PDA

View Full Version : Snazzy changes on Foot.ie

Pages : [1] 2

joeSoap
30/09/2005, 8:22 AM
Last nite I went to log on, but couldn't due to 'essential maintenance'. Now I see the end result, with a few subtle but snazzy changes made.....the ones I've spotted thus far are the timing of the posts, and the editing options.

Are there more?? The mind boggles...............;) :D

gustavo
30/09/2005, 8:46 AM
theres a few nice changes for mods making it easier to mod a forum also the quick reply feature has been jazzed up a little!

thejollyrodger
30/09/2005, 8:52 AM
yeah, foot.ie looks a wee bit different alright but im not exactly sure on what the changes are..

RĂ©iteoir
30/09/2005, 9:12 AM
is there any way of displaying post times in the old format.

I don't like the new one - bit too vague

Dodge
30/09/2005, 9:25 AM

Agree with that.

drinkfeckarse
30/09/2005, 9:57 AM
Me too. Like the rest though.

Poor Student
30/09/2005, 10:18 AM
The board seems to have slowed down for me since the changes.

thejollyrodger
30/09/2005, 10:23 AM
and there is thousands of posts displayed when you click on new posts even though you were here yesterday

Dodge
30/09/2005, 10:48 AM
and there is thousands of posts displayed when you click on new posts even though you were here yesterday
A line comes us saying something like the belwo after the new ones

"The below threads have not been posted in since your last visit but contain unread posts"

dahamsta
30/09/2005, 10:50 AM
is there any way of displaying post times in the old format.Some things need to be given time to grow on you. If it still bugging you in a week or two come back and ask again, however I don't want to make changes based on a few hours worth of review.

The board seems to have slowed down for me since the changes.The server's been reindexing posts for most of the night, however it's nearly finished now. I can't really make a judgement on this until the reindexing is done and the site is running normally.

and there is thousands of posts displayed when you click on new posts even though you were here yesterdayThis is an important one: I've set the boards up to use the database to track reads, instead of the existing cookie/timeout-based setup. The advantage here is that it can track your reads 100% accurately, however the changeover means that pretty much everthing is marked as unread. What I'd suggest is that you reset the read system by marking everything read (http://foot.ie/forumdisplay.php?do=markread).

adam

dahamsta
30/09/2005, 11:27 AM
Right, indexing is finally finished, so if there are any problems with performance now they'll definitely be related to the upgrade and should be reported here.

(I wouldn't mind, but I'll have to run that effing index again over the weekend.)

Thanks,
adam

thejollyrodger
30/09/2005, 11:42 AM
What I'd suggest is that you reset the read system by marking everything read.
Fantastic

sligoman
30/09/2005, 12:37 PM
Are there more?? The mind boggles...............;) :DYou cant see who moderates each forum anymore and on the who's online feature it doesn't go in alphabetical order anymore either;)

Schumi
30/09/2005, 12:44 PM

Agree with this too. Might grow on me though maybe.

Poor Student
30/09/2005, 1:16 PM
Speed is still sluggish for me Adam.:confused:

dahamsta
30/09/2005, 1:19 PM
You cant see who moderates each forum anymoreI disabled this because I didn't think it was important. Is it?

and on the who's online feature it doesn't go in alphabetical order anymore either;)I did this for performance reasons, I'll put it back the other way if the forum settles down and there doesn't appear to be any problems.

Poor Student, could you try clearing your cache? Could just be a javascript conflict causing client-side problems. It's running pretty quick for me anyway.

adam

Lionel Ritchie
30/09/2005, 1:41 PM
Right, indexing is finally finished, so if there are any problems with performance now they'll definitely be related to the upgrade and should be reported here.

(I wouldn't mind, but I'll have to run that effing index again over the weekend.)

Thanks,
adam

Still very slow at this end Adam. Just reporting it for the sake of letting you know.

dahamsta
30/09/2005, 1:45 PM
I'm finding it quite fast myself tbh. Can I ask what kind of spec computer and internet connection you guys having trouble are using?

adam

sligoman
30/09/2005, 1:46 PM
I disabled this because I didn't think it was important. Is it?Nope, just saying some other changes I noticed;)

Lionel Ritchie
30/09/2005, 1:50 PM
I'm finding it quite fast myself tbh. Can I ask what kind of spec computer and internet connection you guys having trouble are using?

adam

just checked back and it's fine now. I'm on a highspeed at work. I checked a couple of other sights I was on before posting and they were faster but this is sweet now. nice.

dahamsta
30/09/2005, 1:52 PM
Excellent. If anyone else is having troubles please let me know, I can't fix things if I don't know they're broken! Feedback feedback feedback!

Poor Student
30/09/2005, 2:05 PM
Poor Student, could you try clearing your cache? Could just be a javascript conflict causing client-side problems. It's running pretty quick for me anyway.

adam

Could you dumb it down a tone?;)

dahamsta
30/09/2005, 2:24 PM
Could you dumb it down a tone?;)See here for insuctions:

http://is.asu.edu/instruction/training/clearcache.html

drinkfeckarse
30/09/2005, 2:44 PM
the who's online feature it doesn't go in alphabetical order anymore either;)

Could that be changed back? Also, I thought the "receipt" message for PM's was fairly handy too, can we have that back pretty please??

sligoman
30/09/2005, 2:50 PM
Also, I thought the "receipt" message for PM's was fairly handy too, can we have that back pretty please??It's there, ya just have to check the box to get it first;)

drinkfeckarse
30/09/2005, 3:00 PM
It's there, ya just have to check the box to get it first;)

:o thanks sligoman :o

John83
30/09/2005, 6:10 PM
Was getting sluggish response earlier. It seems fine now.

pete
03/10/2005, 11:48 AM
I don't like the "new posts today" as means when drop in here serval times on some days will still get pages of old threads displayed :(

joeSoap
03/10/2005, 2:07 PM
I just added a link to a post, and noticed that it does not give you the option t name the link any more, and just displays the whole thing. I preferred it when you could rename the link to for example "see here" instead of the whole www. thing.

dahamsta
03/10/2005, 2:14 PM
I don't like the "new posts today" as means when drop in here serval times on some days will still get pages of old threads displayed :(Use New Posts instead?

I just added a link to a post, and noticed that it does not give you the option t name the link any more, and just displays the whole thing.Highlight the text you want to link, then click the Link button.

joeSoap
03/10/2005, 2:21 PM
Highlight the text you want to link, then click the Link button.When I click the link button, it asks for the url straight away. When you put that in and enter it you are given no more options. I tried it just now in a thread I strarted about the homeless in off topic, and it wouldn't work either.

I must be doing something wrong.

pete
03/10/2005, 2:25 PM
Just figured it out now.
1. Click URL link
2. Past URL address.
3. Ita utomatically adds the address as title so just edit the highlighted text

stuff here (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?p=361454#post361454)

I see new posts now too.

joeSoap
03/10/2005, 2:36 PM
got it now...:o

dahamsta
03/10/2005, 3:04 PM
When you put that in and enter it you are given no more options.You don't need another option, the highlighted text is linked automatically.

sligoman
03/10/2005, 4:05 PM
The main thing that I dont like about the new set up is the time. 1 hour ago, 1 week ago, they're just too vague in my opinion:o

pete
03/10/2005, 4:13 PM
I am now using "New Post" but it spews back more pages of threads than "Todays New Posts"

:confused:

dahamsta
03/10/2005, 4:21 PM
Does this not explain it pete?

The threads below have not been updated since your last visit but still contain unread posts.

Patrick Dunne
04/10/2005, 10:38 AM
How do you edit old posts ?
(Posted before recent changes)

PD.

dahamsta
04/10/2005, 12:50 PM
You don't. The edit limit is 24 hours.

Aberdonian Stu
05/10/2005, 1:38 PM
Is there no way to set the time back to the normal way. The new system is rather irritating.

dahamsta
05/10/2005, 1:43 PM
There is a way, but I already said I was letting it run this way for a while.

pete
05/10/2005, 1:47 PM
Does this not explain it pete?

Thats fine but i skipped those threads for a reason before so still have no interest in reading it.

Can you just change my profile back to old way & others can just suffer? ;)

Do we need a poll? :D

Schumi
05/10/2005, 1:49 PM
Just hit Mark Forums Read before you log out and all the crap threads will be gone the next time you log in.

dahamsta
05/10/2005, 2:15 PM
Thats fine but i skipped those threads for a reason before so still have no interest in reading it.What's to read? You just ignore everything before that line, nobody's forcing you to click on them.

superfrank
05/10/2005, 3:32 PM
What's the deal with the new "insert link" format??

pete
05/10/2005, 4:41 PM
Just hit Mark Forums Read before you log out and all the crap threads will be gone the next time you log in.

That fixes it.

A face
06/10/2005, 10:26 PM
What's the deal with the new "insert link" format??

Have a look here !! (http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=361470&postcount=32)

superfrank
07/10/2005, 3:47 PM
Have a look here !! (http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=361470&postcount=32)
I'd figured it out but thanks anyway. ;)

drinkfeckarse
10/10/2005, 2:07 PM
Some things need to be given time to grow on you. If it still bugging you in a week or two come back and ask again, however I don't want to make changes based on a few hours worth of review.

Well a week has gone by now and I still prefer the old way the posts were dated.:)

dahamsta
10/10/2005, 2:09 PM
Well, I've had 3 complaints from 2,500 users...