PDA

View Full Version : Drastic situations call for drastic measures

Pages : [1] 2

liambo
28/09/2005, 2:25 PM
:d :d :d

Colm
28/09/2005, 2:27 PM
I think merging the Dublin team is a stupid idea personally.
Bohs, Rovers, Pats and even Shels (yes I said it!) all have great traditions and are still better equipped than a lot of teams in the league.
I'd hate to see it happening personally.

superfrank
28/09/2005, 2:31 PM
one way to satisfy the genises criteria is to limit the numbers of dublin teams.
at the moment we have.shels,rovers,bohs,st.pats bray and dublin city.
What did you get in Geography?? :mad:

Get a map out and you will clearly see that Bray is in county Wicklow. End of debate. :mad:

Risteard
28/09/2005, 2:32 PM
And if Bohs, Shels and Rovers merged, they'd be unfairly succesful with big attendances.

Roverstillidie
28/09/2005, 2:32 PM
I think merging the Dublin team is a stupid idea personally.
Bohs, Rovers, Pats and even Shels (yes I said it!) all have great traditions and are still better equipped than a lot of teams in the league.
I'd hate to see it happening personally.

2 points:

1st, who says we have to implement genesis?

2nd: throw chf out, half way there already and on-one is put out. merge rovers and bohs!?! **** right off.

and how did rovers end up in the northside group and home farm in the southside one? someone this stupid has to be an FAI mole testing the water

EnDai
28/09/2005, 2:35 PM
And if Bohs, Shels and Rovers merged, they'd be unfairly succesful with big attendances.
I think the opposite might happen. Not sure if I could go down to support a North Dublin Hybrid Team, its Shelbourne or noone.

tiktok
28/09/2005, 2:42 PM
The problem isn't the number of Dublin teams, it's the apathy of the general Dublin public to their teams.

The population is there to support them all.

Amalgamating teams would be a mistake IMO.
Groundsharing isn't a bad idea though.

Roo69
28/09/2005, 2:42 PM
Why don't people think before they speak and write such silly things ?

Schumi
28/09/2005, 2:44 PM
one way to satisfy the genises criteria is to limit the numbers of dublin teams.
at the moment we have.shels,rovers,bohs,st.pats bray and dublin city.totally unsustainable.
i would suggest(and i know this is going to hurt) that bohs,shels,and rovers merge and play at tolka park,bray dublin city and st. pats merge and play at inchicore.
that would leave a bit of space for some of the "country teams"
I propose merging Cork, Cobh and Derry to play in Turner's Cross and Longford, Athlone and Dundalk to play in Flancare Park. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Only allowed 5 rolleyes. : rolleyes:

Roo69
28/09/2005, 2:46 PM
I propose merging Cork, Cobh and Derry to play in Turner's Cross and Longford, Athlone and Dundalk to play in Flancare Park. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Only allowed 5 rolleyes. : rolleyes:

Great call ! Maybe Bray and UCD could also merge and we could call ourselves the "South Dublin Supper Soccer Team", ah wait i totally forgot Bray is in Wicklow, scap that idea

Poor Student
28/09/2005, 2:46 PM
at the moment we have.shels,rovers,bohs,st.pats bray and dublin city.totally unsustainable.
i would suggest(and i know this is going to hurt) that bohs,shels,and rovers merge and play at tolka park,bray dublin city and st. pats merge and play at inchicore.
that would leave a bit of space for some of the "country teams" :ball: :ball: :ball:

Ever hear of a club called UCD?

superfrank
28/09/2005, 2:49 PM
Liambo, I wonder if you're just taking the ****.

ThatGuy
28/09/2005, 2:59 PM
What percentage of the population live in Dublin or its surrounding area? What percentage of the EL clubs play in Dublin?

If the league is to go regional, Dublin will have four regions, and there are already four prime candidates for each of them. Hopefully we will soon see the day when Shelbourne are the North co.Dublin team and Rovers are the south co.Dublin team, while Bohemians are the north Dublin city team and Pats are the south Dublin city team.

Where does this leave Dublin City and UCD? UCD should have no place in the League as far as I am concerned, sorry UCD fans, but the club brings nothing to the league, never will, and serves no purpose. It should stick to the college leagues where it belongs. The sooner Dublin City go bust the better.

Merging clubs makes no sense.

Bluebeard
28/09/2005, 3:00 PM
i would suggest that bohs,shels,and rovers merge and play at tolka park

I think that this could not be let happen for at least one very obvious reason. In order to preserve the dignity of each club's illustrious history, each would surely want to have at least vestiges of their colours on the resultant shirt - they'd end up with a green, red, black, white weave effect. I for one would object to this, on the grounds of it interfering with any possible television coverage, and people continually switching channels mid game to make sure that their telly isn't banjaxed. Anyway, what could they be called?
Shelhemian Rovers?
Bohrock Bourne?
Shambournians?

