PDA

View Full Version : Cork City V UCD

CollegeTillIDie
02/10/2005, 3:06 PM
The UCD Under 21's (plus special guests) take on Cork City in Turners Cross at 7 p.m. tonight. Owing to injuries and suspensions that is effectively what we will be fielding. Anyone want to predict a result?

Anything other than a Cork City win and put your house on Derry City to win the treble.:eek:

Poor Student
02/10/2005, 3:34 PM
Ok, to put this straight, according to today's paper on top of long term absentee McNally and suspended Shorthall, McDonnell and Hurley both Gannon and Mahon are injured. That's 5 defenders counting Tony Mac as someone who would have stood in with those other shortages. Possibly even Hurley would have dropped back. What would we be fielding had Kenna been injured?! I assume that chap named Long who played in the League Cup 1st round will partner Kenna. Micko at left back. Maybe McAniff at right back? Or perhaps Micko and Kenna in the centre and McAniff at left? I just have no idea who will go to right back. Possibly Kenna as he played there. I imagine our wingers and strikers will consist of Murphy, Martin, Pat McWalter and Dupuy. Arrange them in just about any order apart from Dupuy at right wing they've all filled those roles at some point this season!

I'm going to go for a draw. A youthful and rested College to bravely fight against a tired, nervy and demoralised Cork. Yes, I am an optimist.;)

Poor Student
02/10/2005, 8:20 PM
Just heard Ciaran Harte, Shane Long (obviously) and Damien Kelly started. Also some lad called Jimmy Lee Maher was on the bench. Weak weak team.

Colie
02/10/2005, 8:25 PM
I know we lost, but it's not even a game I could be arsed caring about. 1-0 isn't so bad in the circumstances & considering it's way better than 5-1.

RedX
02/10/2005, 10:28 PM
I'm going to go for a draw. A youthful and rested College to bravely fight against a tired, nervy and demoralised Cork. Yes, I am an optimist.;)

nervy?...demoralised?...tonight was the most one sided game i have ever seen in the eircom league...you can call it a 1-0 HAMMERING...:rolleyes:

CollegeTillIDie
02/10/2005, 11:24 PM
Seamus Long ( a Corkonian) making his first team debut for UCD got sent off after 24 minutes. Cork City scored after 9 minutes so one can only conclude that Cork City couldn't score against 10 men for more than 1 hour :D

CollegeTillIDie
02/10/2005, 11:27 PM
By the way we have about 4 players back on Friday who didn't play V Cork from suspension right ?

Poor Student
03/10/2005, 11:03 AM
nervy?...demoralised?...tonight was the most one sided game i have ever seen in the eircom league...you can call it a 1-0 HAMMERING...:rolleyes:

Relax there Corkie, I was taking the most optimistic outcome I could think of. Had you not dominated a 10 man semi reserve UCD team there would be something wrong with you.

CollegeTillIDie
03/10/2005, 8:23 PM
Where's the report lads? Did pineapple stu not attend? You can't get good staff nowadays :D

P.S. Who's Matthews and which Byrne played?

Schumi
03/10/2005, 8:58 PM
Where's the report lads? Did pineapple stu not attend? You can't get good staff nowadays :D
Only back in civilisation a few hours, have some patience. :p

P.S. Who's MatthewsBilly Bob or something. :D

which Byrne playedConan

RedX
03/10/2005, 10:40 PM
Relax there Corkie, I was taking the most optimistic outcome I could think of. Had you not dominated a 10 man semi reserve UCD team there would be something wrong with you.

No problem jackeen...how could i be anything but relaxed playing a non-entity club..no fans..no ambition..no hope..;)

Poor Student
03/10/2005, 11:11 PM
No problem jackeen...how could i be anything but relaxed playing a non-entity club..no fans..no ambition..no hope..;)

Recycling your bait from the Longford forum?;)

RedX
03/10/2005, 11:21 PM
Were you one of the FIVE supporters that came to see your team play in Turners Cross last night?...or were you studying?...:eek:

Poor Student
03/10/2005, 11:27 PM
Were you one of the FIVE supporters that came to see your team play in Turners Cross last night?...or were you studying?...:eek:

That's a big travelling support!:eek: I was working on Sunday actually. I also had to factor in that the decontamination process from being outside civilization for so long would not enable me to get back to college today.;)

RedX
03/10/2005, 11:35 PM
That's a big travelling support!:eek: I was working on Sunday actually. I also had to factor in that the decontamination process from being outside civilization for so long would not enable me to get back to college today.;)

Thats understandable..:D ....seeming that i am not all that bad credit to your lads last night for never giving up...and Pete Mahon is a decent honest guy...but still you know what i think of UCD..;)

Poor Student
03/10/2005, 11:38 PM
Thats understandable..:D ....seeming that i am not all that bad credit to your lads last night for never giving up...and Pete Mahon is a decent honest guy...but still you know what i think of UCD..;)

By the number of 5 in Cork you can see we have a rapidly increasing support. Don't underestimate us.:D

Schumi
04/10/2005, 12:11 PM
FIVE supporters
I counted four. Counting doesn't seem to be a Cork strong point though, people kept asking me what the score was as if they couldn't count to 1. :D

pineapple stu
04/10/2005, 12:45 PM
Some of us actually went to the match! ;) It takes time to get back from Cork, what with customs and all. Will do up a report later, but suffice to say that with seven first-teamers out, four league debutantes/debut starters in the team, one of whom got sent off after 24 minutes, we were never gong to get anything out of the match. Quigley was superb, but Cork died in the second half and the last chance of the game was a Damo Dupuy shot from outside the area which was ultimately well wide.

