PDA

View Full Version : Opinions

hoopy
24/09/2005, 8:39 AM
After watching the Cork/Sligo game last night, once again it is obvious the huge gulf between the two divisions. While not wanting to upset Sligo fans, after reading so much on this mb from them about how good they were I was hugely dissappointed. I've seen Cork play a lot better than they did last night yet they still would've tanked Sligo but for bad finishing. Imop with the same side next season Sligo would be odds on to go back down. Opinions anyone?

The Stars
24/09/2005, 9:08 AM
Your talking out of your arse hoopy.We were well able to compete with them up until the sending off.And what you on about the gulf inn class.didnt we show that there isnt that much difference after we beat Harps and Pats,and we would beat ye aswell.

Conor H
24/09/2005, 9:14 AM
Hoopy is spot on.Sligo are the best team in the 1st Division but they aren't that good of a team.They aren't exactly walking a league where the standard is poor tbh.Whoever goes up this year,unless they strenghten there sqads will go straight back down.

Da Real Rover
24/09/2005, 9:21 AM
We bet Harps with our reserve team, we flattered Pats with that score line and we were not trashed by cork, we gave a good showing of ourselves. Also we drew with yee at the start of the season so i dont think the 'gulf' is all that its cracked up to be. We wont walk the premier but we wont get hammered.

Conor H
24/09/2005, 9:23 AM
But we should have beaten Cork in Terryland in the cup and were very unlucky in the replay aswell and were ****e!.I don't think you can take much from cup games.

Rory H
24/09/2005, 9:34 AM
ya its all about the league

ye lost 1-0 to the worst team in the league yesterday didnt ye??

the gulf in class is none of your business :)

it was not easy for cork

they didnt play that well??well we've played a lot better too!

i think we did well and we were not outclassed until we got tired cos of playing with 10 men so long

there wasnt much difference between the 2 of us until the red card

Conor H
24/09/2005, 12:06 PM
Sure they couldn't break us down either...it took them over 180 minutes to score from a dubious penalty.All im saying is that the gulf between the 2 leagues is massive and Sligo are included in that........the best of a bad bunch.

Slash/ED
24/09/2005, 12:23 PM
Cork were always in charge imo, but they must be worried about the fact that they retain possession so well but seem to lack a real clinical striker and real cutting edge atm. They could have drawn a game they should have been in command of from start to finish there, same as against Djurgardens. Outplayed them from start to finish yet could have conceded a goal and gone out but for one fantastic tackle, it has to be a worry for them.

patsh
24/09/2005, 12:31 PM
Conor O'Grady is still a superb player, and held the Sligo team together very well. It is a worry about our lack of finishing, because we totally dominated that game from start to finish. Sligo are a fine side, better than at least 4 Premier division sides and I think they will more than hold their own next season. they had some good counter attacks and were very, very quick to break, but I don't really think there was any chance that they would win the game.
Great travelling support, good footballing side, Sligo will be a great addition to the Premier league next season.

sullanefc
24/09/2005, 12:33 PM
Cork were always in charge imo, but they must be worried about the fact that they retain possession so well but seem to lack a real clinical striker and real cutting edge atm. They could have drawn a game they should have been in command of from start to finish there, same as against Djurgardens. Outplayed them from start to finish yet could have conceded a goal and gone out but for one fantastic tackle, it has to be a worry for them.

It is a worry I'm afraid. Our strikers are just not scoring at the moment, and the midfield seem reluctant to shoot when they get near the edge of the box. Compare this to Derry and both their strikers are flying. :(

ccfcgirl
24/09/2005, 12:37 PM
If sligo Rovers got promoted ,Id say theyd hold there own and finish in mid-table next season ,They didnt play bad Football.As for City Flynn is not the Flynn of 2 seasons ago .We are missing Doyle big time .I think Willie Bruton should be given a game in the League ,I would say cup but he is cup tied.Given a chance id say hed score goals .

ThatGuy
24/09/2005, 12:55 PM
Aside from the top 3 or so in the Premier Division there are no good teams in Ireland. The standard gets worse and worse as you go further down the tables, and it is no surprise that whatever team is winning the first Division isn't a patch on the leaders of the Premier.

