PDA

View Full Version : Richardson reveals transfer clause

Pages : [1] 2

joeSoap
29/09/2005, 12:39 PM
Cork City will receive the paltry sum of €10,000 should Kevin Doyle make his senior Ireland debut versus Cyprus in nine days time.

It had been thought thatDoyle's call-up would hand the leesiders a timely financial boost ahead of tonights UEFA Cup clash with Czech side Slavia Prague.

But with the club set to take in €100,000 in gate receipts from the sell-out crowd this evening, that figure pales into comparison.

And it led to a stinging criticism from Leesiders boss Damien Richardson over the Wexford man's transfer to Reading in June.

"Cork were poorly compensated over Kevin's transfer and will be poorly compensated over Kevin's elevation to International status" said Richardson.

City received only €117,000 for the transfer-thanks to a clause inserted into Doyles Turners Cross contract.

"The club was taken advantage of" said Richardson.

The clause remained when Doyle renewed his contract last year, but that fee hardly represents his rapid progress with Reading.

joeSoap
29/09/2005, 12:40 PM
Both sides agree to a contract. Why keep moaning about something that could have been counteracted by Cork City when the contract renewal was on the table.??

GavinZac
29/09/2005, 12:53 PM
Both sides agree to a contract. Why keep moaning about something that could have been counteracted by Cork City when the contract renewal was on the table.??

rico wasnt involved

drinkfeckarse
29/09/2005, 12:54 PM
That is a paltry amount alright to receive if/when he gets capped. Have to agree with the above though, City shouldn't have been naive enough to not negotiate a better deal.

joeSoap
29/09/2005, 1:08 PM
rico wasnt involvedRico wasn't involved with the club when the contract was renewed, so basically its none of his business.

What if Kevin Doyle turned out to be a flop at Reading?? Bet you'd be delighted with your €117k then.

Brian Lennox should have sought wiser counsel than he did in re-negotiating his deal. Thats where the blame lies, not with Pat Dolan, Kevin Doyle or anybody else.

A face
29/09/2005, 1:19 PM
Thats where the blame lies, not with Pat Dolan, Kevin Doyle or anybody else.

I think the majority of City fans, in the cold light of day, know exactly where the blame lies .. There is most definitely no doubt about i can tell you that.

We you are preached something time after time, like a rhetoric or mantra and then to witness the opposite in practice, it become all so clear.

I dont want to keep having to say this all the time, i'd rather it was left lie to be completely honest, but in saying that ..... be left in no doubt what so ever how most people feel about certain parties involvement. No matter how it is said, no matter how many times it comes up and no matter how it is rehashed each time .... the outcome will be the exact same.

Most people by now know exactly where the blame lies !!

Roo69
29/09/2005, 1:29 PM
I'll have all the usual suspects on here having ago at a certian manager of a certian Wicklow based club for this but, Cork City Football Club have no one to blame but themselves for the Kevin Doyle deal.

They were the ones who agreed to the clause in his contract and they are the ones who drew the contract up for Doyle to sign, if they were not happy or unsure of anything they should have brought in outside assistance to get the best deal possible for the club.

Considering Bray will recieve between 75k-100k depending on preformance/goals for an 8 week loan deal for Zayed, Cork got taken to the cleaners and all for a quick buck or two.

The final decision with these things always lies with the Board of Directors, they were happy to let Doyle sign the deal at the time so no point being bitter about it now (and yes, i know Rico had nothing to do with it), it's a harsh mistake to learn but not one City will make again.

thejollyrodger
29/09/2005, 1:30 PM
Isnt it about time we sorted out one contract for the league ???? I think so.. it would clear up these pathetic sums of money and help the league a lot.

A face
29/09/2005, 1:39 PM
Cork will got taken to the cleaners and all for a quick buck or two.

I dont disagree with what you are saying but what i did explain in the last post is that City fans are under no illusion, you can skip around all the rights and wrongs, and the whats, ifs and buts .... but when all that is done .... City fans are completely aware of the deceitful and underhanded actions of a certain person.

