PDA

View Full Version : Kerr in limbo as FAI keep silent over new deal

Pages : [1] 2

thejollyrodger
28/09/2005, 7:41 AM
Kerr in limbo as FAI keep silent over new deal
http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=94&si=1476370&issue_id=13055

IRELAND team manager Brian Kerr has admitted that he is in the dark about his future.

Kerr's contract, which began at the end of January 2003, is due expire when Ireland's interest in the 2006 World Cup ends.

While Group Four rivals Switzerland decided to award their coach Kobi Kuhn with a new contract that will run until the end of Euro 2008, Kerr doesn't know what the FAI's thoughts on his future are.

"The chief executive has said that he won't speak about it publicly. I am endeavouring to find out about it privately and I have nothing else to say on it," said Kerr yesterday.

Last night the FAI again reiterated their stance that they do not talk about the contract of any of their employees in public.

Any decision on Kerr's future will be taken by the FAI's Board of Management as has been the case with all his predecessors.

With Ireland's chances of reaching next summer's World Cup Finals in Germany hanging in the balance the Board are likely to wait until the dust from the qualifiers and play-offs has settled before dealing with the issue.

Kerr was appointed in January 2003 after six successful years as international youth team manager during which time he guided teams to unprecedented success in World and European competition.

He revived the Euro 2004 campaign on his appointment and brought Ireland to within a whisker of qualifying for Portugal after losing their opening two games of the campaign.

He also guided the team to their highest FIFA World Ranking in years when they reached 12th place this year and the current World Cup campaign was proceeding according to plan until hiccups against Israel and France.

If Ireland fail to reach the November play-offs then Kerr will face an uphill battle to hold on to a job that he once described as "the best in the world".

Kerr's future is going to be one of the sideshows attached to Ireland's final two Group Four games against Cyprus and Switzerland next month.

They are must-win games for Ireland and Kerr says he won't allow speculation over his future to distract him from his mission.

"I am totally focused on the job at hand. We have two matches left in the group and if we win the two games it could put us in a good position to be either in the play-offs or to actually win the group depending on how the results go.

"That is what I am focused on, that is what the team is focused on and the staff so it is not a distraction."

Gerry McDermott

Personaly I'm in favour of the FAIlures position, not that I have anythign against Kerr but I dont think contracts should be given out likes sweets. Mc Carthy got way too much time on the job and he was a slow learner. Every other european country just gives contracts until the end of the current qualifcation.

tetsujin1979
28/09/2005, 9:34 AM
Every other european country just gives contracts until the end of the current qualifcation.
Switzerland just extended the contract of their coach. Like it or not, it does give him a public vote of confidence, and it will take a load off his mind. I do wonder if thinking about his new contract (or the lack thereof) will take Brian Kerr's eye off the ball in the next 2 games.

gspain
28/09/2005, 9:50 AM
Switzerland don't have qualifiers for Euro2008.

The jury is still out on Kerr. Some good, some bad.

We'd look pretty daft extending his contract and then drawing with Cyprus or putting up a performance v Switzerland like Basle 2003.

If we make the playoffs I think he should be given a new contract. If we fail then make the decision in October.

wallis
28/09/2005, 10:09 AM
Yes , you beat me to it - Switzerland do not have any qualifiers which is why he has a new contract.

I doubt Brian is under any illusions or extra pressure - he knows deep down that it is unlikely he will keep the position. I wish he would as god only knows who the FAI would replace him with. I think BK has done a good job but is going to end up being slaughtered for the Israel result if we dont qualify.

Were we not only one vote away from obtaining the fabulous talents of Bryan Robson ??

Anyway its academic - two wins and its play-off time

Cowboy
28/09/2005, 10:28 AM

We'd look pretty daft extending his contract and then drawing with Cyprus or putting up a performance v Switzerland like Basle 2003.

If we make the playoffs I think he should be given a new contract. If we fail then make the decision in October.

