PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Round of the WFAI CUP

Pages : [1] 2

CollegeTillIDie
02/10/2005, 4:25 PM
The teams which have qualified for the second round of the W.F.A.I. Cup on the weekend of 23 October 2005 so far are: Benfica, U.C.D.

Poor Student
02/10/2005, 4:47 PM
Congratulations on Benfica CTID. Hopefully they can be runners up to UCD this year.:D

johnmayo
04/10/2005, 4:53 PM
According to the Western Mayo beat Wexford 2-1

CollegeTillIDie
04/10/2005, 5:08 PM
The teams which have qualified for the second round of the W.F.A.I. Cup on the weekend of 23 October 2005 so far are: Benfica, U.C.D. Mayo League, Cork League, Shamrock Rovers. .
The remaining First Round ties are due to be played over the weekend of 8/9 October 2005

johnmayo
18/10/2005, 5:30 PM
I know UCD are playing Mayo in Belfield but does anyone have anymore fixtures for the 2nd round

CollegeTillIDie
22/10/2005, 10:07 AM
Yes
Peamount take on Shamrock Rovers at O'Haire Park, Newcastle Co. Dublin .
Benfica take on Cork League at RSC Waterford
Dundalk City take on Dublin Womens Soccer League at Oriel Park.

CollegeTillIDie
22/10/2005, 10:10 AM
UCD should be favourites against Mayo League
Dundalk should be too strong for the Dublin League selection ( which is made up from players below the Premier Division)
Peamount should prove too strong for Shamrock Rovers .

There are any number of potentially great games in the Semi-finals coming up.
Will post the results as soon as I get them.

CollegeTillIDie
23/10/2005, 12:50 PM
Peamount beat Shamrock Rovers 5-1 yesterday to become the first side to reach the last four of this year's W.F.A.I. Cup.

Numero
23/10/2005, 2:12 PM
Do you follow the progress of all these teams?

CollegeTillIDie
23/10/2005, 4:08 PM
Do you follow the progress of all these teams?

Yes I do. I used to be the Public Relations Officer for the Womens FAI.

CollegeTillIDie
23/10/2005, 4:09 PM
In a major shock result.. UCD crashed out of the Cup losing their first ever tie in the competition since they first entered back in 2002 on a 1-2 scoreline to the Mayo League. Mayo League now join Peamount in the last four. The other two ties are taking place at the time of writing and when results are known they will be updated.

johnmayo
23/10/2005, 8:37 PM
Fair play to the Mayo Girls they really fought hard. UCD played some great football but the mayo girls had the courage of lions.

well done to Aidan and all involved. Great day for a mayo soccer fan.

Numero
23/10/2005, 11:18 PM
A major shock result? UCD are an excellent team but did you think them unbeatable? In fact, this season I believe they've had very closely fought matches with Peamount, Dundalk, Raheny and also Shamrock Rovers at Belfield where, for once, two major referering howlers decisions really did alter the course of the match.

swinfordfc
24/10/2005, 10:17 AM
So who the four left in cup?
Peamont and Mayo League are 2 who's are the other?
Well done ladies from Mayo.

pineapple stu
24/10/2005, 2:02 PM
A major shock result? UCD are an excellent team but did you think them unbeatable?
In fairness, UCD have won the last three Cups and have been making steady progress in the UEFA Cup while I've never heard of the Mayo League team - certainly haven't even reached any of the last three finals. It's definitely a major shock. You don't have to be unbeatable to be shocked.

CollegeTillIDie
24/10/2005, 10:49 PM
The other quarter-finals saw Dundalk beat the Dublin League selection 3-2, and Benfica lose 1-3 to the Cork League.
The four semi-finalists are now Dundalk, Peamount, Cork League and Mayo League.

The draw took place today

Dundalk V Cork League at Oriel Park, Date and time to be announced
Peamount V Mayo League at O'Haire Park, Newcastle Co.Dublin
Date and time to be announced.