We can all argue that amounst ourselves, and have a great debate on it .... but what i am saying is that the general public in Cork, from the most passionate fan, down to the cab driver with no interest what so ever, but knows the whole story backwards at this stage, the guy who will read two articles on Citys games a year to the guy who will only miss two games a year. None of them are in any doubt at all about what went on.

It is now simply just common knowledge !!
Nothing we can do except remember it !!

razor
29/09/2005, 1:51 PM
I think the majority of City fans, in the cold light of day, know exactly where the blame lies .. There is most definitely no doubt about i can tell you that.

We you are preached something time after time, like a rhetoric or mantra and then to witness the opposite in practice, it become all so clear.

I dont want to keep having to say this all the time, i'd rather it was left lie to be completely honest, but in saying that ..... be left in no doubt what so ever how most people feel about certain parties involvement. No matter how it is said, no matter how many times it comes up and no matter how it is rehashed each time .... the outcome will be the exact same.

Most people by now know exactly where the blame lies !!
Couldn't have put it better myself, No 1 fan my arse.

joeSoap
29/09/2005, 2:53 PM
Cork City Football Club have no one to blame but themselves for the Kevin Doyle deal.

They were the ones who agreed to the clause in his contract and they are the ones who drew the contract up for Doyle to sign, if they were not happy or unsure of anything they should have brought in outside assistance to get the best deal possible for the club.

The final decision with these things always lies with the Board of Directors, they were happy to let Doyle sign the deal at the time so no point being bitter about it now (and yes, i know Rico had nothing to do with it), it's a harsh mistake to learn but not one City will make again.
My points exactly. Kevin Doyles 'agent' may have had issues with Cork City, but in his capacity as advisor to Doyle and getting him the best deal he could, he didn't half do a bad job.

Blame whoever ye want, at the end of the day Brian Lennox had the power to veto that contract and didn't. End of story. It can be compared to why Liverpool had to let Michael Owen go so cheaply...sell now, or get bugger all in a few months.

Easy blame the hate figure....who I'm sure is secretly laughing his ass off at ye now over this one.

kingcolers
29/09/2005, 2:53 PM
I dont disagree with what you are saying but what i did explain in the last post is that City fans are under no illusion, you can skip around all the rights and wrongs, and the whats, ifs and buts .... but when all that is done .... City fans are completely aware of the deceitful and underhanded actions of a certain person.

We can all argue that amounst ourselves, and have a great debate on it .... but what i am saying is that the general public in Cork, from the most passionate fan, down to the cab driver with no interest what so ever, but knows the whole story backwards at this stage, the guy who will read two articles on Citys games a year to the guy who will only miss two games a year. None of them are in any doubt at all about what went on.

It is now simply just common knowledge !!
Nothing we can do except remember it !!

if its such common knowledge, then why the f*ck dont you tell us who you're talking about? i for one don't have a clue and all these nudge nudge wink wink references are annoying. is it fat pat? the manager of bray? spit it out for god's sake

joeSoap
29/09/2005, 2:55 PM
if its such common knowledge, then why the f*ck dont you tell us who you're talking about? i for one don't have a clue and all these nudge nudge wink wink references are annoying. is it fat pat? the manager of bray? spit it out for god's sakeI think you'll find its Pat Dolan they so bitterly refer to.

kingcolers
29/09/2005, 2:58 PM
I think you'll find its Pat Dolan they so bitterly refer to.

maybe i'm slow but could A Face also tell me why fat pat would have done this? what motivation? what benefit to himself (ie, money)? if you're so bloody certain about it, then tell us exactly what, and more importantly why, it happened. otherwise you're talking out your arse.

Jerry The Saint
29/09/2005, 2:59 PM
"The club was taken advantage of" said Richardson.

And Pats were taken advantage of in the transfer of Doyle to Cork. I'm sure Lennox wasn't unhappy with that particular piece of business instigated by Dolan (and why should he?). What goes around comes around.

A face
29/09/2005, 3:00 PM
who I'm sure is secretly laughing his ass off at ye now over this one.

