PDA

View Full Version : Media Coverage of the Eircom League

thejollyrodger
23/09/2005, 9:32 AM
I would like to say hats off to the Irish Times for their coverage of the Eircom League. Its probably the best newspaper around for coverage. The tabloids have to be the worst and the Irish Independent somewhere in between with all their re prints from English news papers and factual mistakes.

Today for example the Irish Times has 4 (5 articles in the soccer section in total) on the Eircom League previewing each match. For the last number of years the paper has properly covered all clubs in Europe and gave a very good analysis.

Its a pity some of the other newspapers and radio stations couldnt take the same professional approach.

ThatGuy
23/09/2005, 10:44 AM
At this stage the league gets the coverage it deserves. The paper coverage that it gets is generous considering the level of interest in the league, and the TV and radio coverage is also very good.

Most EL fans will always want "more, more, MORE!!!" but until the league improves further then I wouldn't expect much more.

joey B
23/09/2005, 10:46 AM
I think the mirror's coverage is not bad.

Cosmo
23/09/2005, 11:23 AM
I think the mirror's coverage is not bad.

Would second that - always get it on fridays

The Stars
23/09/2005, 11:27 AM
NEVER buy the sundayworld if your looking for eircom league coverage.it is full of sh!te about the English Leagues.

thejollyrodger
23/09/2005, 11:30 AM
i guess it goes without saying but never buy the hearld.

The Irish Times covered the league cup well with well written articles before and after the game. Years ago it might not even get a mention.

Newstalk had their "hour long" EL coverage last night only to be full of Gaelic games or anything but EL until the last few minutes. Poor stuff.

ThatGuy
23/09/2005, 11:35 AM
Newstalk had their "hour long" EL coverage last night only to be full of Gaelic games or anything but EL until the last few minutes. Poor stuff.

Well the All-Ireland Football Final is on Sunday!!! In fairness, in the build up to big European matches, the FAI Cup Final or the end of the league Newstalk greatly increases its EL coverage.

ger121
23/09/2005, 11:44 AM
I had always thought the Times was poor for el coverage from what I had heard as it didn't even include 1st division scores or reviews. However I was down in the barbers last Saturday week and i decided to read the paper on the table which happened to be the Times. Have to say the coverage was very good far superior to the Indo with really detailed match reports rather than just the highlights. Might have to start buying it on Saturdays now.

thejollyrodger
23/09/2005, 11:45 AM
It hasnt been the first week that they have done that. They come out with the RTE have bought everything excuse. They could have more people on talking about the league to be fair.

wws
23/09/2005, 11:51 AM
newstalk has gone to the dogs - the presenter of off the ball- some publican from Kerry - was on a rant last night when one of his listners had the neck to ask for the eircom league hour to be an hour - he went off on a big rant about rights and stuff and than proceeded to talk absolute bollicks about GAA matters - which judging from his yokel accent is about all he's capable of spouting forth on

deffo switched off this crap for good now

absolute game on monday evenings on anna livia is your only man for football talk imo

pete
23/09/2005, 12:15 PM
I think Gerry O'Sullivan (think he the Kerry fella) is better than Ger Gilroy anytime hes done the eL section. The eL "hour" has clearly been cut as overall decision not to cover the eL much anymore - don't think presenter has anything to do with it.

Macy
23/09/2005, 12:18 PM
newstalk has gone to the dogs - the presenter of off the ball- some publican from Kerry - was on a rant last night when one of his listners had the neck to ask for the eircom league hour to be an hour - he went off on a big rant about rights and stuff and than proceeded to talk absolute bollicks about GAA matters - which judging from his yokel accent is about all he's capable of spouting forth on

And then when he responded to my test on the Declan Carthy show the other week he tried to make out they cover the eL all the time on the sports show. Prize tosser, and I really hope they don't get the national licence now purely as they employ self righteous prĂ­cks like him.

Newstalk - you used to be good station, now worse than that country station - particularly between 7 and 10.

wws
23/09/2005, 12:22 PM
I think Gerry O'Sullivan (think he the Kerry fella) is better than Ger Gilroy anytime hes done the eL section. The eL "hour" has clearly been cut as overall decision not to cover the eL much anymore - don't think presenter has anything to do with it.

thats the one - he's also the producer of the show (a stand in presenter i think as well) so the presenter in this case does have a lot to do with it - and the fact that he went off on a rant - and stupidly berated the texter as if the suggestion was outrageous- he is after all a listener (and tehy dont have too many of them)

harry crumb
23/09/2005, 12:23 PM
I always buy the Mirror on a Friday.

Macy
23/09/2005, 12:28 PM
He shouldn't be so bloody defensive and attack people that question him. Stands in for Moncrieff for a few days and thinks he's Gay Byrne or some other Irish media untouchable....

pete
23/09/2005, 12:32 PM
I wouldn't defend O'Sullivan fella but i've listened to Gilroy enough in the past to hear his condescending tones on the eL which he is clearly clueless about.

I think Newstalk are losing out on very good niche market - just because only a couple of thouasand people attend each clubs matches in Dublin doesn't mean more people don't have interest in the league.

