PDA

View Full Version : Astro Turf Pitches

razor007
22/09/2005, 2:25 PM
Hi Lads,

I am currently applying for planning permission for the construction of astro weather soccer pitches and was wondering if you could inform me of what YOU would look for in a good pitch and also what p*sses you off. I want to try and make sure i have covered everything. Cheers.

The Stars
22/09/2005, 2:43 PM
This is not in any order of preferance but what i look for in an astro turf is:
#Looks like real grass.look at the pitches in the U-17 championships in peru.it has the appearance of burnt grass cos of the blazzing sun....good idea.
#good bounce of the ball.
#Grass doesnt rip th eknees of you when you tackle.
BTW you would be better off getting mondo-turf.it is what is now used.It is design for soccer whereas astro turf was originaly meant for hockey.

noby
22/09/2005, 2:53 PM
Make sure the fencing around it is really, really, really high.
I mean really high.
Especially behind the goal.
Really high.

And decent floodlights.

finlma
22/09/2005, 2:56 PM
Get the stuff that doesn't rip your leg open when you fall. I got an infected knee from sliding on astroturf and it was sore and ugly. I'm still scarred to this day.

razor007
22/09/2005, 3:22 PM
The surface i am going to put in is called FieldTurf which is FIFA and UEFA certified. It is also what the Premiership clubs have in their training grounds. It is the top stuff out there and the closest thing to grass.

Any opinions on the goals, whether they should be recessed or not

Drumcondra Red
22/09/2005, 3:40 PM
What do you mean by recessed? Also is it normal Astro, like hockey pitches or more like the type Dundalk have? (The long stuff?)

Where are you getting these pitches?

razor007
22/09/2005, 3:57 PM
By recessed, i mean the goals are set back into the kickboards around the pitch, as opposed to having a set of movable goals actually sitting on the pitch.

The surface is the exact same as Dundalk FC, except for the length of the "grass". Dundalk is 70mm, mine will be 63mm.

Location will be Maynooth, Co. Kildare

The Stars
22/09/2005, 4:01 PM
sure it will change lenght as the grass grows anyway.

Ash
22/09/2005, 4:18 PM
Most annoying thing I find in a lot of places is getting the teams on
before you to leave the pitch. The usual "next goal" shíte and people
taking their time leaving the pitch so you dont get your full hour or so.

Although I know of places where the lights are on a timer and when the
hour is up the lights go out so you cant play on.

oconghc2
22/09/2005, 5:35 PM
By recessed, i mean the goals are set back into the kickboards around the pitch, as opposed to having a set of movable goals actually sitting on the pitch.

The surface is the exact same as Dundalk FC, except for the length of the "grass". Dundalk is 70mm, mine will be 63mm.

id definately go with the movable goals. More natural when theres a bit of space behing line - less of an indoor feel to it.

Drumcondra Red
22/09/2005, 5:47 PM
Yeah, you want to steer clear of the whole boards rather then line thing, any full sized pitches??? Will they be ready for April for our international friendly???? (This is your job KT)

M@ttitude
22/09/2005, 10:07 PM
Recessed goals are the best, if your from maynooth take a spin up to dunboyne astro turf, we think thats the best around.. theres a net like ceiling about 12 foot high, makes you keep it down and the goals are recessed..

A face
22/09/2005, 11:01 PM
Although I know of places where the lights are on a timer and when the hour is up the lights go out so you cant play on.

That could be kinda dodgy though !! :eek:

It definitely has to be a real line and a real goal .... wins hands down. If you have the space then go with that. If its kickerboards then you cant cross the line. The more space you have the better.
Grass sounds OK ... floodlights, i think the more they are spread out the better. i.e four corner and two in the middle works better than just the four corners. Light spreads more evenly.
Should you consider looking into being able to play hockey there too, maybe have one night a hockey night ... just thinking of the money side of it. Have real goals (not recessed) would work better for this.

razor007
23/09/2005, 10:35 AM
The recessed goals will have a real goal line and goal net, it's just that they are built into the boards rather than on the pitch. It is not goals drawn on the kickboards !!!