All the way to the bank infact .... he didn't do too bad out of it himself i'm sure. But, and this is just me speaking .... i hate the kunt all the more now that he is laughing, and one more thing .... this is a small country, and even smaller in football terms. He might have done well out of this one but in the long run .... will it come back to haunt him ? What has he excluded himself from at this stage ?? Who knows right now .... but if it does haunt him ..... i will split a side laughing at him !! What goes around will always eventually ... !!

patsh
30/09/2005, 6:45 AM
To all the knowalls:Cork pittance if Doyle earns senior spurs Thursday September 29th 2005
CORK CITY will earn a paltry payment of just £10,000 if former striker Kevin Doyle plays for the Republic of Ireland against in next month's World Cup qualifiers. Their deal with Reading allows for two payments of £10,000 when Doyle appears in his first friendly and competitive matches. Having sold him to Reading for a knockdown price of £80,000 last June because of a get-out clause in his contract, Cork have every reason to feel hard done by. Doyle's valuation is likely to zoom to £1million once he makes his competitive international debut having already made a sensational start to his new career in England with three goals in the Championship.

The £80,000 get-out clause had been inserted in Doyle's contract when he joined Cork City from St Pat's in 2003 as Pat Dolan's first signing. When he signed a new contract the clause had to remain because players offered lesser terms automatically become free agents.

"The club was naive and were taken advantage of but not, I stress, by Kevin Doyle," said Richardson. "A lot of people make big talk about our players going to England, or not going, and here was one of our top players going for little or nothing. As it turned out it looks more and more like nothing."
Richardson was at pains to point out that Doyle had nothing to do with what happened. "I hope Kevin has great success because he is everything a professional footballer should be. He will be one of the top players this country has had for a long, long time" he said.

Gerry McDermott

tiktok
30/09/2005, 7:01 AM
It's 12.5% of the transfer fee that was paid, while it works out as a pittance, it's not the worst deal really.

As for the clause, there's absolutely no problem with the one inserted by Pat Dolan first day €117,000 for an 18 year old that no-one had seen play isn't the problem.

It's the fact that it remained in the contract on renegotiation that CCFC fans should have a problem with. Who you blame is up to yourself.

Pat would have been someone Doyle would have spoken to about the contract though and I'm 100% convinced that he told his brother at Reading that the buy-out clause existed, so his own hands are far from clean.

Obviously he wasn't employed by the club at the time so I can see why it might seem strange to people on the outside where our problem lies. But you all didn't have to deal with the sh!t that his sacking left, there's a lot of bad blood there.

patsh
30/09/2005, 7:11 AM
It's the fact that it remained in the contract on renegotiation that CCFC fans should have a problem with. Who you blame is up to yourself.

CCFC had no choice about the matter, titktok.
As can be clearly seen from my post above, Doyle would have become a free agent if the clause had been excluded by CCFC, therefore their hands were tied and the club cannot be blamed for that.
We all know who did the dirt in this deal. Just because his cheerleaders refuse to accept it, it doesn't change the fact that the the ex-manager of this club is a bullsh*tter, a liar and a petty little man.

tiktok
30/09/2005, 7:23 AM
CCFC had no choice about the matter, titktok.
As can be clearly seen from my post above, Doyle would have become a free agent if the clause had been excluded by CCFC, therefore their hands were tied and the club cannot be blamed for that.
We all know who did the dirt in this deal. Just because his cheerleaders refuse to accept it, it doesn't change the fact that the the ex-manager of this club is a bullsh*tter, a liar and a petty little man.

While I agree with a lot of what you said patsh, the quote in your post is

When he signed a new contract the clause had to remain because players offered lesser terms automatically become free agents.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if they negotiated properly and upped Kevin's wages/bonus to a point where he was happy to accept a larger buy-out clause, then it wouldn't have been offering him lesser terms.