OT u looked good as the little boy in those photos on tv :)

Cowboy
28/09/2005, 10:30 AM
Were we not only one vote away from obtaining the fabulous talents of Bryan Robson ??

Yes Delaneys vote, the same person who is whining behind closed doors about the money that Kerr spends on the team.

thejollyrodger
28/09/2005, 10:32 AM
No compromising from Kerr
28/09/2005 - 11:10:24

Republic of Ireland boss Brian Kerr has promised an all-or-nothing approach in a bid to reach next summer’s World Cup finals.

Kerr yesterday named a 24-man squad for the final two Group Four qualifying matches in Cyprus on October 8 and at Lansdowne Road against Switzerland five days later.

Following defeat to France earlier this month, Kerr and his players now find themselves in a must-win situation for both games, knowing they have to pick up six points to clinch at least a play-off place.

Kerr is unfortunately without inspirational midfielder Roy Keane for the two fixtures after the Manchester United captain recently broke a metatarsal bone in his left foot.

To add to his woes, Crystal Palace striker Clinton Morrison and Tottenham winger Andy Reid are suspended for the game with the Cypriots in Nicosia.

It is why Wigan striker David Connolly has been recalled after two years in the international wilderness, while Reading forward Kevin Doyle has been included in the squad for the first time.

Kerr knows Cyprus will prove far more awkward opponents compared to the side beaten 3-0 in the opening game of the campaign a year ago, as he said: “They changed their manager mid-stream, and it looks like they have improved.

“They gave Switzerland two awkward games, and were probably unfortunate to lose away, so they’ve a bit going for them as they also won in the Faroes 3-0, while everybody else has only beaten them 2-0.

“Their club teams have improved dramatically in the European rankings, so they are capable and dangerous, but we have to do our stuff because we are capable of winning the match.

“Every match we’ve played in the group we’ve approached it trying to win. We’ve been very positive.

“Looking at the games individually and impartially, we’ve put out attacking teams and players in every match. We’ve gone to try and win, home and away.

“We’ve had a go, with three, four and sometimes five attacking players on the pitch, so there won’t be any change in approach, philosophy or mentality for these games.”

But a shadow could be cast over the double header if Kerr’s contract situation is not resolved soon as he remains in the dark over his future.

Kerr made it clear earlier this year he did not want to go into the final group games uncertain of his situation – but that is exactly the prospect facing him as the Football Association of Ireland are clearly stonewalling

When quizzed on the subject, a frustrated Kerr snapped: “The chief executive [John Delaney] has said he won’t speak about it publicly, and I am endeavouring to find out about it privately.”

But Kerr is adamant he remains “totally focused on the job in hand” and added: “We’ve two matches left in the group and if we win them it could put us in a good position to either be in the play-offs or to actually win the group, depending on how other results go.

“That’s what I am focused on, and that’s what the team and staff are focused on, so it is not a distraction.”

When then questioned on whether he would like to continue as Ireland manager, a clearly disgruntled Kerr retorted: “I won’t say anything more about it. I’ve said all I have to say, but the association know my feelings.”

No disrespect to the Choclate makers but Switzerland are hardly a world beater. They arent a footballing nation and i dont think Ireland should be looking to them for an example to follow.

No future manager / CEO / anyone else should cost the FAIlure ( and thus the taxpayer ) money in the future. Contracts should just be given to the end of the current qualification campaign. Were not a charity, we have to qualify for all the major championships.

Stuttgart88
28/09/2005, 10:45 AM
From the article:

He revived the Euro 2004 campaign on his appointment and brought Ireland to within a whisker of qualifying for Portugal after losing their opening two games of the campaign.

No he didn't. Total bloody fallacy.

But that's neither here nor there. This is a scurrilous article, creating mischief and negativity when none is required. So what if the Swiss extend their manager's contract? What's that got to do with us & our manager's position?

livehead1
28/09/2005, 11:42 AM
Draw With Albania

Stuttgart88
28/09/2005, 11:48 AM
Draw With Albania
I actually heard the word "miracle" used after we moved up the table from bottom to 4th to 3rd.

