duties with a coaching role.

However, in a live MUTV phone-in, Keane
has rejected any likelihood of moving
straight onto Alex Ferguson's backroom
staff.

'I would like to play another year or
two but I do not think it will be at
Manchester United,' he said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2/2

Soccer News
KEANE REVEALS UNITED EXIT PLANS
Keane believes it will be the end of
the season before United decide whether
to offer him a new deal, by which time
it will be too late.

'I would be surprised if I was offered
a new contract and even if I was, I
would not expect it to be until the end
of the season but by then I will have
already made a decision about what I am
going to do,' he said.

'There comes a time for everybody when
they have to move on and I am prepared
to play elsewhere.'

'I think it will be good to experience
a different dressing room.'

From Aertel

sligoman
29/09/2005, 6:59 PM
He'll probably do what Denis Irwin did, go to a sh!t team for a season or two and then just fade away. United making a big mistake if they do let him go though, even though he's getting old, he's still a top player ;)

thejollyrodger
29/09/2005, 7:01 PM
he always said he was going to leave. i dont see where the surprise is coming from :s

John83
29/09/2005, 7:04 PM
He'll probably do what Denis Irwin did, go to a sh!t team for a season or two and then just fade away. United making a big mistake if they do let him go though, even though he's getting old, he's still a top player ;)
They're overdependant on him - an injury-prone, ageing, fading player. It'd be healthier in the long run for the team to cut him loose.

sligoman
29/09/2005, 7:28 PM
It'd be healthier in the long run for the team to cut him loose.Dont agree with that. If he goes then they have no real leader in the team.

thejollyrodger
29/09/2005, 7:48 PM
At the end of the day, Roy Keane is just one player. You cant build your team around a player who is old and injury prone all the time. Its holding the likes of Rooney back, playing other players out of formation.

Time to go IMO. A big clear out is needed at Man Utd. Maybe Fergie should call it a day as well.

holidaysong
29/09/2005, 10:59 PM
Back to Cobh Ramblers for a season? :eek: ;)

drinkfeckarse
30/09/2005, 7:55 AM
It's no secret that he'd like to play at Celtic and I think that is a likely option. Lennon will be away at the end of the season and it would be great to get someone like Keane who is a much better and more mobile player to replace him.

Roverstillidie
30/09/2005, 8:06 AM
or it could be contract negotiaion posturing?

Don Vito
30/09/2005, 8:07 AM
I think he's just pushing for negotiation to get started on a new deal for him. Remember when he was talking about leaving before. I reckon he'll sign a new one year deal in January.

Don Vito
30/09/2005, 8:10 AM
Feck ye RoverstillIdie! Got in there just before me!

John83
30/09/2005, 8:45 AM
Dont agree with that. If he goes then they have no real leader in the team. The alternative is to keep on playing him, on the odd weeks, when he's fit, and playing three across the middle just to make up for his old legs. Ever wonder why Scholes doesn't get into the box very often any more? Keane limits their play nearly as much as he adds to it these days. Sure, it'd be a wee loss for a season or two, but getting his replacement into the team is far better in the long run.

NeilMcD
30/09/2005, 9:22 AM
It was also in the interview that he may not call it a day at international level

zinedineontour
30/09/2005, 9:33 AM
prob best for both keane and manu if he moves on .. They need to start building a new team and keane can finish his career on a high with celtic rather than game here game there for united ..

finlma
30/09/2005, 9:47 AM
Its a long shot but I think it would be great if he came back to Ireland and played a season with Cork City. Its not like money is an issue for him and he's getting on in years. If I'm not mistaken George Best played a season for Cork towards the end of his career and so did some other high profile names with other teams - I'm struggling for examples.
It would be a great advertisment for the league too and give it a real boost.

Poor Student
30/09/2005, 10:17 AM
Yes, I think it says a lot about the Irish obsession with British football teams, that it doesn't seem to occur to our top players that they would be contributing so much more if they were to spend some of their post-peak years playing football in Ireland. I can't see what great players like Denis Irwin or Steve Staunton achieved by continuing to play in the lower leagues in England after they had retired from international football. Had they come back to Ireland for just one year, this would have given a real boost to football in Ireland, and not only would it have been good for young players in the Eircom league who got to play alongside them, but it would have been good for the footballer's status in Ireland too.

Spot on. I've always felt this myself. However Keano is a Cobh man, I'd prefer to see him go to Ramblers and pay back the club that made him.;)

Risteard
30/09/2005, 10:18 AM
Its a long shot but I think it would be great if he came back to Ireland and played a season with Cork City. Its not like money is an issue for him and he's getting on in years. If I'm not mistaken George Best played a season for Cork towards the end of his career and so did some other high profile names with other teams - I'm struggling for examples.
It would be a great advertisment for the league too and give it a real boost.
I reckon best chance of that is if he bought the club and it'd more than likely be Ramblers then.
I reckon its contract negotiation time.