Otherwise every club would have to sign their youth players to million euro buy-out clauses at the outset, because they wouldn't be able to increase it in case the player made it.

point though, the main few words above are:
"to a point where he was happy to accept a larger buy-out"

I think Kevin wanted out, and I think Dolan advised him and tipped off Reading. I'm not sure Pat had too much to do with the contract renegotiation. I know I wouldn't have let Pat negotiate any contract, especially one for a player he had such a close relationship with.

patsh
30/09/2005, 7:58 AM
point though, the main few words above are:
"to a point where he was happy to accept a larger buy-out"

But how do we know that they didn't offer as much as they could?
Or that they could have offered him the world, but he still wouldn't accept it?
I don't accept what Rico says that Doyler had nothing to do with this, I think Doyle was well aware of his options and that the Reading option was in the background for a long time before the actual move. Maybe CCFC were naive, and should have had more control, but there is a lot of sneaky business that went on between people who knew each other very well for a long time.

joeSoap
30/09/2005, 8:35 AM
But how do we know that they didn't offer as much as they could?They offered as much as they had to, as Cork were legally obliged to inform Doyle of any bid that came in for him that exceeded €117,000 under the terms of his contract.

Its called business, which football is to the likes of Reading FC and others, and yes, ye did get screwed. Ye should have looked after him better on re-negotiation, and upped the minimum asking price, as ye were perfectly entitled to do on re-negotiation.

tiktok
30/09/2005, 9:19 AM
I don't accept what Rico says that Doyler had nothing to do with this, I think Doyle was well aware of his options.

That's what I was implying Patsh.
Doyle wanted out, the clause meant he went cheaply, but he was going anyway.

pete
30/09/2005, 10:45 AM
I'm disappointed that Rico has choosen to re-ignite this topic now.

I don't think we'll ever know who put the clause in but clearly a number of people employed by the club would have to take blame in any scenario.

I believe theres only 1 way that Eamonn Dolan could have know about the clause in the contract & its possible that the information could be considered confidential information - would be like a sales person moving to new job & telling new employer about customer contracts at old job.

thejollyrodger
30/09/2005, 11:15 AM
I think its a good time to re ignite the topic. Cork really lacked a goal scorer and Doyle would have produced considering the form he is in.

Doyle's value will go to £1million pounds if he plays a few times for Ireland. Cork will recieve nothing and Reading will make a tidy profit.

I think its high time that a well though out contract was put together to elimiate all these problems. A contract template can can be modified to fit different clubs but the underlying agreement being the same.

patsh
30/09/2005, 12:11 PM
They offered as much as they had to, as Cork were legally obliged to inform Doyle of any bid that came in for him that exceeded €117,000 under the terms of his contract.

Its called business, which football is to the likes of Reading FC and others, and yes, ye did get screwed. Ye should have looked after him better on re-negotiation, and upped the minimum asking price, as ye were perfectly entitled to do on re-negotiation.
Been listening to Noel again?
You, and Noelly boy, are missing the point here. City would have had to offer huge terms to Doyle to get him to drop that clause.
1. City simply can't afford that kind of money
2. He had no intention of dropping it, because his "advisors" knew they had a nice juicy deal in the background.

Contracts of payment ar normally very private, but Doyles contract seems to have been an open book to Reading. There is an obvious link there, and only a fool would not believe that that link was the conduit for his move.

Surprised by Rico though, we need to forget about Doyle and take whatever money is coming to us from any follow on clauses.

joeSoap
30/09/2005, 1:46 PM
City would have had to offer huge terms to Doyle to get him to drop that clause.
1. City simply can't afford that kind of money
2. He had no intention of dropping it, because his "advisors" knew they had a nice juicy deal in the background.

You seem to forget quite conveniently that it was Citys board of directors who approved the clause in the first place. They agreed to it initially being put in the deal. Maybe they didn't rate Doyle that highly at the time of the first contract signing, and now are fuming that 'someone' else did.

City could be sitting pretty now if Lennox took proper advice when handing out contracts.

His 'advisors' have done well by him, which is what they are supposed to do.

pete
30/09/2005, 1:49 PM
If Doyle is sold by Reading Cork City will get % compensation under the new Uefa/Fifa rules the same as St Pats & Adamstown.

patsh
01/10/2005, 10:28 AM
You seem to forget quite conveniently that it was Citys board of directors who approved the clause in the first place. They agreed to it initially being put in the deal. Maybe they didn't rate Doyle that highly at the time of the first contract signing, and now are fuming that 'someone' else did.

City could be sitting pretty now if Lennox took proper advice when handing out contracts.

His 'advisors' have done well by him, which is what they are supposed to do. :rolleyes:
City's board of directors knew NOTHING about Kevin Doyle when he came to City, they had to trust the person who brought him to the club. They obviously did listen to advice about him, which was coming from the new manager at the time. They also had to trust the same person to do his job for the club, as he was the new manager. It's oh so convenient for you and your buddy to ignore this fact and try to make out that your buddie's former boss is some sort of angel.

Maybe Lennox should have insisted that no such clause be agreed to, but as he had long discussions with and just employed the new manager, it's not surprising that Lennox felt he should let the manager do his job and let him deal with the players and all to do with them.

And his "advisor" was also an employee of this club, what he is supposed to do is "do well" for those paying his wages.

Fermoy Blue
01/10/2005, 4:00 PM
Interesting that Richardson has resurrected the Doyle saga at this stage.It seems that a lot of the suckers on this post can't see that Dolan plucked Doyle from Pats reserves in the 1st place,built ye a team more than capable of winning league-which Richardson was blessed to inherit..Unfortunately he has never won a league and won't this season either despite having the best players...Seems like an oppertune time for him to raise the anti- Dolan hackles now that City are no longer top of pile!

patsh
02/10/2005, 9:51 AM
.Seems like an oppertune time for him to raise the anti- Dolan hackles now that City are no longer top of pile!
Seems like an opportune time for all the thick WUFC fans to stop using the "Fatrick" "Fatman" "Burger and chips" etc.etc. etc. ad nauseum comments too, doesn't it?

ccfcman
02/10/2005, 11:31 AM

Yet you started this thread:rolleyes:

Risteard
03/10/2005, 11:38 AM
:rolleyes:
City's board of directors knew NOTHING about Kevin Doyle when he came to City.
This is true even though they should still have been vigilant.
People wouldn't be bothered even thinking about it if Brendan Sweeney had a €100,000 get out clause.
Think the original (bad) idea about these clauses is to create an artificially high price. Ronaldinho has something like a €100m get out clause.
They're just a stupid idea though for several reasons.
The club can still decide to sell for less. So the only outcome is that if a player becomes that good, the club can be abused by a bout of opportunism such as Doylers advisers.

Fermoy Blue
04/10/2005, 6:40 PM
As of 21.15 last Friday night all true blues love the bigboned but perfectly formed Pat,will always think Richardson's a loser tho!!

thejollyrodger
04/10/2005, 6:57 PM
Just another example of a navie irish manager

OneRedArmy
05/10/2005, 11:51 PM
Not sure what all the hoopla is about.

a) the Chairman and the Board are ultimately responsible for the financial side of any club
b) how much did you think you'd get for him without the clause? Maybe E200k? Its already one of the highest EL transfer fees as it is. Regardless of what he's valued at now, nobody would have paid 500k never mind a million as an EL player.

EL economics being what they are, I suspect no club is in a position to turn down a six figure transfer fee. Cork may be in a better financial position to most, but it would be hard to turn down such a material amount no matter who its for.

His value has increased because he's proved himself (over 4 weeks) at a higher level. His form at Cork is absolutely immaterial now. His valuation is purely based on his Reading form.

I reckon you got stiffed out of 50 odd grand. Worth all the whining? Probably not to be honest.

kingcolers
06/10/2005, 8:35 AM

a) the Chairman and the Board are ultimately responsible for the financial side of any club
b) how much did you think you'd get for him without the clause? Maybe E200k? Its already one of the highest EL transfer fees as it is. Regardless of what he's valued at now, nobody would have paid 500k never mind a million as an EL player.

EL economics being what they are, I suspect no club is in a position to turn down a six figure transfer fee. Cork may be in a better financial position to most, but it would be hard to turn down such a material amount no matter who its for.

His value has increased because he's proved himself (over 4 weeks) at a higher level. His form at Cork is absolutely immaterial now. His valuation is purely based on his Reading form.

I reckon you got stiffed out of 50 odd grand. Worth all the whining? Probably not to be honest.

