PDA

View Full Version : Lets Talk Football - for a change

LFC in Exile
26/09/2005, 10:19 AM
Limerick's performance against Cobh was a perfect example of where we are going wrong this year. IMO the problems stem from a lack of real wide players and front men dropping too deep.

We had Keating and Molan on each wing. Neither known for taking on players and getting the ball across. McGrath and Barrett then have no outlet when they are on the ball. It gets too crowded in the centre with Robbie dropping deep and running with it. I think Jamie Nolan is playing the clever game by not dropping back and giving the central midfielders an 'out'. The difficulty of course is that it is easy for an organised defence to play against a team with not wide threat. They can push up and squeeze the midfield. The only time they can't do that is if they are forced (by players getting past full backs) to trun and face their own goals. Even clearances will fall to on-coming midfielders.

Robbie has to be told to push right up onto the last defender (as Nolan is doing). Robbie is not effective (evidence: no goals) driopping deep and beating a couple of players 40 yards out from goal. Of course he wants to play and if he is getting no service from out wide he will go and get the ball.

The team doesn't benefit from him being on the ball more - even if it makes him look like he is the only one really trying. Also, by dropping back it means that he is not next to Nolan for longer clearances. Nolan gets slated for not challenging at headers - but if he wins them the ball will roll on to the keeper because Robbie is 20 yards behind him. In that situation the best thing to do is not challenge for the header but for the secondary ball - even if it means you look to some that you are not "getting stuck in".

I'd prefer to see Keating back in the centre with McGrath. Nolan on the wing with the explicit instruction to run at the full-back and get crosses in all night. Barrett and Robbie up front with Robbie told not to drop deep at all. Donnellan on teh other wing (and a lot of training on how to cross it once the full back is beaten). Its time too to stick with O'Mahoney, Finny, Buckley and Tobin.

declan hide
26/09/2005, 12:34 PM
agree with alot of that. see my post elsewhere.

now print it off and hand it into NOC's butchers will ya.

gael353
26/09/2005, 1:11 PM
Limerick's performance against Cobh was a perfect example of where we are going wrong this year. IMO the problems stem from a lack of real wide players and front men dropping too deep.

Its time too to stick with O'Mahoney, Finny, Buckley and Tobin.

Think that will be hard the last bit as i think one of those back 4 has departed the club but lets hope its not true. Great post otherwise though.

Westside
26/09/2005, 5:33 PM
Think that will be hard the last bit as i think one of those back 4 has departed the club but lets hope its not true. Great post otherwise though.Which one :eek: ........... O'Mahony played for the U21's yesterday, I can only imagine its either him or Tobin, either way its a loss.