Macy
23/09/2005, 12:37 PM
I think Newstalk are losing out on very good niche market - just because only a couple of thouasand people attend each clubs matches in Dublin doesn't mean more people don't have interest in the league.
They're too thick to see that though. Like I said in the other thread, it took a brit heading up the station to see the benefits of eL coverage. Since he's gone, and Irish people have taken the top slots, the station shows it's disdain for our football league. More talksport than 5live.

Slash/ED
23/09/2005, 12:43 PM
I prefer Gilroy, the other fella just bores me. I've stopped listening to Newstalk altogether, it's gone backwards and not just because of the EL coverage.

Anyway their EL coverage involved giving Roddy Collins an audience for his b*ll*cksology, so it's absence is probably a good thing for the health and perception of the league.

thejollyrodger
23/09/2005, 12:43 PM
RTE and the Irish Times are the only crowd which I can commend.

The Sunday Tribune is a paper which should get a kick up the rear end. They used to run the paper without the Eircom league table in the sport section. They rarely print an article about the EL but have pages and pages on the English PL.

BohDiddley
23/09/2005, 1:53 PM
Didn't the Turbine once call for the total disbandment of EL?

Larry 'da' Wyse
23/09/2005, 1:57 PM
[QUOTE=thejollyrodger]I would like to say hats off to the Irish Times for their coverage of the Eircom League. Its probably the best newspaper around for coverage.

Apart from Saturday's edition when you are lucky to get Div. 1 results and they never the Divisional table.

Irish Examiner is best for me.

Jaime
23/09/2005, 3:27 PM
In fairness, I think the old format eL show on Newstalk was amateurish, where they had the fans on arguing with one another. A weekly rant from Roddy, mixed with Dan McDonnell talking for 15 minutes about the weekend's games is about right IMO. None of the presenters are particularly liekable, but that's not the most important thing.

wws
23/09/2005, 3:57 PM
In fairness, I think the old format eL show on Newstalk was amateurish, where they had the fans on arguing with one another. A weekly rant from Roddy, mixed with Dan McDonnell talking for 15 minutes about the weekend's games is about right IMO. None of the presenters are particularly liekable, but that's not the most important thing.

thats still the format - once a month they hold a fans forum - its a mixed bag

i dont think over use of roddy just cause hes the newstalk media whore is a great idea

harry crumb
23/09/2005, 4:12 PM
Here in Cork we get great coverage from the local media which I believe is of huge benefit.

The Evening Echo has something on the back page at least twice a week about city and there is loads of culumns etc.

The Inside Cork weekly paper has a section for Cork City and Damien Richardson also has a column.

Red FM are official radio station so they usually have a story re city on their bullitans.

96 FM are not as pro City as they could be, but Ken Tobin is a big City fan and he usually previews the matches on Friday with Billy Barry.

We do not get anywhere near that type of in depth coverage in the national papers bar the Examiner.
Meanwhile in Dublin the Evening Herald rarely has any a Dublin club on the back and more than likely it will be on the front about some crowd violence :rolleyes:

Conor H
23/09/2005, 10:00 PM
Here in Cork we get great coverage from the local media which I believe is of huge benefit.

The Evening Echo has something on the back page at least twice a week about city and there is loads of culumns etc.

The Inside Cork weekly paper has a section for Cork City and Damien Richardson also has a column.

Red FM are official radio station so they usually have a story re city on their bullitans.

96 FM are not as pro City as they could be, but Ken Tobin is a big City fan and he usually previews the matches on Friday with Billy Barry.

We do not get anywhere near that type of in depth coverage in the national papers bar the Examiner.
Meanwhile in Dublin the Evening Herald rarely has any a Dublin club on the back and more than likely it will be on the front about some crowd violence :rolleyes:
That's because yere in Europe,top of the league and in the F.A.I cup semi final.

harry crumb
23/09/2005, 10:55 PM
That's because yere in Europe,top of the league and in the F.A.I cup semi final.

No, im talking in general.

Cork City get loads of coverage down in Cork media, compared with other media outlets in other towns etc.

Poor Student
24/09/2005, 9:34 AM

The Examiner is the local media, like. ;)

thejollyrodger
24/09/2005, 2:27 PM
Today the Irish Times has the following..............

It can only get better for new boy - La Liga

Fall in attendances serves as warning but there's no crisis - English PL

Blade leaves its mark on Keane - English PL

Rovers regroup as McGuinness faces long lay-off - English PL

Defiant Shelbourne keep their title hopes alive - Eircom League

UCD just fall short again - Eircom League

Classy Cork too hot for Sligo - Eircom League

Drogheda keep their season alive - Eircom League

Wenger is calm in the eye of a mini storm - English PL

Thats a pretty good balance IMO. The Irish examiner is ok but most of the stuff they print is re runs.

bigmac
24/09/2005, 2:47 PM
Rovers regroup as McGuinness faces long lay-off - English PL

Have Rovers switched leagues without anyone noticing? :D

monkey magic
24/09/2005, 3:04 PM
Have Rovers switched leagues without anyone noticing? :D

sure didnt roddy always say hed manage in the premiership :D

pete
25/09/2005, 5:08 PM
I don't know if the IT sports is that good but the reason its the best irish paper is they don't print too much wire service stuff like the Indo.