Ps Ya Best was washed up by then. Must have been in his late twenties.

wallis
30/09/2005, 10:25 AM
I think that Roy will end up at Celtic for a season or drop down a division and play under a manager who is prepared to teach him that side of the game. Im not saying Celtic for any religious/Irish reason but for the fact that he would stroll into that side, still be challenging for honours and have european football as well.

I would say that its inevitable that he will become a manager and Im sure he is looking around to see who he is comfortable working with. He must have learnt a hell of a lot from 10 years with Ferguson. He doesnt strike me as someone who would be able to walk away from the game and retire at 35ish, surely he is going to want to be involved in some form or another.

Player / Manager of Ireland in the near future - what would Paddy Power offer me ?

drinkfeckarse
30/09/2005, 10:49 AM
Spot on. I've always felt this myself. However Keano is a Cobh man, I'd prefer to see him go to Ramblers and pay back the club that made him.;)

Technically, the club that made him was Rockmount but I doubt somehow that they'll be able to offer him an attractive enough package. He was only at the Ramblers for a season.

Poor Student
30/09/2005, 11:57 AM
Technically, the club that made him was Rockmount but I doubt somehow that they'll be able to offer him an attractive enough package. He was only at the Ramblers for a season.

The MSL is for when he's too old for eL.;)

holteender
30/09/2005, 12:12 PM
I read Keane's biography recently and he says in it how it was David O'Leary who introduced him to Kennedy his agent, that Kennedy has never charged him for the work he does and that it was the best move he ever made in his career. I wonder could O'Leary call in that favour and bring him to Villa Park for a year as player/coach?

Wishful thinking eh? :)

Lionel Ritchie
30/09/2005, 1:47 PM
Said it would gall him to go to another premier club -but I dunno -maybe Villa or Everton might be able to push him for one last challenge.

I reckon it'll be Portugal for a year or two myself

Clifford
30/09/2005, 2:17 PM

Get outta here would ya, a Cobh man my hole. Rockmount all the way except for one season there.

He'd not get in the Mount team at the moment though, his brother Pat and Pat Oldham would keep him out cos he's not got the stanima any more.

drinkfeckarse
30/09/2005, 2:27 PM
He'd not get in the Mount team at the moment though, his brother Pat and Pat Oldham would keep him out cos he's not got the stanima any more.

:D :D :D I'd say if he's got the energy to get through a Premiership game then he might, just might have enough to get through a MSL game!

razor
30/09/2005, 2:27 PM
He'd not get in the Mount team at the moment though, his brother Pat and Pat Oldham would keep him out cos he's not got the stanima any more.Maybe at centre half although probably not, Suppose theres always on goal. ;)

Clifford
30/09/2005, 2:34 PM
:D :D :D I'd say if he's got the energy to get through a Premiership game then he might, just might have enough to get through a MSL game!

Naw, no place for "hiders" in the MSL, a fella like him who sits in front of back four only and don't cross the half way line would never fit in.

Needs to be box to box like his brother Pat.

Clifford
30/09/2005, 2:37 PM
Maybe at centre half although probably not, Suppose theres always on goal. ;)

He'd never get in the most formidable back 5 (keeper + defenders) in Intermediate Cup history, maybe his slot would be coming off the bench to shore things up for the last 5 mins and with Jamsie in the juniors.

drinkfeckarse
30/09/2005, 2:39 PM
Clarify something here Clifford....are you being serious!?

razor
30/09/2005, 2:43 PM
He'd never get in the most formidable back 5 (keeper + defenders) in Intermediate Cup history,And barely a league medal amongst them. ;)
if Billy thought he'd get ManU tkts off him he'd play him alright :D

Clifford
30/09/2005, 2:44 PM
Clarify something here Clifford....are you being serious!?

What do you think? ;)

drinkfeckarse
30/09/2005, 2:45 PM
What do you think? ;)

I'm a bit unsure at this stage:D

Clifford
30/09/2005, 2:46 PM
And not a league medal amongst them. ;)
if Billy thought he'd get ManU tkts off him he'd play him alright :D

You sure about that? Not in the last two seasons or so and not with Mount maybe ;)

You can get in the gate in that ould place nowadays, wrong Manc club for BC I'd say anyway.

Clifford
30/09/2005, 2:51 PM
I'm a bit unsure at this stage:D

I jest indeed, he'd make the starting 11 all right, but only cos he's used to facing the long ball stuff of Bolton and Brum which would be similar to Avondale and Castleview.....:cool:

Ducks for cover while Billy's boots prepares angry retort.....:p :p

razor
30/09/2005, 2:54 PM
I jest indeed, he'd make the starting 11 all right, but only cos he's used to facing the long ball stuff of Bolton and Brum which would be similar to Avondale and CastleviewNow Now Cliffy. You'll have people thinking the MSL is like the Premiership. :D

drinkfeckarse
30/09/2005, 2:57 PM
Now Now Cliffy. You'll have people thinking the MSL is like the Premiership. :D

It was when I played in it :D

Clifford
30/09/2005, 3:01 PM
Now Now Cliffy. You'll have people thinking the MSL is like the Premiership. :D

Ha ha, any publicity is good publicity for the MSL, imagine the swell in gates if he was to come back (from the 300 who currently attend!!).

