PDA

View Full Version : Recomend a game...

Jon'o
25/09/2005, 10:31 PM
im back home in dublin in october between the 20th and 24th and would'nt mind catching a game, anyone recomend a game thats on that im likely to get tickets for? thanks

sligoman
25/09/2005, 10:34 PM
Shams Vs. Cork or UCD Vs. Derry would probably be good ones

Réiteoir
25/09/2005, 10:37 PM
21st October 2005 Shamrock Rovers - Cork City
Kick off : 7:45 pm Premier Dalymount Park

Poor Student
26/09/2005, 9:37 AM
UCD v Derry. League Cup final grudge rematch. It's also something else to see Derry City's away support in action. You can also several possible future stars in action on both sides like Farren and McCourt of Derry, and Quigley, Kenna and Dicker of UCD who all received recent U-21 call ups in the last month. If you need help with directions and are interested, PM me.

Cosmo
26/09/2005, 9:43 AM
It's also something else to see Derry City's away support in action.

Yeah, good man :rolleyes:

Rovers V Cork is the one to go to

Poor Student
26/09/2005, 9:45 AM
Yeah, good man :rolleyes:

Rovers V Cork is the one to go to

Why so? Derry 2nd and UCD are 7th. Cork are 1st and Shamrock Rovers are 10th. Derry could even be first by then. I think Derry and UCD are just as likely to serve up an entertaining affair.

Cosmo
26/09/2005, 9:57 AM
Rovers will be fighting for their lives and cork will be going for the league.

Will be a far better atmosphere at the rovers V cork match and cork will bring alot more than derry will bring to ucd.

UCD will have their couple of hundred fans there, while derry might bring 30 supporters.

Wouldnt wish it upon anyone to go to any match in belfield as a neutral to be honest (no offence).

I cant believe is even open to debate on which match would be better to go to, ye couldnt be that stuck for an extra tenner.

Anyway just after copping the semi finals on the cup are on that weekend so both matches wont be on :eek:

Poor Student
26/09/2005, 10:04 AM
UCD will have their couple of hundred fans there, while derry might bring 30 supporters.

So that would make the attendence 350 at best even when you added in 120 neutrals. :confused:

As you point out with the cup semis it's pointless to debate.

anto eile
26/09/2005, 10:14 AM
as bad as dalymount is, dont send anyone to watch a football match at belfield. youl turn them off football for life

Poor Student
26/09/2005, 10:18 AM
The reputation of Belfield is begining to grow arms and legs and the people purporting this reputation are begining to sound like barstoolers talking about all eL grounds. We have a roofed stand with seats. So we don't have the biggest support, but one club has to have the smallest support. It's unfair what's going on here. How are we ever supposed to get people into our ground when you talk us down like barstoolers do the eL?

Cosmo
26/09/2005, 10:27 AM
Not talking ye down 'like a barstooler'.

The chap asked who he should go to see - for a better crowd, atmosphere, match, etc Rovers V Cork wouldve been by far the best to go to.

I would not recommend any first timer to go to Belfield as his introduction to the EL. Like ffs, I know a couple of drogs who just refuse to go to belfield (but even have been to derry, waterford and cork this season).

not taking a deliberate pop, just been honest

Colm
26/09/2005, 10:32 AM
The reputation of Belfield is begining to grow arms and legs and the people purporting this reputation are begining to sound like barstoolers talking about all eL grounds. We have a roofed stand with seats. So we don't have the biggest support, but one club has to have the smallest support. It's unfair what's going on here. How are we ever supposed to get people into our ground when you talk us down like barstoolers do the eL?

Barstoolers are talking about things of which they are ignorant of.

EL fans talking about Belfield is from they're own experiences. I hate going to Belfield, it's the one ground where there is never an atmosphere no matter how hard you try. There's no decent pubs around and it's an all round balls of an away trip.

I can't see how you could seriously recommend anyone would go to any UCD game over Rovers v City. Let's look at it.... Dalymount is a far far better and more atmospheric venue than Belfield ever could be. There is somewhat of a rivalry between Rovers and City and as City will have 200-300 at the game there would be a good and intense atmosphere. Derry have good away support but it's it's not on the same level as us.
Anyway, as you say it's irrelevant with the cup semis on that weekend.

Poor Student
26/09/2005, 10:45 AM
Barstoolers are talking about things of which they are ignorant of.

EL fans talking about Belfield is from they're own experiences. I hate going to Belfield, it's the one ground where there is never an atmosphere no matter how hard you try. There's no decent pubs around and it's an all round balls of an away trip.

I can't see how you could seriously recommend anyone would go to any UCD game over Rovers v City. Let's look at it.... Dalymount is a far far better and more atmospheric venue than Belfield ever could be. There is somewhat of a rivalry between Rovers and City and as City will have 200-300 at the game there would be a good and intense atmosphere. Derry have good away support but it's it's not on the same level as us.
Anyway, as you say it's irrelevant with the cup semis on that weekend.