Too many people with only a fleeting interest are in a position to infuence public opinion.

NeilMcD
28/09/2005, 12:52 PM

Have to agree totally. I would have described myself as a fan of Kerr however the facts speak for themselves. We finished 3rd in the last qualifiers, the 1st time since 1985. If it happens again that we finish 3rd I think he will have to go. However if we get to the playoffs and go out thats when the hard decision has to be made. I think its as simple as the following

Qualify He stays
3rd Place, He goes
Go out in the play off fifity fifty on whether he stays or not, depends on the manner of the defeat.

wallis
28/09/2005, 1:29 PM
Unfortunately (and it was the same in the run-up to France), we are going to be subjected to constant media reports with no substance to them and whose only objective is to stir up trouble and mistrust .

If Im honest I dont see the reasoning behind changing the manager. For all the whining on this forum and others about selections , tactics etc I dont believe Kerr has done anything different to what supporters wanted.

There was a lot of garbage spoke about who should have been playing in the side (all good aftertiming of course after the results of the matches). We have people suggesting that players who ply their trade in lower divsions should be selected over proven premiership players. We have other lower division players being touted as a better option than guys who have Champions League experience etc etc. The facts are we have a limited side at the moment. There are a couple of genuinely 'special' international players and the rest are all what I would call 'solid' - not spectacular in what they do but certainly capable at this level. The trouble is , there are not enough of them about. With one or two exceptions we would all pick the same side as BK going into the games. It is not his fault that JOS handballs against the Israelies or that the goalkeeper plays the game of his life.

I doubt if anyone can honestly say we were second best or outplayed by any team in our group. One or two things havent fallen in our favour but have in others (Swiss last minute winner against Cyprus for example). You can argue all day long about tactics for games but I dont think BK made any mistakes barring the Keane injury against Israel and even then just how many chances did we need to still win that game. He is not responsible for Henrys 25 yarder, the Israeli dream-strike in the 1-1 draw or us not beating the French in Paris.

When I look back at the campaign I can pinpoint the occassions where it went wrong and none of them are the fault of the manager in the same way McCarthy should not have been held responsible for the Macedonia incident. It is the players on the pitch that need to perform and although it is not ideal we are still in with a chance. If we finish second to France I would say thats exactly where 90% of us thought we would be a year ago. If that is where we end up then win or lose in the play offs I think BK would have taken the team to exactly the stage I expected them to be.

We do have a next generation of possible stars coming through like Kevin Doyle and at the other end we will lose more established players like Roy. Someone has to make that transition over the next few years and I would prefer BK who has worked with them previously , than letting the FAI appoint a manager with no idea of the irish set-up/attitude whatever you want to call it. Whether we want to accept it or not Ireland is way short on world class and even shorter on strength in depth I dont see a change of manager making a difference. It does make a difference in a situation like Englands where you have a huge pool of quality to pick from and can therefore select different formations, different players depending on the opposition and have plenty of cover in all areas but that is not how Ireland is built at this time.

Would a change in manager make a difference to us ? would we become a better team ? Im not so sure. Going into the last two games my thoughts are not 'is the manager good enough ?' but 'are our players good enough' ?

thejollyrodger
28/09/2005, 2:25 PM
Would a change in manager make a difference to us ? would we become a better team ? Im not so sure. Going into the last two games my thoughts are not 'is the manager good enough ?' but 'are our players good enough' ?

I agree totally. Its the fact that we dont have world class players like we used to with Roy is the problem. The public was sold a lie that this Irish team are good when clearly they are just average English PL quality (and that doesnt say much in fairness).

drinkfeckarse
28/09/2005, 2:30 PM
I do wonder if thinking about his new contract (or the lack thereof) will take Brian Kerr's eye off the ball in the next 2 games.

