PDA

View Full Version : Green Street

tetsujin1979
21/09/2005, 10:49 AM
Anyone else check out the movie? Saw it last night, thought it was well worth the watch. Went with 2 girls, one thought it was excellent, but not a film she would have picked to watch. The other was traumatised by it!! To be fair the fight scenes are fairly visceral, like Fight Club. Overall I preferred ID (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113375/) (another hooligan flick) but the ending in GS is far better than the ending in ID.

Peadar
21/09/2005, 10:53 AM
How does it compare to Football Factory?

Pablo
21/09/2005, 11:04 AM
How does it compare to Football Factory?

i thought it was particularly cliched. dodgy cor blimey accents etc

i'd give it 5/10 max

MariborKev
21/09/2005, 11:08 AM
Similiar to the Bourne Supremacy incident where there was a Cork fan spotted, the same is true of a Derry fan in Green Street

The bit were Wood is waiting for his luggage at the airport, a big Derry City fan is also spotted in the frame

Pablo
21/09/2005, 11:18 AM
Similiar to the Bourne Supremacy incident where there was a Cork fan spotted, the same is true of a Derry fan in Green Street

The bit were Wood is waiting for his luggage at the airport, a big Derry City fan is also spotted in the frame

cork fan in the bourne supremacy! never heard that???

Peadar
21/09/2005, 11:24 AM
cork fan in the bourne supremacy! never heard that???

There's a clip where you catch a glimpse of the old Le Coq navy shorts.

Cosmo
21/09/2005, 11:24 AM
Haven't seeing it yet - a big group of mates of mine who are west ham supporters (drogs supporters first though :) ) are planning on going to it together. I'm going to head with them hoping theres a few scenes of west ham getting the sh!t kicked out of them ;) .

Looking forward to it - the Football factory was 100% muck but this one has been getting good reviews

Peadar
21/09/2005, 11:30 AM
the Football factory was 100% muck but this one has been getting good reviews

Reviews aren't worth the paper they're printed on theses days.
I expect Green Street to be equally as poor as Football Factory because it's a story which has been told too many times now. Glorifying the football hooligans who are no better than the loyalist rioters in Belfast.

Dublin12
Very far fetched,as if a little weedy American hobbit is gonna end up being West Ham's top boy,do me a favour guv :)

Pablo
Haven't seeing it yet - a big group of mates of mine who are west ham supporters (drogs supporters first though :) ) are planning on going to it together. I'm going to head with them hoping theres a few scenes of west ham getting the sh!t kicked out of them ;) .

Looking forward to it - the Football factory was 100% muck but this one has been getting good reviews

west ham are freaked out about it. hardly puts them in the good light......

judge for yourself but its worse than football factory imo. cringingly cliched

Drumcondra Red
21/09/2005, 11:41 AM
Haven't seen it yet, football factory was hilarious!!! But why did West Ham allow the use of their stadium/ name in the first place??? (I think I saw Upton Park in a clip for the movie)

tetsujin1979
21/09/2005, 11:56 AM
Reviews aren't worth the paper they're printed on theses days.
I expect Green Street to be equally as poor as Football Factory because it's a story which has been told too many times now. Glorifying the football hooligans who are no better than the loyalist rioters in Belfast.
I haven't seen Football Factory so I can't comment on it.
I don't think Green Street particularly glorifies hooliganism, the last third of the film does show how people's lives improve when they leave the firm, and what staying in the firm can do to you as you get older.

I think I saw Upton Park in a clip for the movie
Yeah, one of the first things Elijah Wood does on arriving in England is get taken to a West Ham game by his sister's brother in law. The game footage lasts for about 10 minutes in total and it's the only actual football in the whole film.

Ash
21/09/2005, 12:04 PM
But why did West Ham allow the use of their stadium/
name in the first place??? (I think I saw Upton Park in a clip for the movie)

Not 100% sure if this is true but, I heard that they told WHU that they wanted
footage of Upton Park and games for a film but neglected to say it was a film
about cockney/WHU hooligans etc. The club just saw it as a bit of publicity,
not realising what it was about.

Havent seen it yet but I'll probably watch it over the weekend if its in the
cinema here.

Drumcondra Red
21/09/2005, 12:14 PM
Might go see it later, if I can find anyone who hasn't seen it yet!!!

Colm
21/09/2005, 12:15 PM
It was a bit cliched alright but I enjoyed it.

A little bit better than football factory imo. I haven't seen ID so can't comment in relation to that.

Well worth going to see though.

Pablo
21/09/2005, 1:45 PM
It was a bit cliched alright but I enjoyed it.

A little bit better than football factory imo. I haven't seen ID so can't comment in relation to that.

Well worth going to see though.

ID is certainly the best of the genre

rebs23
21/09/2005, 2:54 PM
ID is certainly the best of the genre

Is ID the one where the teams are (ficticous) Shadwell and Wapping?

A face
21/09/2005, 3:36 PM
Is ID the one where the teams are (ficticous) Shadwell and Wapping?

Yup ... thats it

Drumcondra Red
21/09/2005, 3:37 PM
We are Shadwell, the rock is our place, we shall never, ever, ever lose face!

Shadwell army, Shadwell army :D

A face
21/09/2005, 3:37 PM
Thought Trouble on the Terraces and Hooligan were fairly good too.

What did people think of the Firm ??

A face
21/09/2005, 3:40 PM
We are Shadwell, the rock is our place, we shall never, ever, ever lose face!

Shadwell army, Shadwell army :D

Though it was ....

We are Shadwell, the kennel is our home ...

tetsujin1979
21/09/2005, 3:43 PM
had the link to the imdb page in the original post, click ID for it (not very obvious I know)
Here the link again http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113375/

Ash
22/09/2005, 9:02 AM
Though it was ....

We are Shadwell, the kennel is our home ...

I thought it was ...

We are Shadwell
The Kennels is our place
Shadwell never never never
Lose face

Although its years since I watched it

Drumcondra Red
22/09/2005, 10:14 AM
I used to think it was Kennel, but that was their ground, the rock was their boozer! And it was defo we shall never ever ever loose face...

Anyway, saw green street last night, I enjoyed, good fighting scenes but after the fotball meets, it just really turned to gang rivalry and vendettas, good flick though, bit similar to FF in some ways, totally different in others!

anto eile
22/09/2005, 11:12 AM
crap film. clichéd predictable and elijah wood.
absolute rubbish. thought it was funny in some parts (though it wasnt meant to be)
i literally cringed in some parts too.
awful

football factory wasnt bad though.i liked it

id was very good.years since i seen it though

Drumcondra Red
22/09/2005, 11:31 AM
See I think I liked GS because its new and modernised, yer mans accent was shyte, wheres he actually from??? But its a decent movie, I wouldn't go as far as crap, cause I enjoyed it, although I did laugh when you're not supposed to!

EDIT: Found out he's from Newcastle!

Neish
25/09/2005, 3:37 PM
Had intended to see Green Street last friday but for some reason Letterkenny Cinema was only showing it at 4:10 pm :confused: .

A mate said he can download it, so I may get it off him.

The Fotball factory film was a big pile of ****, I read the book and the film is terrible compared to it.

Thought I.D. was good, also have a film called the Firm(no not the Tom Cruise film) a hooligan with west ham fans competeting to be top firm for travelling to the world cup. Gary Oldman is in it think it was made for tv.

It alright but nothing special