PDA

View Full Version : Le Penn to pick French squad??

wiseman
25/04/2002, 1:28 PM
If the racist f**kwit Le penn becomes president of France will he pick the football team?
No Henry,Viera,Zidane etc
hows them apples?

Éanna
25/04/2002, 2:19 PM
he said after the world cup in 98 that France had won nothing, because the players weren't french-what a prat!
The only semblance of a point he has is in how many of the players are french born- Desailly was born in Ghana, Vieira in Senegal, Trezeguet in Aregentina, Thuram in Guadaloupe, Lizarazu in the Basque country (talk about pushing it!) and some more besides. I know the guys just a racist moron, but why is no-one pointing out when france nab players like that, and yet Ireland get singled out for it all the time.

Hope to christ he's not elected-facist scumbag:mad:

SÓC
25/04/2002, 7:34 PM
..these places were actually part of France at one stage and alot of these players chose to play for France when they we not so savy and cool.

Barthez is from the the part of the Basque country in Spain, at least Lizarazu is from the French part. Interesting thought that UEFA/FIFA allow teams like Wales, Norn Iron Scotland and England to exist while there are in essence part of the one country and would not accept the Basque Country and Catloyna(spelling??) when they tried to join.

Schumi
25/04/2002, 9:02 PM
But the UK agreed to England, Scotland, etc. playing as seperate teams whereas Spain presumably wouldn't.

Seanie
25/04/2002, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
The only semblance of a point he has is in how many of the players are french born- Desailly was born in Ghana, Vieira in Senegal, Trezeguet in Aregentina, Thuram in Guadaloupe, Lizarazu in the Basque country (talk about pushing it!) and some more besides.

Never realised there were so many of them. Of course none of them are plying their trade in France. If he's so anti immigrants, does he support all this footballing emigration?

pete
26/04/2002, 11:17 AM
Holland have a lot of players from former colonies too.

I think the big difference between these countries & the oirish granny rule is most of these players would probably have moved to France with their parents so they french in terms od 1st generation french.

The same may happen in the next 10 years or so when children refugess, asylum seekers or just immigrants grow up in ireland & choose to represent their adopted country in some sport.

Éanna
26/04/2002, 1:26 PM
Originally posted by pete
Holland have a lot of players from former colonies too.

Yeah they've a fair few players who were born in Surinam- off the top of my head Hasselbaink, Winter and Gullit. I think Rikjaard as well, but not 100% sure. How did Barthez manage to get in the French team if he was born in spain- french parents?

I just brought it up to illustrate the bad press Ireland are getting- I mean, I can take someone with Irish parents playing for Ireland or whatever, but any links other than that is pushing it in my book! Nobody really mentions anything about the French team having so many "non-French" players in it, yet ireland get it all the time. Add to the list of players down below- Henry's parents being Nigerian and Zizou's being Algerian (his uncle played for them in a world cup in the 80's) and imagine what the French team could NOT be!

SÓC
26/04/2002, 4:34 PM

How did Barthez manage to get in the French team if he was born in spain- french parents?

Yea French partents, AFAIK they moved to France when he was youngish. A French friend of mine told me that even at the World Cup Final people were boing the "non-french" in the team whilst proclaiming that France were clearly the best team in the world

Éanna
30/04/2002, 1:17 PM
Originally posted by SÓCcfc
A French friend of mine told me that even at the World Cup Final people were boing the "non-french" in the team whilst proclaiming that France were clearly the best team in the world
Doesn't surprise me- race relations doesn't seem to be the strongest point of french society.

Troy.McClure
03/05/2002, 2:07 PM
How did Barthez manage to get in the French team if he was born in spain- french parents?
The Basque country is in France and Spain, just like Ulster is in the Republic & the North

Nobody really mentions anything about the French team having so many "non-French" players in it
Ive actually heard it brought up lots of times both on tv & on print. They have an advantage, but Im not too pushed. Most of their players have actually lived in France (and can sing the national anthem) unlike some of ours.:(

vlad
03/05/2002, 6:16 PM
Pires said in an interview if Le Penn is victorious, a lot of the French team would pull out of the world cup. Basically all propaganda to ensure he won't. Would they have the courage of their convictions if Le Penn pulled off a shock?

Éanna
04/05/2002, 1:41 PM
Originally posted by Troy.McClure
Most of their players have actually lived in France (and can sing the national anthem) unlike some of ours.:(

exactly

Gary
04/05/2002, 1:54 PM
Yet you all sem to have a problem with Morrison. From what ive read, you have totally contradicted yourselves.

Éanna
04/05/2002, 1:58 PM
Originally posted by GWA
Yet you all sem to have a problem with Morrison. From what ive read, you have totally contradicted yourselves.
None of them pleaded with the manager of another country to pick them before picking their country!