PDA

View Full Version : RTE's choice of CL games

pete
29/09/2005, 8:59 AM
Whats RTEs facination with Real Madrid? Sure they were best team a few years ago but they don't warrant coverage buy irish station now. Surely RTE should have showed Schalke & Milan last night?

:confused:

NeilMcD
29/09/2005, 9:06 AM
Well both games turned out to be a lot better than their live match. Schalkes second goal was a peach. I suppose its an editorial choice but its a much of a muchness really.

thejollyrodger
29/09/2005, 9:09 AM
real madrid are a breath of fresh air compared to Chelski. They are arguable the best footballing team in the Champions league and the fact that RTE has ignored them for the best part of a decade is a traversity for Irish football fans. I supposed RTE ignored them because of their typical "We are great" attitude that most people hate. Personally I like to see them play at their best but their attitude is quite sickening at times.

finlma
29/09/2005, 9:33 AM
RTE will always show an English team first because of Irish peoples fasination with English soccer. I'd much prefer to be shown the Real or Barcelona game each week.

Dodge
29/09/2005, 10:09 AM
Can't understand RTE sending 2 commentators and a film crew to Madrid though. (and all to interview beckham) Even Sky do the commentary from a booth in London. Total waste of money

thejollyrodger
29/09/2005, 10:14 AM
Nah, I think RTE do it proper and Sky do it on the cheap. I would rather have the commetary team out there and have the interview with whoever afterwards. RTE coverage is the best around in all fairness.

pete
29/09/2005, 10:49 AM
I didn't watch the game as Real Madrid v Greek team isn't attractive.

Dodge
29/09/2005, 10:49 AM
Totally unneccasary interviews IMO. I could understand if thy were interviewing Irish players

pineapple stu
29/09/2005, 12:16 PM
Totally unneccasary interviews IMO. I could understand if thy were interviewing Irish players
Is there any such things as a necessary interview? I think they should all be scrapped personally. "Interviewer" asks managers about the game. Winning manager says his team deserved to win by more; losing manager calls the ref an idiot and gets fined. Rarely anything more enlightening than that. Ban all post-match interviews unless the person has a track record for being funny (e.g. Strachan :) )

Lim till i die
29/09/2005, 1:49 PM
Can't understand RTE sending 2 commentators and a film crew to Madrid though. (and all to interview beckham) Even Sky do the commentary from a booth in London. Total waste of money

They sent that useless pool of slime Peter Collins to Brussels for the Anderlecht game :eek:

As for the Real game it's understandable from rte's point of view. Lot of hype about pressure on their manager during the week and the club also has the premier$hite appeal for barstoolers (Beckham & Woodgate) who occasionaly like to watch "foriegn" leagues apart from the Premiership to come across as sophisticated all-knowing football experts.

anto eile
29/09/2005, 2:54 PM
rte are ****s. they constantly show ****e english games in the cl instead of genuinely good games.
that liverpool chelsea game was awful.as bad as any poor el game this year,thats no exaggeration.
interviewers are a load of bollicks. 99% of footballers and manager never have anything interesting to say.its always the same old clichés. most of them have little or no education, and are quite frankly dim.who seriously gives a ****e what they have to say,what they think?i dont

NeilMcD
29/09/2005, 3:10 PM
Hey with a post like that they should have you as a pundit on RTE. That is the most articulate post on this site so far.

pete
30/09/2005, 10:23 AM
In fairness Liverpool v Chelsea should have been the big game from wednesdays CL. I'm just disappointed of irish media hype towards Real Madrid basically just because Beckham plays for them. You don't see RTE show many Barca games?

OwlsFan
30/09/2005, 4:42 PM
I suspect the commentaries for the Madrid and Anderlecht games were done in a studio from Dublin based on a feed. I am aware they do this for other sports as well.

Schumi
30/09/2005, 4:48 PM
I hope they were. It'd be a serious waste of money to send two commentators to Spain for a match that they weren't even showing live.

CollegeTillIDie
30/09/2005, 7:36 PM
They continuously ignore potentially great CL games involving Spanish V Italian or German V Portuguese teams or ones not involving the ruddy Premiersh1t teams. This pandering to the uneducated football fan is grating sometimes.

jorge
30/09/2005, 8:22 PM
. They are arguable the best footballing team in the Champions league .
I beg to differ,imo they are nearly as boring as Chelsea and the best footballing sides are AC Milan and Barca.

OwlsFan
03/10/2005, 12:45 PM
This pandering to the uneducated football fan is grating sometimes.

WHy do you think they have Dumpy on the show - precisely for that.

finlma
03/10/2005, 1:08 PM
WHy do you think they have Dumpy on the show - precisely for that.

Call Dunphy what you like but one thing he's not is uneducated about football.

Dodge
04/10/2005, 9:58 AM
I hope they were. It'd be a serious waste of money to send two commentators to Spain for a match that they weren't even showing live.
They weren't. That’s why I made the point. Your man (Daragh whathisname...) defo interviewed Beckham in the Bernabeau