PDA

View Full Version : Would Doyle be interviewed by Newstalk if he was still in the EL?

redgav
27/09/2005, 8:08 PM
Now thats a more important quetion than the Ireland one

I reckon thats a big NO

CollegeTillIDie
27/09/2005, 8:27 PM
I reckon you are right a big NO

Slash/ED
27/09/2005, 11:26 PM
They think he's newstalk class because of three goals?

An utter shambles.

Macy
28/09/2005, 6:52 AM
I'd be surprised if the off the ball dicks had heard of him before he got the call up tbh.

Jerry The Saint
28/09/2005, 8:37 AM
Now thats a more important quetion than the Ireland one

I reckon thats a big NO

:D

Here's something I've noticed - it seems that every week when I get into the car after the game and turn on RTE medium wave they're either talking to or talking about Kevin Doyle. They even sent that lad from the Examiner that does the match reports from Turners X over to interview him.

Would that guy have got an all-expenses paid trip to Reading if Kevin Doyle was still playing in the eircom League :confused:

I DOUBT IT! :mad:

ColinR
28/09/2005, 8:44 AM
:D

Would that guy have got an all-expenses paid trip to Reading if Kevin Doyle was still playing in the eircom League :confused:

I DOUBT IT! :mad:

well in fairness, it would be a bit pointless getting an all-expenses paid trip to reading if he was still playing in the eircom league. :rolleyes:

and yes, if he was called into the squad this week whilst still in the eL i reckon they would have interviewed him. sure remember the coverage crowe and byrne got during their illustrious international careers

gspain
28/09/2005, 9:42 AM
In fairness Newstalk have decent EL coverage in their Off the Ball programme. However they refuse to cover EL football in the big shows eg Dunphy or Hook. I rang the Hook show alst year asking why a big game was not mentioned - can't rememebr if it was the Cup final or Shels v Cork to be told it was not their policy to cover EL football in the show as they leave it to the Sports programme. However they have no problem covering foreign football and GAA on Hook and Dunphy.

Jerry The Saint
28/09/2005, 10:32 AM
well in fairness, it would be a bit pointless getting an all-expenses paid trip to reading if he was still playing in the eircom league. :rolleyes:

I don't know about that, I hear it's a lovely spot. Kevin Doyle obviously thinks so - why would he move there if it wasn't? He certainly didn't leave Cork to play at a higher standard of football, at least we can all agree on that.

ColinR
28/09/2005, 10:41 AM
I don't know about that, I hear it's a lovely spot. Kevin Doyle obviously thinks so - why would he move there if it wasn't? He certainly didn't leave Cork to play at a higher standard of football, at least we can all agree on that.

please, will people on this forum ever get over themselves and understand that the championship is a better standard than our league. this is not even worth a debate. the money is better, the facilities are better, the crowds are better - all becuase it is a better standard.

stop deluding ourselves into thinking we are better than we are. with the exception of cork and shels (and possible derry), no team would survive in league one, never mind the championship.

Cosmo
28/09/2005, 10:52 AM
I'd agree with Colin on that - the championship is a far better standard than the EL and anyone that says otherwise is talking complete and utter sh!te - on a week to week basis players are playing against better teams than are in the EL.

However I still think that Doyle deserves his call up and he's good enough to make it at reading - playing there on a week to week basis for a couple of seasons will make him a better player. (would also like to think he'd have got his call up if still playing with cork as playing 4 or 5 matches for reading doesnt change ye that much as a player!!)

tiktok
28/09/2005, 10:54 AM
the money is better, the facilities are better, the crowds are better - all becuase it is a better standard.

The items you list have little to do with the standard I'm afraid.
The main reason for the highwer gates is that the media exposure encourages people to give a fcuk about their local team, something we don't have here, the facilities/money is better because those encouraged to attend put their hands in their pockets.

The crowds are dropping right across the Premiership even though it's clearly a higher standard than the Championship. How would you explain that?

ColinR
28/09/2005, 11:07 AM
The items you list have little to do with the standard I'm afraid.

money is better because the higher standard of player, the scarcer they are to find, so your have to pay better money to get them to play for your club.

the facilities (stadiums, training facilities etc.) - the better the training facilities the easier it comes for players to improve etc.

crowds - the quality of the football is better, so there is a better attraction to go to the games.

The main reason for the highwer gates is that the media exposure encourages people to give a fcuk about their local team, something we don't have here, the facilities/money is better because those encouraged to attend put their hands in their pockets.

so thats why the championship gets excellent crowds, its all the coverage it is given in the media :rolleyes: the championship gets less coverage in the national media in england, than the eL gets in the national media over here. your point just doesn't stand up.

The crowds are dropping right across the Premiership even though it's clearly a higher standard than the Championship. How would you explain that?

the crowds are dropping from record highs as the clubs and the league has gorged itself on money from ticket prices, to over-exposure on tv etc. there are a load of contributory reasons why the crowds are dropping in the premiership - and the standard of football is one (as that has been perceived to have dropped also.)

Colm
28/09/2005, 11:38 AM
the championship gets less coverage in the national media in england, than the eL gets in the national media over here. your point just doesn't stand up.

That's an absolutely ridiculous statement which just makes a mockery of the rest of your points too.

The Championship has at least 2 live games shown every week, even with our new TV deal we still only get about 2 a month shown on average.
The Championship has a highlights show which is shown a number of times every week on Sky sports. It also has a highlights programme on ITV which is shown on Sunday mornings and repeated during the week. We have a half hour show which is shown at 11.30 on a Monday night.
The English print media give far far superior coverage to the championship than the Irish papers give to the EL.
They also have loads of football phone in shows on local radio and on stations like Talksport. We have nothing like that.

monkey magic
28/09/2005, 11:48 AM
That's an absolutely ridiculous statement which just makes a mockery of the rest of your points too.

The Championship has at least 2 live games shown every week, even with our new TV deal we still only get about 2 a month shown on average.
The Championship has a highlights show which is shown a number of times every week on Sky sports. It also has a highlights programme on ITV which is shown on Sunday mornings and repeated during the week. We have a half hour show which is shown at 11.30 on a Monday night.
The English print media give far far superior coverage to the championship than the Irish papers give to the EL.
They also have loads of football phone in shows on local radio and on stations like Talksport. We have nothing like that.

all the above is irrelevant. anyone who thinks the el is on the same footing as the championship is utterly deluded, im sorry but thats just a fact.the madia interest and coverage stems from the fact that the standard of football being played there is pretty high. the championship attrcts more media coverage, and higher attendances than anyone other second tier football league in europe, and more than many top tier leagues(if anyone has the figures, and i know there available, feel free to back me up here) this is simply because it is a professionally ran league where the standard of football is prety high and the facilities are, for the most part top quality.

ColinR
28/09/2005, 11:55 AM
the terrestrial coverage of the championship (i should have specified this) is much worse than the coverage of the eL . both have a highlights programme at terribl viewing times - but there are zero live championship matches on terristrial tv, wheras we are starting to get a sprinkling of coverage now.

as for your point about the print media in the uk giving a better coverage to the championship than the print media in ireland do for the eL:

tiktok
28/09/2005, 12:12 PM
money is better because the higher standard of player, the scarcer they are to find, so your have to pay better money to get them to play for your club.

the facilities (stadiums, training facilities etc.) - the better the training facilities the easier it comes for players to improve etc.

You've got all that backwards, the gate receipts and revenue from TV and merchandising etc, allows Championship sides to invest in training facilities, while these facilities may help attract players, the facilities and players themselves do not contribute money to the clubs.

The standard of football follows the money, not the other way around.

so thats why the championship gets excellent crowds, its all the coverage it is given in the media :rolleyes: the championship gets less coverage in the national media in england, than the eL gets in the national media over here. your point just doesn't stand up

I'm sorry but that's just completely untrue and it makes a mockery of your argument. Ffs, the Championship receives more attention in irish newspapers at the weekend than the EL does, let alone the coverage it receives in England. They have Sky showing a number of live games every week, games which Sky themselves puch heavily and hype up. Sky Sports stations and Sky sports news give over a huge amount of time to the Championship.

RTE/TG4 are improving in the number of games shown but the advertising time givien over to puching the games is minimal. Also there isn't a hope in hell that there is any comparision between print media coverage of the Championship in England and the print media coverage of the EL in ireland.

anyone who thinks the el is on the same footing as the championship is utterly deluded, im sorry but thats just a fact.

Who's pushing that argument?
Neither Colm or I have said that.

Cosmo
28/09/2005, 12:12 PM
all the above is irrelevant. anyone who thinks the el is on the same footing as the championship is utterly deluded, im sorry but thats just a fact.

thats the main point - forget about the media - Championship in england is of a higher standard than the EL and will only make doyle a better player over the next couple of years

tiktok
28/09/2005, 12:14 PM
thats the main point - forget about the media - Championship in england is of a higher standard than the EL and will only make doyle a better player over the next couple of years

I disagree, the main point I see is that while the "Championship in england is of a higher standard than the EL and will only make doyle a better player over the next couple of years" it hasn't already made Doyle a better player after four competitive games.

He's no better a player now than he was at CCFC.
If he's good enough now, he's been good enough since the Inter-toto games last season.

Cosmo
28/09/2005, 12:17 PM
I disagree, the main point I see is that while the "Championship in england is of a higher standard than the EL and will only make doyle a better player over the next couple of years" it hasn't already made Doyle a better player after four competitive games.

He's no better a player now than he was at CCFC.
If he's good enough now, he's been good enough since the Inter-toto games last season.

Did I not just say that in my 2 posts on this thread :rolleyes:

tiktok
28/09/2005, 12:19 PM
Did I not just say that in my 2 posts on this thread :rolleyes:

at best you "hoped" it, so lay off the rolleyes

Cosmo
28/09/2005, 12:22 PM
However I still think that Doyle deserves his call up and he's good enough to make it at reading - playing there on a week to week basis for a couple of seasons will make him a better player. (would also like to think he'd have got his call up if still playing with cork as playing 4 or 5 matches for reading doesnt change ye that much as a player!!)

Here ye go so :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ColinR
28/09/2005, 12:32 PM

look back to jerry the saint's post

mypost
28/09/2005, 12:48 PM

The Championship in England is rubbish, and always has been, the type of football play is similiar to NL 1st Division football. Not a single team in England's Championship play decent football, it's all punts, knock-downs, and kicking lumps out of each other. Nobody has discovered the art of keeping the ball on the ground, and playing your way out of trouble. How many other countries, select international players to play for them who play in the second tier of their league?? :confused:

The thread boils down to two questions;

Is Kevin Doyle playing a higher standard of football at Reading, than at Cork? Answer: No

Has Kevin Doyle gone from unwanted NL riff-raff, to international squad member in the space of two months?? Answer: No again.

The only difference is according to the misguided Irish team boss, he is only eligible for selection because he plays his club football now, in not the right country, but one country, and ironically enough, it's not Ireland. :mad:

redgav
28/09/2005, 1:05 PM
well cheers everyone for dragging the post way off thread :rolleyes:

The question was - If Doyle was still playing in the EL would newstalk bother talking to him????

mypost
28/09/2005, 1:16 PM
well cheers everyone for dragging the post way off thread :rolleyes:

The question was - If Doyle was still playing in the EL would newstalk bother talking to him????

The answer to that is also no, but you knew that bringing up the thread would link it to the other questions. There can be no debate on this thread without them.

pete
28/09/2005, 5:03 PM

Maybe they'd interview him for his opinions on Wexfords hurling team like Roddy & boxing...?

monkey magic
28/09/2005, 6:37 PM
fair enough you didnt say that, apologies if it sounded that way, but it was said in a few other posts, maby its them i should have been quoting.. :o

Number 4
29/09/2005, 2:26 PM
The Championship in England is rubbish, and always has been, the type of football play is similiar to NL 1st Division football. Not a single team in England's Championship play decent football, it's all punts, knock-downs, and kicking lumps out of each other. Nobody has discovered the art of keeping the ball on the ground, and playing your way out of trouble. How many other countries, select international players to play for them who play in the second tier of their league?? :confused:

The thread boils down to two questions;

Is Kevin Doyle playing a higher standard of football at Reading, than at Cork? Answer: No

Has Kevin Doyle gone from unwanted NL riff-raff, to international squad member in the space of two months?? Answer: No again.

The only difference is according to the misguided Irish team boss, he is only eligible for selection because he plays his club football now, in not the right country, but one country, and ironically enough, it's not Ireland. :mad:

What a load of crap. The Championship in England is not 'rubbish'. All the teams DO NOT 'punt' all the time and its light years ahead of NL 1st Division fare.

To answer your question truthfully: Is Doyle playing at a higher standard now. Definately YES.

As a whole, the 1st Division in England (or whatever its called - Coke whatever) is miles ahead of the Premier here. Week on week who would hold ther own in it. Cork ? Maybe ! Mid to lower table at best. Derry? Only on this season alone and then only possibly. Shels? If they got their **** together then maybe. After that absolutely nobody. Thats 3 teams that may survive anywhere in the whole division !!! And I'm probably being generous.
Thats what is meant by playing at a higher standard.

If the question is : Has he suddenly improved in the last couple of months by miles to make him international class now and not when he was with Cork? Then the answer obviously is NO.
But circumstances have changed and he HAS gone from an eL player to an international squad member (to answer your second question).