PDA

View Full Version : Surely Garreth O'Connor for Liam Miller?

Shelsman
28/09/2005, 12:36 PM
Surely Garreth O'Connor should be in the Ireland squad ahead of Liam Miller?

Miller has had one substitute appearance this season, O'Connor has played 10 games in the championship for Burnley and scored 4 goals ( was that his fifth last night? ). Pretty good for a midfielder although some were penos. Doyle has scored just three but I'm delighted he's in the squad.

That would make another ex-eL player in the Ireland squad :) .

superfrank
28/09/2005, 3:00 PM
I used to play at his schoolboy club, Wolfetone. What happened to him at Stoke?

Roverstillidie
28/09/2005, 3:30 PM
he used to play for rovers so i want him in. but he also played for the filth, so i wouldnt. so that balances it out and i get to judge him on merit!
GO'C playing championship ball after a transfer up a division. playing well with confidence.
Miller rotting in one of man utd reserve sides. done **** all in 2 years.
why would he be taking the ****?

drummerboy
28/09/2005, 3:33 PM
There are two O’Connors playing for Burnley, James O’Connor ex-Stoke and Gareth O’Connor, ex Rovers, Bohs and Bournmouth.

finlma
28/09/2005, 3:42 PM
Alan Quinn before either of them.

concanta
28/09/2005, 3:47 PM
i honestly believe quinn shoudl be in the next ireland team

Stuttgart88
28/09/2005, 3:56 PM
I said this earlier: Quinn is really unlucky not to be included. Kerr is doing Miller no favours by sending him the message playing for United's reserves all season doesn't affect his interntional chances. I wonder has Kerr spoken to Ferguson about Miller, and what MUFC's plans are for him.

tetsujin1979
28/09/2005, 4:26 PM
I said this earlier: Quinn is really unlucky not to be included. Kerr is doing Miller no favours by sending him the message playing for United's reserves all season doesn't affect his interntional chances. I wonder has Kerr spoken to Ferguson about Miller, and what MUFC's plans are for him.
Connolly is the example to show Miller - dropped from the side, picked up his form, transfer to a higher division, now back in the side

zinedineontour
28/09/2005, 5:22 PM
I thought it was the ginger james who was doing the biz for burnley ... anyway alan quinn has been excellent last season and this and should be the one really gutted to see miller in the squad.

superfrank
28/09/2005, 5:48 PM
Sorry, I was thinking of James O'Connor.

RedX
28/09/2005, 10:56 PM
I have to say its a very strange decision to put Miller in ahead of Alan Quinn..Quinn is playing regularly for Sheffield United who are doing very well right now in the Championship..Miller does not see any 1st team football and cannot be at his sharpest if introduced during the game..Obviously Kerr thinks Miller is better but when he is not playing every week how could he put him in an International squad..

Superhoops
28/09/2005, 11:48 PM
Sorry, I was thinking of James O'Connor.
Des O'Connor would be better than Miller!!!

drummerboy
29/09/2005, 8:29 AM
Agree about Quinn been more deserving of a place in the squad than Miller. Quinn has had a couple of decent appearances for Ireland, ie Holland. I honestly can't remember Miller playing well at full-international level.

pete
29/09/2005, 8:57 AM
Neither Miller or Quinn (if was in squad) have any hope of playing in either game. Irish squad has a lot of midfielders.

Irish_Praha
30/09/2005, 3:33 PM
[QUOTE=pete]

Irish_Praha
30/09/2005, 3:34 PM
Neither Miller or Quinn (if was in squad) have any hope of playing in either game. Irish squad has a lot of midfielders.

I agree about Miller but Quinn should have a good chance of playing some part in the games.
Our realistic CMF options, now that Roy is out, are Stephen Reid, Kilbane, Kavanagh, Miller, Holland and Quinn. It's too early for the likes of Joey O'Brien. So out of the 6 players mentioned Holland and Miller havent even had a full 90 mins first team action between the two of them. It would be a big risk to play either of these from the start as they would be off the pace. Kilbane is seriously out of form and is not a natural CMF player. Although I wouldn't mind seeing him come on as a sub late on in the game as his pace and energy might force a few mistakes from the opposition. So that only leaves Kavanagh, Quinn and Reid to fill 2 positions. I think quinn will be added to the squad at some stage and should have every chance of coming on as a sub or starting one of the games. However, knowing Kerr he will probably stick with Kilbane, hoping that he will eventually have his first decent game since his performance against France :rolleyes:

TheJamaicanP.M.
30/09/2005, 5:25 PM
Des O'Connor would be better than Miller!!!

Me thinks both Blacky and Johnny Connors (formerly of Glenroe) would be better than Miller.:D

youngirish
30/09/2005, 5:59 PM
Jimmy Connors - top tennis player and athlete. I'm sure he could do a job for us and he probably plays more football than Miller these days.

Irish_Praha
30/09/2005, 8:12 PM
Well Garreth just scored again tonight against wolves.

Irish_Praha
30/09/2005, 8:35 PM
Ben Burgess scored too :) Alan Dunne almost scored for Millwall but it got a touch from another Milwall player on the way in.

robbie_B
02/10/2005, 4:49 PM
Burnley star eyes Irish chance

October 2, 2005

Burnley winger Garreth O’Connor feels time is on his side in a bid to make a belated impact at senior international level.

O’Connor, 26, made his name in the eircom League with Bohemians before spending five seasons in the English lower divisions with Bournemouth.

An exceptional season with the Cherries last season paved the way for a summer switch to the Coca-Cola Championship, and his career has maintained his upward graph, with the Dubliner firing five goals in nine Clarets appearances to date – including the only goal in Friday night’s surprise away win over Wolves.

And O’Connor feels that the call-up of Reading striker Kevin Doyle to Brian Kerr’s Irish squad earlier in the week gives him a chance of making the step-up to that level in the future.

He said: “I don’t think Brian Kerr has seen any of my games because I would imagine I would have heard. But I saw Kevin got a call-up. Fair play to him, I played against him and he looked like a good player.

“It’s a big ambition of mine to play for Ireland, and if I keep scoring goals in this division you never know.

“It’s not as though I’m 30 and time is running out. All I can do is keep playing well. I have improved a lot, especially over the last year or so because I realised I needed to be more focused.”

Stuttgart88
03/10/2005, 9:52 AM
Ben Burgess scored too :)
Bloody great goal - did you see it?

OwlsFan
03/10/2005, 9:58 AM

I agree. I have seen Quinn play many times for Wednesday. I regret to say he's not international class. Busy midfielder but still behind Kavanagh/Holland/Kilbane/ in the pecking order and I appreciate that they may not be international class either. Miller is further back again without any first team games under his belt.

Irish_Praha
03/10/2005, 10:47 AM
Bloody great goal - did you see it?

No heard it was good though

tetsujin1979
03/10/2005, 12:11 PM
No heard it was good though
Looped a header over the keeper from just inside the area, top notch strike
He's mainly been coming on as a sub for Hull this season, which is understandable after so long out last season, and it's really encouraging that he's still scoring.