The sheep goin to OT every week would have to frequent gusty Rockmount Park at 10.30 on a Sun morn instead. A merchandising shop and Byrnsie duvets all round. I'll do the tour of the Trophy room, a minute before kick off should be fine.

Clifford
30/09/2005, 3:02 PM
It was when I played in it :D

You played in the Prem? For who? :eek:

razor
30/09/2005, 3:06 PM
The sheep goin to OT every week would have to frequent gusty Rockmount Park at 10.30 on a Sun morn instead.Rockmount Park on a wintery or summery Sunday morning is enough to test the hardiest of fans. my God its cold out there.

drinkfeckarse
30/09/2005, 3:07 PM
You played in the Prem? For who? :eek:

The Prem in the MSL, (not to be confused with the English Prem ;) ) for the mighty Rams :D

Know a few of the Mount boys from past.

Clifford
30/09/2005, 3:26 PM
The Prem in the MSL, (not to be confused with the English Prem ;) ) for the mighty Rams :D

Know a few of the Mount boys from past.

Boooo, I thought you were Ray Houghton.

drinkfeckarse
30/09/2005, 3:35 PM

:D :D :eek:

CollegeTillIDie
30/09/2005, 7:31 PM
Roy Keane bought himself a house in Cork a few years back in addition to the ones he bought for his parents and other family members. Maybe he will finally get to play for Cork City now :D

sligoman
01/10/2005, 4:24 PM
Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand has called on Roy Keane to perform a dramatic U-turn and stay on at Old Trafford.

Keane has declared his intention to leave United at the end of the season and depart the Premiership altogether.

However, Ferdinand, who was also linked with a move this summer before signing a new contract, believes the inspirational midfielder is too valuable to let go.

'I will be gutted if Roy does go because I would far rather he stayed at Old Trafford,' Ferdinand told The Sun.

'I feel that the longer he stays at United the better it is for the club. 'He is a quality player, a great leader and the best captain I've ever had.

'He's great around the place, someone to look up to and an inspiration to the youngsters coming through.

'He has done such a lot for the club that you cannot imagine him not being here.'

CollegeTillIDie
01/10/2005, 5:31 PM
Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand has called on Roy Keane to perform a dramatic U-turn and stay on at Old Trafford.

Keane has declared his intention to leave United at the end of the season and depart the Premiership altogether.

However, Ferdinand, who was also linked with a move this summer before signing a new contract, believes the inspirational midfielder is too valuable to let go.

'I will be gutted if Roy does go because I would far rather he stayed at Old Trafford,' Ferdinand told The Sun.

'I feel that the longer he stays at United the better it is for the club. 'He is a quality player, a great leader and the best captain I've ever had.

'He's great around the place, someone to look up to and an inspiration to the youngsters coming through.

'He has done such a lot for the club that you cannot imagine him not being here.'
Which actually means: " I need Keano , to cover for my mistakes, otherwise I will end up looking like a crap player ":D

Macy
03/10/2005, 9:39 AM
No, he hasn't declared himself as scottish all along now he's not playing.... :D

Macy
03/10/2005, 9:41 AM
It's time for Keano to move on - he's past his best, but unlike when he came in to replace Robbo, there's no one waiting to take his place... I'm sure he'll go on for another few years in a lesser league like Scotland or ideally over here....

Junior
03/10/2005, 2:29 PM
just looking at the article on soccer central there. http://www.soccercentral.ie/viewstory.asp?mainheading=Republic%20of%20Ireland&id=15487&viewstory=yes

Keane scored 33 goals for forest in 154 games (3 years)

He moves to united and has scored 50 goals in 12 years (not sure how many games)

For most of his career he's be renowned as a box to box player - but the goals dried up at united compared to the start of his career at Forest - anyone any views on why that was?

drinkfeckarse
03/10/2005, 3:22 PM
I think he said himself that he had to adapt due to injuries taking their toll but I'm sure Fergie also told him that he didn't want him marauding as much and wanted him to hold the midfield together. That's my view on it but I'm open to correction.

Junior
03/10/2005, 3:50 PM
I think he said himself that he had to adapt due to injuries taking their toll but I'm sure Fergie also told him that he didn't want him marauding as much and wanted him to hold the midfield together. That's my view on it but I'm open to correction.

Im sure that was the case, but what about the first 5-7 years, surely he didn't have the shackles on him then?

drinkfeckarse
03/10/2005, 3:54 PM
I think it was only the first 2 or 3 seasons at Man Utd that he was really a box to box player. They had Ince there too and I think after he left Keane reverted back to a more or less holding role. Would explain the lack of goals over the last 6-7 seasons....