PDA

View Full Version : Carlsberg FAI Challenge Cup - Draw This Evening

Peadar
28/09/2005, 1:28 PM
The draw is on Six One news this evening.
Will probably start around 18.30

I'm hoping for:

Cork City v Bray Wanderers

Drogheda United v Derry City

Surely the FAI will do the decent thing and keep the two big clubs apart!?

-Bray-
28/09/2005, 2:00 PM
The draw is on Six One news this evening.
Will probably start around 18.30

I'm hoping for:

Cork City v Bray Wanderers

Drogheda United v Derry City

Yeah defo agree, but give them both home ties aswell so they are guaranteed to go through.

So just switch Cork vs Bray to the carlisle and youve got it spot on!

Poor Student
28/09/2005, 2:02 PM

Isn't that the indecent thing and contrary to the spirit of traditional cup competition? :confused:

Krstic
28/09/2005, 2:02 PM
I'll settle for any of the 3 at the Brandywell :ball: :ball:

superfrank
28/09/2005, 2:04 PM
Yeah defo agree, but give them both home ties aswell so they are guaranteed to go through.

So just switch Cork vs Bray to the carlisle and youve got it spot on!
I like your thinking, as long as we are at home, we have a good chance of going through.

Roo69
28/09/2005, 2:14 PM
I'll settle for any of the 3 at the Brandywell :ball: :ball:

I'd be the same, except swap the Brandywell for the Carlisle, but in a perfect world we would get Drogs at home and win, let Derry and Cork kill eachother, meaning no matter what happens in the final were in europe, but in saying that were still goning to win the cup :D

EnDai
28/09/2005, 2:14 PM
I hope Derry and Cork are kept apart, that'll pave the way for Shelbourne to be in Europe next year provided we don't throw away 3rd. Though it has to be said I'm getting more and more confident of 2nd by the day! ;)

Peadar
28/09/2005, 2:16 PM
contrary to the spirit of traditional cup competition? :confused:

This is a competition where Shamrock Rovers have the greatest tradition. Quite clearly, tradition is worthless! :D

coislaoi
28/09/2005, 3:06 PM
I'd be the same, except swap the Brandywell for the Carlisle, but in a perfect world we would get Drogs at home and win, let Derry and Cork kill eachother, meaning no matter what happens in the final were in europe, but in saying that were still goning to win the cup :D

AFAIK if Bray get to the final and end up losing to the league runners up, then you don't get to Europe as the Cup EUFA spot is seeded ahead of 2nd in the league.

So to get into Europe, Bray have to win the cup or lose to the league winners in the final. ;)

holidaysong
28/09/2005, 5:44 PM
Jason McAteer doing the draw -

Cork City vs. Derry City
Drogheda Utd vs. Bray Wanderers

Poor Student
28/09/2005, 5:46 PM
I guess this proves that these things are not rigged. Derry and Cork not kept apart for the final and UCD won the right to host the League Cup final at Belfield.

superfrank
28/09/2005, 5:46 PM
Jesus christ, the size of Clive Delaney....

Yeah, eh ok draw. I wish it were at home though.

BohsFans
28/09/2005, 5:52 PM
What's Jason McAteer doing in Dublin these days??

He's the one who slagged off our league and Glen Crowe to the face of Bohs fans in Estonia a few years ago when Mick McCarthy brought Crowe into the squad. ****

Cosmo
28/09/2005, 6:19 PM
God is a Drog - nice one

Krstic
29/09/2005, 9:28 AM
God is a Drog - nice one

Suppose a Derry -Bray final will have to do!!! :D

Cosmo
29/09/2005, 9:39 AM
Suppose a Derry -Bray final will have to do!!! :D

Yeah Cork V Drogs final will be nice alright especially considering it will split my family :D .

To be fair though - what a way to finish the season off if it is derry v drogs. Shels finish second in the league, and then we beat the club that sickeningly tried to kick us out of the league a couple of years ago :mad: and who we havent beaten all season and sent them off to the intertwobob cup :p !!

Krstic
29/09/2005, 9:45 AM
Yeah Cork V Drogs final will be nice alright especially considering it will split my family :D .

To be fair though - what a way to finish the season off if it is derry v drogs. Shels finish second in the league, and then we beat the club that sickeningly tried to kick us out of the league a couple of years ago :mad: and who we havent beaten all season and sent them off to the intertwobob cup :p !!

Too much coffee this morning cosmo!!!

When we beat Shels AGAIN on friday they'll be out of the running :eek:

NY Hoop
29/09/2005, 9:51 AM
This is a competition where Shamrock Rovers have the greatest tradition. Quite clearly, tradition is worthless! :D

Bit like all the clubs that your city has had :D

While our trophy has been on loan for too long the day we get it back will see scenes of unbridled joy that will be remembered forever.

KOH

NY Hoop
29/09/2005, 9:59 AM
What's Jason McAteer doing in Dublin these days??

He's the one who slagged off our league and Glen Crowe to the face of Bohs fans in Estonia a few years ago when Mick McCarthy brought Crowe into the squad. ****

Fair play to him! Seriously what a **** for saying that. But this is the guy who said "180" to Jimmy White so wouldnt take anything he says seriously. Bit like oily that way!

Anyway hope to see Drogheda win it as it would be their first senior trophy and they would have UEFA Cup football next year and with it a chance to score their first goal in Europe. The other 3 have won the Cup relatively recently.

Also like the League Cup Final the Cup semis should be played in neutral venues. For Cork v Derry it should be in Longford and for Drogheda v Bray tolka.

KOH

The Stars
29/09/2005, 10:00 AM
I think Derry will win the cup now after seeing the draw

Cosmo
29/09/2005, 10:11 AM
[QUOTE=Krstic]Too much coffee this morning cosmo!!!

QUOTE]

Nah dont drink coffee

Fair play NY Hoop though dont agree with ye re: neutral venues for semis - it should be the luck of the draw imo

Peadar
29/09/2005, 10:16 AM
Also like the League Cup Final the Cup semis should be played in neutral venues. For Cork v Derry it should be in Longford

What a load of rubbish!
The battle of the Citys should be in a home ground for the true cup atmosphere. If the game wasn't in TX, I'd want it to be in the randy Brandywell.

Should be a cracking game.
Hope it's on the Friday but we'd probably get more Derry lads there if it was on the Saturday.

Peadar
29/09/2005, 10:18 AM
scenes of unbridled joy that will be remembered forever.

Can we expect to see even more burning cars out in Tallaght so then?

NY Hoop
29/09/2005, 10:37 AM
What a load of rubbish!
The battle of the Citys should be in a home ground for the true cup atmosphere. If the game wasn't in TX, I'd want it to be in the randy Brandywell.

Should be a cracking game.
Hope it's on the Friday but we'd probably get more Derry lads there if it was on the Saturday.

How is it rubbish ffs? Cup semis should be a day out for both clubs in a neutral venue. Seeing as the domestic Cup is only taken seriously on this island and in england and scotland you have to look at england. Their Cup semi days are super occasions.

Dont forget the idiots who are bringing you the Cup Final in december are also the ones who put the the Final in tolka :mad: and not too long ago had 2 legged semi finals!

Agree about saturday as all your home games should be but its live on the box friday night.

KOH

monkey magic
29/09/2005, 11:59 AM
Also like the League Cup Final the Cup semis should be played in neutral venues. For Cork v Derry it should be in Longford

:D christ we might actually get a crowd for that one :D

Roo69
29/09/2005, 12:18 PM
The Bray Vs. Drogs match will be on a Sunday, should be a Saturday as the other match is on Friday night. Both matches are live on TV

dortie
29/09/2005, 5:50 PM
Any Cork fans know how many tickets we will get ??? In 2002 we had around 400 fans down, i reckon we will match that if not more this time. My flights booked already :cool: :D

RĂ©iteoir
30/09/2005, 7:41 AM

Just done a small experiment in Autoroute - realistically a neutral venue should be half way between the two competing clubs:

Cork - Derry: Played in Athlone

Bray - Drogheda: Played at the Morton Stadium

:D