Actually that last one is really starting to grow on me

bray dublin city and st. pats merge and play at inchicore.
I suspect that St. Pat's would be exempt from this rule, owing to having already merged equally and amicably with St. Francis, an exemplary merger that has resulted with the equal re-application of the clubs names to the new club - taking the St. and Football Club from St Francis Football Club. and the Patrick's Athletic from St. Patrick's Athletic Football Club to create the completely new entity, mutually respectful of their respective traditions: St. Patrick's Athletic Football Club

:D

superfrank
28/09/2005, 3:03 PM
I suspect that St. Pat's would be exempt from this rule, owing to having already merged equally and amicably with St. Francis, an exemplary merger that has resulted with the equal re-application of the clubs names to the new club - taking the St. and Football Club from St Francis Football Club. and the Patrick's Athletic from St. Patrick's Athletic Football Club to create the completely new entity, mutually respectful of their respective traditions: St. Patrick's Athletic Football Club

:D
Yes, that's what they did.... :confused:

I thought St. Francis becmae part of St. Pats. As in they were absorbed into the club.

Poor Student
28/09/2005, 3:09 PM
UCD should have no place in the League as far as I am concerned, sorry UCD fans, but the club brings nothing to the league, never will, and serves no purpose. It should stick to the college leagues where it belongs. The sooner Dublin City go bust the better.

Merging clubs makes no sense.

Bring nothing to the league? What does that even mean? :confused: If we belong in the college leagues (where incidentally we already have a team) then why are we 7th in the league and reaching a cup final plus have 2 U-21 internationals?

thejollyrodger
28/09/2005, 3:12 PM
I dont think ANY club should disband. If it comes down to it I would rather see a club relocate to another part of Ireland and keep its tradition.

Schumi
28/09/2005, 3:13 PM
I dont think ANY club should disband. If it comes down to it I would rather see a club relocate to another part of Ireland and keep its tradition.
Shels to Mayo!! :D

bigmac
28/09/2005, 3:21 PM
What percentage of the population live in Dublin or its surrounding area? What percentage of the EL clubs play in Dublin?

It's a pretty fair distribution actually, if you consider that over a third of people live in the Dublin area. There's plenty of room for all the clubs that exist if they were to market themselves properly and the league as a product developed in a similar way to rugby. look at Celtic league attendances in rugby, where most of the time there are no away fans and soccer (a much bigger sport) should be able to promote itself properly.

BTW, with regards to UCD, the population of UCD (staff and students) is larger than most towns in Ireland (18000 students and over 3000 staff) so they have a ready made audience there. The thing is to stop blaming individual clubs for their shoddy attendances (they have a role to play definitely) but to increase the appeal of the league as a whole so that people will want to go and watch games, regardless of the teams involved.

Dodge
28/09/2005, 3:30 PM
Yes, that's what they did.... :confused:

I thought St. Francis becmae part of St. Pats. As in they were absorbed into the club.
No, the merger was only proposed. It never actually happened.

Thank christ

Schumi
28/09/2005, 3:39 PM
No, the merger was only proposed. It never actually happened. Really? Weren't you parading around as SPAISFFC for a year?

The Stars
28/09/2005, 3:46 PM
ah wait i totally forgot Bray is in Wicklow, scap that idea
It even says it in your profile on Location.....how could you forget?

Roverstillidie
28/09/2005, 3:54 PM
Really? Weren't you parading around as SPAISFFC for a year?

thats what i thought too. wasnt the francis crest put somewhere too?

if pats didnt swallow them, where are they now?

jorge
28/09/2005, 4:01 PM
What we need is a fcuk load of funding or a MAJOR sponsor.

Dodge
28/09/2005, 4:30 PM
Really? Weren't you parading around as SPAISFFC for a year?
You really did't want me to get into this BUT...

Alan Duncan was Chairman/secretary (whatever, he was in charge) of St. Francis and seeing as they were never going to be anything, approached Pat Dolan with a view to merging the two clubs. Panto Lad loved the idea and himself and Tim O'Flaherty (chairman who was away with the fairies at the time) thought it'd be a great idea (main reasoning was getting John Hyland Park)

Big announcement made (Ridiculous press conference with someone dressed as St. patrick ans someone dressed as St. Francis) where the merger was announced. "It should be finalised within weeks" The branding was to be "Dublin Saints". At all times only 3 people were involved in the discussions.

