PDA

View Full Version : Did Phil Babb ever play under-age football for either England or Ireland?

Krstic
30/09/2005, 10:22 AM
Can anyone tell me if Phil Babb ever played any under-age football for either England or Ireland???

Cheers:ball:

finlma
30/09/2005, 10:26 AM
Any chance of making your Thread title's more intuitve so people know what its about??

In response to the question I'm almost sure that he didn't play under age football at international level but I could be wrong.

Krstic
30/09/2005, 10:56 AM
Any chance of making your Thread title's more intuitve so people know what its about??

No, but thanks for your response;)

dahamsta
30/09/2005, 11:16 AM
Thread title edited. Please don't use such a stupid title again.

Krstic
30/09/2005, 12:43 PM
Jaysus, ye's are a bit touchy boys, I required an answer to a question, asked a question, but cannot get a simple answer without first being told off like a silly school boy.

I do apologise for wasting your oh so important inter-web browsing good for nowt time.:eek:

Now can anyone please tell me if Babb played any under-age footy.

Thanks

Cosmo
30/09/2005, 12:47 PM
Now can anyone please tell me if Babb played any under-age footy.

Did he ever play football :confused: :D

OwlsFan
30/09/2005, 12:55 PM
Babb never played for us at underage level as he only declared for us when he was past that age. Also in those days if you had played underage for another country you were disbarred for playing for another country so he won't have played for England either I suspect.

Krstic
30/09/2005, 1:01 PM
Babb never played for us at underage level as he only declared for us when he was past that age. Also in those days if you had played underage for another country you were disbarred for playing for another country so he won't have played for England either I suspect.

Cheers just won me a pint buddy:D

Dodge
30/09/2005, 1:02 PM
He never played ANY underage football for any country.

(although at age 16 he was profiled in a Millwall programme and siad he wanted to become Ireland's highest capped player)

Tipp Townie
30/09/2005, 1:05 PM
Yeah, i think Babb always wanted to play for Ireland. My uncle was one of the coaches for his jjunior/youth team i think, and him and his mates were always jeeing Babb up to make sure Ireland was his first priority!

Donal81
30/09/2005, 1:20 PM
What happened the bloke........He used to be so up for it, completely lost all motivation.

lopez
30/09/2005, 2:44 PM
What happened the bloke........He used to be so up for it, completely lost all motivation.Could be wrong but I think he met with these two geezers called Jack and Charlie. Certainly liked to see the sun rising. Known during his Sporting Lisbon days as Phill 'Beb' for his like of the gargle.

Donal81
30/09/2005, 3:34 PM
Could be wrong but I think he met with these two geezers called Jack and Charlie. Certainly liked to see the sun rising. Known during his Sporting Lisbon days as Phill 'Beb' for his like of the gargle.

I used to read about him a bit, how decent he was, he did a load of work for the Irish Times prior to USA 94, did it all for free as well, used to be serious about his career and playing for Ireland. Ah well. Wasn't he tipped very early on as the next captain and everything?

Glapots
30/09/2005, 3:58 PM
What's he up to now? Also out of curiosity what was the original title of this post?

dahamsta
30/09/2005, 4:40 PM
Something wonderfully intuitive, like "a question". The OP doesn't seem to get that if all threads were titled like that, the forum would be next to useless. It would appear they don't give a toss about anyone but themself.

The Stars
02/10/2005, 9:44 AM
Also in those days if you had played underage for another country you were disbarred for playing for another country so he won't have played for England either I suspect.
Not true OwlsFan.Ryan Giggs played under age for England but then declared himself to play for Wales.Thats why the English used to always say 'if he played for England' their left side of midfield wouldnt be such a problem position.

eirebhoy
02/10/2005, 12:07 PM
Not true OwlsFan.Ryan Giggs played under age for England but then declared himself to play for Wales.Thats why the English used to always say 'if he played for England' their left side of midfield wouldnt be such a problem position.
I don't think Giggs played underage football for England. He played for their schools I think.

lopez
02/10/2005, 3:22 PM
I don't think Giggs played underage football for England. He played for their schools I think.Exactly. Schools are different. They are regarded as a representative side regardless of nationality, like say Universities. Giggs went to an English school and like some of us he never had a choice on the matter. Ryan Giggs never played for England at any other level.

