PDA

View Full Version : Shamrock Rovers 4-2 Longford Town

Maz
01/10/2005, 1:16 PM
Many of you go to the game? Were we really that bad?

Taken from
http://www.eleven-a-side.com

Rovers fight back to claim vital win

September 30, 2005

Shamrock Rovers 4-2 Longford Town
Shamrock Rovers came from a goal down with 20 minutes remaining to take a crucial three points against Longford Town on Friday night, with experienced front man Trevor Molloy central to the Hoops win.

With five points separating four sides at the foot of the table going into the weekend, Rovers knew they needed to claim a few wins to keep their heads above water.

They took the lead midway through the first half through Molloy, but Longford were level within five minutes through Dave Mooney.

Mooney, former Rovers favourite who left the Hoops for Longford on deadline day, looked like being the headline-maker on the night when he put the midlanders in front seven minutes after half-time from Paul Keegan’s cutback.

Going into the last 20 minutes, and bottom two Waterford United and Finn Harps looking like picking up points elsewhere on the night, Rovers looked set to go down to a damaging defeat.

But Molloy crossed for Will McDonagh to level with a header past Shay Kelly on 71 minutes, and the Hoops were in front within three minutes through young striker Lee Roche, with Molloy again the creative force.

Barry Murphy’s stunning save from Alan Cawley’s piledriver kept Rovers in front, and the points were in safekeeping when Roche crossed for Mark Quigley to fire Rovers’ fourth in injury time.

dfx-
01/10/2005, 6:14 PM
Were we really that bad?

In my opinion, yes. I would only put Waterford when they came to Dalymount as a worse team on the night....:)

Martinho II
03/10/2005, 3:08 PM
we were an absolute disgrace on the nite! there is no communciation between seamus kelly and his defence! gough had a terrible game, cronin did nothing in midfield, the only players to play well were keego and mooney!

it was looking good for us at two one- mooneys second goal was top class, his first one was made by keegos shot coming back off the post, poor atmosphere at the game not much of a travellin support that should be normally be there.

i am afraid fourth spot is gone- barry ferguson is such a loss, Seamus Kelly is not the answer to replace Digger I wouldnt mind getting Shamrock Rovers goalie -a name of the future.:mad:

sorbothegreek
05/10/2005, 1:16 PM
I hear 'martin-ho', you got a mention in the match program to boot, for 'not talking sense'! where ever did they come up with a notion like that?

Maz
05/10/2005, 1:18 PM
I hear 'martin-ho', you got a mention in the match program to boot, for 'not talking sense'! where ever did they come up with a notion like that?
They dont know him atal! Not talking sense? Rubbish

RockofGibraltar
05/10/2005, 2:32 PM
Is barry definitely goin then?

NY Hoop
05/10/2005, 3:15 PM
In my opinion, yes. I would only put Waterford when they came to Dalymount as a worse team on the night....:)

A very sweet victory considering the crap we've had to put up with from their officials. Judas got the lot as well:D

KOH

RockofGibraltar
06/10/2005, 9:41 AM
A very sweet victory considering the crap we've had to put up with from their officials. Judas got the lot as well:D

KOH

which judas would u be talkin about now? i presume ur not talkin about steven gough or dave mooney, seeing as shamrock rovers told them they could no longer pay them and that they had to find another club. You must be talkin about some other player are u NY Hoop?

NY Hoop
07/10/2005, 1:17 PM
which judas would u be talkin about now? i presume ur not talkin about steven gough or dave mooney, seeing as shamrock rovers told them they could no longer pay them and that they had to find another club. You must be talkin about some other player are u NY Hoop?

Mooney. He was brought throught the ranks from schoolboy through to the reserves and then the first team. 6 years in total at the club. Kissing the crest when he scored etc. He was getting paid a certain amount, on time every week. He was NEVER told he would not be paid. For the millionth time ALL our players have been paid in full on time every week since the fans took over.

He jumped ship at the last minute for not much more money with you lot. Claims it wasnt his choice which has been confirmed as untrue. Claims he's always been a Rovers fan. So he is a judas.

Honestly dont think we'll miss Gough!

KOH

NY Hoop
07/10/2005, 2:57 PM
We're not whining. Merely pointing out why we're calling him Judas. Not as if we lost Ronaldinho!

Mooney is not from the country though. It's up to the rural clubs to put proper infrastructure in place to keep the talented youngsters there. On the other hand if a club from the capital comes in with more money. Not us though!

The fans had taken over before Mooney moved.

KOH

Wiseguy
07/10/2005, 3:53 PM
The way i see it is that players come and go and that's it but the club will always remain.No player is bigger than the club and that's the bottom line.Maybe Dave Mooney seen his future as being a brighter one with LTFC and i'm glad he has arrived but it's one thing calling someone a Judas it's another thing personally abusing.Although the Fans now own Rovers they still face the same difficulties others have faced.Money needs to be raised to pay the bills no matter who's in charge and if Rovers have to pay very low wages and dice with relegation for a few seasons it's not going to attract the big names so the circle continues.Any up and coming talent you have will be poached by the so called bigger clubs like Shels who can offer them a chance to challenge for trophies and Euro football and so on.Then they arrive at Shels and play a bit part every now and then.anyhow i am getting side tracked so back to my point.You can't be to surprised that he was one of many to jump ship given the uncertainty that has surrounded Rovers for so long.