PDA

View Full Version : Leave Connolly at Home

SÓC
25/04/2002, 6:39 PM
I cannot for the life of me understand how a player like David Connolly is a sure thing to go to the World Cup.

The fact that McCarthy wouldn't even look at Crowe could have been overlooked if we actually had some dept and skill up front, but we are very far from that.

Remember the match against Cyprus? My God even I would have got two or three that day.

City Fan
26/04/2002, 9:16 AM
Agreed. Players as painfully short of stature and physique as Connolly need to have either exceptional pace, ball skills or both. Connolly has neither of these. He has roved time and time again with his struggles against even the most lowly opposition that he is simply not good enough for top class soccer. Now, maybe Crowe is, or maybe he isn't good enough for international soccer, but, there HAS to be a better option than Connolly.

Murhy Out Now!!

pete
26/04/2002, 11:34 AM
Well said.

Connolly has reached his career high of playing in the english 1st division. I have he gripe against him but he will NEVER play in the Premiership on a regular basis.

I can't remeber his irish goal tally but I think he may have scored 1 goal in the qualifiers against mighty Andorra? He has probably scored maybe 2 goals in 20-25 internationals since his first few games. I just remember all those misses from Connolly including one unbelieveable header at Landsdowne from 4 yards

Cyprus away & Andorra at home really showed Mick McCarthys hand. In games where we were likely (and did) get a ton of chances & just needed a striker to finish them off he preferred to play Connolly & when he got injured Doherty (a DEFENDER) upfront.

It was sad he didn't give Crowe a callup to those squads but then called him up against Portugal where he had no chance of ever making the pitch.

:rolleyes:

kilbrin
26/04/2002, 11:38 AM
Connolly has scored 8 international goals which isn't bad for a player that people think has no skill.

pete
26/04/2002, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by kilbrin
Connolly has scored 8 international goals which isn't bad for a player that people think has no skill.

You just backed up my point.

I think he scored something like 6 of them in his first 6-7 games including some hat-trick against one of the international minnows. I'm sure i'll find the stats later but 2 goals in 20+ games is woeful.

SÓC
26/04/2002, 11:58 AM
He hat-trick included taping in two shots that we already going into the goal. He must be one of the worst players going to the World Cup from the UEFA nations.

Pablo
26/04/2002, 1:02 PM
I dont think thats fair. Crowe does score a lot of goal...but then Connolly does aswell in the english first division, and weather we like it or not, thats a division light years ahead of the EL.

Thats the criteria on which he is picked

Neil
26/04/2002, 1:33 PM
I don't think Connolly deserves to be cast aside by Irish fans. He may not be the greatest player in the world but he always gives 100% and he has scored a fair few goals given his limited appearances. Also he IS Irish.

Éanna
26/04/2002, 1:34 PM
Originally posted by Neil
I don't think Connolly deserves to be cast aside by Irish fans. He may not be the greatest player in the world but he always gives 100% and he has scored a fair few goals given his limited appearances. Also he IS Irish.
I thought he was born in England........... Regardless of that, Crowe deserves a chance.

Wizzard
26/04/2002, 3:11 PM
From WorldCup.ie (http://www.worldcup.ie/teams/players/player_profiles_republicofireland.asp)

David Connolly
Date of birth: 06/06/77
Place of birth: London
Height: 5ft 6ins
Weight: 10st 6lbs
Position: Striker
Club: Wimbledon
Caps: 32
Goals: 8

Connolly has been around a long time in the international set-up having won his first cap in 1996. But he is down the pecking order when it comes to strikers.

pete
26/04/2002, 4:42 PM
Originally posted by Wizzard
Connolly has been around a long time in the international set-up having won his first cap in 1996. But he is down the pecking order when it comes to strikers.

Hes only there cos Mick sees no one else as an oiption.

Look how easily Morrission would appear to be ahead of him now.

Éanna
30/04/2002, 12:19 PM
i was trawling thru a few sites trying to get a list of who he scored his goals against, but couldn't find it. AFAIK, he's never scored for ireland against a team most of us would even call decent.

The Legend
03/05/2002, 5:35 PM
If Connolly is the 23rd man, and Doherty is left out i will be sick.

So what if Doherty was injured... he's so much better than Connolly that its not funny and he can cover defense or attack!

..... its a shame!

Des.