It shouldn't....would be very unprofessional of him if it did and would only prove the point that he wasn't up to it.

onenilgameover
28/09/2005, 4:21 PM
Qualify He stays
3rd Place, He goes
Go out in the play off fifity fifty on whether he stays or not, depends on the manner of the defeat.

That's exactly what will happen I reckon....and probably right to do so aswell. i think the disappointment of not qualifying will push that fifty to sixty and he will get the boot even if we lose in the qualifiers. well it would in my book...

NeilMcD
28/09/2005, 4:29 PM
I agree totally. Its the fact that we dont have world class players like we used to with Roy is the problem. The public was sold a lie that this Irish team are good when clearly they are just average English PL quality (and that doesnt say much in fairness).

Who sold this idea.

onenilgameover
28/09/2005, 4:36 PM
Twas sky sports! their graphics are so very eye catching!

Lionel Ritchie
28/09/2005, 5:30 PM
Originally Posted by tetsujin1979
I do wonder if thinking about his new contract (or the lack thereof) will take Brian Kerr's eye off the ball in the next 2 games.

It shouldn't....would be very unprofessional of him if it did and would only prove the point that he wasn't up to it.

I'd like to think that not giving the man a free lunch voucher will concentrate his mind on the task of getting us to Germany (and by logical extention getting him his new contract).

youngirish
28/09/2005, 6:02 PM
It is not his fault that JOS handballs against the Israelies or that the goalkeeper plays the game of his life.

I'd say his tendency to try to hang on to 1 goal leads against far inferior teams has cost us a fair few points in fairness (he did it against Israel twice and in Switzerland when we went ahead). Also his substitutions have been s**t and have never worked once in the entire campaign.

Everyone can say what they want about Kerr but the fact is if we don't finish at least second in this group then it is his fault because we definitely have far better players than Israel and slightly better players than Switzerland.

Qwerty
28/09/2005, 10:32 PM
This really shouldn't even be a topic for discussion, the FAI should have given Kerr a contract to cover all the qualifying games and any play-off games. They did the same stupid thing with McCarthy, Mick then had them over a barrel for his fees for the Iran game, how amateur are these guys? :confused:

pineapple stu
28/09/2005, 10:36 PM
Qualify He stays
3rd Place, He goes
Hard to disagree with that, to be honest.

The problem is that it appears Delaney wants Kerr out so he can install his preferred manager (i.e. one who spends all his time in England and comes over to Ireland for the internationals only). In that respect, any play-off defeat could cost him his job. Just be grateful Bryan Robson's employed at the moment! :eek:

RedX
28/09/2005, 10:47 PM
I would take Mick McCarthy back in the morning just to get rid of Kerr..i think a lot of the craic of even supporting the Irish team has gone since he came in..he is a very negative guy with his tactics and he bores the hell out of me..he had absolutely no experience at top level football before he came in and should never have been given the job in the first place..he did well with the young lads and thats where he should go back to but it would be hard to see him do that if sacked..there are quiet a few of the regular Internationals that have disimproved since he took over also..Isreal are average..France have not played as poor in a group in years..Switzerland are average..and we are struggling...Kerr must not be offered a new deal...

tetsujin1979
28/09/2005, 11:08 PM
I would take Mick McCarthy back in the morning just to get rid of Kerr
Tough, he's employed

i think a lot of the craic of even supporting the Irish team has gone since he came in
Ask the lads who met the team out after the Faroes game, or the crowd that outsang the French in Paris

he is a very negative guy with his tactics and he bores the hell out of me
Most people say the same about Mourinho

he had absolutely no experience at top level football before he came in and should never have been given the job in the first place
Ditto Klinsmann at Germany, Rijkaard at Holland, Van Basten at Holland, Hughes at Wales.
Who would you have had in? He was the best available at the time.

he did well with the young lads and thats where he should go back to but it would be hard to see him do that if sacked
I'd prefer to see him in an overseeing role, not managing any particular team but ensuring the development of players and facilities around the country

there are quiet a few of the regular Internationals that have disimproved since he took over also
Hardly Kerr's fault

Isreal are average..France have not played as poor in a group in years..Switzerland are average
All 3 teams are unbeaten, all 3 can't be that bad.

and we are struggling...Kerr must not be offered a new deal
Keep your opinion until the qualifying series is over

RedX
28/09/2005, 11:26 PM
Keep your opinion until the qualifying series is over

I can speak my opinion at anytime before or after any game lad..and thank you for disecting my whole post and reply with the biggest waffle i have read in a while..

