PDA

View Full Version : In order to qualify

Colbert Report
30/09/2005, 12:04 PM
Tell me if I have this straight. Assuming that France will beat Cyprus and Israel will beat the Faroes, we have to beat Cyprus, hope that France beats Switzerland, and then beat Switzerland ourselves. Then win the playoff. Correct?

Cowboy
30/09/2005, 12:10 PM
http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=29292

OwlsFan
30/09/2005, 12:48 PM
Tell me if I have this straight. Assuming that France will beat Cyprus and Israel will beat the Faroes, we have to beat Cyprus, hope that France beats Switzerland, and then beat Switzerland ourselves. Then win the playoff. Correct?

Israel are irrelevant to us assuming we win the last 2 games.

If Swiss beat France we'll all be on the same points and we'd go through as winners of the group if we beat the Swiss by more than they beat the French.

If Swiss beat France by 1 goal and we beat Swiss by one goal, we'll probably go out as a result of inferior goal difference against other sides as goal difference in games between France/Swiss/Ireland will be the same.

If France draw or beat Switzerland then we get runners up spot if we beat the Swiss.

Alles klar ?

Could be all irrelevant of course if we don't beat Cyprus

Schumi
30/09/2005, 1:09 PM
If Swiss beat France by 1 goal and we beat Swiss by one goal, we'll probably go out as a result of inferior goal difference against other sides as goal difference in games between France/Swiss/Ireland will be the same.
Incorrect. If that happens, it goes down to goals scored in games between top three. If Swiss beat France 1-0, and we beat Swiss by 1 goal, we finish second. The only way we go out after winning both games is a score like 2-1 or 3-2 between France and Swiss.

Tipp Townie
30/09/2005, 1:11 PM

I have read the other thread, but i dont think this got covered on it..

If the '1-0 and 1-0' scenario happens, dont France end up top by dint of scoring awway from home (and winning) in Dublin, with us second coz of Clinton's goal in Basel? The swiss, on the other hand, will have not scored away from home?:confused:

Schumi
30/09/2005, 1:21 PM
If the '1-0 and 1-0' scenario happens, dont France end up top by dint of scoring awway from home (and winning) in Dublin, with us second coz of Clinton's goal in Basel? The swiss, on the other hand, will have not scored away from home?:confused:No. Read my post above. It comes down to goals scored and France go out.

paul_oshea
30/09/2005, 1:23 PM
doh didnt take into account score away against swiss.

Schumi
30/09/2005, 3:10 PM
Not necessarily - we finish at least second, but could also finish first... If we beat Cyprus by 5 or moreTrue but I can't see that happening.

Yes, but even if such a score does happen in the Swiss-French game, we can still win the group if we beat the Swiss by twoOr that!

dr_peepee
30/09/2005, 3:13 PM
So let me get this straight..... The cops knew Internal Affairs were crooked the whole time??

tetsujin1979
30/09/2005, 3:33 PM
So let me get this straight..... The cops knew Internal Affairs were crooked the whole time??
No, it turns out the secret password was the nursery rhyme he used to sing to his daughter as a child ;)

tricky_colour
30/09/2005, 7:11 PM
If there a lot of Irish in green setting off for Germany next year then
we have probably qualified. Keep an eye on the Ferries and Airports for
clues.

Colbert Report
01/10/2005, 4:20 PM
Is there any way we can qualify without winning both remaining matches?

Marked Man
01/10/2005, 4:33 PM
If France descends into violent ethnic conflict, and are barred from the competition as a result, then we could go through without winning both games.

shakermaker1982
02/10/2005, 10:23 AM
I'd be glad with 2nd place at the moment. We just have to win bot games. Let's hope they don't take their eye off the ball. I can't take another macedonia :(

Stuttgart88
03/10/2005, 9:55 AM
The mods should have put up total football's definitive post on this from a few weeks ago up as a sticky until the Cyprus game is over. Would have saved everyone's time.

Personally I think we'll beat Cyprus 6-2. Switzerland will beat France 1-0 & we'll beat the Swiss 1-0.

totalfootball - what happens then? :)

Stuttgart88
03/10/2005, 11:04 AM
Oops - you sure?

I thought that we would both finish exactly equal in the mini-group (pts, GD & GS), and exactly equal in the subsequent categories (GD +11, Goals For 18). I thought it was then a play-off at a neutral venue.

Anyway, this is just mathematical tomfoolery anyway - I just thought I'd throw it out there as a (remote) possibility.

elroy
03/10/2005, 2:31 PM
Im usually a very optimist supporter but I think we have to be realistic here. First place for us went out the window when Henry scored in Lansdowne. So we are playing for second spot, we should beat Cyprus as will France. Israel will beat the Faroes. Therefore it comes down to the two Swiss games, I would be surprised if the Swiss won, even with the possibility of France being without ZZ and Henry.
I think the best case scenario for us is a draw or a French win in the Swiss game then the Swiss must win here to qualify, which would make the game more open and imo increase of chances of getting the win we need.
If by some chance the Swiss beat France that means we will more than likely have to win by two goals against the Swiss and to be honest I just dont see that happening.
Second spot is there and should be taken.