Numero
24/10/2005, 11:04 PM
It was a shock result, I'm not denying that at all. My point really was that anything can happen in cups and UCD are not unbeatable, despite their terrific record in recent years.

I've read their match reports on their website and they have the same annoying tone as that "major shock result" post. It seems in these match reports that when teams play well against UCD it is because UCD dropped their standards and not due to the other team upping theirs. That is arrogance. So when a team defeats UCD - which doesn't happen very often I'll admit - or plays very well against them, why not credit them with something instead of focusing entirely on the "major shock result" aspect?

CollegeTillIDie
24/10/2005, 11:20 PM
Numero

Given that the Mayo League is a selection ,made up of the best players from all the clubs in the top Divisions of that league, which only plays together in the W.F.A.I. Cup it is a major shock and more so that it is not a club side that did it.

johnmayo
25/10/2005, 4:38 PM
<Bias flag>I am a former Chairperson of the Womens league in Mayo but I have dropped out of things as I moved to Dublin. I meet up with the team on Sat evening, I only recognised three of the players although I am only out of the loop 2/3 years.

It was predominatly a young team with majority in their early twenties or late teens. UCD did play by far the better football but Mayo defended really well and had a bit of luck at times.

There has been a lot of hard work put in at underage level in Mayo (both by the league, clubs and Niall Harrison) and it is really annoying (actually no it really ****es me off) that underage national coaches have such a Dublin centric approach- I agree it has changed of recent years but they are still brilliant players yet to be uncovered through out the country if Coaches got off their asses and went to matches down the country and not expect the FDO's to do their job for them.

Mayo have drawn Peamount away... the expectation levels have risen for this team who have only have played a handful of games this season so fingers crossed in the next round

I was asked the night before what I thought the score to be. I said if Mayo lost 3-1 and played well I would be happy. Boy do I have to eat humble pie

Numero
25/10/2005, 9:40 PM
Best of luck to the Mayo girls.

CollegeTillIDie
26/10/2005, 8:10 AM
Peamount V Mayo League... both teams are on their day capable of beating UCD... but I think home advantage may count here.

Dundalk V Cork League... Dundalk won narrowly last year in Cork in the semi-final, I predict a repeat showing this time.

justpassin
27/10/2005, 3:57 PM
who is going to win it now?

any favourites?

All teams will be giving everything as the winner gets into the uefa cup next year.

I am undecided.....

CollegeTillIDie
27/10/2005, 8:12 PM
Yes Dundalk and Peamount have been kept apart in the semi-final draw and should in all probability make the final.
They are also engaged in a Play-off this weekend to decide runner-up spot in the Dublin Women's League Premier Division. They both finished only a point behind League champions UCD this season.

Numero
27/10/2005, 9:11 PM
I think Peamount will probably win bacause they are very pacey and direct- and maybe if they do win and get into Europe some of their players can be sent on a sporting behaviour course.

rasper
27/10/2005, 10:49 PM
what time is dundalk playing peamount and where?

CollegeTillIDie
28/10/2005, 8:03 AM
I will find out and post the details here later on for you rasper.

nemi7
28/10/2005, 1:08 PM
and maybe if they do win and get into Europe some of their players can be sent on a sporting behaviour course.

you feel like elaborating on that comment numero??

the peamount dundalk playoff is this sunday 30th at the dublin bus pitches at coldcut. KO is around 2pm but ill find out for definate later.

rasper
28/10/2005, 3:31 PM
word has it that peamount are afraid to play dundalk this weekend

CollegeTillIDie
28/10/2005, 4:19 PM
rasper.