You state the likes of Klinsman at Germany and Hughes when managing Wales had no experience?..oh and Van Basten and Rijkaard also..maybe not to much experience managing but you are talking about masters of there craft with years of playing football both at club and International level..thats experience!

Do you honestly think i was serious about Mc Carthy?

And just that all three teams...Isreal,France and the Swiss are unbeaten at the moment does not prove your point that they are bot great...France by there own admission are playing terrible..thats why thye begged former players to return..Switzerland are slightly above average but are well beatable..Isreal are having a good group but are also well beatable..where was your point?..

Now if you are to reply to my post please make some points and stop talking complete drivel.. :rolleyes:

Cowboy
28/09/2005, 11:56 PM
Do you honestly think i was serious about Mc Carthy?

why not, you made no indication to the contrary? How are we to know exatly what your position is?

Cowboy
28/09/2005, 11:59 PM
Now if you are to reply to my post please make some points and stop talking complete drivel.. :rolleyes:

I thought the points you made were responded to in a like manner, because you disagree does not constitute them as "drivel" to use your description.

skbio_toronto
29/09/2005, 3:25 AM
My tuppence worth.

This thread has reflected the general trigger happy approach that the modern day football fan has with their teams manager. Since when so we have the right to 'expect' qualification in every group we participate in. This seems to be the expectation of many of ye out there. Facts of the matter are:

a. We've one fo the smallest player pools in Europe to choose from.
b. In spite of signinficant improvements in recent years. We don't have a strong domestic league.
c. The governing body (FAI) are traditionally one of the most chaotic, unorgainised bunch of blazers known to the sporting world.

Yes in my life time. We have qualified for one Euro Championship and three World Cups - a remarkable achievement given the above factors. This success (and yes qualifying for these tournaments does qualify as a success) has artificially heigthtened expectaions amongst many of us. Make no mistake, we're no Germany, Spain or Italy. Qualifying for any of these tournaments is a tremendous achievemetn for Ireland that takes much perspiration, skill and fortitude.

Relating to Brian Kerr's tenure so far. What are we crticising him for. The insipidness of the players in Basle. The substitutions he's made. Has he brought the jobs positon into disrepute ala Ericsson. Has there been an outstanding decision of ineptitude we can all agree on. (e.g. McCarthy not realising we were playing against 10 men in WC '04)

In my opinion... no. Lets see how these two games go. It will indeed define the Kerr era thus far. Until then, lets get back to supporting Ireland and less of the conspiracy theories.

Marked Man
29/09/2005, 4:18 AM
The post is supposed to be about Kerr. So what's the story with the postings slagging off McCarthy? The man had his flaws of course, but still. Just for the record, he is, after Jack Charlton, our most successful manager ever. People should remember that.

OwlsFan
29/09/2005, 9:15 AM
Yes Delaneys vote, the same person who is whining behind closed doors about the money that Kerr spends on the team.

If he is whinging behind closed doors, how do you know about it ?

eirebhoy
29/09/2005, 10:53 AM
I'd say his tendency to try to hang on to 1 goal leads against far inferior teams has cost us a fair few points in fairness (he did it against Israel twice and in Switzerland when we went ahead).
He did it against Switzerland and Israel? Certainly not Switzerland. Israel is questionable but the after match quotes seem to show that Kerr didn't tell them to sit back.

Roy: “In saying that, we should still have killed the game off. We could have done more in the second half in terms of possession and testing their goalkeeper."