Plastic Paddy
02/10/2005, 5:02 PM
'Tis true. I was invited for trials with East of England Schools and told by my coach at the time that if I was successful I'd have every chance of playing for England Schools. He had his work cut out convincing me that this didn't mean I'd have to relinquish my dream of leading the line for Ireland, learn GSTQ by rote and bang on endlessly about 1966 and all that. :eek: :D

:ball: PP

Stuttgart88
03/10/2005, 9:48 AM
Plastic paddy with 3 Lions on his shirt. Now that would have been a good photo.

Babb made his first "appearance" for Ireland in some weird friendly or even testimonial against Hungary I think. Everyone except me thought he was much that day. I thought he was OK.

holteender
03/10/2005, 1:08 PM
Plastic paddy with 3 Lions on his shirt. Now that would have been a good photo.

Babb made his first "appearance" for Ireland in some weird friendly or even testimonial against Hungary I think. Everyone except me thought he was much that day. I thought he was OK.

Wasnt it O'Learys testimonial against Hungary?

Stuttgart88
03/10/2005, 1:09 PM
Yeah, that sounds right.

TheJamaicanP.M.
03/10/2005, 2:52 PM
Wasnt it O'Learys testimonial against Hungary?

Yeah, Phil Babb and Phil Hardy both played against Hungary that day. Think it was May 1993. Babb made his full debut against Russia the following year if my memory serves me correct. He hit the crossbar from a corner.:D

macdermesser
04/10/2005, 7:28 AM
Sadly, my lasting memory of Phil Babb is of his performance against Scotland at Lansdowne in his last game .. awful. Played well enough in World Cup 94 .. though .. not a patch on Mc Grath though... goes without saying

Junior
04/10/2005, 8:39 AM
Thats right, USA94 was the making (or possible breaking of him) he had 3 or 4 excellent games at the heart of defence (and who wouldn't , playing beside GOD himself?) Was also playing well for Coventry at the time..........may be he believed the hype, but it seemed to go downhill from there??

tetsujin1979
04/10/2005, 8:57 AM
Sadly, my lasting memory of Phil Babb is of his performance against Scotland at Lansdowne in his last game .. awful. Played well enough in World Cup 94 .. though .. not a patch on Mc Grath though... goes without saying
Wasn't the 4-2 loss away to Russia his last game?

Junior
04/10/2005, 10:29 AM
Wasn't the 4-2 loss away to Russia his last game?

think you could be right? was he brought on as a sub? didn't he score an og?

Stuttgart88
04/10/2005, 10:45 AM
think you could be right? was he brought on as a sub? didn't he score an og?
Yes, though it was a bit unlucky. Mick went 3-5-2 for the last few minutes, they broke, Given saved it but the rebound went in off Babb. Up until that moment I still felt we'd get a draw. If they hadn't made it 3-1 as soon as we'd just scored I think we'd have done it.

tetsujin1979
04/10/2005, 10:46 AM
Yes, though it was a bit unlucky. Mick went 3-5-2 for the last few minutes, they broke, Given saved it but the rebound went in off Babb. Up until that moment I still felt we'd get a draw. If they hadn't made it 3-1 as soon as we'd just scored I think we'd have done it.
A lot of people gave him unjust grief for the final goal, it was just the worst luck.

CollegeTillIDie
04/10/2005, 5:27 PM
tetsujin1979

I was in Moscow and thought Phil was unfairly hung out to dry in some quarters over that goal. At least he tried to keep the damn thing out of the net.

youngirish
04/10/2005, 5:40 PM
Ah Ronaldo Babb as me and the lads used to call him. He was never quite sure if he was a defender or a world class deep sitting striker. Anyone remember his overhead kick from 20 yards against the Czech Republic a few years ago? Just went over the bar. Only a few players in the world at the time could have performed such a feat - Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Zidane, Figo and Phil Babb.

CollegeTillIDie
04/10/2005, 6:33 PM
Ah Ronaldo Babb as me and the lads used to call him. He was never quite sure if he was a defender or a world class deep sitting striker. Anyone remember his overhead kick from 20 yards against the Czech Republic a few years ago? Just went over the bar. Only a few players in the world at the time could have performed such a feat - Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Zidane, Figo and Phil Babb.

Surely you mean Filipo InBabbi ? :D

The Stars
04/10/2005, 6:36 PM
Right so lads,got that one wrong..i hold my hands up.