PDA

View Full Version : Collins at your club

Frankfurt Hoop
23/09/2005, 1:30 AM
Just wondering, lads, how would you react to Roddy Collins arriving as manager of your club.

Your answers can have Collins arriving with or without his English carpetbagger friend, who apparently has the same bug for Irish football that he has for the Scottish second division.

Welcoming notes will be treated with interest however unpleasant comments will also be allowed...

Collins at your club :-0, what do you think?

MrJoeSoap
23/09/2005, 1:53 AM
I'd kill myself.

patsh
23/09/2005, 6:41 AM
Collins at Cork City?
HaHaHaHa :D :D :D

carrickharp
23/09/2005, 7:06 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :eek:

Macy
23/09/2005, 7:17 AM
Collins at your club :-0, what do you think?
Well if he was coming out with direct attacks against the club, in similar circumstances as he is at Rovers at the moment, I'd expect him to be sacked for gross misconduct. If that wasn't possible, he'd have gone through his final written warning and be gone that way if I had any say...

razor
23/09/2005, 8:56 AM
Collins at Cork City?
HaHaHaHa :D :D :DHe wouldn't be the first bluffer we've had.

Anto McC
23/09/2005, 9:20 AM
I would Cry

ThatGuy
23/09/2005, 10:30 AM
Rovers don't want him because of the 400 club, Cork don't want him because they are doing well, dito Shels and Derry, and his bridges with Bohs are burnt. Aside from those clubs, fans of other clubs are kidding themselves if they think that they would be better off without Collins and Mileson.

In the only job he had in Ireland where he had a decent budget and a bit of time he won the double and achieved two of the greatest European results in the history of Irish football.

You ask whether any club should take in Roddy Collins and a mutli-millionaire investor, and fans of Finn Harps and Longford sneer at this? Why???

Roddy at Bohs: Huge success.
Roddy's first spell at Carlisle: Decent.
Roddy's second spell at Carlisle: Disaster
Roddy at Dublin City: Tried to revive a relegated team and failed.
Roddy at Rovers: Give them back their 8 points and they would be having a very good season.

Macy
23/09/2005, 10:37 AM
You ask whether any club should take in Roddy Collins and a mutli-millionaire investor, and fans of Finn Harps and Longford sneer at this? Why???
Nothing to do with his (imo dubious) on field record, but the shíte he's coming out with against the people that saved Rovers, and therefore his job, is ridiculous. If that's the way he feels he should walk away, the fact he won't shows what type of man he really is.

Any investor is welcome to us, no more than it would be at bohs. But would you give up your membership structure and voting rights and control of dalyer for it?

joey B
23/09/2005, 10:38 AM
Roddy Collins = Football Genius :D ;)

Passive
23/09/2005, 10:42 AM
As a manager, I've no problem with Roddy. He won the double with Bohs and aside from that has managed to create an aura around himself due to his self-publicity. Aside from that one season at Bohs, he hasn't really achieved anything. However, he's pulled some good results out of the bag for us this season, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Where I do have a problem with Roddy is his off the field antics. He is telling very damaging lies about Rovers to any journalist who will listen and is also attempting to turn the dressing room against the new owners of the club. Should we be surprised by this? Not really.

Roddy at Bohs: Fired after falling out with the owners.
Roddy at Carlisle: Fired after falling out with the owners.
Roddy at Dublin City: Resigned, fell out with the owner and implied in radio interviews that the owner was in some way dodgy
Roddy at Rovers: Tells anyone who will listen that he is the man and that the owners don't know what they're doing.

And that's the problem with Roderick.

Poor Student
23/09/2005, 10:44 AM
I can categorically say we'd be better off without Roddy. I can't see him having the competence to run our club in a proper manner like Pete Mahon. As Doolin proved it can be detrimental if you cannot organise our club right down to the scholarship scheme. Also it's physically impossible for us to be taken over by a sugar daddy.

ThatGuy
23/09/2005, 10:46 AM
I can categorically say we'd be better off without Roddy. I can't see him having the competence to run our club in a proper manner like Pete Mahon. As Doolin proved it can be detrimental if you cannot organise our club right down to the scholarship scheme. Also it's physically impossible for us to be taken over by a sugar daddy.
I would take Roddy back before Peter Mahon any day of the week.

I think Passive's post is a fair enough summary of "The Rod".

Maynard
Roddy at my club, hmm...speaking purely hypothetically, I think I'd be ok with it. :D

bluemovie
We're doing terribly, look certainties for relegation and may even go bust, but at least we don't have Roddy. I think I'd rather start a new club in the Munster Senior League than be in the Premier with him.

To make for a more interesting discussion, you should offer people the choice of (a) Roddy at your club, (b) electric shock therapy on your nads or (c) waking up in bed beside Mary Harney.

The Stars
23/09/2005, 10:51 AM
Mary Harney all the way....she would keep you warm anyway

patsh
23/09/2005, 10:53 AM
He wouldn't be the first bluffer we've had.
And probably wouldn't be the last, but it would be the single most bizarre appointment in the history of football in Ireland.

ThatGuy
23/09/2005, 10:55 AM
We're doing terribly, look certainties for relegation and may even go bust, but at least we don't have Roddy. I think I'd rather start a new club in the Munster Senior League than be in the Premier with him.