Schumi
04/10/2005, 12:47 PM
The first yellow looked ridiculous on EL Weekly last night. I don't think Long even knew your man was there. :mad:

CollegeTillIDie
04/10/2005, 4:13 PM
The first yellow looked ridiculous on EL Weekly last night. I don't think Long even knew your man was there. :mad:

Agreed saw it myself. Long had his back turned at the time of the challenge for the first yellow card.

CollegeTillIDie
04/10/2005, 4:15 PM

RedX
UCD are the best administered club in the League and have never come close to going out of business unlike Cork City c. 1995/96;)

pineapple stu
04/10/2005, 7:00 PM
No problem jackeen...how could I be anything but relaxed playing a non-entity club..no fans..no ambition..no hope..;)
Now now Rednex - we've had this before. How does a club with no ambition consistently punch above its weight? Why does a club with no ambition change its entire League Cup team line-up policy once a Setanta Cup spot is announced? How does a club with no hope come within a game of getting to the Setanta Cup? How does a club with no fans have a bigger average crowd than four or five other teams in the league?

pineapple stu
04/10/2005, 7:04 PM
There's a video download - 7½MB - on the Cork City site. Must be from Chorus. Very jumpy on my computer, but it shows the goal, the second yellow and three or four of Quigley's saves.

pineapple stu
04/10/2005, 7:40 PM
Three days after exiting Europe last season, Cork City met UCD and lost 1-0 in the FAI Cup. As fate would have it, the Students were again City's opponents three days after their European exit, with the scores reversed this time, although UCD owed a debt to keeper Darren Quigley for keeping the game alive to the last.

With three players - captain Tony McDonnell, Stephen Hurley and Brian Shortall - suspended, and another four - Alan Mahon, Brian Gannon, Alan McNally and Paul Byrne - injured, UCD's squad was stretched to breaking point. Pete Mahon put out a very inexperienced XI, with Damien Kelly, Shane Long and Kieran Harte boasting five league appearances between them, totalling less than a game's playing time. Before the game was out, Jimmy Lee Maher was also brought on for his debut.

UCD started on the back foot, and within ten minutes were behind. Roy O'Donovan was allowed a bit too much space on the edge of the area to get in a shot; Darren Quigley, however, had it covered until a nasty bounce right in front of him forced him to parry upwards, where John O'Flynn was lurking to head into an empty net.

A quarter of an hour later, and things were not looking good for the Students - Shane Long, on his debut, was late into a tackle on the edge of the box for the second time in ten minutes, and duly picked up his second yellow for UCD's first red card in over a year, dating back to last season's League Cup quarter-final, when Mick O'Donnell saw red. UCD dropped Gary Dicker back to centre-back, with Damien Dupuy reverting to the wing to leave Robbie Martin to forage alone up front.

Although nothing came of either free, UCD were soon under serious pressure, but Irish U-21 keeper-in-waiting Darren Quigley chose the time for his best ever game for the Students. After being saved by Conor Kenna's goal-line clearance when failing to collect a free into the box, Quigley turned away George O'Callaghan's effort with the help of the bar after a one-two with Neale Fenn on the edge of the box, denied Neale Fenn one-on-one after John O'Flynn's flicked header had sent his strike partner through and then produced the save of the night to parry away another O'Callaghan pile-driver.

The second half, however, was a different story as City were more lethargic and failed to create many decent chances, although Quigley again had to be alert to get a fist to a dangerous curling cross and also late on to catch teammate Kieran Harte's misdirected header.

At the other end, UCD unsurprisingly created little, though not for want of effort, and they kept plugging away until the end, when Damien Dupuy tried his luck from the edge of the area, only to see his shot well off target.

With next Friday's game being postponed, UCD have until Friday week's trip to Richmond Park for their injuries to clear, and although Long will miss the game through suspension, the trio of McDonnell, Hurley and Shortall will ensure a much stronger UCD team next time around.

UCD - Quigley; Kelly, O'Donnell, Kenna, Long; Harte, Murphy, Dicker, McWalter; Martin (C Byrne), Dupuy. Subs not used - Gallagher, D Doyle, AN Other. Jimmy Lee Maher/Matthews (he was announced as both) came on as well, I think for McWalter.

Att - c 2500

Poor Student
04/10/2005, 7:51 PM
Now now Rednex - we've had this before. How does a club with no ambition consistently punch above its weight? Why does a club with no ambition change its entire League Cup team line-up policy once a Setanta Cup spot is announced? How does a club with no hope come within a game of getting to the Setanta Cup? How does a club with no fans have a bigger average crowd than four or five other teams in the league?

Don't mind him, he's only baiting. By the way, try better than 8 league clubs and not too far away from Limerick either.

pineapple stu
04/10/2005, 7:58 PM
Yeah, I know! Had this discussion with him before somewhere else. Counting away support in the Premier is kind of cheating, but still bigger than the bottom six in the First Division (which includes two of the top three in the table).

CollegeTillIDie
05/10/2005, 7:30 AM
RedX

6,000 for a European game and only 2,500 at your next leg game. Jeez ye Cork people are fickle. Fickle fickle fickle :D

CollegeTillIDie
05/10/2005, 7:31 AM
Yeah, I know! Had this discussion with him before somewhere else. Counting away support in the Premier is kind of cheating, but still bigger than the bottom six in the First Division (which includes two of the top three in the table).

Pineapple stu

What some people don't realise is that home teams keep all the gate receipts form home games in the League. Some fans do not travel to away games at certain venues because it only "enriches" the "enemy" ;)

RedX
05/10/2005, 7:15 PM
RedX

6,000 for a European game and only 2,500 at your next leg game. Jeez ye Cork people are fickle. Fickle fickle fickle :D

There was a problem with the turnstiles that night..3,500 got locked out because of this and they had to return home..i swear this is the truth...:D

Éanna
10/10/2005, 12:50 PM
don't you mean recontamination?