Despite Sligo apparently having some of the "best playes in Ireland".

bluemovie
24/09/2005, 2:12 PM
Cork were always in charge imo, but they must be worried about the fact that they retain possession so well but seem to lack a real clinical striker and real cutting edge atm.

I was thinking the same thing watching them against Slavia. I thought it was great to see them play away in Europe with two strikers, two wingers and a midfield playmaker, but they needed something more up front. If they had a Jason Byrne instead of O'Flynn, they'd be a seriously good team...even a match for most UEFA Cup teams.

monkey magic
24/09/2005, 3:15 PM
the gulf in class is none of your business :)

:D :D :D

in fairness i think sligo will more than hold their own in the premier division next season (and they will be in the premier division next season) cork have been the most consistent team in the league all season and sligo were far from disgraced. aside fron that, imo sligo have probable the best fanbase and infrastructure outside the premier division and promotion would (no offence to any other 1st div clubs) be only just rewards for the efort put in down there over the last few years. :ball:

The Stars
24/09/2005, 5:26 PM
Thanks monkey magic.
It is true,weve been getting things sorted out off the pitch in recent seasons and now we are prepared to go up and stay up.

The Stars
24/09/2005, 5:29 PM
Despite Sligo apparently having some of the "best playes in Ireland".
well anyone that watched last night game has to admit Raf(right back,blonde head)is one of the best in ireland and we in Sligo think he is the best.Had is pick of any Premier club last season but decided to stay and he is now becoming a Legend in The Showgrounds.

Patrick Dunne
24/09/2005, 6:18 PM
Sligo have the most potential at the moment of any of the First Divison clubs.
If they get promoted, survival should be there aim in year one.

Outside of SRFC, the standard is appalling. The other nine teams are much of a muchness, crowds are poor, managerial tactics are shouting "Come on lads" ad nauseum.

Red4Eva
24/09/2005, 11:32 PM
for da 49mins we had 11 players on da pitch we were winning 1-0&in da 1st half although cork were superior o'hara only made 3 saves. after watchin dat brand of muck served up by shams 2nite i'll take any criticism from the burberry clad sc*m brigade regarding "football" with a pinch of salt.

gustavo
24/09/2005, 11:38 PM
i think that over the course of a premier division season if we went up we would struggle but im guessing that if we did then 4-5 quality players would be added to the squad which would help matters .

A face
25/09/2005, 1:32 AM
Hoopy ... you are well off the mark .... Sligo wont struggle next year. They will make short work of a few teams in the premier now. When they come up they will obviously be looking to improve and having been promoted, you can see them starting the season all guns a blazing.

It seems like there is alot being done off the pitch and now the on pitch stuff is sorting itself out. Maybe that is what clubs should be doing, instead of whinging about summer soccer etc.

Dr.Nightdub
25/09/2005, 2:00 AM
Gotta say in all honesty, the night they knocked us out of the cup, they looked like the Premier team, we looked like the First Div team. Great workrate, tried to play passing football, useful centre forward, decent crowd. Everything the premier could do with. Hope they come up and stay up, it'd make a good addition to the away trips.

A face
25/09/2005, 2:26 AM
it'd make a good addition to the away trips.

It is a great town alright .... good craic any time i was there. And the Showgrounds have improved a good bit too since i was there last.

1 9 2 8
25/09/2005, 8:49 AM
It is a great town alright .....
Cork isn't to bad either. If we go up this year I think we will stay up. I think if we had 11 men for the whole Cork game it would have been a different story

coislaoi
25/09/2005, 4:36 PM
for da 49mins we had 11 players on da pitch we were winning 1-0&in da 1st half although cork were superior o'hara only made 3 saves. after watchin dat brand of muck served up by shams 2nite i'll take any criticism from the burberry clad sc*m brigade regarding "football" with a pinch of salt.

Your manager made the same mistake after the game as well. We equalised before half time when each team had 11 a side. Having said that you have some good footballers and will hold your own in the premier next year. Looking forward to an overnighter or two in Sligo next season. :D

Schumi
26/09/2005, 12:08 PM
Hope they come up and stay up, it'd make a good addition to the away trips.
Haven't seen the team play so can't comment on that but I agree with the above completely. Great place for an away trip.