As it was only a couple of weeks before the start of the First Division, St. Francis pulled out. The move was almost univerally opposed by Pats fans (there was a few Dolanites who believed the hype) mainly on the basis of the club changing name. Our current chairman (then barely a director) met Independent Saints and told us under no circumstances would the moniker "Dublin Saints" be used. It was only a marketing name. It might become the "official nickname" but the name St. Patrick's Athletic would remain. Within a couple of days, Alan Duncan addressed St. Francis supporters (and wws who went along for info :) )and told them that the official name would "definitely become Dublin Saints" and it would happen after a year (to help appease Pats fans). He was given a place on the Pats board.

Although never changing name, Pats used St. Patrick's Athletic (Including (sic) St. Francis) F.C. on the official programme and the jersey (which had been on sale) now included the Francis crest on our sleeves. Again Pats fans were furious and used every occasion to let the board, and particularly Duncan, know how they feel (A Tuesday night in Monaghan being most memorable)

As the season wore on, more and more details came out. Pats couldn't get John Hyland park as it was owned by a trust. Pats had to take on St. Francis' debts. The new directors would bring in no new investment. Before the seaon was out it was announced that the "merger" was off and Alan Duncan was no longer a member of our board (within weeks he was on Rovers' board)

One of the worst seasons I've had following Pats...

Schumi
28/09/2005, 4:40 PM
You really did't want me to get into this BUT...On the contrary, didn't know most of that. Quite interesting.

Ridiculous press conference with someone dressed as St. patrick ans someone dressed as St. FrancisLol, has anyone any pictures of this? Sounds hilarious. :D

sligoman
28/09/2005, 4:44 PM
What did you get in Geography?? :mad:

Get a map out and you will clearly see that Bray is in county Wicklow. End of debate. :mad:Ah come on superfrank, it's practically Dublin, no point in denying it ;) :D

Poor Student
28/09/2005, 5:05 PM
So St. Francis lost their league place on the whim of one man that was never followed through? Their fans must be annoyed to say the least. They still compete at Leinster Senior level don't they?

superfrank
28/09/2005, 5:36 PM
Ah come on superfrank, it's practically Dublin, no point in denying it ;) :D
No, call it Wicklow. The Carlisle Grounds is in county Wicklow and we do get fans from South Dublin but by christ it's Wicklow!

sligoman
28/09/2005, 5:36 PM
No, call it Wicklow. The Carlisle Grounds is in county Wicklow and we do get fans from South Dublin but by christ it's Wicklow!ha ha, I knew that would get ya going :D :p

Dodge
28/09/2005, 5:37 PM
Yeah, reformed and started at the bottom rung of the lsl. May not have been totally one man but he was definitely the main mover. Finished St. Francis, ****ed us up, ****ed Rovers up... at the start of last season he was voting on the FAI board of control...

superfrank
28/09/2005, 5:44 PM
ha ha, I knew that would get ya going :D :p
Sure they are just after saying in the cup draw there are no Dublin teams left, they're all cultchies....

I'd rather be a cultchie then a jackeen!

blutil
28/09/2005, 8:03 PM
how bout we just play with novelty balls like in the IL

http://www.linfieldfc.com/pics_logos/0506awaykit/grant1.jpg

Bald Student
28/09/2005, 9:08 PM
how bout we just play with novelty balls like in the IL

http://www.linfieldfc.com/pics_logos/0506awaykit/grant1.jpgOr field teams of dwarfs.

Student Mullet
28/09/2005, 9:11 PM
I think that there are too many teams in Dublin. If someone were to form a City wide team, called Dublin City or something like that, then crowd would flock to them. They'd be playing in front of tens of thousands every week and could probably even enter some type of european super-league.

History is nothing. Think of the future.

Dr.Nightdub
28/09/2005, 9:30 PM
I never realised Eamonn Dunphy was a member of this forum.

Poor Student
28/09/2005, 9:51 PM
Or field teams of dwarfs.

Why not both? Yes, picture that image.

EnDai
28/09/2005, 11:11 PM
Yeah, reformed and started at the bottom rung of the lsl. May not have been totally one man but he was definitely the main mover. Finished St. Francis, ****ed us up, ****ed Rovers up... at the start of last season he was voting on the FAI board of control...
And least season had Rico as manager for at least part of it. :) Seriously ;)

Derek
28/09/2005, 11:59 PM
2 points:

1st, Bah, blah
2nd: throw chf out, half way there already

If the tax man had any balls you lot would be playing LSL.

Macy
29/09/2005, 7:29 AM
No, call it Wicklow. The Carlisle Grounds is in county Wicklow and we do get fans from South Dublin but by christ it's Wicklow!
"We all know that it's Finglas by the sea, Finglas by the sea" :D

Roo69
29/09/2005, 9:10 AM
"We all know that it's Finglas by the sea, Finglas by the sea" :D

Longford = Bogger Bohs

NY Hoop
29/09/2005, 9:46 AM
If the tax man had any balls you lot would be playing LSL.