I'd have to agree with this gentleman. Doyle may be the exact same player now as he was at City (although he admits himself his confidence is higher) but to the outside world he's not proven until he does his stuff in the big leagues.

joeSoap
06/10/2005, 9:50 AM
Not sure what all the hoopla is about.The 'hoopla' as you put it is not about Kevin Doyle, money, or Reading FC. If Kevin Doyle had used another agent in all of this, then it would have been a case of 'well done Kev', 'Great business for City' etc etc.

Because Pat Dolan was instrumental in all this, they can't accept it, or handle it. Dolans put one over on them (they think) and its left a very bitter taste.

patsh
06/10/2005, 9:53 AM
The 'hoopla' as you put it is not about Kevin Doyle, money, or Reading FC. If Kevin Doyle had used another agent in all of this, then it would have been a case of 'well done Kev', 'Great business for City' etc etc.

Because Pat Dolan was instrumental in all this, they can't accept it, or handle it. Dolans put one over on them (they think) and its left a very bitter taste.
Well done, boy, you just keep on believeing what ever sh*te Noel pumps you full of....:rolleyes:

JDB
06/10/2005, 9:58 AM
b) how much did you think you'd get for him without the clause? Maybe E200k?

It was blatantly obvious from watching Doyle week in week out that he was a special talent. A conservative value would have been 500K [he's already worth twice that now and one of the few if not the only member of Reading's high flying squad on international duty this week]. Any scout worth his salt would have realised his ability. Hopefully Doyle's transfer will help to raise the profile of the eL so that clubs and future talented players will be adequately compensated.

joeSoap
06/10/2005, 10:11 AM
Well done, boy, you just keep on believeing what ever sh*te Noel pumps you full of....:rolleyes:
If thats what keeps you happy....:p
Still doesn't disguise the fact that its Dolan ye're bitter with, not the transfer.

OneRedArmy
06/10/2005, 10:41 PM
b) how much did you think you'd get for him without the clause? Maybe E200k?

It was blatantly obvious from watching Doyle week in week out that he was a special talent. A conservative value would have been 500K [he's already worth twice that now and one of the few if not the only member of Reading's high flying squad on international duty this week]. Any scout worth his salt would have realised his ability. Hopefully Doyle's transfer will help to raise the profile of the eL so that clubs and future talented players will be adequately compensated.

Woah there cowboy....transfer fees are generally lower than they have been at any time in the last 5 years and you reckon Doyle is roughly twice as good as the biggest fee ever paid for an EL player?!

Thats 4 times Darryl Murphy for example?

Doyle was good, but there's a reason nobody has paid that sort of amount to an EL club for anyone.

pete
07/10/2005, 9:35 AM
We all know eL players have never been bought for their true value so 500k is optimistic for Doyle. I think however that Reading would probably have paid €250k easily enough as were tracking him for long time. Without the clause I don't believe City would have sold for less than €250k either.

Reading Chairman paid £1m of his own cash for Lita who in recent matches has been subbed while Doyle stayed on the pitch.

joeSoap
07/10/2005, 11:58 AM
We all know eL players have never been bought for their true value so 500k is optimistic for Doyle. I think however that Reading would probably have paid €250k easily enough as were tracking him for long time. Without the clause I don't believe City would have sold for less than €250k either.

Reading Chairman paid £1m of his own cash for Lita who in recent matches has been subbed while Doyle stayed on the pitch.
I suppose that with Lita, he had proven himself in League One the previous seasons with Bristol and they pretty well knew what they were paying for.

Eircom League players will always be looked upon as third world by leading English clubs,and £80,000 was probably all they were going to offer for Doyle anyway imo.

Until the EL starts performing well in Europe, or until an EL import really makes an impression (as hopefully Doyle will do) then our players will never command fees that they're truly worth.

With Doyle, and hopefully Daryl Murphy, the Cork Citys of this world will be able to say 'We produce players of the quality of Kevin Doyle, and the next ones gonna cost you a lot more!'...:ball:

kingcolers
10/10/2005, 9:28 AM
Besides Doyle, who was the last successful import into the English leagues from the eL?? Wasnt there a whole bunch that got relegated with Calrisle? I'm sure that did the league's profile no good.

The only other palyer i can think of, since Roy Keane, is Richie Foran who seems to be doing alright in Scotland. If that's the case then no wonder English clubs arent prepared to take the risk on eL players...

