PDA

View Full Version : FAI Cup Quarter-final

CollegeTillIDie
23/09/2005, 7:55 PM
Was unable to make the game. But losing 2-0 at half-time.. game over season over goodnight Vienna :mad:

Poor Student
23/09/2005, 10:12 PM
Thank God you never made it to that........unpleasant place. Crap performance by both teams. Denied what I and many felt including a Bray fan I talked to after was a blatant penalty.

CollegeTillIDie
23/09/2005, 10:42 PM
Thank God you never made it to that........unpleasant place. Crap performance by both teams. Denied what I and many felt including a Bray fan I talked to after was a blatant penalty.

Saw it on TV just now. If we were one of the so called bigger clubs we would have been given it :mad: Good comeback all the same from 3-0 down.
No Dublin team is going to win any trophies this season

Superhoops
23/09/2005, 10:52 PM
Saw it on TV just now. If we were one of the so called bigger clubs we would have been given it :mad: Good comeback all the same from 3-0 down.
No Dublin team is going to win any trophies this season
With UCD and Bohs going out tonight, the only Dublin team left in the cup is Rovers. Bray are a Wickow team!

CollegeTillIDie
23/09/2005, 10:56 PM
With UCD and Bohs going out tonight, the only Dublin team left in the cup is Rovers. Bray are a Wickow team!

Yes and Drogheda is a Louth club. So even if it was a Drogheda V Bray final some lot of Muck savage Sheep sh****ers would win the Cup :D

Superhoops
23/09/2005, 11:00 PM
Yes and Drogheda is a Louth club. So even if it was a Drogheda V Bray final some lot of Muck savage Sheep sh****ers would win the Cup :D
Two cup losses in a week and soooooooooo bitter!

CollegeTillIDie
23/09/2005, 11:06 PM
Two cup losses in a week and soooooooooo bitter!

Well at least you're not from Cork ;)

Superhoops
23/09/2005, 11:27 PM
Well at least you're not from Cork ;)
Something I thank God for every day.

pineapple stu
24/09/2005, 12:10 AM
Still fairly angry about that, to be honest.

Good Cup game, end to end, drama and a good comeback...all ruined by a disgraceful decision not to award UCD a penalty in injury time. To be honest, for the way we came back after going 3-0 down alone, te draw was the least we deserved. When we got going, we were much better than Bray. Even in the first half, there wasn't that much between the teams except that Bray took their chances and we didn't. Livid with that ref.

pineapple stu
24/09/2005, 1:00 AM
A disgraceful refereeing decision ultimately put the skids under a superb UCD comeback in an enthralling FAI Cup quarter-final in the Carlisle Grounds on Friday night. After falling 3-0 behind, UCD got two goals back after bossing the last half hour of the game only for the ref to inexplicably fail to award a penalty when Damien Dupuy was unceremoniously barged down when about to shoot on the edge of the six yard box.

In truth, UCD have only themselves to blame for finding themselves 3-0 down in the first place, but TV replays showed absolutely no reason why the penalty was not given, and the Bray defender sent off.

UCD started with the same team which started the League Cup Final - and which had won so convincingly (in all areas bar the scoreboard) in Bray the previous week, meaning Robbie Martin and Conor Kenna were still on the bench. And as the previous week, UCD settled well against their local rivals, with the team passing the ball around much more effectively than in the midweek game.

Despite that, however, it was Bray who took the lead through new signing Paul Murphy, who rose unchallenged to head past former Manchester City youth teammate Darren Quigley from 10 yards. It was a very poor goal to concede, but UCD responded well, with Pat McWalter in particular giving his marker a torried time and testing Chris O'Connor in nets on a couple of occasions.

Out of the blue, however, Bray extended their lead shortly before half-time with a sensational goal from David Tyrrell, whose shot from 25 yards flew over Quigley and went in off the underside of the crossbar for one of the goals of the season.