Kerr: “We didn’t create a whole lot, and could have been more incisive going forward"

Kav: "it certainly wasn't a conscious effort on the lads to sit back and defend deep"

I have searched for a certain quote a load of times without success but Kerr said he told the players at half time to push up and create more. The main objective was to keep possession, unfortunately the players thought this meant sacrifising creating chances. The ironic thing is that someone on this forum said that Israel got possession for their goal because of a shot from an Irish player.

stickyjoe
29/09/2005, 11:00 AM
Kerr hasn`t covered himself in glory so far. He didnt impress in the Euro 2004 qualifiers for the 6 games he was in charge and so far in this campaign we`ve been far too defensive for my liking and have only won 3 games(Faroes cyprus).

At the end of the day I dont care how boring/defensive we are so long as we qualify. So from where I`m standing if we qualify give Kerr a new 2 year contract and if we don`t qualify he is gone

Cowboy
29/09/2005, 11:08 AM
If he is whinging behind closed doors, how do you know about it ?

Because he was not talking to himself, you dont seriously expect me to tell you who told me this do you?

mjpcc
29/09/2005, 12:54 PM
Unfortunately (and it was the same in the run-up to France), we are going to be subjected to constant media reports with no substance to them and whose only objective is to stir up trouble and mistrust .

If Im honest I dont see the reasoning behind changing the manager. For all the whining on this forum and others about selections , tactics etc I dont believe Kerr has done anything different to what supporters wanted.

There was a lot of garbage spoke about who should have been playing in the side (all good aftertiming of course after the results of the matches). We have people suggesting that players who ply their trade in lower divsions should be selected over proven premiership players. We have other lower division players being touted as a better option than guys who have Champions League experience etc etc. The facts are we have a limited side at the moment. There are a couple of genuinely 'special' international players and the rest are all what I would call 'solid' - not spectacular in what they do but certainly capable at this level. The trouble is , there are not enough of them about. With one or two exceptions we would all pick the same side as BK going into the games. It is not his fault that JOS handballs against the Israelies or that the goalkeeper plays the game of his life.

I doubt if anyone can honestly say we were second best or outplayed by any team in our group. One or two things havent fallen in our favour but have in others (Swiss last minute winner against Cyprus for example). You can argue all day long about tactics for games but I dont think BK made any mistakes barring the Keane injury against Israel and even then just how many chances did we need to still win that game. He is not responsible for Henrys 25 yarder, the Israeli dream-strike in the 1-1 draw or us not beating the French in Paris.

When I look back at the campaign I can pinpoint the occassions where it went wrong and none of them are the fault of the manager in the same way McCarthy should not have been held responsible for the Macedonia incident. It is the players on the pitch that need to perform and although it is not ideal we are still in with a chance. If we finish second to France I would say thats exactly where 90% of us thought we would be a year ago. If that is where we end up then win or lose in the play offs I think BK would have taken the team to exactly the stage I expected them to be.

We do have a next generation of possible stars coming through like Kevin Doyle and at the other end we will lose more established players like Roy. Someone has to make that transition over the next few years and I would prefer BK who has worked with them previously , than letting the FAI appoint a manager with no idea of the irish set-up/attitude whatever you want to call it. Whether we want to accept it or not Ireland is way short on world class and even shorter on strength in depth I dont see a change of manager making a difference. It does make a difference in a situation like Englands where you have a huge pool of quality to pick from and can therefore select different formations, different players depending on the opposition and have plenty of cover in all areas but that is not how Ireland is built at this time.

agree totally ................. well said

colster
29/09/2005, 2:10 PM
I would take Mick McCarthy back in the morning just to get rid of Kerr..i think a lot of the craic of even supporting the Irish team has gone since he came in..he is a very negative guy with his tactics and he bores the hell out of me..he had absolutely no experience at top level football before he came in and should never have been given the job in the first place..he did well with the young lads and thats where he should go back to but it would be hard to see him do that if sacked..there are quiet a few of the regular Internationals that have disimproved since he took over also..Isreal are average..France have not played as poor in a group in years..Switzerland are average..and we are struggling...Kerr must not be offered a new deal...

Can you give me an example where Kerr has picked the wrong team or used some bizarre tactic?
Can you tell me what another manager would improve upon?
Can you give an example where Kerr has shown his top-flight inexperience?
How is Kerr the reason for an Irish player disimproving? Name the players
Kerr has been responsible for some players improving e.g. Morrisson, Kilbane (up until recently) etc.

The problem with Ireland is with the players he has at his disposal. The central midfield is a huge problem. We're playing a 34 yr old on his last legs and a converted winger who can't keep possession in a tight game. We also miss a Niall Quinn type to knock long balls to which would help to cover up deficiencies in the midfield.
Even so we are still in with a shout of qualifying. Most of us would have taken that when the group was drawn.

Stuttgart88
29/09/2005, 2:15 PM
Even so we are still unbeaten
Thank God for that. I had this terrible nightmare that we lost to France recently! :)

NeilMcD
29/09/2005, 2:20 PM
Yeah it was a good post up until then

colster
29/09/2005, 2:21 PM
Thank God for that. I had this terrible nightmare that we lost to France recently! :)

Sorry about that!! :o
Changed it. Get really frustrated with some of the rantings about Kerr.
I think he's done a pretty good job and should be given contract to the 2010 WC.

Peadar
29/09/2005, 2:27 PM
I think that regardless of the manager, we'd have struggled in this campaign. We just don't have the quality up front to punish teams.

The future doesn't look bright at the moment.
All we can hope for is Pele getting Damien Duffs ma pregnant with sextuplets while we all save up for the World Cup 2022. :(

colster
29/09/2005, 2:41 PM
I think that regardless of the manager, we'd have struggled in this campaign. We just don't have the quality up front to punish teams.

The future doesn't look bright at the moment.
All we can hope for is Pele getting Damien Duffs ma pregnant with sextuplets while we all save up for the World Cup 2022. :(

I think we have reasons to be optimistic for 2010. We have a number of promising players Whelan, Ireland, O'Brien, Garvan, Potter, Doyle, McShane, Kelly, Stokes, McGeady, O'Dea etc.

Lionel Ritchie
29/09/2005, 3:41 PM
Yeah it was a good post up until then

I thought it was fine up until he went long ball myself. :)

regardless of having a Quinny type or not we're STILL knocking long balls ...and it's tactically bankrupt in international football as it is on the school pitch.

Peadar
29/09/2005, 3:45 PM
Whelan, Ireland, O'Brien, Garvan, Potter, Doyle, McShane, Kelly, Stokes, McGeady, O'Dea etc.

I doubt any of them will be better than what we already have. :(

Stuttgart88
29/09/2005, 4:00 PM
I think we have reasons to be optimistic for 2010. We have a number of promising players Whelan, Ireland, O'Brien, Garvan, Potter, Doyle, McShane, Kelly, Stokes, McGeady, O'Dea etc.
That's the great thing (or worst thing!) about being an Ireland fan: perpetually speculating about the young player pipeline. I'm quite excited by the above but I've been predicting great things for years now :)

I yearn for the day when the domestic league (as envisaged by Genesis) can produce / retain more players for the international squad or, as totalfootball advocates, the continent becomes a popular option for our young players to ply their trade. Then I think we may have fewer disappointments, and maybe more positive surprises.

colster
29/09/2005, 4:25 PM
I thought it was fine up until he went long ball myself. :)

regardless of having a Quinny type or not we're STILL knocking long balls ...and it's tactically bankrupt in international football as it is on the school pitch.

