PDA

View Full Version : Champions League Semi-Final

City Fan
24/04/2002, 9:50 AM
So Real have finally broken their bad run at the Nou Camp. A 2-0 win was a great result by any standards. They are probably the only team in Europe who could've gone there last night and come out with such a great result. Is the tie now dead in the water or is there actually any point in playing the 2nd leg? All opinions are welcome.

Murphy Out Now!!

wiseman
24/04/2002, 10:08 AM
Looks like that tie is finished. Barca attack too deep. When Overmars hared off down the line there was no-one getting up front fast enough as Kleivert and Saviola were back by the half way line looking for the ball. Having said that they did have their chances and were unlucky not to score. I can't see them scoring 3 without reply.

City Fan
24/04/2002, 10:15 AM
Have to agree that Barca had their chances. As regards attacking too deep, isn't it just a case of they played how a home team should, failed to score and got caught with a double sucker punch? Also, didn't the Real defence work so hard as to make sure the Barca forwards were going to see as little of the ball as possible? Or maybe Saviola, Kluivert and co. are just overrated and not good enough for top level football.

Neil
24/04/2002, 1:08 PM
I thought Kluivert was rubbish (as he is every time I see him play .ie. versus ireland in Lansdowne Road). The guys Rockembach (?) and Motta were conifident (shooting from everywhere) but very ineffective.

Yer man Solari for Madrid was p!ssing me off. As far as I can remember he fell to the ground every time he got the ball!

The good thing about Real Madrid winning is that I would be more confident of them beating Manchester of England in the final (if they get there).

Éanna
24/04/2002, 2:08 PM
I didn't see the game, I was forced to sit thru Blackburn-v-Newcastle instead, but I was told Barca played better. Doesn't matter anyway, now those Catalan wasters can be taught a lesson in football at the home of the european cup- the Bernabeu. Hala Madrid!

Éanna
24/04/2002, 2:09 PM
Oh yeah, and bring on Man Utd in the final. Adios Ingleses

vlad
24/04/2002, 2:55 PM
Thought Zidane was class as usual last night. For a big man his balance and first touch is unbelievable and he always seems to make the game look so easy. As for Barca, they played plenty of pretty football but badly lack an out and out striker. Kluivert just seems to stroll around and is rarely in the box on end of crosses. Hope United scrape through so Real can teach them a lesson at Hampden!

pete
24/04/2002, 4:14 PM
Overall Real were really comfortable winners.\

Barca put the Real defense under huge pressure in the 1st half but once they wasted a couple of good chances seem to get frustrated. I think Real showed how good their defense was last night with the keeper in control all night.

Barca midfield really hassled Zidane in the 1st half & kept winning the ball back in the middle. Once Real scored their first goal (classy pass from Raul) the game seemed open up & Real looked like would always kill Braca off on the counter.

Real Madrid may but in world class players but they alos seem to be bringing a lot of young players they developing themselves.

I think i remember reading before that Kluivert has never seen himslef as a striker but more a link player. Either way he failed on both counts last night but then again he up against top class defenders like Helguera & Heirro.

I wouldn't take any odds for Barca progressing to the final. Barca have no hope whatsoever.

City Fan
25/04/2002, 9:59 AM
Originally posted by Éanna
Oh yeah, and bring on Man Utd in the final. Adios Ingleses

Hell, after last nights 2-2 draw with Leverkusen we might be saying adios to los ingleses a little sooner than expected.

Murphy Out Now!!

Neil
25/04/2002, 10:24 AM
The second semi-final was a real mickey mouse affair after the Real-Barca match wasn't it...

Leverkusen should have beaten the English team and hopefully will finish the job off in Germany on Tuesday. That guy Ballack will be a real threat against Ireland on June 5th.

City Fan
25/04/2002, 10:37 AM
Next to Real and Barca last night was always going to be a mickey mouse affair. After all, Real v Barca is THE game in World Football.
Leverkusen should definitely have won the match and I think they will finish the job off in Germany (assuming the Scums legendary good luck kicks in again!!). Not bad for a club who not so long ago were playing in the German regional leagues in front of 300 people!

Murphy Out Now!!

Éanna
25/04/2002, 10:39 AM
Leverkusen only played one striker and still got 2 goals, so at home they should have no problems beating Manchester.

pete
25/04/2002, 11:31 AM
Leverkusen seemed to be happy with 2-2 & the prospect of a home leg to come.

Manchester were lucky to even draw as both their goals were fairly fortunate. Their defense was absolutely woeful too.

If Leverkusen play like they did in their last hime game in europe then the english will be trashed. I can see the Manchester ones still fluking but its alos there now for Leverkusen to lose it.