JDB
10/10/2005, 10:04 AM
Besides Doyle, who was the last successful import into the English leagues from the eL?? Wasnt there a whole bunch that got relegated with Calrisle? I'm sure that did the league's profile no good.

The only other palyer i can think of, since Roy Keane, is Richie Foran who seems to be doing alright in Scotland. If that's the case then no wonder English clubs arent prepared to take the risk on eL players...

The only one I can think of off hand is someone called Paul McGrath!! Both he and Roy Keane are perfect precedents for any talent spotters. I think the point here is not about the eL but about individiual talent. Any half decent scout would have known that Doyle was something special. Reading knew they were getting a ridiculous bargain and they were proven correct by Doyles subsequent form and call up to the Irish International squad within 3 months of his transfer. If it wasn't for the trigger in Doyle's clause with Cork City I wonder how much Reading would have paid? A lot more than 76,000 sterling, I would guess. One of the reasons it's hard to find examples of players who've come from the eL and made it big in England is that most of them are snapped up at 15 or 16 and sent on the conveyer belt to liverpool, Spurs, Celtic etc before any eL club has even had a chance to work with them. That needs to change. Hopefully Doyle will serve as an example to other young Irish players that they can progress their careers in Ireland.

joeSoap
10/10/2005, 11:46 AM
One of the reasons it's hard to find examples of players who've come from the eL and made it big in England is that most of them are snapped up at 15 or 16 and sent on the conveyer belt to liverpool, Spurs, Celtic etc before any eL club has even had a chance to work with them. That needs to change. Hopefully Doyle will serve as an example to other young Irish players that they can progress their careers in Ireland.

Perhaps if the FAI started to take the league and its talent a lot more seriously, instead of making a laughing stock of itself all the time, players profiles might get increased. I personally would love to see a deal with Sky Sports agreeing to show one big EL game a month or something like that. and also for each club to have a 'welfare' officer type figure appointed, who could act as an agent for thew club to make sure they're getting their pound of flesh.

pete
10/10/2005, 11:51 AM
There have been very few big money signings from the eL so have generally gone to lower division teams. If a manager spends a lot of moeny on a player he will usually play him to justify the outlaw.

Reading had clearly marked Doyle as 3rd choiuce striker to start season but Coppell had also talked about changing to 4-3-3 to accomadate him.

Was posted in other thread here that piece in the english Times comparing Doyles fee against some waster Watford bought for 5 times the price. U21 caps & goals are good comparison as UK clusb know that standard.

I don't know what Reading would have paid for Doyle but fully believe CCFC would not have sold for less than eL transfer record if had the choice.

BTW i think eL clubs are producing a better standard of young player in recent years.

Éanna
10/10/2005, 12:20 PM
If thats what keeps you happy....:p
Still doesn't disguise the fact that its Dolan ye're bitter with, not the transfer.
Two separate issues joe. Bottom line, we embarassed ourselves by selling a player for peanuts- it was a mistake, we're angry about it, but we'll learn from it, and it won't happen again. As for Dolan- the only thing he has to do with it is the fact that the club his brother is at "somehow" knew the exact amount of clause- too much of a coincidence.

joeSoap
10/10/2005, 12:35 PM
If Doyle actually wanted to leave, and I'm presuming now that he did, then whoever it was that was advising him would be letting clubs across the pond know that he was available for a song. The fact that Dolan informaed Eamon(his brother) of this is purely immaterial. If Reading didn't sign him for €117,000 then someone else was going to. Brotherly love et al. You have to admit that there are elements on this form that despise Dolan because of this and see it merely as him getting revenge on the club.

Maybe there was a bit of that, but ultimately the fault lies with Lennox for not contesting this clause when re-negotiating Doyles deal. It now seems apparent that Doyle wanted to go, and that Dolan had the contacts and resources to help him.

I agree with you that ye got screwed, and I genuinely hope that ye do learn a lesson from it, but how many Kevin Doyles are ye going to unearth? Also, the fact that Dolan brought him from Pats, and showed faith in him when nobody else had even heard of him also contributed to Doyle being so close to and respectful of Dolan.