For the gazillionth time the taxman knew damn well it wasnt us who hadnt paid the tax bill. I was in court the day council said that the Revenue were satisfied with the examinership.

If the league had any balls you lot would be in the LSL.

Dumbest thread ever btw.

Tired from hearing about the Dublin bias. Mullas please get over it. If the league got rid of CHF you would have 5 senior clubs from the capital which is less than a quarter of the whole league.

KOH

Ringo
29/09/2005, 10:24 AM
For the gazillionth time the taxman knew damn well it wasnt us who hadnt paid the tax bill. I was in court the day council said that the Revenue were satisfied with the examinership.

KOH

The revenue didn't have much choice, accept the examinership & get something or get nothing. :rolleyes:

Roverstillidie
29/09/2005, 10:38 AM
The revenue didn't have much choice, accept the examinership & get something or get nothing. :rolleyes:

is it the legal process of examinership you obect to or the fact that we thought of it first?

Dodge
29/09/2005, 10:52 AM
The only thing that saved ROvers was they had no assists to speak of. Anyone who owns a ground and/or offices couldn't do it as they'd have to be sold first. As Rovers hadn't a pot to **** in, they could get away with the 4c in the € agreement.

monkey magic
29/09/2005, 11:41 AM
Longford = Bogger Bohs

only a jackeen has the right to call anyone a bogger...

Ringo
29/09/2005, 11:51 AM
is it the legal process of examinership you obect to or the fact that we thought of it first?

No the fact you ripped everyone off. Examinership is nothing to be proud of. Ripping of local business's & taxpayers is nothing to be proud of.

NY Hoop
29/09/2005, 12:16 PM
No the fact you ripped everyone off. Examinership is nothing to be proud of. Ripping of local business's & taxpayers is nothing to be proud of.

You really have to get over this consistent anti Rovers hatred. How many of your posts are Rovers related btw?

WE, the present owners, didnt rip anyone off. It was Branvard who ran up bills with everyone in this city, they ripped off businesses and the taxpayer and hopefully they will be brought to account for that.

Examinership is better than liquidation.

Here's a question for you. How can you afford to pay your players when your gate receipts are a round of drinks? Isnt it only 7/8 years away that CHF will be in the CL?

KOH

Ringo
29/09/2005, 12:49 PM
You really have to get over this consistent anti Rovers hatred. How many of your posts are Rovers related btw?

WE, the present owners, didnt rip anyone off. It was Branvard who ran up bills with everyone in this city, they ripped off businesses and the taxpayer and hopefully they will be brought to account for that.

Examinership is better than liquidation.

Here's a question for you. How can you afford to pay your players when your gate receipts are a round of drinks? Isnt it only 7/8 years away that CHF will be in the CL?

KOH

this from a guy with a signiture that reads "Hey Genesis remove CHF" :rolleyes:

bigmac
29/09/2005, 1:11 PM

Two things. Firstly, as far as I'm concerned it's water under the bridge, and good luck to the new owners, they seem to be doing an alright job so far (anyone who gets on Roddy's bad side is ok by me) with banning the fans responsible for trouble in Derry.

However (secondly :) ) a lot of fans of other teams do feel that Rovers got off lightly with the examinership and a points deduction that doesn't look like relegating them. I can understand you saying that the previous administration are the ones to blame (clearly that's true) but you have to understand that they represented Shamrock Rovers the football club (just as you do now) and it is the club at whom other supporters direct their animosity. As a supporter of a club, you have the luxury of making a distinction between the club as a theoretical entity and the various parts that make up the club. Thus you can love Rovers/Shels whoever but not like the owner/manager/coaches etc. That distinction lessens as you move away from the club, so that to a fan of another team, it is just one single entity, with no discernable change depending on personnel changes.

So what made people angry? Well, it was perceived that Rovers bought their way out of trouble last year with money that was not there. The poaching of a manager from fellow relegation strugglers was viewed by the rest of the league as extremely low, and personally, I thought it was very bad taste. I also think that the FAI/EL/Revenue had a big role to play as it was common knowledge that things weren't kosher, but nothing was fully investigated. (again, kudos to the fans who had pointed this out to no avail).
But the biggest sticking point I think is that other fans can see a situation where a club in less disarray than Rovers were in, are more heavily punished due to a clampdown, increasing standards, whatever you want to call it. Take Waterford for example. If we could write off 96% of our debt and start next year with a similar points deduction then we'd almost probably take it, and I think other clubs would be in a similar boat. The perception remains that the biggest offenders (as yet) got off lightly because it was the league's first case.