I didn't mean it as a desirable thing. I meant that knocking long balls to Niall Quinn is a lot more productive than to Morrisson, Keane or even Doherty? Use of the long is still useful but not majorly so. I.E. it shouldn't the sole mode of attack.
We're forced into it at the moment through a lack of nous in midfield

colster
29/09/2005, 4:32 PM
That's the great thing (or worst thing!) about being an Ireland fan: perpetually speculating about the young player pipeline. I'm quite excited by the above but I've been predicting great things for years now :)

I yearn for the day when the domestic league (as envisaged by Genesis) can produce / retain more players for the international squad or, as totalfootball advocates, the continent becomes a popular option for our young players to ply their trade. Then I think we may have fewer disappointments, and maybe more positive surprises.

If Ireland are to progress at all we need a top league. If an Irish team can make it into the CL it could make all the difference. I think we'd need an Irish Abramovich for that to happen.

Lionel Ritchie
30/09/2005, 10:05 AM
I didn't mean it as a desirable thing. I meant that knocking long balls to Niall Quinn is a lot more productive than to Morrisson, Keane or even Doherty? Use of the long is still useful but not majorly so. I.E. it shouldn't the sole mode of attack.
We're forced into it at the moment through a lack of nous in midfield

Ah yeah, we should have it in our bag of tricks alright when you've got boys like the Doc on the bench -but too often in this tournament we've tried it when ...to go all Dunphy for a moment ...the softer word strongly spoken might've been the way to go i.e. get it down on the grass and pass it.

That said I think Morrisson's quite good at holding the ball up ...not quite in the Viduka league at it but very handy that way none the less.

For opposition like Cyprus though -I've said already I'd personally go with Connolly -not because he's flavour of the month but because he's the right kind of player for the task in hand -notwithstanding the reluctance to put him on with Keane.

ccfcman
02/10/2005, 11:42 AM
The great paper that is the Indo, gave Kerr a week, relative to his future results in yesterday's Paper :S

thejollyrodger
02/10/2005, 11:51 AM
The Indo is a big pile of horse sh1t most of the time... some of the stuff they write is pathetic. They couldnt analyise a tiddle winks competition. Personally I think the FAIlure is all about personalities and little about football. But I do agree that a manager should only be given a contract to the end of the current campaign. We cant afford to miss any other major competitions again.

shakermaker1982
02/10/2005, 7:33 PM
If we finish 3rd or 4th then I think it's time to look elsewhere. Maybe Martin O Neil would give it some consideration. Other than that there aren't too many options for us, how he copes with the two BIG games next week is gonna be the making or breaking of him. Good luck to him, if we beat the Swiss and Cyprus then he's the man for me !!!

thejollyrodger
02/10/2005, 7:44 PM
Did anyone notice that Liam Brady more or less did a U turn on Kerr in a space of a week.

He said a week or two ago that failure to get us to the world cup meant that Kerr should pack up his bags. This week he is bluring the line and making excuses for Kerr. Personally I think he is changing his tack in case Roy Keane ( who delaney loves) gets the job. He would rather see Kerr in the job than Roy.

That is what I make of his rant in the Tribune. It just goes to show how fickle the papers are. The indo has it in for Kerr while the Irish Times backs Kerr.

The Irish Times probably backs Kerr because of the Judas act they did out in Saipan and all the back stabbing at Mac Carthys after the world cup (not that Im complaining, I thought Mick had brought the team as far as he could)

Qwerty
02/10/2005, 8:14 PM
I didn't see last weeks article but I don't read today article as being in any way pro-Kerr, it is quite anti-Kerr saying effectively that Kerr has failed to prepare the team mentally and much of that may be down to the return of Roy Keane who has not made the expected impact. I don't realy know how much of it is true but the simple fact as I look at it now is that we really have not made progress over this WC campaign and the last EC campaign, it's all or nothing now for Kerr.

One thing in the article I do agree with is this: Because during this qualifying campaign there hasn't been the same sort of team spirit and positive attitude that characterised the Irish displays in Japan and Korea. No real belief, not enough enthusiasm, not enough urgency. For a football nation that has always had to punch above its weight, those traits are a must if success is to be achieved.