I was convinced recessed goals would, hands down, be the preferred choice as it allows the full use of the pitch for playing.

Cheers M@ttitude, i didn't even know Dunboyne had an astro pitch. I will take a spin out there over the weekend. I was planning on the overhead netting also, as it drives me nuts having to go out and get the ball the whole time

Ash
23/09/2005, 10:45 AM
That could be kinda dodgy though !! :eek:

Sorry, meant gradually dim and when the hour is up go out so theres
a bit of a warning period

Is there not an AstroPark or something and a load of astro pitches
somewhere around there already ?

The recessed goals will have a real goal line and goal net, it's just that they are built into the boards rather than on the pitch. It is not goals drawn on the kickboards !!!

Im not overly fond of these type of goals. We used to play astro in a place
in Finglas that had these and there was more injuries caused by people hopping themsleves (and others) off the board when trying to get in and prevent crosses etc.

ColinR
23/09/2005, 10:47 AM
what size pitch are we talking about - is it just a normal five a side, or a larger 7/8 a side.

if it is the larger, i would incorporate a net system along the halfway, to enable the pitch to be split into two five a sides. it allows a much better flexibility when it comes to renting the bitch out.

the recessed goals are a must. if the pitch is to be used for clubs to train on, then i would suggest a full size aluminian (spelling?) set of goals should also be available to be brought in.

quality of your boarding around the pitch is also important. if they are attached to fencing rather than a wall, they may crack/break quite easily and need to be replaced.

also fencing around the pitch, must be high.

disagree with the height net - if you want to rent the pitch out to clubs to train on, they will want to practice freekicks, passing, etc that will necessitate the ball to travel in the air.

razor007
23/09/2005, 10:49 AM
Sorry, meant gradually dim and when the hour is up go out so theres
a bit of a warning period

Is there not an AstroPark or something and a load of astro pitches
somewhere around there already ?

There is one in Celbridge but the surface is sand based and gets dangerously slippy in the wet and also sand gets in your eyes when kicking the ball. Those pitches are completely outdated now compared to the new surfaces which are around

razor007
23/09/2005, 10:59 AM
disagree with the height net - if you want to rent the pitch out to clubs to train on, they will want to practice freekicks, passing, etc that will necessitate the ball to travel in the air.

The overhead netting would be 20 feet above the pitch level. That should be loads of space !!!

The pitches would be 6-a-side pitches and down the line, all things going well, i would be hoping to put in a bigger pitch which can be divided into 2, for the same reasons you correctly highlighted.

noby
23/09/2005, 12:01 PM
it allows a much better flexibility when it comes to renting the bitch out.

I think you want pimp.ie

Ash
23/09/2005, 12:06 PM
There is one in Celbridge but the surface is sand based and gets dangerously slippy in the wet and also sand gets in your eyes when kicking the ball. Those pitches are completely outdated now compared to the new surfaces which are around

Cool, best of luck with it anyway, the more pitches with decent facilties
available to people the better

cullenswood
23/09/2005, 12:37 PM
i would be hoping to put in a bigger pitch which can be divided into 2, for the same reasons you correctly highlighted.

One problem with this would be the net that goes down the middle. I hate playing on astro pitches that have a net, it really slows the games down. Also, I like it when the goals are recessed, as it keeps the game going, ie there are no goal kicks when the ball goes wide etc.

ColinR
23/09/2005, 1:21 PM
One problem with this would be the net that goes down the middle. I hate playing on astro pitches that have a net, it really slows the games down. Also, I like it when the goals are recessed, as it keeps the game going, ie there are no goal kicks when the ball goes wide etc.

it really depends on the type of netting you get. if the netting is heavy enough, and tightly spread accross the pitch the ball will simply bounce away from it. it is also an idea to make it 'weighty' at the bottom - it stops the net from blowing further into in of the pitches.

its a much better option than putting a wall through the pitch to make two five-sides and not allow a full length eight-a-side

Cosmo
23/09/2005, 1:27 PM
I think you want pimp.ie

Brilliant noby :D - didnt know you were a pimp now colin? :eek: