PDA

View Full Version : Television Coverage

EnDai
29/09/2005, 7:33 PM
Well, I know we're all grateful for the fact that we've at least got some coverage of our teams, but is anyone else appauled by the lack of research RTE put into their coverage tonight?

Commentary quotes I can recall:

Cork of course had a good 3-1 victory over Shels in the cup the other night

Cork should be proud of at least reaching the last round before the group stages, which no Irish club has ever done before, and which Shelbourne did 2 years ago

Nonsense!! I'm sure there's more, but they are the ones I can recall.

gael353
29/09/2005, 10:29 PM
He was the problem with it. A cork commentator doing a cork team. All basketball and hurling lingo used throughout.
Bigget excuse for cork tonight.......!well Slavia were founded way back in 188? cork on the other hand are only a youngster! only founded in 1984 so you see what their up against!" FFS

Derick Coughlan being introduced.....Morley "lots of more long balls and going to go up now with a few elbows too"
Jerk "ho ho, im looking forward to it!" :o
Jerk and Morley "ho ho ahhh" :rolleyes:

Peadar
30/09/2005, 7:51 AM
Nonsense!! I'm sure there's more, but they are the ones I can recall.

Cork City were the first Irish team to "qualify" for the 1st Round Proper. Shels got there by default after being knocked out of the Champions League Qualifiers.
By the way, is anyone showing the Shels game tonight?

Roverstillidie
30/09/2005, 8:04 AM
agree, morley came out with a priceless nugget of ignorance
"city fans have always, and will always follow their team in droves"

hahahahaha

Jaime
Don't think there's a live game on tonight.

EnDai
Perhaps, but he said reaching as far as I can remember, and then contradicted it in the same senetence, with incorrect facts! ;)

No, the Derry/Cork game isn't on TV, shame as it should be an absolute cracker! Really looking forward to it! :)

Actually, thinking back to last night again, I love how they seemed to be justifying Fenn's (Was it him?) swipe at the Czech lad even after they'd thought he'd badly broken his nose! Said something about it being revenge or payback or something, came across really amature.

Jaime
30/09/2005, 8:09 AM
Apparently Canning "likes his pint" and comes into work every single day hungover to do his research. :)

mandrake
30/09/2005, 8:15 AM
lads , stop over reacting....he was just filling in time....cork city was formed in 1984, so whats the problem.
i think it was a commentator that does premiership...
i think we as el fans know more about our club than others and i think commentators do a little research and thats it...
in fact sometimes its hard to find out facts about clubs...remember premiership and football league as it used to be is more intersting and has a more documented history.
and as for 'cork fans always follow in droves' well how many times have corkies said ther was 100,000+ in turnersX blah blah, and arent we great fans, better than $hels rovers blah blah
2nd half was good.....

Red4Eva
30/09/2005, 9:27 AM
i really don't like ger canning

thejollyrodger
30/09/2005, 9:49 AM
i hate that fella who was doing the RTE coverage for corks game last night. he sounds so goofy and football illerate.

rebs23
30/09/2005, 9:52 AM
In fairness RTE did a good job overall with their coverage except Canning.

Peadar
30/09/2005, 10:05 AM
why couldnt rte put the cameras on the other side of the ground faceing the better stand

The TV gantry is in the main stand but I don't see why the pitch side cameras couldn't have been on the Derrynane side, facing the St. Annes end and Donie Forde stand.

pete
30/09/2005, 11:03 AM
RTE had only 4 cameras at last nights game which is the bare minimum required for a football match. I seem to remember 6 cameras at the Setanta Cup. I think its a mistake to have Roddy as pou dit on his own as he is far too negative.

ollie
30/09/2005, 12:53 PM
surly it wouldnt take much to put a tv gantry on top of the small stand faceing the main one,
would look much better on the tv.

i'd say maybe one the main reasons for that IMO is that there is a better view from the DF because the roof only covers the top half of the stand so the camera can show the ball if it was on the near touchline(due to the space between the gantry and the sideline).if the camera was on the other side it would be very difficult to do the same as the roof almost goes as far as the touchline.
i remeber they used to have the camera on the Derrynane side years ago but that was before the roof and seats came in and had to take up some of the spectators space as well which in effect reduced the capacity.

Troy.McClure
30/09/2005, 1:19 PM
The TV gantry is in the main stand but I don't see why the pitch side cameras couldn't have been on the Derrynane side, facing the St. Annes end and Donie Forde stand.

Personally I think there should be cameras on both sides. The cameras facing the DF (main stand) makes the ground look better, but there is a better camera view from the current gantry. I see no reason why camera stands shouldnt be built in the middle of each half on top of the Derrynane stand, they would be great for goal mouth action. It makes no sence having 2 cameras right next to eachother on the DF stand

sullanefc
30/09/2005, 7:15 PM
It makes no sence having 2 cameras right next to eachother on the DF stand

I'd imagine one is for close ups and one is for a wider view :cool:

harry crumb
01/10/2005, 5:39 PM
For some reason the match on TV did not give the atmosphere of the crowd at all. Where did they have the mics.

So I put on RTE radio instead which was much more lively both in terms of commentary and crowd atmophere.

Plus Gabriel Egan is a soccer commentater while Ger is a mongrel.

Stevo Da Gull
01/10/2005, 11:26 PM
Kinda off the topic but I reckon that TG4 do a gret job, Derry-V- Shamrock R was very well done with some good stuff before hand (not sure if this has been mentioned before). And of course it's always good to hear the Gaeilge :)

Thought the RTE coverage of the Cork-Slavia home leg was grand but I did'nt watch the post match analysis, was'nt in the mood to listen to Roddy.

TonyD
02/10/2005, 10:05 PM
Plus Gabriel Egan is a soccer commentater while Ger is a mongrel.

Definitely got the impression that FOOTBALL isn't Ger Cannings number one game. How many times did he refer to a "Throw Ball" :rolleyes:

NY Hoop
03/10/2005, 11:43 AM
surly it wouldnt take much to put a tv gantry on top of the small stand faceing the main one,
would look much better on the tv.

Exactly. Bit off topic but Derry, Sligo and Waterford have the same problem. Cameras should always FACE the main stand. EL is a product, sell it by showing the best parts.

Having said that there were no cameras at our game against longford friday:mad: REALLY wanted to see that tonight as it was very sweet beating the Euro failures.............

KOH