Pete Mahon responded by bringing on Martin and Kenna for Murphy and Gannon at half-time, with Tony McDonnell moving up to midfield. However, despite now playing with what would be perceived to be the strongest team available, Bray took the game by the scruff of the neck and should have been out of sight by the hour mark. First, UCD had an amazing let-off when Bray failed to find the net with a remarkable four close-range strikes in succession. Darren Quigley pulled off a superb save from the initial shot, the rebound was hit against the post, Mick O'Donnell blocked the third effort before the fourth was skewed wildly wide.

On the hour mark, however, Bray did get their third goal. A sweeping move saw a low cross come in from the left, and Kieran O'Brien was on hand to slam home at the far post.

Far from collapse, UCD dominated the remaineder of the game, and crucially, had pulled a goal back within three minutes. McWalter was again the instigator as he tormented Bray's left-back this time before putting in a low cross which Robbie Martin converted with a delightful back-heeled flick.

As the game developed into an end-to-end encounter - though played more often at Bray's end than UCD's - the Students had chances to narrow the gap to a single goal, most notably when Pat McWalter's dicing header was inches wide and when Tony McDonnell turned his marker in the box but, under pressure, shot into the side netting. Meanwhile, Darren Quigley had to be alert as Bray put in a couple of dangerous low crossing, but the Ireland U-21 keeper's handling was largely immaculate.

With ten minutes to go, Damien Dupuy replaced Conan Byrne and within a couple of minutes, the Frenchman had played a hand in UCD's second. A cross from the right was flicked away; Dupuy chased and recovered the ball, turned his man and laid the ball off for Gary Dicker. Dicker showed great skill - and got a modicum of luck - in going past two player before freeing McWalter, who fired past O'Connor for his fourth goal (at the right end!) in the last six games.

Still UCD pressed, and Tony McDonnell could have equalised, Stephen Hurley's powerful shot had too much on it for three UCD players at the far post while a couple of half-hearted penalty claims went unheeded. With two Bray players needing treatment, there were five additional minutes played, and in the third of these, Dupuy turned his man in the box, took a touch and seemed about to seal a remarkable come-back from six yards before being bundled from behind by a Bray defender. Remarkably, however, the referee ignored the claims and though UCD continued to camp out in Bray's half for the remainder of the game, Bray held on to claim a semi-final berth.

For UCD, it is a third FAI Cup quarter-final defeat in the last four years - though this one at least avoided the tension of extra-time in the replay - and after the League Cup Final in midweek, it effectively ends the Students' season, with Europe and relegation 10 points (at least) and 11 points away with only eight games remaining. There is however reason for hoping that UCD can build and improve on this season come 2006.

UCD - Quigley; Mahon, O'Donnell, Shortall, McDonnell; Hurley, Gannon (Kenna h/t), Dicker, McWalter; C Byrne (Dupuy 80), Murphy (Martin h/t). Subs not used - Gallagher, Harte. Booked - Mahon.

Att - c 1000

mypost
24/09/2005, 1:41 AM
Still fairly angry about that, to be honest.

Good Cup game, end to end, drama and a good comeback...all ruined by a disgraceful decision not to award UCD a penalty in injury time. Livid with that ref.

I have to say, you are right to be livid. I went to the game myself, and as the "Dort Derby" doesn't normally see many goals, - just 2 in Bray this season, I wasn't expecting a classic. Was impressed by the way yous came back, and yous scored 2 good goals. And there's absolutely no question that you should have had a pen in injury time, as the Bray defender clearly pulled Dupuy's shirt for a full 2 seconds in the box, before bringing him down. I was directly in line with it, and I thought, "Jaysus, hate to go out of the cup like that". The few UCD fans near me went bananas over it, and understandably so. Stonewall penalty, and I would be raging if it happened to us, but bad refereeing decisions happen everywhere. It was you who suffered this time.

Back to normal for mypost next week, with a home game against Longford to look forward to.

Poor Student
24/09/2005, 9:31 AM
Glad to hear that mypost. I was wondering had I gone mad and hopelessly biased as I felt it was a total and utter stonewaller. As you said it looked like he held him clearly for several seconds.

Btw, Conan Byrne has to be dropped. He cannot win the ball in the air and he has neither the strength or the pace to latch onto through balls. I imagine he's quite young. I'd say he needs more time in the U-21s.

KR's Post
24/09/2005, 10:12 AM
TBH it was a definate penalty, no question about it. But that's the way it goes lads. Decisions like that have gone against us numorous times aswell. Good spirited fightback, but it just was to little, to late.

Poor Student
24/09/2005, 10:17 AM
TBH it was a definate penalty, no question about it. But that's the way it goes lads. Decisions like that have gone against us numorous times aswell. Good spirited fightback, but it just was to little, to late.

Tough to take after such a comeback though. The very fact you're on here saying this and I've heard from several non-UCD people now makes me wonder how he couldn't have given it. I must say, it was a superb goal by Tyrell.

Aberdonian Stu
24/09/2005, 10:29 AM
Yeah it's a bit of a downer as the season is effectively over with Europe beyond our reach and a relegation dogfight also...beyond our reach (could probably word that better) there is much to motivate me as a fan. At least not for home games, away games thankfully have alternate reasons for caring :)

Colie
24/09/2005, 12:17 PM
Eh, Bray = Scumbag Dub wannabee kids. I'm so glad I don't live there. The poor baxtards that try to be normal down there.

DId any of them even watch the game or were they too busy cajoling us? Flecy weirdo's, the place is in a time warp, stuck in 1995.

patsh
24/09/2005, 12:26 PM
Saw the highlights on TV3, who was the ref?
Most blatent penalty I've seen in years...

Poor Student
24/09/2005, 1:25 PM
McKeown.

KR's Post
24/09/2005, 2:37 PM
I must say, it was a superb goal by Tyrell.

Rumour has it, he didn't mean it... Went in though, so!

Poor Student
24/09/2005, 2:54 PM
Rumour has it, he didn't mean it... Went in though, so!

As with many goals scored from a wide/tight angle. As you say, they still go in.

CollegeTillIDie
24/09/2005, 4:00 PM
Bray's goals looked good on TV3 last night. We also took ours well. Worth a look on Mondays Highlights show.

superfrank
24/09/2005, 4:06 PM
Defo a penalty. I saw it on Sports Tonight last night and he dragged him down. No doubt about it. I wasn't too sure at the time.

Have to say, fair play to the players for coming back in the second half, they were clearly knackered.

CollegeTillIDie
24/09/2005, 4:06 PM
Pineapple stu

2174 UCD V Derry Tuesday night
1000 Bray V UCD last night

UCD in two 4 figure crowds in 4 days shocker?

pineapple stu
24/09/2005, 5:40 PM
Not really. :confused:

Two away games in four days? One Dublin derby home game and an away game in four days?

CollegeTillIDie
24/09/2005, 6:22 PM
Not really. :confused:

Two away games in four days? One Dublin derby home game and an away game in four days?

UCD V Derry hardly a Dublin derby...????

pineapple stu
24/09/2005, 8:38 PM
Point is there's plenty of times we get two four-figure attendances in four days. The last week is far from unusual.

superfrank
25/09/2005, 11:54 AM
According to the match report on Bray Wanderers.ie the penalty wasn't givenbecause of a UCD player's infringement in the build-up.

pineapple stu
25/09/2005, 5:16 PM
I saw that, but that doesn't make sense. Why wasn't a free out given? You can't balance out two fouls. What if he'd scored? Would the ref have called back for the free a few seconds earlier?

CollegeTillIDie
25/09/2005, 11:02 PM
Well my prediction about Dublin teams winning nothing this season has come to pass.

CollegeTillIDie
25/09/2005, 11:03 PM
Point is there's plenty of times we get two four-figure attendances in four days. The last week is far from unusual.

Last time it happend would have been when?

