PDA

View Full Version : College Tribune

Bald Student
21/09/2005, 12:47 PM
For those of you who haven't seen it here is the text of the college tribune's freshers' guide to soccer in Dublin.

Friday night is predominantly eircom League night, and there are various stadia dotted around the city which are guarenteed to at least provide a passionate atmosphere if not totally thrilling football. Champions Shelbourne are based in Drumcondra's Tolka Park on the number 16 bus route. Dalymount Park is accessed by the number 10 and is home to Bohemians and Shamrock Rovers. St. Pats are based in Richmond Park in Inchicore which you can find on the 19 bus.
On the international front etc...

Poor Student
21/09/2005, 1:15 PM
Ironic on purpose? :confused: Shall we write them a letter?

John83
21/09/2005, 3:31 PM
Ironic on purpose? :confused: Shall we write them a letter?
As likely sloppy accidental. Either way, outrage will doubtless help not a whit.

Poor Student
21/09/2005, 3:33 PM
Perhaps if one of us write a letter simply addressed as being sent from the supporters club (sounds fancier that way and also alerts people to the existence of this entity) we'd at least get a letter printed and raise a bit more awareness. Something a little more serious than Pineapple's one to the People though. :D

John83
21/09/2005, 3:45 PM
Perhaps if one of us write a letter simply addressed as being sent from the supporters club (sounds fancier that way and also alerts people to the existence of this entity) we'd at least get a letter printed and raise a bit more awareness. Something a little more serious than Pineapple's one to the People though. :D

Dear sir,

The UCD AFC Supporters' Club was distressed to see that the soccer section of your freshers' guide failed to note that UCD is, in fact, in Dublin. While we don't usually associate the glorious semi-pro tradition of UCD AFC with overpaid mediocrity like Shels and Bohs, or finincially suspect religation-fodder like Shamrock Rovers or St Pat's Athletic, we would appreciate it if a UCD paper producing a guide for the sake of UCD students would be so nice as to notice that there is an eircom League ground hidden just a few minutes walk from their offices. No, we refer not to the mythical home ground of Rovers, but instead to Belfield Park, which is over by Glenomena and the Nova Centre in the south-east of the campus.

Yours etc.,

Poor Student
21/09/2005, 3:48 PM
That was good John. :D Care to send it in? ;)

Schumi
21/09/2005, 4:32 PM
Spell relegation right and you're away. :p

Poor Student
21/09/2005, 4:41 PM
Should we send in a nice dollop of sarcasm like that? I was actually thinking of a nice dull letter inviting students to come.

Colie
21/09/2005, 5:23 PM
Proves what we already know about UCD & its wonderful eL tradition.

I bet the roggers got a few pages or a separate section in the Freshers Guide :mad: . Gimps.

pineapple stu
21/09/2005, 6:31 PM
Something a little more serious than Pineapple's one to the People though. :D
Hey, I feel so much better after sending in that e-mail! :)

No reply yet though... :p

John83
22/09/2005, 3:20 PM
Spell relegation right and you're away. :p
No chance of that. The spell-check option on Gmail is a life-saver.

Should we send in a nice dollop of sarcasm like that? I was actually thinking of a nice dull letter inviting students to come.
Aw, heck, no one reads a dull letter. If you want to send in a dull one, I'll send in the sarcastic one. Two letters are better than one.

John83
30/09/2005, 8:38 AM
Dear sir,

The UCD AFC Supporters' Club was distressed to see that the soccer section of your freshers' guide failed to note that UCD is, in fact, in Dublin. While we don't usually associate the glorious semi-pro tradition of UCD AFC with overpaid mediocrity like Shels and Bohs, or finincially suspect religation-fodder like Shamrock Rovers or St Pat's Athletic, we would appreciate it if a UCD paper producing a guide for the sake of UCD students would be so nice as to notice that there is an eircom League ground hidden just a few minutes walk from their offices. No, we refer not to the mythical home ground of Rovers, but instead to Belfield Park, which is over by Glenomena and the Nova Centre in the south-east of the campus.

Yours etc., I've sent this in, with some spelling corrections (you missed one Ciarán!). Marcus, have you sent in your more reasonable one?

Poor Student
30/09/2005, 2:56 PM
I've sent this in, with some spelling corrections (you missed one Ciarán!). Marcus, have you sent in your more reasonable one?

I forgot. Do I have time before the next one?

John83
30/09/2005, 6:00 PM
I forgot. Do I have time before the next one?
Probably. Give it a lash.

CollegeTillIDie
01/10/2005, 5:45 PM
Dear sir,

Yours etc.,

Well said John83

CollegeTillIDie
02/10/2005, 3:12 PM
Any response from the Tribune yet lads?

Poor Student
02/10/2005, 3:27 PM
To be honest I have no idea when the piece of garbage comes out. If it hasn't come out by the next time I go in I'll write the letter. I'll let you know CTID.

John83
03/10/2005, 8:13 AM
Any response from the Tribune yet lads?

Dear John,

I have decided to include your letter in the issue in the fairness of free speech etc.

However, I would like to point out that the article on page 22 of the College Tribune 20/09/05 entitled 'A Sportsman's
Heaven' had already mentioned the eircom league side.

I qoute " UCD have teams in the top division of the AIB All Ireland Rugby league and the eircom league in soccer. The soccer
team are based in Belfield Park, which can be accessed by walking by the athletics track. The season will continue until
November."

We did not feel it was neccessary to repeat ourselves.

The College Tribune is committed to promoting sport in UCD and as a UCD paper gives primacy to College sport.
We apologise to the UCD AFC's Supporters Club if they felt that we had ommitted the soccer team. Nothing could be further
from the truth.

Yours

Eoin Mac Aodha
Editor
College Tribune
Two sentances, buried at the end of a long piece. I'm not molified at all. Still, fair dues to them for printing it!

Aberdonian Stu
05/10/2005, 1:05 PM
Well they printed the letter. I saw it in it today.