in the league, there is no way you can justify this kinda thing.

Anyway ... Could have been definitely 4 nil but possibly 6-7. Quigley had a great game in fairness .... saved one or two screamers in the first.

Roy had a good game in the first ... fairly poor i thought in the second (dunno if its me, but does he play well when Rico is near him, depending on the half) Kearney could have been better ..... One big mistake was City ddin't use the width of the pitch ... should have been dragging UCD all over the park to open up gaps .... Bruton, Flynnie, Roy, Kearney would have torn them apart if they did. Georgie had a great game. Another fault was City didn't release the ball early enough at times and allowed them to defend.

About 3000 there .... good atmosphere in the first and not so bad in the second. Three points in the bag, could have scored a sack full but we only needed one. They had one shot on goal which Devine comfortably took care of.

patsh
03/10/2005, 7:26 AM
Good win alright, the 3 points were all that mattered in the end. Far to much over-elaboration though, taking 2 and 3 touches or making 3 or 4 extra passes to what was needed, when on quite a few occasions, a first time shot would probably have resulted in a goal.
Not to worry, we got the win, so nobody cares about the rest!:p

sullanefc
03/10/2005, 11:14 AM
..... One big mistake was City ddin't use the width of the pitch ... should have been dragging UCD all over the park to open up gaps .... Bruton, Flynnie, Roy, Kearney would have torn them apart if they did. Georgie had a great game. Another fault was City didn't release the ball early enough at times and allowed them to defend.

I'd have to agree with this. In the second half there were wingers free and in loads of space, but the time the ball arrived to them, UCD had got themselves into good positions to defend. A quick cross field pass was called for on a couple of occasions. City need to start shooting from distances at times as well. They are well able to do it in the pre match warm up. Why not in the match??

Poor Student
03/10/2005, 11:22 AM
Keeper punching Fenn incident?

Risteard
03/10/2005, 11:57 AM
Sullane i thought George had a worryingly poor game up until the 75th minute, he had a bit of a shouting match with Rico and bucked up then.
Didn't mind the frustration too much in the end really.
At the end of the day we got the same thing we got 6 weeks ago against Shels, 3 points.

A face
03/10/2005, 12:42 PM

Your keeper kinda knelled down and fell down on Fenn while punching him and the lines man saw the whole thing and did nothing ... he walked about 5-6 yards onto the pitch all right when the ref was there, but he was the guy that saw EVERYTHING. He totally bottled it, the crowd were in disbelief over it.

Poor Student
03/10/2005, 12:46 PM
That would have been a straight red wouldn't it? Would have reduced us to 9 men. Perhaps be bottled it on that account?

razor
03/10/2005, 1:00 PM
Keeper and Fenn had a few verbals then the next cross that came in the keeper came out strong and clobbered Fenn while taking the ball. He then landed on top of Fenn pucking him in the head in the process. Fenn threw him off him and there was a few handbags before the ref produced 2 yellows.

patsh
03/10/2005, 3:05 PM
That would have been a straight red wouldn't it? Would have reduced us to 9 men. Perhaps be bottled it on that account?
Probably the reason why he did nothing about it. If the keeper had gone at that stage (as he rightly should have) the game would have become a bit of a farce.
He didn't need to to do that kind of crap, he is a fine keeper, as you know, and made some truely outstanding saves last night.

Poor Student
03/10/2005, 3:13 PM
I personally believe in the letter of the law in the game and don't like to see the refs balancing these things up in his head.

Troy.McClure
03/10/2005, 3:50 PM
Roy had a good game in the first ... fairly poor i thought in the second (dunno if its me, but does he play well when Rico is near him, depending on the half)

YES!!! Thats so true! :o

So against UCD this year:
P W D L F A Pts
3 2 1 0 6 1 7

Thats must be a record, not bad at all! :)

ccfcgirl
03/10/2005, 4:50 PM
3 points is 3 points .I would of settled for 1 goal win Before the game .We are on the road lads ,Hopfuly to a league medal.

Schumi
03/10/2005, 7:56 PM
Didn't see the Fenn incident as I was down the far end (brutal view from those seats BTW!), will have to see it tonight. I just saw the hyandbags after and a pic in today's paper of Conor Kenna in a headlock! If Quigley had been sent off, god only knows what the score would have been. :eek: He was brilliant, playing with great confidence of late and really deserves the Ireland call-up.

No complaints over the result obviously. After the red card, we didn't really have much chance. It must be a bit worrying from Cork's point of view to have only got one goal from all the possession and pressure they had, Quigley notwithstanding.

Rebal Boy
03/10/2005, 8:12 PM
I thought the 1st half was good, but the 2nd half was very poor. When U.C.D went down to 10 men, City should of went on to win this 3 or 4-0. A win is a win at the end of the day and I'll take it.

Schunter Netz
04/10/2005, 9:16 AM
City need to start shooting from distances at times as well. They are well able to do it in the pre match warm up. Why not in the match??

Roy bot a bollocking from Richardson at one point for shooting. He was told to remember to pass the ball. There was no way even a cocky young fella like O'Donovan was going to do it again. Its hardly surprising the players are afraid to shoot if a bad shot earns a bollocking.

Troy.McClure
04/10/2005, 10:41 AM
Saw the highlights on eL weekly. God that keepper made some good saves! He probably made some of them look better than they were though ;)

Audacity
04/10/2005, 10:12 PM
Roy bot a bollocking from Richardson at one point for shooting. He was told to remember to pass the ball

And rightly so! It's the wingers job to cross the ball in to the strikers at every available opportunity. Take on or two touches at most and release the ball, not try and walk your way into a shooting position when there are players already in there to do that. I'm all for players shooting from outside the box, but that's if they find themselves in such a position. It happened too much the other night resulting with a 1-0 win which should have been double figures with the amount of posession City had...........!!!

A face
05/10/2005, 8:18 AM
And rightly so! It's the wingers job to cross the ball in to the strikers at every available opportunity. Take on or two touches at most and release the ball, not try and walk your way into a shooting position when there are players already in there to do that. I'm all for players shooting from outside the box, but that's if they find themselves in such a position. It happened too much the other night resulting with a 1-0 win which should have been double figures with the amount of posession City had...........!!!

That was a big problem the other night .... the ball wasn't being released early enough the other night and UCD were able to take up positions and defend attacks. We should have been cutting them up !!

GavinZac
09/10/2005, 9:55 AM

to be fair, roy's a striker, he's confident on the ball, and has played that way all his life. so yes, if we play roy on the wing, he's going to go for goal at least twice a game.

CollegeTillIDie
09/10/2005, 10:25 AM
YES!!! Thats so true! :o

So against UCD this year:
P W D L F A Pts
3 2 1 0 6 1 7

Thats must be a record, not bad at all! :)

Bogey team? Me arse!

CollegeTillIDie
09/10/2005, 10:26 AM
Didn't see the Fenn incident as I was down the far end (brutal view from those seats BTW!), will have to see it tonight. I just saw the hyandbags after and a pic in today's paper of Conor Kenna in a headlock! If Quigley had been sent off, god only knows what the score would have been. :eek: He was brilliant, playing with great confidence of late and really deserves the Ireland call-up.

No complaints over the result obviously. After the red card, we didn't really have much chance. It must be a bit worrying from Cork's point of view to have only got one goal from all the possession and pressure they had, Quigley notwithstanding.

And of course the UCD player that got sent off was from Cork... unreliable shower the lot of them !:D