Student Mullet
25/09/2005, 11:58 PM
Last time it happend would have been when?
Drogheda in the cup & replay

Poor Student
26/09/2005, 10:49 PM
Just watched the highlights on eL weekly there. Cannot really figure out why Quigley was so statuesque for the first goal. :confused:

The penalty was so blatant it wasn't even funny. The guy's arm was actually over Dupuy shoulder on his chest while the other one pulled him. The play leading up to the chance was uncontested and clean. One long ball by Tony Mac I think into one player who picked up the ball unchalleneged and then passed into Dupuy who was molested. I don't buy the excuse the ref allegedly gave according to the Bray website. Mahon looked and sounded on the verge of tears in the post match interview. He said if he said what he was thinking he would be fined €200 and that he would rather take his wife out to dinner instead. The Bray assistant manager and Osam both agreed it was a peno. I'll never see a more baffling or soul destroying decision. The cliché they all balance out does not apply in the cup. We lost a great chance to hold onto our place in the cup and that cannot be balanced out.

Roo69
27/09/2005, 11:41 AM
I could'nt make the match as i was away but going by what i read in the papers, Bray deserved the win, one paper said that UCD barely got out of the own half in the 1st half ? The peno sounds like it should have been given, but thats how football goes, we have been done countless times this season, were stilkl owed quite a few !

Poor Student
27/09/2005, 12:15 PM
I could'nt make the match as i was away but going by what i read in the papers, Bray deserved the win, one paper said that UCD barely got out of the own half in the 1st half ? The peno sounds like it should have been given, but thats how football goes, we have been done countless times this season, were stilkl owed quite a few !

As far as I recall we got out of our own half a good few times and the goals aside it was even enough. :confused:

pineapple stu
27/09/2005, 12:24 PM
Yeah, that's how I remember it. Bray's second was out of the blue; Pat McWalter was tormenting his marker throughout the entire game.

Poor Student
27/09/2005, 12:44 PM
Feck's sake. If you ever read a short match report in the broadsheets it makes out we were on the backfoot or lucky no matter how well we played. It's like reading mypost's weekly review. "Plucky UCD scraped a 3-0 victory". :rolleyes:

superfrank
27/09/2005, 3:15 PM
Imo, it was a fairly even game but we just shaded it.

Roo69
27/09/2005, 3:19 PM
Feck's sake. If you ever read a short match report in the broadsheets it makes out we were on the backfoot or lucky no matter how well we played. It's like reading mypost's weekly review. "Plucky UCD scraped a 3-0 victory". :rolleyes:

As i said i was'nt at the match and all the match reports were very similar, thats all i have to go on and in fairness, 4 reports were very much the same.

Bald Student
27/09/2005, 3:22 PM
Imo, it was a fairly even game but we just shaded it.Even overall. Bray were much better in the first half. The UCD midfield could hardly string two passes together. In the last 30 mins or so when Gary Dicker started playing and Tony McD moved up UCD were all over Bray.

As for the peno, it was as clear cut as anything your ever likely to see but you can't let in three goals and then blame the referee for the loss.

superfrank
27/09/2005, 3:31 PM
The penalty was ridiculous. I wasn't sure at the time cos I didn't have the best view but after seeing it on the telly it was definitely a peno. No doubt.

hoops1
27/09/2005, 3:34 PM
It was never a penalty :eek:
it was actually the first of the new EL horse racing season
I thought he was going to put a saddle on him and ride him down
the dart line!
If Rovers went out of the cup like that there would be a riot
Pete should have abused the ref on tv3 and paid his fine

CollegeTillIDie
27/09/2005, 8:40 PM
the dart line!

Well I can only conclude that given the game was being played in County Wicklow he was afraid of being locked in a car boot if he gave a peno :rolleyes:

Poor Student
27/09/2005, 9:04 PM
the dart line!

He hounded him after the match from what I can gather.

Schumi
28/09/2005, 11:00 AM
Pete should have abused the ref on tv3 and paid his fineI'd have paid part of it for him. :D

superfrank
28/09/2005, 2:11 PM
Well I can only conclude that given the game was being played in County Wicklow he was afraid of being locked in a car boot if he gave a peno :rolleyes:
That's only in the GAA...

We haven't resorted to that....yet. ;)