City Fan
25/04/2002, 12:04 PM
Most teams would be happy with a 2-2 at Old Scumford in the away leg. The Scum most certainly were lucky to get a draw, and their first WAS very fortunate but, I think there's no disputing their "nd. It was a stonewall spotter. If Leverkusen are any good at all, they'll finish it in the Bayarena.

Murphy Out Now!!

Éanna
25/04/2002, 2:40 PM
Why do you keep calling them scum?!:confused:

City Fan
26/04/2002, 9:59 AM
Because they are, plus they're the most arrogant side in the game. Do I detect a closet United fan?:p

Murphy Out Now!!

pete
26/04/2002, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by City Fan
Because they are, plus they're the most arrogant side in the game. Do I detect a closet United fan?

Whats the difference? They just another foreign team. I see no difference between them & Liverpool or Galsgow Celtic fore that matter.

btw if it hasn't been obvious by now I hope every english team loses every game in europe. Thats why I don't bet on those games.

;)

Éanna
26/04/2002, 1:44 PM
Because they are, plus they're the most arrogant side in the game. Do I detect a closet United fan?
Firstly I'm not a Man Utd fan, closet or otherwise- the only teams in England I have any interest in are Blackburn, because I have fríends from there who support them, and any club which has an ex-city player on it's books- preston, reading, leic**ter etc

Secondly
Because they are. Might have escaped your attention, but the UEFA observer on weds night gave the manchester fans the top possible rating for behaviour, which apparently happens very rarely. As for the arrogance thing- when you win trophies every year, I think you're entitled to be a little arrogant. Anyway, I'd suggest that Real Madrid are a bit more arrogant- did you see roberto carlos v sparta prague? He was taking the p!ss out of them.

City Fan
29/04/2002, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Éanna

As for the arrogance thing- when you win trophies every year, I think you're entitled to be a little arrogant. Anyway, I'd suggest that Real Madrid are a bit more arrogant- did you see roberto carlos v sparta prague? He was taking the p!ss out of them.

Eanna, you perhaps rightly suggest that Real are more arrogant, yet say they are entitled to be. Why do you then criticise Carlos for showing the same arrogance you already condoned?:confused:

Ruairi
29/04/2002, 10:34 AM
I was a Utd fan in my youth (ah, thems were the days), and IMO anyone who resorts to calling them scum or arrogant are just jealous cause their team has one fcuk all since the Premiership started.

As for tomorrow night, I fancy 'em to get beaten. They were shockin in OT last week, and even with Keano back in the side and I can't really see Utd beating them. 2-1 on the night to Leverkusen I'd reckon.

City Fan
29/04/2002, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Ruairi
IMO anyone who resorts to calling them scum or arrogant are just jealous cause THEIR team has one fcuk all since the Premiership started.

MY team are Cork City, I SUPPORT City. Though I do like to see Liverpool do well, I never have and never will harbour the same grá for them that I do for City. Agree with ya though in thinking that United (that OK for You?) will lose tomorrow night.

Murphy Out Now!!:mad:

Éanna
30/04/2002, 1:40 PM
Eanna, you perhaps rightly suggest that Real are more arrogant, yet say they are entitled to be. Why do you then criticise Carlos for showing the same arrogance you already condoned?:confused:
I'm not criticising him at all. I just said he was taking the p!ss out fo them, because thats exactly what he was doing. Far from disliking it, I loved it!

Éanna
30/04/2002, 1:41 PM
Originally posted by Ruairi
As for tomorrow night, I fancy 'em to get beaten. They were shockin in OT last week, and even with Keano back in the side and I can't really see Utd beating them. 2-1 on the night to Leverkusen I'd reckon.
I was thinking that, but someone told me that Ballack is out for Bayer, which gives Utd a much better chance. Hopefully Bayer will do the job though, I still fancy them to.

pete
01/05/2002, 12:47 PM
I thought Manchester would get thumped but that was when minus Keane & think they could have been well beaten without him last night. Eventhough Leverkusen seemed tired & edgy last night i'm glad they made it to the final. Ze Roberto will be a loss in the final though. Manchester didn't deserve to get to the final whatever Ferguson says. Btw that Lucio guy is classy defender - be looking out for him in the WC.

I think Nowotny got injured last night & supposed to out for germany now? Can only be good news for Ireland + Roy Keane now has to play one less game & gets that little bit extra rest. Leverkusen contribute a good few players to the german squad & if last night is anything to go by they'll be knackered by time have to go through the European Cup final.

Éanna
01/05/2002, 12:58 PM
Leverkusen deserved it, and Ze Roberto's yellow card sets it up beautifully for Real to teach the world how to play football in the final.