That could be because three of their best players are over seas. Two in the USA on Scholarship and one in England at the Arsenal Academy... come to think of it there could be more of them in England.

nemi7
28/10/2005, 4:27 PM
word has it that peamount are afraid to play dundalk this weekend

and from where would you be getting these assumptions??

peamount are always up for a game against dundalk cuz the results are never set in stone. this will be the 4th time we meet this season and you can be sure we have our homework done on them ;)
although personally i think playing against UCD has proven to be a better game cuz both peamount and UCD have similar styles whereas Dundalk rely on a defensive game which leads to less goals. Im also not a fan of their play acting and timewasting. apart from obviously slowing the game down it proves they are not confident in their own ability on the field and have to resort to these tactics.

nemi7
28/10/2005, 4:33 PM
rasper.

That could be because three of their best players are over seas. Two in the USA on Scholarship and one in England at the Arsenal Academy... come to think of it there could be more of them in England.

our american scholorship players hav been gone since early August and we have survived just fine thank you very much!
we have a strong squad of players, alot of which have been playin together for nearly 8years so we are quite confident going in to sundays game.
of course its goin to be tough but there will be an element of revenge on our part after the shambles of game between us last month where dundalk knocked us out of the Premier Cup.

CollegeTillIDie
28/10/2005, 4:40 PM
our american scholorship players hav been gone since early August and we have survived just fine thank you very much!
we have a strong squad of players, alot of which have been playin together for nearly 8years so we are quite confident going in to sundays game.
of course its goin to be tough but there will be an element of revenge on our part after the shambles of game between us last month where dundalk knocked us out of the Premier Cup.

All very well however it still reduced the size of the panel !;) I am also looking forward to a possible replay in Lansdowne Road :)

nemi7
28/10/2005, 4:55 PM
as are we!
and glad to see the FAI switched it back to landsdowne cuz its not just the lads who dream of playin on that pitch:)

justpassin
29/10/2005, 11:01 AM
Just found out that the dundalk -v- peamount match is off. Dundalk gave them a walk over. I am not affiliated with either team but my personal opinion is that dundalk are actually afraid to play peamount.

So peamount runners up in the League.

Will be looking forward to the final as I think it will be a great game if both peamount and dundalk progress to the final but my money is on peamount they are a better all round team and more sporting!!

Whoever wrote that peamount are unsporting is talking pure dynamite as I have played against and watched alot of peamount and never was there an act of unsporting behaviour.

So numero it would be interesting to hear why you think peamount are unsporting?

CollegeTillIDie
29/10/2005, 11:06 AM
Just found out that the dundalk -v- peamount match is off. Dundalk gave them a walk over. I am not affiliated with either team but my personal opinion is that dundalk are actually afraid to play peamount.

So peamount runners up in the League.

Will be looking forward to the final as I think it will be a great game if both peamount and dundalk progress to the final but my money is on peamount they are a better all round team and more sporting!!

Whoever wrote that peamount are unsporting is talking pure dynamite as I have played against and watched alot of peamount and never was there an act of unsporting behaviour.

So numero it would be interesting to hear why you think peamount are unsporting?

I was talking with their(i.e. Dundalk) coach last Sunday. He was telling me that Dundalk City Ladies FC operated all season off a squad of 13-14 players. They sustained 5 injuries in their Cup win and he had sent the players to the Dundalk F.C. physio for assessment if they were deemed unfit he was going to have problems this Sunday...so not too surprised they had to concede only 8 fit players. Justpassin, have you actually seen the Dundalk Ladies team recently? They fear nobody I can assure you of that.

justpassin
29/10/2005, 11:36 AM
I was talking with their(i.e. Dundalk) coach last Sunday. He was telling me that Dundalk City Ladies FC operated all season off a squad of 13-14 players. They sustained 5 injuries in their Cup win and he had sent the players to the Dundalk F.C. physio for assessment if they were deemed unfit he was going to have problems this Sunday...so not too surprised they had to concede only 8 fit players. Justpassin, have you actually seen the Dundalk Ladies team recently? They fear nobody I can assure you of that.

Yeah I was out watching the premier cup final between Dundalk and UCD it wasn't a great match to wacth didn't think either team played well it would be interesting to know if any of the peamount girls went out to watch because if they did I would say they would be quite confident playing against them after that performance..

But you never know it's a cup final and anything can happen. My money is still on Peamount though.!

Numero
29/10/2005, 11:56 AM
Never said Peamount are unsporting as a team or squad. I think they're a very good team football-wise but the carry-on from a few of their players on the pitch is unsporting. Their coach should address it.

justpassin
29/10/2005, 12:06 PM
Never said Peamount are unsporting as a team or squad. I think they're a very good team football-wise but the carry-on from a few of their players on the pitch is unsporting. Their coach should address it.

Your last quote you said that they should go on a sporting behaviour course to me that's sounds like your calling them unsporting as i said before i played against them a few times and have never had any problem i play in the lower league and actually respect peamount alot from what they have achieved and hope one day that we can be up there against them in the top division.

What carry-on are you actually talking about?

CollegeTillIDie
29/10/2005, 12:18 PM
Your last quote you said that they should go on a sporting behaviour course to me that's sounds like your calling them unsporting as i said before i played against them a few times and have never had any problem i play in the lower league and actually respect peamount alot from what they have achieved and hope one day that we can be up there against them in the top division.

What carry-on are you actually talking about?

Good question justpassin... do you play in the Intermediate Divisions by any chance?

justpassin
29/10/2005, 12:21 PM
Good question justpassin... do you play in the Intermediate Divisions by any chance?

Yeah play in inter 4.hopefully we'll get a few more players in and we can climb up the divisions and be up there against the best.

Numero
29/10/2005, 12:56 PM
No am not player in intermediate divisions

nemi7
29/10/2005, 1:14 PM

well ive been playin for peamount for a long time and through schools and colleges ive gotten to know alotta girls from opposing teams and not once have i been told that any of our players are dirty or "unsporting".
That and playacting are 2 things we despise in other teams and as a result we never bring it on2 the pitch.

numero i think theres a bit of bad feelin on your part but thats no excuse to label our players.

justpassin
29/10/2005, 1:27 PM
No am not player in intermediate divisions

who do you play for numero????

Numero
29/10/2005, 1:36 PM
Hold on a sec. I have complimented Peamount as a good footballing team, and I've said that their direct style of play could well see them lift the WFAI Cup. I said my personal opinion is that they'll win it, although it is a hard one to call. It will be good for women's football to see another name on the trophy. and it would also be good for an attack-minded team like Peamount to win it, although it doesn't really bother me who wins. Do I sound as though I'm filled with bad feeling?

The remark referred to A FEW/SOME of your players whose behaviour can be less than sporting. It is definitely a minority and is verbal, not physical. It did not just happen in one match. The comments were not attacking other players personally and were not aimed at other players, but made it clear they had little respect for the opposition. Sorry but it's true. Maybe they don't do it all the time, I don't know.

nemi7
29/10/2005, 1:53 PM
Hold on a sec. I have complimented Peamount as a good footballing team, and I've said that their direct style of play could well see them lift the WFAI Cup. I said my personal opinion is that they'll win it, although it is a hard one to call. It will be good for women's football to see another name on the trophy. and it would also be good for an attack-minded team like Peamount to win it, although it doesn't really bother me who wins. Do I sound as though I'm filled with bad feeling?

i appreciate your comments and that you recognise that its a far better game when teams play attackin football. i really do. and you're right, its good to see a bit more competition in the league but what has that got to do with our socalled verbal abuse (of a minority you say) on the pitch??

The remark referred to A FEW/SOME of your players whose behaviour can be less than sporting. It is definitely a minority and is verbal, not physical. It did not just happen in one match. The comments were not attacking other players personally and were not aimed at other players, but made it clear they had little respect for the opposition. Sorry but it's true. Maybe they don't do it all the time, I don't know.

well if they were not attacking players personally then how is this seen as unsporting behaviour??
Im not naming teams but you and i both know that there are alot of
teams out there whos tactics are solely based on intimidation.

im seriously suprised at these comments as were all the girls at training last night.

Numero
29/10/2005, 2:04 PM
You said I had bad feeling, and I was pointing out that I don't and the reasons why (eg. Peamount's direct style etc).

You are automatically thinking 'unsporting' means play-acting or intimidating people. It doesn't, and I would't associate play-acting or intimidation with your team. Unsporting can mean making comments (loudly made) which disrespect other teams as if they are not good challengers and should be easily walked over - which isn't the case let me warn you.

If you said it at training I'm sure the MINORITY! of girls will know deep down who they are and keep it in mind. Hope they do anyway. If they keep it up I'm sure it will give certain teams an extra incentive to beat yis next season:)

Someone asked me who I play for. I'm giving my own opinion, although I'm sure team-mates would agree. But it's my own opinion and I'm not bringing team into it wouldnt be right

justpassin
29/10/2005, 2:20 PM
You said I had bad feeling, and I was pointing out that I don't and the reasons why (eg. Peamount's direct style etc).

You are automatically thinking 'unsporting' means play-acting or intimidating people. It doesn't, and I would't associate play-acting or intimidation with your team. Unsporting can mean making comments (loudly made) which disrespect other teams as if they are not good challengers and should be easily walked over - which isn't the case let me warn you.

If you said it at training I'm sure the MINORITY! of girls will know deep down who they are and keep it in mind. Hope they do anyway. If they keep it up I'm sure it will give certain teams an extra incentive to beat yis next season:)

Someone asked me who I play for. I'm giving my own opinion, although I'm sure team-mates would agree. But it's my own opinion and I'm not bringing team into it wouldnt be right

I think the problem here is that numero got on her high horse and start bi*ching about another team and now is completley backing away from her original comment.Dont make such comments if you can't follow them through.

There is no need for this to be going what example are you showing for the intermediate sides in the league that are trying there best to get to the top division.

Numero you obviously play in premier football and played against peamount but we played them twice pre season and i wouldn't consider us as challengers as we are in Inter 4 but they had the utmost respect for us and it was an honour to play against such a good team.

In my opinion i think you played them and they beat you and your a bit of a sore loser...

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Numero
29/10/2005, 2:38 PM
No, am definitely not a sore loser. If a team loses it is usually their own fault and they should take it on the chin. The table doesn't lie - Peamount I think finished second and are also in semi-final of Cup.

I am not backing down from what I said - or getting off my "high horse" as you call it. The problem was that Nemo7 thought I was saying that all the Peamount players were dirty or intimidating. This is not what was said or meant in the post, and that's why I explained exactly what was meant (ie that a few of their players were disrespectful in comments that they made - i think it's called boasting). Don't mistake that for backing down. It doesn't matter what anyone says, it's the truth.

By the way, justpassin, you seem a little bit infatuated with Peamount.

justpassin
29/10/2005, 2:44 PM
No, am definitely not a sore loser. If a team loses it is usually their own fault and they should take it on the chin. The table doesn't lie - Peamount I think finished second and are also in semi-final of Cup.

I am not backing down from what I said - or getting off my "high horse" as you call it. The problem was that Nemo7 thought I was saying that all the Peamount players were dirty or intimidating. This is not what was said or meant in the post, and that's why I explained exactly what was meant (ie that a few of their players were disrespectful in comments that they made - i think it's called boasting). Don't mistake that for backing down. It doesn't matter what anyone says, it's the truth.
061 498710
By the way, justpassin, you seem a little bit infatuated with Peamount.

infatuated is a very strong word numero...

I have alot of respect for teams like peamount and dundalk ect.As there competition is UCD who basically can take there pick with all the best young players in the league and offer them full scholarships and also train together every day so it's nice to see the likes of peamount and dundalk who have got great teams together and probably train twice a week and finally give ucd a bit of competition.

It's a better league if it's closer it shows that womens football in Ireland is improving...!

Numero
29/10/2005, 6:16 PM
Well we agree on something then