I've met many a barstooler who tried one or two games and say this all the time. Derry's away support is inferior to you only in numbers. When we beat them 1-0 earlier this season they made a far greaters atmosphere than when you beat us 5-1. You're still better than probably anyone else who came this season but they're streets ahead of you for atmosphere.

Colm
26/09/2005, 10:50 AM
When we beat them 1-0 earlier this season they made a far greaters atmosphere than when you beat us 5-1. .

Yeah but we only had 100 that night and no TIFO flags or flares or anything. Why? because it was UCD and Belfield!!

Poor Student
26/09/2005, 10:52 AM
So? Derry had 100 maximum that night and it was still Belfield!!!

Macy
26/09/2005, 10:58 AM
My attitude to UCD has softened somewhat in recent seasons (I think it's do with the rise of CHF tbh :D ), but for christs sake, you can't genuinely be suggesting Belfield for the neutral? It can be a soul destroying place to watch a match, no offence meant (and I have been there as a neutral a few times during the saddo years so it's not just town games there).

Schumi
26/09/2005, 12:26 PM
My attitude to UCD has softened somewhat in recent seasons (I think it's do with the rise of CHF tbh :D )
I knew there had to be a point to that club! :D

pineapple stu
26/09/2005, 12:51 PM
I think UCD-Derry is now postponed because Derry are in the Cup semi-final the same weekend.

bigmac
26/09/2005, 2:16 PM
There's no decent pubs around and it's an all round balls of an away trip.

Try the pub in the Montrose hotel across the dual carriageway. It's the only one within 10 minutes walking distance. Either that or find a UCD fan (either of them :D ) to sign you into the student bar as a guest.

BohDiddley
26/09/2005, 4:45 PM
I have to agree that going to watch football in UCD feels distinctly odd and is not the ideal place in which to get your first taste of EL football.
Last time I was there some people I know who had gone along were looking at me with faces that said, 'Is this it?'.

Colm
26/09/2005, 5:19 PM
Try the pub in the Montrose hotel across the dual carriageway. It's the only one within 10 minutes walking distance.

My point exactly. I know the Montrose but it's not near to the ground compared with other places.
Dalymount has bars in the ground and Doyles and other pubs are only 2 minutes away.
Tolka has a bar and Fagans is only two seconds away.
Turners Cross has the Turners Cross Tavern and the Horsehoe within a minute or two of the ground.
Waterford has the Yellow house near the ground.
Longford and Belfield are two of the very few places where you can't even go for a half time pint.

pineapple stu
26/09/2005, 5:33 PM
Fagan's is a good quarter-mile from Tolka - about as far as the Montrose (or Lonegan's) is from Belfield. Certainly not two seconds away.

Jon'o
26/09/2005, 5:37 PM
shams v cork it is then :) prehaps catch a ucd game the next time im over... onto tickets, what are the chances of getting one?

pete
26/09/2005, 5:41 PM
shams v cork it is then :) prehaps catch a ucd game the next time im over... onto tickets, what are the chances of getting one?

That game will be postponed now as is FAI Cup semi final weekend. Might be semi final on in Bray assuming they get home draw.

No guarantee of any Dublin game on that weekend.

Cosmo
26/09/2005, 6:01 PM
That game will be postponed now as is FAI Cup semi final weekend. Might be semi final on in Bray assuming they get home draw.

No guarantee of any Dublin game on that weekend.

Could be a semi final match in drogheda though - only a short bus trip up and back :)

Derek
27/09/2005, 12:13 AM
My attitude to UCD has softened somewhat in recent seasons (I think it's do with the rise of CHF tbh :D )

What has that got to do with a guy looking for a good game to watch.

Derek
27/09/2005, 12:15 AM

you can't give them away.

Roverstillidie
27/09/2005, 9:09 AM
isnt that what chf, literally, tried to do?
and no-one took them :D

tickets would be no problem for the Rovers v Cork game, pay at the stiles €15 in. Assuming its on that day though.

Macy
27/09/2005, 11:21 AM
What has that got to do with a guy looking for a good game to watch.
Nothing, bar that I'm not working off the anti UCD that I was before Dublin City were rightfully and properly elected to the league....

CollegeTillIDie
27/09/2005, 7:19 PM
My point exactly. I know the Montrose but it's not near to the ground compared with other places.
Dalymount has bars in the ground and Doyles and other pubs are only 2 minutes away.
Turners Cross has the Turners Cross Tavern and the Horsehoe within a minute or two of the ground.

This sort of laziness is what has the country suffering from such an obesity problem. A good walk is what ye need if ye are going to be skulling pints.

Are you that much of an alco that you can't last till full-time? :D