You would rather the club went bust than have a double winning Eircom League manager come in with a multi-millionaire investor? Do you even believe that?

patsh
23/09/2005, 10:55 AM

To make for a more interesting discussion, you should offer people the choice of (a) Roddy at your club, (b) electric shock therapy on your nads or (c) waking up in bed beside Mary Harney.
There is no choice there at all, B ALL the way!:D

Éanna
23/09/2005, 11:15 AM
I've a lot of time for Roddy having met the guy once or twice, but I wouldn't like to see him at City. He's a decent guy and a decent manager, but he constantly lets himself down by talking ****e.

Macy
23/09/2005, 11:18 AM
You would rather the club went bust than have a double winning Eircom League manager come in with a multi-millionaire investor? Do you even believe that?
Surely bohs could do with the same, so would you give up your membership structure to have the pair at bohs? Would the rest of the membership?

hoops1
23/09/2005, 11:18 AM
Agree Eanna!

Colm
23/09/2005, 11:21 AM
Like Eanna, I too have a lot of time for Roddy. I've always found him to be a sound bloke on the few occasions I've chatted to him and he is a very good manager (Carlisle excepted). He also knows how to attract publicity.

I think Rico will probably only be at City for one more season after this as he only signed a two year contract and his health isn't the best. I'd happily see Roddy take over when the time comes.

Éanna
23/09/2005, 11:36 AM
Like Eanna, I too have a lot of time for Roddy. I've always found him to be a sound bloke on the few occasions I've chatted to him and he is a very good manager (Carlisle excepted). He also knows how to attract publicity.

I think Rico will probably only be at City for one more season after this as he only signed a two year contract and his health isn't the best. I'd happily see Roddy take over when the time comes.
with his lack of ambition? did you hear him on the coverage of the slavia game? He reckons the league has progressed as far as it can and will never improve. I don't want someone like that at my club.

Ash
23/09/2005, 12:24 PM
We have a habit of having player or former player managers so
it wouldnt really surprise me of Rodders came back to Town at
some stage!

Slash/ED
23/09/2005, 12:57 PM
I'd happily see Roddy take over when the time comes.

Not as happily as I'd see Roddy take over Cork when the time comes.

Colm
23/09/2005, 1:06 PM
with his lack of ambition? did you hear him on the coverage of the slavia game? He reckons the league has progressed as far as it can and will never improve. I don't want someone like that at my club.

That was just to cause a bit of controversy. I think you have to take what Roddy says with a pince of salt.
He wouldn't be my first choice to take over. I'd take Dolan or Kenny ahead of him but I wouldn't write him off totally as a future City manager.... Lennox was talking in the programme about how Roddy has more friends in Cork than he might realise after he smacked Ollie a few months back.

ThatGuy
23/09/2005, 1:12 PM
he smacked Ollie a few months back.
He never smacked Ollie though, did he?

Passive
23/09/2005, 2:34 PM
I know this won't be of interest to everyone, but given the amount of coverage in the press devoted to Mr. Collins' unsubstantiated claims about SRFC, here is the official response from the board of directors.

A Press Statement
Issued by the board of directors, Shamrock Rovers FC
23/09/05

It’s now almost two months since the fans took control of Shamrock Rovers following the well-publicised financial problems at the club, which resulted in Branvard - the company trading as Shamrock Rovers - going into Examinership and narrowly avoiding liquidation.

It was incumbent on the new, incoming board to immediately run the club’s financial affairs in a prudent manner and learn from the mistakes of the past; mistakes that almost killed the club.

A realistic budget was proposed, and agreed with the team management, in order to secure the club’s short-term viability and complete the 2005 season. This also allows the club some necessary breathing space to ensure stability in order to rebuild in a pragmatic and professional manner for the future development of Shamrock Rovers.

Subsequently, all contracted employees at Shamrock Rovers are being paid, in full, as per the terms of their contracts, while the board has also fully maintained monthly tax obligations on behalf of the club and its employees.

The board has also sought to improve the commercial/marketing element of the club, and is actively pursuing sponsorship at all levels and in a variety of ways.

In association with the team management, the board looks forward to assembling a squad for next season. The board is fully committed to establishing as strong a squad as possible for Shamrock Rovers, in an environment conducive to good morale and a positive team spirit.

The board is determined to continue the good practises they’ve initiated, which not only saved Rovers from extinction and carried the club successfully through the Examinership period, but will also provide a valid platform for generating success in the seasons ahead.

To do otherwise would not only be negligent and reckless, it would also be to the detriment of Shamrock Rovers and a gross insult to the club’s fantastic supporters.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Éanna
23/09/2005, 2:40 PM
spot on. fair play

Hecko
23/09/2005, 2:57 PM
I can't believe anyone with a sense of decency would want him, especially not City fans.

He has ability, but can't be trusted and has proven time and time again that he doesn't give a s**t about anything else The Rod. The Dublin City situation was the single shoddiest thing anyone has done in the league since Milltown and what he said on telly during the Slavia match pretty much sums him up - Can't give credit to anyone except himself. He couldn't acknowledge that Shels or Cork have achieved anything more than he did.

I don't like Fenlon 'cos he's an ungracious pain the hole, but the only real problem with him is that he's too passionate about his club. Dolan too gets a bit carried away with himself, but Shoddy Collins only is out for himself

Schumi
23/09/2005, 3:02 PM
Good to see the statement above but I can't believe that Roddy hasn't been sacked for the bull$hit he was coming out with last night on Newstalk. Would he have to be paid off?