PDA

View Full Version : Most interesting suggestions in Genesis report...

ThatGuy
26/09/2005, 2:29 PM
I've just skimmed through it but this has caught my eye

"cross border league involving teams from Ireland, Northern Ireland, Wales and possibly Scotland of up to 20 teams
• National league involving the remaining clubs not participating ion the Celtic League
• Promotion and Relegation between the Celtic League and the national leagues
• Promotion and Relegation between the National League and the Amateur leagues"

Cosmo
26/09/2005, 2:47 PM
would be against a celtic league myself

Éanna
26/09/2005, 2:50 PM
totally against a celtic league- ludicrous idea, because the "big" clubs like Celtic, Rangers etc wouldn;t go for it, so we'd be as good as admitting that we're second best, instead of striving to compete

Macy
26/09/2005, 3:01 PM
totally against a celtic league- ludicrous idea, because the "big" clubs like Celtic, Rangers etc wouldn;t go for it, so we'd be as good as admitting that we're second best, instead of striving to compete
Wouldn't be totally against - afterall most scottish probably would go for it, and leave the top two fooked. :D

TheOwl
26/09/2005, 3:10 PM
Wouldn't be totally against - afterall most scottish probably would go for it, and leave the top two fooked. :D

Scotland wouldn't be interested and why would we want Welsh clubs in our league???

All-Ireland league all the way please!

patsh
26/09/2005, 3:23 PM
why would we want Welsh clubs in our league???
You'll get plenty of reasons why not from Longford for that question...:D

A face
26/09/2005, 3:34 PM
No way .... I'd go for an all-ireland league alright ... but NO WAY to a Celtic league ..... this report is made of fairy tales so is it ??

Who came up with that one and what thought did they put into it ??

Schumi
26/09/2005, 3:41 PM
Celtic league is daft. Who can afford to travel to Wales/Scotland every few weeks?

Mr A
26/09/2005, 3:42 PM
The stuff about Celtic leagues, all-Ireland Leagues etc is merely contained in an appendix.

It actually recommends a 10 team elite league with 2 regional second divisions. I don't this is a great idea as the transition from the regional leagues to the elite league would be very difficult. The first division is a wilderness as it is, making two of them would make it worse again.

Overall the report mostly states the obvious but most of it is good sense and should be implemeted as quickly as possible.

pete
26/09/2005, 3:45 PM
Celtic League is just a suggestion although no thought behind it really.

Mr A
26/09/2005, 4:02 PM
I can't post it on this forum as it's too long, but see here for the whole report: http://www.irishfootie.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=830

thejollyrodger
26/09/2005, 4:37 PM
A celtic league is a bad idea for the fans. The best of both worlds is to increase the Setanta Cup to include the smaller teams from Scotland and Wales

superfrank
26/09/2005, 4:46 PM
All-Ireland league structure. We could have at least two, maybe three divisions.

The only way forward for football as a whole on this island.

derrymac
26/09/2005, 5:01 PM
I don't think the Setanta cup should be extended to the smaller teams in Scotland and Wales but should be kept as an all-Ireland competition. If we say that we are only god enough to compete against the smaller scottish or welsh clubs, then we are saying we have no ambition in Europe and couldn't possibly compete against the better clubs in other countires.

thejollyrodger
26/09/2005, 6:42 PM
the way i see it is , if this new super league gets the nod by the clubs and it turns out to be well financed and sucessfull all those northern clubs will want to join and we can basically decide who we want in. Only 2 or at the very max 4 clubs from the north should be allowed into the Top division.

The setanta cup is the only real proper competition on this island. I say that because of the prize money on offer to all who just join it. Personally I would like to see the standard continue to rise and see other clubs invovled in it.