PDA

View Full Version : The Woodgate Disaster

M@ttitude
23/09/2005, 2:21 AM
Murphys law!!! You have to feel sorry for him, He hasnt played a game in 1.5 years, had to train with the under 14's for a while and on his comeback (debut) game scoring an og and getting sent off.. he's probably laughing himself :o

Jonathan Woodgate's debut for Real Madrid turned sour when the England defender scored an own goal and was then sent off against Athletic Bilbao at the Bernabeu.

Woodgate, who has not played a competitive match since April 2004 due to a troublesome thigh injury, put through his own net after 25 minutes to hand Bilbao the lead, heading Joseba Etxeberria's cross-shot past Iker Casillas.

His frustration boiled over on the stroke of half-time when he was booked for a crude lunge on Athletic's Carlos Gurpegi.

Woodgate's second yellow came 20 minutes into the second half for blocking off Etxeberria's run.

By that stage Real had turned things around to lead 2-1 thanks to goals from Robinho (52) and Raul (64), with the Real skipper sealing a 3-1 victory with a 68th-minute goal.

backodanet
23/09/2005, 7:48 AM
That debut will have to go down in history

i actually thought he played well while on the field gave them a bit of steel

OwlsFan
23/09/2005, 9:08 AM
Almost as bad as Jason Crowe who will always be remembered for his Arsenal first team debut, against Birimingham in the 1997/98 League Cup, when he received a red card after 33 seconds on the pitch!

NeilMcD
23/09/2005, 9:35 AM
A mate of mine was sent off for our club on his debut He came on as a sub and was sent off after 20 seconds.

thejollyrodger
23/09/2005, 9:41 AM
I thought it was hillarious :D:D It couldnt have happened to a better club.

But at the end of the day, Reál Madrid defenders are meant to act the bóllócks and his errors will no doubt please the crowd/media . I cant see it having any effect on his days at Reál, he probably will be like more so IMHO.

Éanna
23/09/2005, 11:24 AM
only surprise is that he didn't break both his legs scoring the og :rolleyes:

Junior
23/09/2005, 11:39 AM
Didn't Liam O'Brien get sent off on his Man U debut after a few seconds?

Risteard
23/09/2005, 12:05 PM
Could have got a straight red for the first booking but second was very very harsh.
He's exactly what Real need though.
Can see him doing very well there.

wws
23/09/2005, 12:16 PM
Didn't Liam O'Brien get sent off on his Man U debut after a few seconds?

against Southampton at the old dell (great fcking ground) if i recall correctly ???? - ah thems were the days - english first division games live on rte on a staurday - with commentry by the one and only....James Magee!

drinkfeckarse
23/09/2005, 12:43 PM
I think he got a standing ovation when he walked :eek: but I'm not sure if it was for comedy value or for his actual performance.

I don't like the guy myself but there's no doubting that he's a good player when he's fit so I'd say he'll do well there if he can stay fit.

I can't understand why they don't loan him out for 2 or 3 months though to get some match practise. He's naturally going to be rusty and Real Madrid is not the place to be, to be trying to get into your game again. It'll take a lot of games before he reaches the level he was at and that will probably include a few mistakes on the way to getting there. Madrid fans won't put up with too many...

wws
23/09/2005, 1:22 PM
Madrid fans won't put up with too many...

I find that line funny.....the whole club has been a disaster zone for the last two years at least

drinkfeckarse
23/09/2005, 1:58 PM
I find that line funny.....the whole club has been a disaster zone for the last two years at least

The whole team has been below par, they won't put up with a catologue of individual errors from a centre half. Not that hard to understand... :confused:

Armando
23/09/2005, 2:03 PM
With jokers like Pavon at centre half I'd walk straight into the side never mind Woodgate! They desperately need him to make an immediate impact. It was very amusing last night when Gerry Armstrong was lamenting Pavon as 'an accident waiting to happen' The commentator then said of Pavon that 'he is the only uncapped player at Real Madrid and that if it was found he had some N. Irish blood in him that he suspected Gerry wouldn't have him in the squad anyway'. Armstrong agreed with the immortal line - ' You don't beat England with centre halves like Pavon in your side' - PRICELESS :D

gustavo
24/09/2005, 2:36 PM
well Raul Bravo must be pure muck so!
I fully expect Woodgate to recover from this and form a good partnership with Helguera/Ramos

anto eile
25/09/2005, 2:39 PM
hilarious debut. hope he plays for real mierda like that every week!

Risteard
26/09/2005, 10:00 AM
Was it Walter Samuel or someone they signed aswell last season.
Where's he gone?

backodanet
26/09/2005, 10:13 AM
Was it Walter Samuel or someone they signed aswell last season.
Where's he gone?

playing with inter milan along with figo cambiasso and solari they'll probably give them another few and try to get adriano in the next year or 2

del fuego
11/10/2005, 9:10 PM
at least he's still getting his game but 2 own goals in 3 games is a dire record. bet he thought the worst was over with his debut!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/4332894.stm

sligoman
11/10/2005, 10:18 PM
at least he's still getting his game but 2 own goals in 3 games is a dire record. bet he thought the worst was over with his debut!Ah well, at least he didn't get sent off this time and it was only a friendly:D

anto eile
12/10/2005, 1:11 PM
hel soon be pushing raúl hard for a place up front with a goal scoring record like that!:D

Lim till i die
12/10/2005, 3:21 PM
I'm watching woodgates continued "progress" with glee, couldn't happen to a more deserving bloke, I hope the scumbag is never again happy in anything he does :D

dancinpants
19/10/2005, 8:07 PM
Scored Madrids first goal tonight against Rosenborg :eek: